ADVERTISEMENT

Pinole baseball player scholarship rescinded

ball of fame

Sports Fanatic
Dec 8, 2002
After a racist rant caught on video after a game against St Marys this week went viral. Northridge rescinded the scholarship. Lesson learned for young people that you better keep your emotions in check. Poof there goes 100,000 out the door.

After a racist rant caught on video after a game against St Marys this week went viral. Northridge rescinded the scholarship. Lesson learned for young people that you better keep your emotions in check. Poof there goes 100,000 out the door.

Yep, Blaine wrote the best I have ever seen and kids STILL won't adhere

HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS & SOCIAL MEDIA

Today I was researching the correct spelling of a player's last name before sending him an invitation for Bay Area World Series Underclass. So of course I entered the player's name and his school into a Google search. The results of the search directed me to this player's Twitter account. Interesting.

When I was a college coach and a MLB scout, I did what most recruiters and scouts do, I researched players via social media, looking for as much background information as possible regarding the character and off field habits of players. I searched Facebook, MySpace and had Twitter been as big as it is now, I'd have searched Twitter too. You would think (ok, maybe hope is a better word) kids these days would be much more aware of how their socialmedia musings can reflect upon them. Guess what? They aren't.

Simply put, if you are a player who wants to be recruited or wants to be drafted and you are posting stuff on your Facebook or Twitter account that reflects negatively on your character or off field habits or social circle you run with, you can and likely will be ELIMINATED from consideration by recruiters and scouts. Yes, it's a fact. I eliminated players based on the poor choice of an email address handle, based on what I found on Facebook pages, based on conversations with a high school coach about practice habits. Someday you will want a job and you will apply for one. An employer will check your background.

Read that again if you are a player. If you are a parent reading this, then I suggest you become MUCH more aware of any social media accounts your son or daughter might have and what they are posting and who they are linked to (yes, that matters too). You work hard for your kids. They likely are working hard in the classroom and in the weight room and on the practice fields. However, all that work can and will be undermined by their social media habits.

When I found the player's Twitter account today, the most recent post was just the type that would raise a red flag if I was a recruiter or scout. Then I scrolled his tweet history and found A LOT more disturbing posts, the types of postings that would eliminate him from a recruiter's radar.

I will not throw this kid under the bus and tell you his name or what he posted. I just hope someone helps him figure out that he is well on the way to ruining his chances of playing major college baseball (I have no idea yet if he is that good) if he keeps up the type of Twitter activity he has displayed to this point.

I am not suggesting this player or ANY young player who makes poor social media choices is a bad person, not at all. Clearly kids do foolish things (and doing foolish things is not a market cornered by only young people). I did foolish things as a high school kid that could have limited the interest recruiters would have had in me. However, I was a high school kid from 1987-1991 and social media did not exist.

Players, it's true, as your parents and coaches have told you, you never know who is watching, who is listening, who is paying attention to you. If the guy who runs Bay Area World Series is looking for information about you, I think you can safely assume a Pac-12 recruiting coordinator is looking a little deeper and a little harder.

Make better choices.

Sounds Like Greg Moores program. Good for Greg. Looks like they took the viral down...

I agree to a point. But in the end if you have talent people don't care and it doesnt really matter what you say or do!

Mr. Winston is a perfect example. Kid is persona of "character flaws", "red flags" and is semi literate at best. Does it matter? Nope, just ask the Bucs.

Bella123
You may have it a tad incorrect. The kid made about 10 poor to terrible choices within his social life. As far as football, Bill Polian, Dilfer and Gruden said the kid is way more intelligent then some of the others drafted in the NFL in past years.

..then Pinole loses the league championship today by one point to Saint Mary's today without this genius.

BRILLIANT!!!

..then Pinole loses the league championship today by one point to Saint Mary's today without this genius.

BRILLIANT!!!
Sorry Ballaz. Pinole never suspended him from team. The kid started against St. Mary's in championship and played the entire game. He will continue to play throughout NCS playoffs. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Sorry Ballaz. Pinole never suspended him from team. The kid started against St. Mary's in championship and played the entire game. He will continue to play throughout NCS playoffs. It is what it is.

Well then I guess the Pinole administration has their priorities straight...

Pinole Valley has FOUR African-American coaches. And there should be no doubt based upon PV demographics they weighed in on this young man's transgression.

Pinole Valley has FOUR African-American coaches. And there should be no doubt based upon PV demographics they weighed in on this young man's transgression.

Then shame on THE Fab FOUR. The video, the audio doesn't lie. Why would Greg Moore from CSUN retract his scholarship by ONLY watching the video?

Then shame on THE Fab FOUR. The video, the audio doesn't lie. Why would Greg Moore from CSUN retract his scholarship by ONLY watching the video?
Can't and won't get in to it but it went to the top at that school.

Can't and won't get in to it but it went to the top at that school.

NCSF - I don't need the gory details Coach, I was just mentioning to 1315 about his post that they had FOUR AA coaches and my take was "should I care" and should that alleviate the young mans poor choice of words? That is all that I meant regardless of whether it went to the TOP at that school or not.

Kl, read my post again. Heads up; both my parents taught in an inner city, impoverished predominantly black town. I need zero inference about how offensive racist language can be when offered by another race. On the other hand, the kid who tweeted the vid has some pretty spicy language of his own, not acceptable in print here or elsewhere. Quid pro quo. Coach Moore, whom I've spoken with along the recruiting trail and is so highly respected, had no choice. A viral racist outburst, no matter what happened earlier which the vid did NOT catch, is fatal. Too many very good players with stellar character.

NCSF - I don't need the gory details Coach, I was just mentioning to 1315 about his post that they had FOUR AA coaches and my take was "should I care" and should that alleviate the young mans poor choice of words? That is all that I meant regardless of whether it went to the TOP at that school or not.
Not disagreeing in anything you said. My point was this came from the president and AD. Everybody was on the same page.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT