ADVERTISEMENT

Potentials for Nor Cal Open State Game Rep

Folsom will have wins against Pitt and DLS this year. They are number 1 in NorCal and will play in the open game against the likely #1 team in the country.

It will be good for NorCal and CA. Some will have to learn this hard fact very soon.

Folsom is also the #1 public in CA.

In 2013 De La Salle played Serra and won by a hair 21-14 and DLS had 7 going into the 4th quarter. It was even closer than the St.Francis game was. that DLS team ran over everyone on their way to the state after where it lost to John Bosco by less than a touchdown.
Folsom got trashed by DLS that year..
there is no good reason to just assume Folsom is going to get an easy win this year

Reactions: THEOC89
Agreed. But the 2008 Bellarmine team was their best team in recent memory. They beat Saint Mary’s that year.Yet they had to sit at home. Thank goodness for the regional games.

Yeah, it's likely the committee felt they had to make up for the 2008 Bells not getting a shot. Something they seemingly have done with the other teams/examples mentioned above.

I remember the Bells only loss that season was to Serra who lost to DLS by a single point. I actually remember that game. Serra fell behind 21-0 then scored 28 unanswered only to lose on a 2-point conversion at the end.

Anyway, the 2008 Bells got squeezed out for Open/D1 by undefeated Grant Union and their 2 wins over State Champions and DLS and their close loss to Don Bosco and close win over the only team to beat the Bells.

The truly unfair thing was St. Mary's getting into a Bowl game despite a 4 TD+ loss to Bellarmine that season AND also a close loss to 2-loss Central Catholic.

Both Bellarmine and Casa Roble were far more deserving of a spot in the Bowl. Even 1-loss Paradise had a better argument IMO.

How coincidental is it that arguably the Bells best team (2008) and St. Mary's best team (2009) didn't advance to the biggest game thus aren't as accomplished as some of their lesser teams? SAD.

I really wish there was a way to advance the very best teams in a given season regardless of division.

There just shouldn't be instances where teams like St. Mary's get in over Bellarmine despite having 1 more loss and having lost a head2head matchup by 4 TD's. SHOULD. NOT. HAPPEN.

Last edited:
Reactions: WCAL75
Yeah, it's likely the committee felt they had to make up for the 2008 Bells not getting a shot. Something they seemingly have done with the other teams/examples mentioned above.
It seemed that way to me as well. There is no doubt the 2008 BCP team was better than the 2009 team. That being said, the bigger discussion that year was the merit of Grant chosen for Open division over DLS who was relegated to D1 division. As it played out, Grant was a good choice even if DLS might have better by the end of the season. As I watch the Grant / Poly game, I felt they were as good as the BCP team.

The CIF have made good advances since that time to have every sectional champion get a Bowl chance. This allows every school the opportunity advance to the next level, not just a few select teams. There are still problems with this system but it is way better than earlier in the SBG history and incredibly better than pre-2006 when the sectional level was the highest any school could go.

Since we are starting to talk about the 2021 potential representatives for NorCal's SBGs, I decided to check the records for NorCal team winners.

From 2006 to 2019, NorCal has 57 SBG wins or 53% of the total games.
De La Salle has the most SBG wins - 7 seasons
Folsom and Central Catholic have 4 wins
McClymonds have 3 wins

The following schools have 2 SBG wins:
Campolindo
Escalon
Lincoln - San Francisco
Milpitas
Pleasant Valley
St. Bernard's

Last edited:
Since we are starting to talk about the 2021 potential representatives for NorCal's SBGs, I decided to check the records for NorCal team winners.

From 2006 to 2019, NorCal has 57 SBG wins or 53% of the total games.
De La Salle has the most SBG wins - 7 seasons
Folsom and Central Catholic have 4 wins
McClymonds have 3 wins

The following schools have 2 SBG wins:
Campolindo
Escalon
Lincoln - San Francisco
Milpitas
Pleasant Valley
St. Bernard's
This is something I've said many times.

SoCal claims superiority, but it is very top-heavy. They used to like the term "week-in-week-out" to describe their tough schedules, but that's a fallacy.

I've said SoCal has a lot more big schools, but if you were to pit mid-sized/mid-level SoCal schools against similarly sized/level in NorCal, Norcal would win that the majority of the time.

SoCal pins their entire complex on just a handful of teams.

The tough thing on looking at past state bowl data is there has been multiple sets of rules in terms of divisions/regional games/etc. and sections can try to set it up for their success.

That said, I do think NorCal is pretty event with SoCal when looking at the whole state. SoCal has a lot of focus on their top schools and then shrug their shoulders at the other levels

This is something I've said many times.

SoCal claims superiority, but it is very top-heavy. They used to like the term "week-in-week-out" to describe their tough schedules, but that's a fallacy.

I've said SoCal has a lot more big schools, but if you were to pit mid-sized/mid-level SoCal schools against similarly sized/level in NorCal, Norcal would win that the majority of the time.

SoCal pins their entire complex on just a handful of teams.
Completely disagree.While NorCal has set up their SBG selections to enable their best teams to participate (including initiating losers move on) SoCal has traditionally made their best teams play each other with only winners moving on.So while NorCal sends 1,2,4 best teams they will be playing SoCal 1,10,15

Even this year the NCS is allowing their open division runner up to be their D1 champion again stacking the deck for NorCal

Completely disagree.While NorCal has set up their SBG selections to enable their best teams to participate (including initiating losers move on) SoCal has traditionally made their best teams play each other with only winners moving on.So while NorCal sends 1,2,4 best teams they will be playing SoCal 1,10,15
Thanks for proving our point. SoCal concerns itself and puts all of their eggs in the few teams at the top. However, the majority of the games are played in the lower levels (about which you don't seem to be concerned), where I suggested NorCal tends to be better.

We appreciate your concession.

Reactions: pastyfastquick3
Thanks for proving our point. SoCal concerns itself and puts all of their eggs in the few teams at the top. However, the majority of the games are played in the lower levels (about which you don't seem to be concerned), where I suggested NorCal tends to be better.

That pretty lame Cal.What you’re not comprehending is if Nor cal stacks the top it trickles all the way to the bottom.I’m not knocking it.The rules that have been put in place to help NorCal compete are done out of necessity.If you can put all your best teams at the top it only strengthens the bottom.Frankly NorCal should have a much higher winning %

That pretty lame Cal.What you’re not comprehending is if Nor cal stacks the top it trickles all the way to the bottom.I’m not knocking it.The rules that have been put in place to help NorCal compete are done out of necessity.If you can put all your best teams at the top it only strengthens the bottom.Frankly NorCal should have a much higher winning %
If you look a medium and small nor cal have a better record. Large schools are way different. Nor Cal large school 2,600 kids So Cal schools up to twice that size. I just look at Oakdale Bishop's game. Bishop's super athletic. But could not hang with smash mouth football from the central valley. Escalon just manhandle so cal teams. But that's just antidotal! I will have check the facts.

Reactions: THEOC89 and ararar
If you look a medium and small nor cal have a better record. Large schools are way different. Nor Cal large school 2,600 kids So Cal schools up to twice that size. I just look at Oakdale Bishop's game. Bishop's super athletic. But could not hang with smash mouth football from the central valley. Escalon just manhandle so cal teams. But that's just antidotal! I will have check the facts.
Except school size doesn’t matter.It’s done on competitive equity.So while SoCal fields divisions with schools that have to play up the rules for NorCal insure Divisions with schools that on the most part play down

Except school size doesn’t matter.
Except it does. You are speaking on behalf of smaller enrollment private schools who are playing with different rules.

In other states they use an enrollment multiplier to balance out the advantages that privates have without boundaries.

Except it does. You are speaking on behalf of smaller enrollment private schools who are playing with different rules.

In other states they use an enrollment multiplier to balance out the advantages that privates have without boundaries.
Hollow coming from a school who’s best players ever aren’t even from California #recruiting

Hollow coming from a school who’s best players ever aren’t even from California #recruiting
Take a step further.

Hollow coming from a poster cheering on teams in SoCal, where 98 percent of the players are recruited from out of the area. Same players wouldn't even be eligible under school boundary rules.

But if So Cal D1 had an “Out” like the NCS does, you would see a team like SJB or Cen 10 in D1…. How many Titles would Nor Cal have won in D1A if that was the Case?…. Especially the last 5 years with SJB or MD being the “Second Best Team”…..

Folsom’s 4 Totles would be reduced to 1…. But you are right, in the Lower Levels (D2 and Below) Nor Cal Definitely shows better…. There is a Better HSFB culture at those levels in Nor Cal and Fresno then There is in So Cal….

LBP maxed out at 4900 students in 2010 and are currently at 3900 students.First time under 4000 since 1993
LBP v Granite Bay 2012 D1 Bowl GB 2,000 LBP 4,000 Pretty close to double? Admittedly has been since the 70's for me and a math class.

LBP v Granite Bay 2012 D1 Bowl GB 2,000 LBP 4,000 Pretty close to double? Admittedly has been since the 70's for me and a math class.
Glad you mentioned this game... This was a major highlight for NorCal Football. Granite Bay improved dramatically throughout the season that year. They were a serious underdog going into this game. But GB pulled out a win against significant odds. This was one of my most favorite SBG games.

Another great favorite of mine was the 2010 Palo Alto win over Centennial - I never could never get a good read on PA all season. They seemed to the underdog in several games that season and they kept rising to the occasion. That SBG game was an amazing win for NorCal.

Glad you mentioned this game... This was a major highlight for NorCal Football. Granite Bay improved dramatically throughout the season that year. They were a serious underdog going into this game. But GB pulled out a win against significant odds. This was one of my most favorite SBG games.

Another great favorite of mine was the 2010 Palo Alto win over Centennial - I never could never get a good read on PA all season. They seemed to the underdog in several games that season and they kept rising to the occasion. That SBG game was an amazing win for NorCal.
Those were Great Games!….. In that GB vs LBP game I just remember Cameron Smith from GB just dominating that game on Defense and I think he was just a Sophmore at the Time!!….

And Palo Alto shut down one of the highest scoring offenses in CA state History…. Absolutely great wins for Nor Cal!!….

Reactions: FBAddict

That Granite Bay team was one of the best examples of improving throughout the year. Watched them mid-season and they were solid, not spectacular. End of the season, they were rolling teams on the way to the state bowl game.

I watched PA game. It was one of the better Bowl games.

Reactions: PatCarrillo
Actually it is significantly different - Only the top 3 is the same... But after that, your "analysis" goes haywire.
Calpreps - NorCal Ranking
1. Folsom
2. Pitts
3. SF
4. DLS
5. Rock
-
8. Serra
-
16. Oakdale

There will be plenty points of contact for rankings this year -
-Folsom can prove their #1 position in a couple weeks.
-Pittsburg will no doubt meet DLS in the playoffs
-St. Francis will play Serra at the last game of the season.
-Oakdale has to get by Kimball, Modesto Central Catholic and Manteca who all have similar Calpreps ratings as Oakdale. Only after then do we begin to discuss Oakdale's top billing in rankings.
-Rocklin's ranking is based on teams far weaker than themselves with massive score differentiations. They have to play well against Del Oro, Oak Ridge and Granite Bay and play Folsom nearly as well as Pitts did against Folsom. And if Folsom can beat both DLS and Rocklin, Rocklin needs to be play Folsom closer than DLS.
Rocklin is the real deal…they handled business against DO tonight in a yawner..only question moving forward is the health of Leuth who was on crutches during the 2nd half…team is not the same without him.

School size is not always significant in how the team performs. Look at the the Los Angeles City section ratings in Maxpreps. One mid-level team and the rest abysmal, and I would imagine most of the schools are fairly large. In Texas it does matter. The top teams in California are parochial schools with relatively small attendance (Mater Dei is larger) but in Texas the top teams are public schools with enrollments of 4,000 to 6,000. Everything's bigger.

Rocklin is the real deal…they handled business against DO tonight in a yawner..only question moving forward is the health of Leuth who was on crutches during the 2nd half…team is not the same without him.
Agreed. I was at the Rocklin game last night and walked away even more impressed. They are better than DLS this year. Top 3!

Reactions: Santa Ball
Agreed. I was at the Rocklin game last night and walked away even more impressed. They are better than DLS this year. Top 3!
Great compliment, I still think even without kenny Rocklin makes this a close game with Folsom. We will have to see about that, time will tell, but right now, I would say a 1td game, either way, toss up really I'm a betting man, lol, the misery. Care to give a spread? I'm your huckleberry...

Great compliment, I still think even without kenny Rocklin makes this a close game with Folsom. We will have to see about that, time will tell, but right now, I would say a 1td game, either way, toss up really I'm a betting man, lol, the misery. Care to give a spread? I'm your huckleberry...
I think the Calpreps predictor of 38-21 Folsom is probably accurate. Folsom is the kryptonite to teams in the SFL.

However, I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever to see a game down to the wire.

School size is not always significant in how the team performs. Look at the the Los Angeles City section ratings in Maxpreps. One mid-level team and the rest abysmal, and I would imagine most of the schools are fairly large. In Texas it does matter. The top teams in California are parochial schools with relatively small attendance (Mater Dei is larger) but in Texas the top teams are public schools with enrollments of 4,000 to 6,000. Everything's bigger.
That's why they have 30 million $ stadiums!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT