ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Open Division

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
Coming up in about a week or so, we will see where everyone gets seeded. Here are my picks for the NCS Open division:

1) Salesian (TCAL-R) - Bye

2) De La Salle (EBAL) - Bye

3) Branson (MCL) vs. 6) San Ramon Valley (EBAL)
Technically SRV should be the 5 seed, but they usually like to separate teams from their own conference. This would be a really good matchup between two well coached teams.

4) Granada (EBAL) vs. 5) University (BCL-W)
Granada is really strong and would give University a good game. Right now the bottom teams considered have bad enough losses to where I can’t see them passing University.

Teams considered: Montgomery, Cardinal Newman, Bishop O’Dowd

Not sure how it would work with the matchups after the 1st round

Why does university play ncs but Riordan and those schools in their league play ccs

Not 100% sure, but im guessing all the NCS teams pay into a pool. All the CCS and all the SJS the same.

And then CIF is the chance for all the best teams from each section to get a shot at each other.

The CCS is usually just an expansion of the WCAL anyways, with maybe 1 or 2 other teams added.

I believe the section a league belongs to is determined by where most of a league's schools are located.

Example: When I went to Berean Christian (then known as Regular Baptist HS), the league they played in consisted of mostly schools in the CCS locale. We were by far the most northeast of the teams involved, and only one other was in Contra Costa County (The late, not-so-great American Heritage Christian HS whom we clobbered by exactly 100 points once). So, when we won league, we went to CCS.

Back to University... They play in the BCL-West, one of three divisions in the Bay Counties League, and apparently all teams that qualify for playoffs go to NCS since that where more of the league's schools are.

I guess, if the BCL-West wanted to split off from the three-division group they're in and be its own league, they could then be a member of CCS... No idea why or even if they CAN do that. Maybe that's because two of the six schools in the BCL West are in Marin County, NCS territory. Then again, a couple of the BCL-Central are in SF... My guess is school size and competition level keep the BCL from considering shuffling the teams around...

But I'm just blabbering...

University will not make the NCS Open. Don’t think a D3 team has ever made the open. O’Dowd SOS is better than University.

With O'Dowd's loss tonight, I think University gets in as the 6. If SRV and Granada meet in the EBAL Tournament this coming Thursday, it should be for home court in that 4-5 game.

Could Clayton Valley still get in by winning the DAL Tournament? Would negate those losses that came without Moore and Perryman.

Reactions: observer22
University will not make the NCS Open. Don’t think a D3 team has ever made the open. O’Dowd SOS is better than University.
I don’t know if you are speaking for the setup being we now have an open. Or forever as Riordan was a D3 school before the open. So was Sacred Heart. Being SH is coed and was D3 as well I would assume Riordan is still D3 today if their was no open established.

Reactions: dlew66
Yeah, right after I say O'Dowd is an Open team if they beat MC tonight, the word
comes that they lost to Berzerkeley.

I don’t know if you are speaking for the setup being we now have an open. Or forever as Riordan was a D3 school before the open. So was Sacred Heart. Being SH is coed and was D3 as well I would assume Riordan is still D3 today if their was no open established.
Yes. Riordan would be D3. Maxpreps has the Crusaders #1 in CA D3; #13 in CA. Crespi #2 then SI #3. Uni is #7.

Reactions: HSWIZARD73
You could argue University should be the higher seed than SRV because they beat the same Riordan team SRV lost too. It was early in the season both games.

Reason I didn’t put O’Dowd in, is because they do have a loss to Oakland Tech. Close games with Piedmont, Castro Valley, and after a close one with Berkeley, now a loss…leaves them on outside looking in.

You could argue University should be the higher seed than SRV because they beat the same Riordan team SRV lost too. It was early in the season both games.

Reason I didn’t put O’Dowd in, is because they do have a loss to Oakland Tech. Close games with Piedmont, Castro Valley, and after a close one with Berkeley, now a loss…leaves them on outside looking in.
SRV has played a far more tougher schedule since losing to Riordan back in the December Gridley tournament compared to Uni. Riordan dominated SI both times in home and away WCAL games and SI beat University.

In 2016/2017 St Joes of Notre Dame made the CIF Open as a D4 team.

If that can happen, then I don’t think it’s far fetched that a D3 University team could make the NCS open as a 5 or 6 seed.

With O'Dowd's loss tonight, I think University gets in as the 6. If SRV and Granada meet in the EBAL Tournament this coming Thursday, it should be for home court in that 4-5 game.

Could Clayton Valley still get in by winning the DAL Tournament? Would negate those losses that came without Moore and Perryman.
Good one , yes Clayton will make it with a dal run. Committee wants Clayton instead of University . Univ div 3 and Clayton Div 1 . Clayton won NCS div 1 last year and possibly the year before . Time to put on big boy pants and play open.

Last edited:
Good one , yes Clayton will make it with a dal run. Committee wants Clayton instead of University . Univ div 3 and Clayton Div 1 . Clayton won NCS div 1 last year and possibly the year before . Time to put on big boy pants and play open.

Clayton Valley Charter lost to Ygnacio Valley a Division 4 team.

Right now there is zero chance either of those teams get in over University.

Clayton Valley Charter lost to Ygnacio Valley a Division 4 team.

Right now there is zero chance either of those teams get in over University.
CVC lost to both YV and College Park while their 2 best players (by far) were sitting out as part of a 5-game suspension. They are a different team with those 2 players on the court.

If CVC is able to run the table in the DAL playoffs this week and beat both Campo and YV to take the league title, then I think there is at least a decent chance they’ll be in the NCS Open. They have wins over SRV & Lincoln (both 21-5), Pitt (19-5), Buchanan (19-6), and will have won their league title. Plus, they have had a solid recent history of success in the NCS D1 playoffs the last few years.

pitt is 19-5?????? what about them in the open??
Liberty at 21-3 has a better shot than Pitt, but they haven’t played a tough schedule. They do have wins over Pitt and Jesuit (18-7), but face still Pitt on the road Tuesday to win league.

Right now, I’d say there are 5 teams that are locks for the NCS Open. Salesian is the top seed, followed by DLS & Branson, then Granada & SRV.

Depending on how many teams they take, and the results of remaining games (and EBAL & DAL playoffs), there are a number of teams with good records that could potentially join them, especially if they should decide to take up to 8.

CVC or Campo (if they run the table and win the DAL),
Dublin or MV (if they run the table and win the EBAL),
University, Liberty, CN, Montgomery, BOD or Berkeley. Those are currently the top 15 ranked teams in the NCS per MaxPreps.

Depending on how many teams they take, and the results of remaining games (and EBAL & DAL playoffs), there are a number of teams with good records that could potentially join them, especially if they should decide to take up to 8.
It's a six-team field and can't be expanded or downsized. I can't see any of those teams besides University or CVC getting into the discussion.

Long shot but Montgomery is 23-3 and would be 25-3 if they win NBL tourney. Lost to Campo in OT early on.
I think they are a good D2 team and would get hammered if they had to play in Open though. Newman and Monty could meet in NCS D2 finals. Newman is super young. Return everybody next year so should be really good in 2025.

I agree that either CVC at full strength or University with early season wins vs Riordan/SHCP but soft schedule in January are the best bets. Uni did lose twice to St Ignatius though so that's a bit of a blemish on their resume. Looks like Branson beat down Uni by almost 20 last month. Doubt either team keeps it real close vs Branson if they matchup in the 3 vs 6. Both teams are extremely well coached though so I should probably never count them out of any games.

O’Dowd certainly presents best resume, bad loss to Tech but that was game 3, and a pumped up Berk team last week in a game that meant everything to Berk and really nothing to O’Dowd. We will see how it shakes out

O’Dowd certainly presents best resume, bad loss to Tech but that was game 3, and a pumped up Berk team last week in a game that meant everything to Berk and really nothing to O’Dowd. We will see how it shakes out
I am not sure in a seeding meeting how the committee says well O’Dowd knew this game didn’t matter so don’t worry about it and Game 3 being so early won’t affect them.

O'Dowd is probably looking at the #1 seed in NCS division 1 but could possibly still be
The 6th seed in the open if the committee
Doesn't want to go with university.

Reactions: ayalar09
With SRV & DLS winning tonight, they are both locks for the Open. Granada lost big, but will probably still get an Open bid. Dublin made a case for themselves by stomping AV by 40, getting revenge on DV, and almost upsetting DLS tonight in a nice 3 games in 3 nights playoff run. Dublin will most likely be a factor in D1.

If Clayton Valley wins Saturday, which is no guarantee, I think there'll be a fun debate between them and University for the last spot.

Could SRV surpass Branson for the 3 seed with a win Saturday?

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT