ADVERTISEMENT

Post-summer Bay-Area-Only Top Ten

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
I saw an article on West Coast Preps, got the idea to start with their takes and then go from there:

Top 10 teams are their rankings, not mine.

1) Riordan (King Jshanni-White returns, don't know what else they've got coming back (or in).

2) Mitty (Loaded, with Derek Sangster and Jaiden Paran leading a host of returnees)

Yup, WCAL has the top two spots... I would reverse these, but I don't get to see a lot of WCAL since I live in the East Bay. Besides, I think the EBAL is set for a banner year.

3) Dublin (Courtney Anderson leads what looks to be a truly fearsome squad with several guys who should eventually get D1 or high D2 schollies)

4) DLS (They lose a lot of studs, but Alec Blair is fantastic, and the DLS system always seems to find a way)

5) Dougherty Valley (Beasley and Sevilla, incredible guard duo. If they can get some inside help, watch the bleep out!)

6) Branson (Nearly everyone back from last year's terrific group. Need I say more?)

7) Salesian (Team started uncharacteristically slow last year, bet that doesn't happen again... Zion Wilburn transfers from Pinole Valley to add to Tyler Harris and several other studs)

8) Campo (The Cougs will be "down" a little bit, but the cupboard ain't bare! O'Reilly, Robeson, and Naffziger to the rescue! Based on what I saw in summer tourneys, the JV's could very well have a guy or two that finds himself contributing on the varsity this year. JV's have a lot of size and ability for that level.)

9) Oakland Tech (Top three scorers will be back, otherwise I know almost nothing 'bout these guys.)

10) SRV (Seamus Deely leads a terrific squad that seems to slip under the radar and pull off big wins.)

Yup, four EBAL teams in the top ten... with Granada and California in the honorable mentions. I never got to see Granada this summer, but have heard they'll be reallllllyyyy good despite not having Kevin Gad anymore... I did get an eyeful of California, however... They had two varsity squads playing at the Moreau tournament and both looked quite solid. That coach will have some tough decisions to make come time to sort out that roster... That league is gonna be a battle royale!

Honorable mentions, also taken from West Coast Preps, but I didn't try to rank 'em like they did...

Moreau, University, St. Ignatius, Northgate, Oakland, Vanden, Liberty, Pinole Valley, Clayton Valley Charter, O'Dowd, Sacred Heart Prep, Granada, Miramonte, Piedmont, California

Last edited:
p.s. If I had to bet right now, I'd have Dublin facing Modesto Christian for the NorCal Open title.

Riordan returns 3 starters and 4 others that were part of its rotation. Along with Wilhite, The Crusaders return guards Woodson, Jones and Bundage and 6-6 bigs in Chala, Wise and Rencher.
Mitty graduated 2 of its top 3 scorers in Cabebe and Burke. Paran and Jones should be fine replacements.

Last edited:
Reactions: ayalar09
St. Ignatius has John Squire first team all-league returning but lost 12 seniors and had at best an average JV team last. Why the honorable mention.

St. Ignatius is adding two spectacular incoming freshman in Raymond Whitley and Caeden Hutcherson…..both of which should be Varsity players.

Whitley is good enough to where he will challenge KJW and Sangster for WCAL POY honors.

University needs to be in the top 10….they are actually better this year, and added the entire Bay City Freshman class to their team….capable of beating anyone in the top 10

I would also have Dougherty and Branson ranked higher.

Jasir Rencher on Riordan is another player who will be in the POY conversation.

On a smaller scale don’t be surprised if Justin Siena makes some noise. D4 state runner up with virtually entire team returning. They are going to be very good.

@kiddman32 , Folsom up in the SJS had a very strong summer. They lost shacklelford to chaminade (Hawaii) but return almost everybody else and has a champ jv team. They Beat Dublin in Norcal last year rather handily too. I think they will make a strong run.

Ayalar, since 2004 a freshman has never even made first team in the WCAL. As a matter of fact only 7 sophomores have made first team. Some well known names such as Dunbar, Monroe, Clark, and a guy named Gordon. The other Gordon is the only sophomore who won player of the year as a sophomore. Their have been 4 juniors players of the year as well, 2 shared it one year. So all have been seniors.

With that said to think previous 2004, Pat Stats would for sure know, but I do not recall a freshman player of the year going back to 1987. Jaha Wilson may have got it as a sophomore. Not sure about Terrence Mullins, possibly junior year. And Kevin Restani I have not a clue.

So not knocking kids at all, but the history of the WCAL has shown it’s even rare to make first team as a sophomore, and none as a freshman pre 2004(maybe AG his frosh year is not posted) that I can recall. But hey if you can jump out the gym and dominant the paint like a AG who everyone knew was a immediate pro his soph season or a Lebron dropping dimes and shooting the lights out and getting to the hoop at will, I just don’t think the odds are good for a frosh to be player of the year. Hell history shows how hard it is to make first team.

Agreed, LL... Folsom will also be very good. Along with Jesuit, they should be MC's toughest opposition in the SJS. I think MC is a cut above, though. I wonder if those guys will take a shot at some top out-of-state and/or SoCal teams at some point before playoff time.

Reactions: larry legend33
Agreed, LL... Folsom will also be very good. Along with Jesuit, they should be MC's toughest opposition in the SJS. I think MC is a cut above, though. I wonder if those guys will take a shot at some top out-of-state and/or SoCal teams at some point before playoff time.
Kidmann, if they all stay and add a pg and maybe another forward to help with depth I think MC will make some real noise up and down state. Centennial was in for a dog fight that night and they weren’t tested much in their SoCal run.

Jesuit really disappointed last year but the transfer guard from oakmont is a nice upgrade and if Peja kid stays they will be in the mix. I could see him leading state in scoring this year. He’s that good.

Ayalar, since 2004 a freshman has never even made first team in the WCAL. As a matter of fact only 7 sophomores have made first team. Some well known names such as Dunbar, Monroe, Clark, and a guy named Gordon. The other Gordon is the only sophomore who won player of the year as a sophomore. Their have been 4 juniors players of the year as well, 2 shared it one year. So all have been seniors.

With that said to think previous 2004, Pat Stats would for sure know, but I do not recall a freshman player of the year going back to 1987. Jaha Wilson may have got it as a sophomore. Not sure about Terrence Mullins, possibly junior year. And Kevin Restani I have not a clue.

So not knocking kids at all, but the history of the WCAL has shown it’s even rare to make first team as a sophomore, and none as a freshman pre 2004(maybe AG his frosh year is not posted) that I can recall. But hey if you can jump out the gym and dominant the paint like a AG who everyone knew was a immediate pro his soph season or a Lebron dropping dimes and shooting the lights out and getting to the hoop at will, I just don’t think the odds are good for a frosh to be player of the year. Hell history shows how hard it is to make first team.
Wizard… what about guys like Chris Munk and Jaha Wilson from Riordan back in day? Then again it was rare for fresh to play varsity back then.

Wizard… what about guys like Chris Munk and Jaha Wilson from Riordan back in day? Then again it was rare for fresh to play varsity back then.
LL, Chris Munk played JVs as a soph. Jaha Wilson played JVs his freshman year but was put on Varsity in the postseason during Riordan’s 1990 State Title run that lost to Mater Dei by 2.

I assume the El Camino in Sacto... They do have their four top scorers returning from last year's 21-9 squad.

LL, Chris Munk played JVs as a soph. Jaha Wilson played JVs his freshman year but was put on Varsity in the postseason during Riordan’s 1990 State Title run that lost to Mater Dei by 2.
Thx love me the old crusader teams. Those guys would be on varsity in today’s world as frosh l.

St. Ignatius is adding two spectacular incoming freshman in Raymond Whitley and Caeden Hutcherson…..both of which should be Varsity players.

Whitley is good enough to where he will challenge KJW and Sangster for WCAL POY honors.

University needs to be in the top 10….they are actually better this year, and added the entire Bay City Freshman class to their team….capable of beating anyone in the top 10

I would also have Dougherty and Branson ranked higher.

Jasir Rencher on Riordan is another player who will be in the POY conversation.
I hear Riordan has a pretty good freshman class in addition to 6-7 Alex Kuminga and 6-3 Andrew Young.

I saw an article on West Coast Preps, got the idea to start with their takes and then go from there:

Top 10 teams are their rankings, not mine.

1) Riordan (King Jshanni-White returns, don't know what else they've got coming back (or in).

2) Mitty (Loaded, with Derek Sangster and Jaiden Paran leading a host of returnees)

Yup, WCAL has the top two spots... I would reverse these, but I don't get to see a lot of WCAL since I live in the East Bay. Besides, I think the EBAL is set for a banner year.

3) Dublin (Courtney Anderson leads what looks to be a truly fearsome squad with several guys who should eventually get D1 or high D2 schollies)

4) DLS (They lose a lot of studs, but Alec Blair is fantastic, and the DLS system always seems to find a way)

5) Dougherty Valley (Beasley and Sevilla, incredible guard duo. If they can get some inside help, watch the bleep out!)

6) Branson (Nearly everyone back from last year's terrific group. Need I say more?)

7) Salesian (Team started uncharacteristically slow last year, bet that doesn't happen again... Zion Wilburn transfers from Pinole Valley to add to Tyler Harris and several other studs)

8) Campo (The Cougs will be "down" a little bit, but the cupboard ain't bare! O'Reilly, Robeson, and Naffziger to the rescue! Based on what I saw in summer tourneys, the JV's could very well have a guy or two that finds himself contributing on the varsity this year. JV's have a lot of size and ability for that level.)

9) Oakland Tech (Top three scorers will be back, otherwise I know almost nothing 'bout these guys.)

10) SRV (Seamus Deely leads a terrific squad that seems to slip under the radar and pull off big wins.)

Yup, four EBAL teams in the top ten... with Granada and California in the honorable mentions. I never got to see Granada this summer, but have heard they'll be reallllllyyyy good despite not having Kevin Gad anymore... I did get an eyeful of California, however... They had two varsity squads playing at the Moreau tournament and both looked quite solid. That coach will have some tough decisions to make come time to sort out that roster... That league is gonna be a battle royale!

Honorable mentions, also taken from West Coast Preps, but I didn't try to rank 'em like they did...

Moreau, University, St. Ignatius, Northgate, Oakland, Vanden, Liberty, Pinole Valley, Clayton Valley Charter, O'Dowd, Sacred Heart Prep, Granada, Miramonte, Piedmont, California
Good list. Thanks for posting. I hadn't heard Zion Wilburn transferring to Salesian. And with Harris now at Granada with McKeever, Granada will add another top team to the EBAL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT