ADVERTISEMENT

Pinewood v Mitty

Mitty now at line for 2 shots, missed the first, time out. Pinewood 65-64.

FT made to tie, Pinewood tries to get downcourt with 5 seconds left... steal, long shot, NO!!!

We have ANOTHER overtime...

The boys game ain't starting on time... Pinewood up three with 1:16 to go and the ball.

Pinewood's had several good chances to win this. A score here would be huge.

Briana Claros with the drive with the shoot clock down to take a five point lead. Then she secures the rebound at the other end. Makes a free throw 73-67, 38 seconds.

Hannah Jump leads all scoring with 24 points, including 6-11 from beyond the arc. 20 points for Brianna Claros. She came up big down the stretch.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
man, sounds like it was a helluva game! Grats to Pinewood for doing the unthinkable, well for everyone except in that locke room! ;)

I'm grateful to have survived my grief to see that one. suddenly, life's worth living again. nothing against Mitty--just an inspirational game.

Last edited:
Fantastic!!!!
..H. Jump shot 11 threes anybody know how many PW shot must have been close to 30...the great leveler...when you can shoot and your practice them all day long you might as well... bomb away!!!!
Game with Winward should be good...Osbourne is an amazing athlete

Overall Pinewood was 11-26 from the three-point line. Mitty was 7-31. Pinewood actually outrebounded Mitty 50-45. But remember, Haley Jones fouled out midway through the fourth and missed all of the overtimes.

Reactions: 5MatchUp
Hannah Jump was amazing. Not many scorers in the country that score with such limited opportunities. Tough break for Mitty with Blakes injury and Jones foul out but that is why they play games.

Pinewood should be #1 in the country but we will hear all the experts explain that a loss to Salesian eliminates them. Where Paytc when we need him

Yes, Pinewood lost to Mitty in the CCS championship for the third year in a row. I believe they had lost their last seven games to the Monarchs. Must be sweet indeed for Pinewood.

For fans of prep basketball on the Peninsula/South Bay, this one ranks right up there with the five-OT titanic between the boys of Ravenswood and St. Elizabeth's in 1962. That one decided the championship of the old Peninsula Basketball Tournament at the ancient, creaking Stanford gym.

Reactions: OneDNA
Yes, Pinewood lost to Mitty in the CCS championship for the third year in a row. I believe they had lost their last seven games to the Monarchs. Must be sweet indeed for Pinewood.

And beating both SMS and Mitty within a few days of each is something else indeed.

Great game from both teams. Klara Astrom was in foul trouble two weeks ago, and this time, Haley Jones and Anna McNicholas combined for 42 minutes before fouling out. Astrom played 42 minutes, Kaitlyn Leung played 42, and both Briana Claros and Hannah Jump played 44.

Tremendous effort on both sides, and as much drama as anyone could want (or stand).

Pinewood-Windward should be a fun one ...

Astrom was especially significant. At 5-9, she was assigned a Mitty big kid throughout. She hustled, scrapped, boxed out, ran the floor, dove for loose balls, rebounded like a 6-2 kid, fought for every inch of space inside, happily took charges, set tough screens, did all of the dirty work, the blue-collar stuff that coaches love. She was so outstanding away from the ball it was something to see. There has to be video of that titanic. Every coach ought to check it out to watch No.11 operate. She didn't have to score a single point in that game to be effective and critically important. What a player. What an athlete. What a competitor.

Historic win tonight! Time to Respect the Pinewood program and Doc Scheppler's coaching brilliance.
Since when hasn't Pinewood's program been respected? Doc is regarded as one of the nation's best high school coaches and probably the country's best shooting coach. I don't recall anyone saying anything negative about him or his teams.

Now perhaps one can see why the Carondelet horrible decision to punish their entire team (For the irresponsible decision of 1 or 2) and the rest of the entire Open division was not a decision to be taken lightly. It was a situation where a couple adults rushed to punish instead of following the correct procedure which would have allowed calmer and more reasonable heads to prevail. There were other options to consider. It allowed Pinewood a bye over several seeds that were higher than Pinewood were. If anyone should have gotten a bye it should have been Mitty or SMS. The team with the bye has the advantage of more rest and more preparation. They were allowed to instead of playing Carondelet in the first game to go out and scout SMS and Mitty, then practice to be better prepared for them.

Add that to the fact that IMO Mitty, SMS, and Pinewood were all in the very elite level. Those 3 IMO were slightly better than the rest of the pack. When you add it all up Mitty losing Nicole Blakes, Pinewood getting a bye, and already being very familiar with Mitty, made a great contest even more challenging. Not to take anything away from Pinewood because I'm a Pinewood fan. I'm a Mitty fan. I'm a SMS fan. Ima a high level of basketball brand fan.

Congratulations to Pinewood ! Best wishes against Windward.

Last edited:
Is it fair to state that Pinewood, sans a 6-footer in the middle and with little quality depth to speak of, gets more out of less than any other elite program in NorCal?

Reactions: Paytc
Now perhaps one can see why the Carondelet horrible decision to punish their entire team (For the irresponsible decision of 1 or 2) and the rest of the entire Open division was not a decision to be taken lightly. It was a situation where a couple adults rushed to punish instead of following the correct procedure which would have allowed calmer and more reasonable heads to prevail. There were other options to consider. It allowed Pinewood a bye over several seeds that were higher than Pinewood were. If anyone should have gotten a bye it should have been Mitty or SMS. The team with the bye has the advantage of more rest and more preparation. They were allowed to instead of playing Carondelet in the first game to go out and scout SMS and Mitty, then practice to be better prepared for them.

Add that to the fact that IMO Mitty, SMS, and Pinewood were all in the very elite level. Those 3 IMO were slightly better than the rest of the pack. When you add it all up Losing Nicole Blakes, getting a bye, and already being very familiar with Mitty made a great content even more challenging. Not to take anything away from Pinewood because I'm a Pinewood fan. I'm a Mitty fan. I'm a SMS fan. Ima a high level of basketball brand fan.

Congratulations to Pinewood ! Best wishes against Windward.

Your point is well-taken. But, a contrarian view might suggest that Pinewood actually was damaged (forced to be idle and a bit rusty) by not playing on that opening playoff date. If they had, they might have beaten SMS even more soundly. At least that would be the argument. As it was, they managed to squeeze past SMS on the road anyway. As for Mitty, that one is what it is, or was.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Your point is well-taken. But, a contrarian view might suggest that Pinewood actually was damaged by not playing on that opening playoff date. If they had, they might have beaten SMS even more soundly. At least that would be the argument. As it was, they managed to squeeze past SMS on the road anyway. As for Mitty, that one is what it is, or was.

I think it also allowed Pinewood to be better prepared for SMS. One could argue anyway and have a valid point. Because as I have been saying all along before the open division seeds were selected Mitty, Pinewood, and SMS were slightly better than all the rest. But I bet both SMS and Mitty, if given the option, would have preferred to ( rest late in the season) not play Friday and send their people out to scout Pinewood and/ or anyone else they considered a major threat.

One major point I was making is the decision Carondelet made hastily effected far more than just the 10 or 11 Carondelet players who acted responsibly and should have been allowed to finish the season after working as hard as they did to position themselves for a chance at a state championship. That decision had an impact. I don't think anyone can convince me that it had no effect outside of Carondelet.

That is why I created the post that was encouraging all the Open division coaches to contest the Carondelet forfeit. I knew all along that Carondelet should have been allowed to be in the Open and the 1 or 2 players who acted irresponsibly should have been punished alone. Or the punishment should have been something other than a forfeit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT