11:30 Vista Murietta vs SHC
1 Narbonne vs Lincoln
2:30 SMS vs LJCD
4 SI vs Sierra Canyon
5:30 Clovis West vs SMB
7 BOD vs Bishop Manogue
8:30 Pinewood vs McClatchy

This post was edited on 1/2 6:34 PM by RoundBaller81

What a great lineup ... lots of very interesting matchups.

This coming Saturday will be a tremendous opportunity for NorCal to see some of the best players/teams in the country from 8:30am to 10pm. I'm looking forward to seeing #1 MD & 2015 #1 player in the nation KLS vs MM & 2016 #5 player in the nation SI ! Can MM staff put together a game plan to pull off the upset? In my opinion MD coach Kevin Kiernan (and lots of others) is the best coach in girls HS basketball in the country, and he always a great adjustment after halftime in every big game he plays. Will MM have there own trick up there sleeve?

The best team match up on Saturday will SMS vs Sierra Canyon (SoCal) just lost a buzzer beater to Chaminade. My predictiction is SMS wins by 9, every national power (SMS) playing at home rarely loses. Giving most of the calls to the home team is to be expected. Perhaps that is why we will not see MD vs SMS coach Kiernan way to savvy to fall for that. I don't think SMS coach is in a hurry to travel to Santa Anna and play MD as well.

Monday's intriguing match up could be SI vs Sierra Canyon. SC a double dose of NorCal powers. My prediction SI wins by 3. SC having to travel play SMS uptempo style then SI bigs to much but playing in SoCal where most of your schedule is vs big time teams could prove me wrong.

Are we having lunch at
The olive garden, Eltoritos, Applebee's ,
The habit,
Outback or red lobster saturday

I think we skip the 230 game
And come back at 4pm
For MD vs mm game

Is Brookside Christian located in Stockton? they really should be playing in the SM MLK SHOWCASE!!!!!!! Their a Ranked team every year !!!! Their the second best team in San Joaquin !!!! They have to travel 40 miles to play in Pittsburg? Is their a reason why their not invited ????? Or is Brookside not excepting the invitation???? Who's running ?!?!?!

I know that Brookside Christian has tried to play SMS for yrs. I know that Que enquired about it and was rebuffed.

I know that PICO was/is also interested....

I don't think SMS wants anything to do with BC....

I know the SMS parents will probably come at me strong for those comments and tell me that SMS would
gladly play BC any time/anywhere.....

BUT its not the parents who are setting the schedule.....and I think the lack of a game EVER, when the BC coach (old and new)
has continually tried to schedule SMS...speaks volumes.

Now that being said...SMS has nothing to gain by playing that game.... If they win everyone says they are supposed to win...if they
lose everyone makes a huge story out of it.

So I don't know why no invitation to the MLK showcase....but I would surmise that there is no love lost between the 2 schools
so it should be no shock that BC isn't there.

I'd be curious to know if BC was invited and turned it down.....or if BC asked about it and were rejected.....or if neither happened
and both schools went their own way.

Brookside has asked over and over to be in the SMS MLK tourney...i brough this up on this blog months ago when scheduling just started...but there was no invite extended...we should have been included in the tourney...shoot half the players on SMS played AAU with the players from BC, they are all friends. Lincoln is in the tourney and half their players are former BC players...so, not quite sure why BC can't get an invite.

Seems other top teams want no part of Brookside for the same reason....

If Brookside makes the Open teams will have to play them...

I would like SMS play Brookside in the Stockton Arena as part of

the Open division ...I have given up on the top teams

giving Brookside a chance...

I am not saying they would beat SMS all they want is a

chance to play top teams

This post was edited on 1/12 9:51 PM by jazzpt55

Northbay and Jazzpt55 sound like your 2 are saying top teams are bobbing and weaving scared of what Brookside might being to the table might. They might get stung like a bee and not know what to do!!!!!!!!!! Is that what your 2 are say or what??????? I think because Brookside has nothing to lose and top team have every time to lose and are run with their tale between they legs. I guess when a team is not scared to play other teams that fear factor is gone that they have with other teams. Its just a matter of time in when the end of Feb will be here and all will be said and done when the open is here!!!!!!!!
Fear no more nobody can stop and figure a way out this one!!!!!!!!!!

Should Brookside be there... No doubt. But let's not act like Brookside is some juggernaut and everyone is afraid of them. SMS would handle BC in a game easily. BC has 1 good win over Salesian otherwise who? They are a good team, but you guys know how to really get carried away.

Ninobrown

My question was why not ???? Not all about playing SM that would be nice to see but !!!!!! Just to give a good team the chance to play some of the good teams from the south? It's not all about SM vs Brookside ............ Let STOCKTON represent ?!?!? GOOD GIRLS BASKETBALL?!?!?

I agree Brookside should be there, especially being a local team. But it's gonna be a fun 2 days of basketball.
This post was edited on 1/13 12:46 AM by Natedeezze

I think the key phrase mentioned above is "nothing to gain and lots to lose."

Brookside is a D4 team, and a loss to them affects seeding, if not in section then certainly in NorCals. A win over a D4 team proves nothing.

As a coach, my main responsibility is to my players, parents, program and school, and I want to position my team to do as well as possible in postseason. If I have played a strong schedule, why would I risk playing a D4 team that might beat me, and put me on a three-hour bus ride in NorCals to play a quality opponent?

I'm not saying there are not other factors involved here, but in general, for a higher division team to play a strong lower division team comes with some risk, and that risk could be substantial. The difference, say, between driving several hours from Stockton to play at SI, or staying at home to play Mitty, say, isn't trivial.

Clay so what you are tell everyone its because of seeding in Norcal. So if a team like Brookside beats a team in Norcal They shouldn't play them next because it might mess up there seeding for next year!!!!!!!! I think if teams want to challenge and teams has a game free or some changes can be made it showed happen. What happen to the days when a team is the best around takes on all challenges????? I think to coaches look to deep into what if my team loses????? If your team is the best or rank high you are telling your team that you don't know if they can win!!!!!! Coaches don't understand that but that what the kids are thinking and might happen if they are thinking that way!!!!!!! But saying all that if a low team beat a high ranked team next I wouldn't schedule the next couple of years so they would feel the same way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clay
That's the best you could come up with !?!?! Your a joke if my kid played for you and you didn't play small schools because they might beat us!!!!
And you justify that by saying your protecting the team ???? I would transfer my kid .......because that would mean your running from a challenge teaching the kids nothing ?!?!?! YOU PLAY THE BEST TO BE THE BEST......?!?!? Right or wrong

luvthegame21 it seem today coaches always worried losing their ranking. But what is ranking today to some coaches, this means they are better then others, have great coaching and have talent athletes. So my guess they are missing 1 of the 3 things to be a real great team. Some teams are better then other and have talent athletes but sometimes get out coached but a team that's not as good. A good coach will never say I wont play that team because they will lose their ranking. A coach should never be afraid of losing their ranking because they are tell their player they don't believe them. Luvthegame21 I wont want to play for a coach like that either because if a teams is good they show not be afraid of the unknown!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear ballersdreams,

Until you can sufficiently get your point across with at least a 5th grade mastery level of the English language, please refrain from posting your responses. Your thought process is dizzying to follow and your points of view are rarely recognized by any readers. Your strict adherence to this request will be greatly appreciated by all visitors to this site. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Every single person who has ever read one of your replies

This post was edited on 1/13 1:58 PM by IQ4BBall

Why should SM Stockton invite Brookside their showcase event? What would they add to this impressive line up? I think the key to getting any invite would be playing well with others and judging by the comments made on this board from Brookside coaches, fans or supporters they do not have that simple ability.

I would assume the one thing that all of the teams listed in this event have in common is that they have a relationship with Tom Gonsalves that is on solid footing or at least the respect of Mr. Gonsalves and his staff.

The alternative as I see it is for Brookside to run their own showcase. As Ballersdreams pointed out previously it is a much better school than SM Stockton. With all the money the parents are saving in tuition, they could throw one heck of a showcase, who knows maybe even add in the hoedown that Clay wants to add to the corner bakery showcase.

My call for first dance is Que and dad of the two players he covets so dearly. They could call the dance "A Ballers Dreams".

You do not play the best to be the best.

You play the schedule that makes your team the best.

If you play plenty of tough games, and if you have difficult league games, it is pointless to pound your kids every time out. There are a lot of reasons, but here's one thing I feel I've learned over the course of my coaching career: The most important things to have heading into postseason are health and enthusiasm.

If you play physically challenging games every weekend in January and February, plus your league games, you are likely to be physically drained in the playoffs. If you play too many "big" games, the kids get tired mentally.

I've had some very good teams, and been an assistant on better ones, and it would have made absolutely no sense for us to have scheduled the best teams we could find in every available non-league slot. It would have been suicide, both for our record, our chances of advancing in postseason and for our players' health.

The reality is that the more wins you have, the higher you will be seeded, and having played a really good D4 team in December isn't going to do you a lick of good in March -- unless you lost, in which case you might be on the road against a good team instead of hosting.

Now, if your goal as a coach is to play as many good teams as possible, regardless of wins or losses, then indeed play the best, and play them all the time. If so, you better have at least three D1 players and lots of depth because otherwise you're going to lose a lot of games, get a bunch of kids hurt and wind up either on the outside of the playoffs or traveling to a top three seed in the first round.

I've never had a team good enough to play SMS, SMB, SI, O'Dowd, Berkeley, Mitty and every other quality team in the same season, but by your logic I should do that every year, I guess. That way we'd be our best, is what I'm hearing you say.

If you have a state-title level team, that elite schedule makes sense. If you have a league-champion level team, it would be foolish to play those teams. Losing by 40 every time out does not make you better (trust me, I know that from experience). You should play the teams that challenge you, absolutely, but you need to win a few games here and there or nobody has a good experience. I've never bought the idea that going 4-22 against the best teams is better than going .500 against teams you can compete against.

You do not have to play the best teams to have your best team. There's a lot more to it than that.

Lets call it was it is Man up or woman up and give the game the real respect that it deserve. Only in the last 10 years coaches stop play teams that challenge them. On the boys side their is not this problem at all top teams take on challenge when they can. Its only on the girls side there is this problem coaches have there panties in a bunch!! People act like this is the BCS and its not. These coaches aren't getting a million dollars to coach high school girls basketball. I'm never brought up Toms name is this because there are a lot of coaches out like that right now. I see a lot people are taking offence to this because it hitting straight to the heart of things that are wrong on the girls side of Basketball. Respect the game and the game will respect you back. I hate the way place where girls basketball been heading these last ten year. Just because someone says a team should be ranked high then other even those team play the same team twice and know they can beat them they should be ranked high. But at the end of the year ever thing works it way out like Modesto Christian winning state that nobody pick them too. Rankings don't mean any thing when teams meet at the end of the year.

I have nothing to say but is this the BCS or is Norcal Girls Basketball. Because like the BCS college football was prove wrong again by Ohio State winning the National Championship. They was rank number 4 that beat 1 and 2 in the BCS polls. Just give it that taught rankings don't mean anything until the last game is played!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If norcalprep doesn't get this idiot brain dreamer off this forum , they will lose all credibility. The best thing that happened to girls basketball in NorCal is he got fired from Brookside. I'm sure now SMS will be willing to include brookside in next years MLK now that he is gone .

Passionatedad why do you want to start something again. People wanted to hear the truth what happen been the blindfolds they had on for years. I'm sorry if it hits right in the heart but why do you want to start with me again. I guess you don't like being a assistant coach or yes person any more !!! But all I talk was about people scared of loosing their ranking to other teams because they wont play them. But you want to start up again I left you alone because thinks have change and going well for others. So why would want to start with me again you know what happen last time leave me alone just an opinion that forms and the internet is for right or wrong!!!

Clay so one of them so call top SMB lost to Salesian. So according to you teams below Salesian shouldn't play SMB because it might hurt their ranking or their chance to go to the Open. That was your words So what happens in the ranking or the BCS this week??????????????????????????? And then what happens when Salesian beats the for a second time??????????? You can hide one lost but not 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is that word "Truth" again. An important essence of truth is accountability. Truth is spoken in the open by people who stand by and accept accountability for their words. It certainly does not come from any entity/identity created out of an anger born of envy promoting a cleverly disguised and orchestrated vengeful destructive purpose.

Integrity is essential for truth. Truth does not contradict itself. In fact the way to truth is done through the process of elimination. We eliminate what is not true ( the lie ) to find the truth hidden behind it. Behind every lie is the truth that it distorts. A lie is but a distorted truth. One way to distort truth is via prevarication. That is to tell a partial truth for the purpose of misleading and creating misunderstandings. That way a liar can say " I am telling the truth". An example being the " I did not have sex with that woman" statement Clinton made. We should always be wary of those who constantly claim to speak or define what is true. It is up to each each individual to make their own judgement's in respect to what is true. A person who constantly declares they are speaking truth, usually is a liar with a hidden agenda.

A certain poster would rather have their past posts disappear so that they can not be held accountable for any contradictory statements or display a Time Line which might reveal their actual agenda , When, as is conveniently possible on the internet, we chose to hide behind a vail of anonymity, our credibility and integrity can only be measured via our words and statements. It is far to easy to reinvent oneself each day if we can not be held accountable for our past statements or actions. It is certainly also much easier to disguise any hidden agenda's or nefarious intentions under these sort of circumstances.

This post was edited on 1/14 6:53 AM by Willtalk

This post was edited on 1/14 5:06 AM by Willtalk

This post was edited on 1/14 7:10 AM by Willtalk

Originally posted by ballersdreams:

Lets call it was it is Man up or woman up and give the game the real respect that it deserve. Only in the last 10 years coaches stop play teams that challenge them. On the boys side their is not this problem at all top teams take on challenge when they can. Its only on the girls side there is this problem coaches have there panties in a bunch!! People act like this is the BCS and its not. These coaches aren't getting a million dollars to coach high school girls basketball. I'm never brought up Toms name is this because there are a lot of coaches out like that right now. I see a lot people are taking offence to this because it hitting straight to the heart of things that are wrong on the girls side of Basketball. Respect the game and the game will respect you back. I hate the way place where girls basketball been heading these last ten year. Just because someone says a team should be ranked high then other even those team play the same team twice and know they can beat them they should be ranked high. But at the end of the year ever thing works it way out like Modesto Christian winning state that nobody pick them too. Rankings don't mean any thing when teams meet at the end of the year.
Top teams have avoided playing other top teams as long as I've been involved, on both the boys and girls side -- and that's a long longer than 10 years. Again, every coach has to determine what he or she thinks is best for his program, and then schedule accordingly.

Some people believe the best way to schedule is to play as many good teams as you can find, and the better they are, the better for your team and your program. Others disagree.

I have plenty of respect for the game, but Bentley isn't playing Bishop O'Dowd any time soon, nor, for that matter, are we playing Clayton Valley or Berkeley.

Tom Gonsalves, on the other hand, pretty much plays everyone, so I don't know why he's in this conversation, and so do a lot of the elite programs.

Clay if look at the post in the begin didn't even mention SMS. The SMS people brought Toms name into the discussion feel guilty about what we are talking about !!!! I was just asking why teams wont play some teams????????? I think its just crazy but with all the loses yesterday should anyone want to play SMB should anyone that beat Salesian play them because according to you it might hurt their seating or ranking??

When you set up your schedule, it's a grand guessing game. How good will my team be? How good will the other teams be? What tournaments should I play in? Do I want to set up my schedule for a good seeding in section, or am I more concerned about NorCals? Or do I just want to be ready to compete in league?

How healthy will my girls be? Will that girl thinking about being in a play decide to do basketball or not? Will I get a transfer? Will someone transfer out?

Generally, people stick with their schedule, but sometimes adjustments are made. Still, a lot of the decisions are made in May, and then you play in January.

Originally posted by ClayK:
When you set up your schedule, it's a grand guessing game. How good will my team be? How good will the other teams be? What tournaments should I play in? Do I want to set up my schedule for a good seeding in section, or am I more concerned about NorCals? Or do I just want to be ready to compete in league?

How healthy will my girls be? Will that girl thinking about being in a play decide to do basketball or not? Will I get a transfer? Will someone transfer out?

Generally, people stick with their schedule, but sometimes adjustments are made. Still, a lot of the decisions are made in May, and then you play in January.
Great post Clay. I've always thought scheduling is an under appreciated art form for coaches. You have to look at your team and see what your realistic goals are. From there, it is about putting together the schedule that achieves those goals. And there are a lot of factors to look at when doing so. For example, there are a couple of Sacramento boys teams that make trips to the Bay Area in the preseason because they figure they will have to in NorCal. Others teams (boys and girls) like early road trip to help team bonding.

One of my favorite questions to ask before the year is what were your goals in putting together your schedule.

I generally agree that a team with high expectations should try to schedule as many tough games as possible. But like Clay said, (paraphrasing here) there's certainly more to it than trying to appease the sock puppets and trolls on the NCP forum.

And here's something that may hit a little too close to home for you ballersdreams. The worst thing (by a wide margin) is to add a tough game to your schedule and then lose that game on purpose, trying to avoid being put into the NorCal Open. I was there that night at Presentation when Brookside clearly tanked their game against Saint Ignatius. Many, many people in the crowd were disappointed, and wondered whether Brookside was trying to lose. Maybe Brookside would have lost that game anyway, but the effort that night was pathetic. It was only fitting that Brookside was put in the Open Division that year against BOD. Que, you should be very ashamed, and I would have to guess that's one of the reasons you're trolling the forum this year instead of coaching.

Just want to clarify something....my daughter is a senior at Brookside...she was a Freshman when Brookside won state. Brookside has never tanked a game to stay out of the open division....let me open your eyes to something...we had 11 girls on that team and 5 of them did not play that game, 3 of them were starters...our point guard's father was murdered the night before and the entire team found out at about 6 a.m. that morning, when they were getting ready to head to Presentation....so, yeah the girls were off there game...the reason we were placed in the open is because the powers to be were not happy with Brookside because we were beating teams in our league by 60 points or more a game and they thought Coach Que was running up the scores just to prove a point....in actuality, he would not allow the girls to fast break or press the 2nd half of most of those games....they could only shoot 3's....problem for the other teams was that we were hitting our 3's....this is the honest truth...and I will attach my name(my user name is my real name),feel free to check box scores to see who played in that game, and check the newspaper articles to verify that our point guard lost her father just hours before we played and the Brookside family lost a member..

Shireen Zahniser

This post was edited on 1/14 4:39 PM by szahniser

This post was edited on 1/14 4:40 PM by szahniser

Reading the post on how you think coaches decide how to make up the schedule for the upcoming season. Lots of valid points were made but I never read anything about scheduling for college exposure for the players? Which I think this Saturday's match ups between MD vs MM are. MD traveling to play a nothing to win game vs MM seems to be for exposure of players. We all know KLS and most of the players have offers but not all. Kudos to MD coach Kiernan for trying to get his lesser know players college exposure in the north.

Players are not machines. There are often mitigating circumstances that contribute to the outcome of games that most of us are not even aware of. The better team doesn't always win every game.

Box_out. In respect to MD coming to Stockton to give some of their girls exposure- I really don't think that is the reason. MD gets plenty of exposure as it is. They were committed to play in the MLK very early on. The were originally scheduled to play SMS but for purely tactical reasons that certainly didn't include fearing to lose in SMS back yard. MD has never ducked anyone because they feared to lose. Their schedule last year was unreal. Opting out of playing SMS was a brilliant move on their coaches part. They probably expect to win the South and end up playing SMS for the open championship if everything goes as expected. If they played SMS it would give the the SMS coach an opportunity to make adjustments to his press that would work against MD during any open final. Otherwise those adjustments if necessary have to be made in game and would allow MD to take advantage of the time it would take to make those adjustment. Winning the game in Stockton is secondary to the final in the Open for either coach.

Willtalk I taught that was suppose to happen last year but it didn't !!!!!!! MM came to Stockton at Delta Jr College in SMS backyard and beat them 94 to 79. MD lost in the 2nd round but the first game to Long Beach in their backyard too 64 to 46!!! Long Beach went on to when the Open Sate Championship. So never plan on meeting a team in the championship before the games are played. So Willtalk is this a fact or fiction what happen last year In the State Open Playoffs. Playoffs is a whole different animal its self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole college exposure thing is a myth, plain and simple.

1) With 15 scholarships per Division I team, there are more Division I scholarships than there are Division I players. Ask a college coach in an honest moment how many Division I-level players do not get scholarships, and the answer will be zero. Ask that same coach how many players who really aren't Division 1-level players get scholarships, and she'll just laugh.

2) One reason people think exposure is so important is that there are a lot of people who make a lot of money by fostering that belief. Exposure camps, for example, are pretty much a complete waste of money of time. They are a day of drills and pickup basketball that add little to anyone's resume, but they do generate lots of income for the people running them. Club coaches will go on and on about exposure, especially for young players ("She needs to be on the radar screen"), neglecting to mention how much money they make by running tournaments.

I'm not claiming that club basketball isn't valuable -- it is, and lots of improvement takes place in that environment. But exposure to college coaches is a vastly overrated part of that process.

3) Players really only need to be seen in the summer before their senior year. In fact, getting seen earlier, when maybe the jump shot is still a work in progress, or court vision isn't fully developed, can turn off more college coaches than it attracts. First impressions are crucial, and you'll hear coaches say about a player "I saw her a couple years ago -- she's not for us," even if she's much better.

4) Families should take control of the process (which is where coaches can step in and help). Don't wait to be discovered (it will not happen); make a list of the schools you are interested in, send them schedules and follow up with the coaches. It will only take one or two viewings for the coach to decide what she thinks (the only reason they're always around is that they want their top recruits to know they're still interested).

5) Finally, if you're good enough, they will find you. If you're not good enough, it doesn't matter how many checks you write to exposure camp operators and club coaches. There's an old saying about following the money, and it really applies when it comes to the whole "exposure" aspect of girls' basketball. What's best for the people cashing the checks is not necessarily best for those writing them.

Clay,

I agree with you on that. I see so many misled parents and players buying into the hype. I have always said there is more than one way to be successful, so I wrote my book to help many see through the hype.

I've always stressed the importance of developing your fundamental skills,knowledge of the game, and ability to make good decisions under pressure. I have also been quoted long ago with the statement……

"If you can ball they will find you, if you can't you'll be overlooked".

Personally, I despise what competition will make many people turn into.

Many falsely believe in order to get a scholarship they have to worry about beating their team mates,friends,and others out to do so. They falsely believe to make it they need you to fail. I agree there is more than enough to go around.

While I totally agree your number 2 is important, 3,4,and 5 summed it up well.

Paytc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT