ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan coach’s lack of leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

pines6969

Board Regular
Feb 3, 2015
First let me say that I’m simply a fan of high school basketball and have no affiliation or ties to ARHS.

After watching the replay of the brawl and now reading ARHS coach’s remarks after their season ending loss, I have to ask the question does the coach have the leadership qualities to lead such a prestigious program? As an outsider, I say No.

This coach’s quote from the article stands out to me:

We’re the high seed left in the tournament, and we would have been at home if it wasn’t for an out-of-control team that we just played,” Curtin said. “You feel a bit robbed.”

He either doesn’t understand that his lack of leadership led to one of his players shoving an opposing player in the back, or worse he does know he lacks leadership qualities, and is attempting to blame the opposing team for the escalation that followed.

Either way, he should be let go. It’s obvious he doesn’t have what it takes to lead young men- regardless of his X’s and O’s Prowess.

Reactions: Prepog
Peculiar? We are just out here doing our First Take dissect comments segment here.

He spoke fact that they were the high seed left. That’s not a subjective opinion.

They felt robbed? Yes when you lose 5 players who are starters/rotation players you already are playing at a disadvantage.

It felt alot like the niners getting absolutely pummeled by the eagles because they basically had no QB. As a fan watching that, I felt robbed of a fair shot to win that game vs. eagles actually being better than the niners.

We were not on that hardwood. We were not privy to what was said through the game. From what we saw as a viewer, Riordan’s defense dominated Inderkum. When you are getting your s*** handed to you, you might take your frustrations out which is likely what happened by either offensive words or cheap elbows whatever. That is my guess what he meant by out of control team. And in the end it was just unfortunate for both teams/communities. It sucked to see that.

And Joey does an outstanding job. He’s built a program that MANY would take in a heartbeat. Is he John Wooden? No. Is he Coach K? No. Nobody is.

First let me say that I’m simply a fan of high school basketball and have no affiliation or ties to ARHS.

After watching the replay of the brawl and now reading ARHS coach’s remarks after their season ending loss, I have to ask the question does the coach have the leadership qualities to lead such a prestigious program? As an outsider, I say No.

We’re the high seed left in the tournament, and we would have been at home if it wasn’t for an out-of-control team that we just played,” Curtin said. “You feel a bit robbed.”

He either doesn’t understand that his lack of leadership led to one of his players shoving an opposing player in the back, or worse he does know he lacks leadership qualities, and is attempting to blame the opposing team for the escalation that followed.

Either way, he should be let go. It’s obvious he doesn’t have what it takes to lead young men- regardless of his X’s and O’s Prowess.

I was at the game. Inderkum was desperate as Riordan was in control throughout. Inderkum started fouling hard-tripping players, grabbing their necks and chirping throughout. Refs at this point lost control of the game. Riordan is not denying the player that shoved should have been T’d and ejected…But Inderkum cleared the bench and their fans climbed down on the court. If they stayed put…First time this has ever happened at Riordan. I understand this is not the first time for Inderkum. Perhaps Inderkum’s program needs to be called out.

Last edited:
pe·cu·liar
/pəˈkyo͞olyər/

adjective

strange or odd; unusual.
"his accent was a peculiar mixture of Cockney and Irish"

Peculiar? We are just out here doing our First Take dissect comments segment here.

He spoke fact that they were the high seed left. That’s not a subjective opinion.

They felt robbed? Yes when you lose 5 players who are starters/rotation players you already are playing at a disadvantage.

It felt alot like the niners getting absolutely pummeled by the eagles because they basically had no QB. As a fan watching that, I felt robbed of a fair shot to win that game vs. eagles actually being better than the niners.

We were not on that hardwood. We were not privy to what was said through the game. From what we saw as a viewer, Riordan’s defense dominated Inderkum. When you are getting your s*** handed to you, you might take your frustrations out which is likely what happened by either offensive words or cheap elbows whatever. That is my guess what he meant by out of control team. And in the end it was just unfortunate for both teams/communities. It sucked to see that.

And Joey does an outstanding job. He’s built a program that MANY would take in a heartbeat. Is he John Wooden? No. Is he Coach K? No. Nobody is.
the player who started it did not display victory with honor and good sportsmanship.
if he would have walked down the court and huddled his team and said guys, lets keep our composure and not let anything stupid happen.... then maybe they are making an appt with the jeweler for championship rings. but he didnt, he acted like it was a pickup game in hunters point and now its time to suit up for the oakland soldiers and head over to open gym premier. tough lesson.

I was at the game. Inderkum was desperate as Riordan was in control throughout. Inderkum started fouling hard-tripping players, grabbing their necks and chirping throughout. Refs at this point lost control of the game. Riordan is not denying the player that shoved should have been T’d and ejected…But Inderkum cleared the bench and their fans climbed down on the court. If they stayed put…First time this has ever happened at Riordan. I understand this is not the first time for Inderkum. Perhaps Inderkum’s program needs to be called out.
a kid 2 hand shoved an opponent when they had the game in hand AFTER THE WHISTLE. a ref cannot help here.

“It’s nowhere near fair,” Curtin said of the suspensions. “If one guy gets injured on your team, fine. But to have three starters and two guys that are in my rotation not play, it just sucks.

Is the fact players were suspended not fair? Or that they had to play period. I was not sure of what that meant.
Hence, peculiar.

Well, after reviewing all the available videos, referees’ statements the CIF awarded Riordan the win. Why is that? You were not there and yet never calling out Inderkum

It’s clear by some of the comments in this thread that I need to define what I meant by the coach’s lack of leadership.

To me leadership starts when you first meet a kid during recruitment, first day of practice, etc. You tell the kids what is and is not acceptable behavior. You ever start a fight, you’re done. Period. If there’s ever a fight on the floor, kids on the bench stay on the bench. Period. And you have to repeat this over and over, make it a point of emphasis, let the kids know you’re not f’ing around.

And god forbid an incident happens like what happened with Inderkum, for gods sake, be a man and accept responsibility for your program’s and your kids’ actions. That shows real leadership.

Don’t be weak and say that the punishment wasn’t ‘fair’. Are you f’ing kidding me? A kid could have been harmed for life, and you’re saying the punishment wasn’t fair?!! I think the CIF was more than fair in declaring Riordan the winner, and letting them continue playing in the tournament.

Reactions: Prepog
Refs completely lost control of that game
Period but I'm sure their biggest defender
Will tell us it's wasn't the refs fault at all.

Have the penalties been made public for Inderkum yet? Just curious how this is being dealt with. Also I’m sure Riordan coach was very emotional during comments. I’m not sure I would draw conclusions from a small sample size.
Let’s give the Riordan coach the benefit of the doubt, and he was ‘emotional’ a full 2 days after the incident and had plenty of time to think about it.

He needs to come out publicly and apologize for his program’s and his players’ actions. Given his public comments so far, I wouldn’t bet my life on it.

pe·cu·liar
/pəˈkyo͞olyər/

adjective

strange or odd; unusual.
"his accent was a peculiar mixture of Cockney and Irish"

Peculiar! :

Last edited:

If the Riordan coach should be let go...what should the consequences be for Inderkum in your opinion? Firing squad? lethal injection? The coaches , players and fans who rushed the court should be sent to Ukraine?

Yes if the Riordan kid doesn't push the other player this doesn't happen. But it did happen and the retaliation was more egregious than the push...but everyone on the board seems to say that since Riordan is a catholic school, they shouldn't act that way. They didn't demonstate good sportsmanship etc... but what Inderkum did was justified as Eff around and find out. Shouldn't both programs be held to the same standard? From what is being said on the board, this isn't a first for one school.

Reactions: Scott2138
All CA schools are held by the same standard per CIF governance. There is no distinction between public or private schools. 5 Riordan players were suspended. 4 were on the floor when the incident occurred - Woodson, Jones, Rencher and Tshamala. Christian Wise was on the floor but was not suspended as you can clearly see in the video he was walking away from the melee. Kuminga left the bench and crossed half court as his cousin, Tshamala, was cold cocked by an Inderkum kid that wasn’t even in uniform.
Using that logic, there had to be 20+ Inderkum players, fans, and adults on the court involved in the chaos. Where was the coach and staff? Appears he lost control of his team during the game. Their fouls were committed by targeting the players and not playing the ball eventually manifesting to what occurred. No one at Riordan is excusing the player that shoved the Inderkum kid. If the Inderkum coach had control of his team, they would not have stormed the court attacking the Riordan 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
If the Riordan coach should be let go...what should the consequences be for Inderkum in your opinion? Firing squad? lethal injection? The coaches , players and fans who rushed the court should be sent to Ukraine?

Yes if the Riordan kid doesn't push the other player this doesn't happen. But it did happen and the retaliation was more egregious than the push...but everyone on the board seems to say that since Riordan is a catholic school, they shouldn't act that way. They didn't demonstate good sportsmanship etc... but what Inderkum did was justified as Eff around and find out. Shouldn't both programs be held to the same standard? From what is being said on the board, this isn't a first for one school.
I haven’t heard what the Inderkum coach said after the game. But regardless he should be let go as well. Absolutely both programs should be held to the same standard and need to be held accountable.

I don't agree. The coaches prevented the players from storming the court. The coach's quote seemed appropriate. Regarding the push in the back, it's hard to control everything in a heated situation. And I'm no Riordan fan, but I'm mystified why so many players had to sit out.

I don't agree. The coaches prevented the players from storming the court. The coach's quote seemed appropriate. Regarding the push in the back, it's hard to control everything in a heated situation. And I'm no Riordan fan, but I'm mystified why so many players had to sit out.
they participated in the fight.

Kinda unfair that Riordan got the majority of the punishment, meanwhile it seems like Inderkum is getting no punishment whatsoever.

Going after the Riordan coach is complete trash. I think he did the best he could considering the circumstances.

Should the Riordan kid have pushed the Inderkum kid? No. But the reaction to that push was not only over the top, it was borderline assault.

Also punishing Riordan by taking away their home court is completely unfair and was a horrible decision by the CIF imo.

you dont know the inderkum punishment as they are done. its irrelevant until november. but to think they wont pay heavily is crazy.

the reaction was wild for sure, but i get it. some people are built different. fight or flight is a real thing and differs person to person.

Reactions: observer22
Kinda unfair that Riordan got the majority of the punishment, meanwhile it seems like Inderkum is getting no punishment whatsoever.

Going after the Riordan coach is complete trash. I think he did the best he could considering the circumstances.

Should the Riordan kid have pushed the Inderkum kid? No. But the reaction to that push was not only over the top, it was borderline assault.

Also punishing Riordan by taking away their home court is completely unfair and was a horrible decision by the CIF imo.
1. It’s premature to judge Inderkum’s punishment. I haven’t heard anything yet, but for all we know they could/should be banned from next year’s tournament.

2. The Riordan coach from all I’ve read hasn’t accepted any responsibility whatsoever in the aftermath of the incident. That’s the problem. If I’m Riordans president/archdiocese, whatever you call him, I’m very concerned about my coach’s complete lack of leadership.

3. Taking away home court advantage was absolutely the right thing to do in this situation. Riordan needed to be held to account for the complete lack of leadership and the lack of accepting responsibility for this unfortunate incident. There were little kids running around on the hardwood while all of this was happening for Christ sakes! And you think they should’ve been rewarded with another home game? Jesus Christ! Open your eyes man!

Whoa. Let’s not blame Curtin. Let’s blame the environment around basketball. You just had a NBA player once again doing something stupid but the team says he will be away at least two games and Nike supports him. It’s the environment.

No doubt words can be better said, but he is running a program that involves a ton of pressure and intensity, and he personally is not how it all went down. If anything his bench didn’t storm the court. That alone says something

What punishment is inderkum going to get. The season is over. They will face that come next season. They aren’t just going to be let off the hook.

unfortunately since we live in a litigious society, here is something else the ARHS leaders should be concerned about:

Let’s say that next year or the year after, a similar incident occurs, only next time a kid/ innocent bystander is seriously hurt/maimed. Now there is a pattern of behavior. The archdiocese has now opened themselves up to a potentially financially ruinous lawsuit.

Unfortunately these are the types of scenarios that school leaders have to take into account in these times.

unfortunately since we live in a litigious society, here is something else the ARHS leaders should be concerned about:

Let’s say that next year or the year after, a similar incident occurs, only next time a kid/ innocent bystander is seriously hurt/maimed. Now there is a pattern of behavior. The archdiocese has now opened themselves up to a potentially financially ruinous lawsuit.

Unfortunately these are the types of scenarios that school leaders have to take into account in these
Why do you think this would happen again. I always have said, coaches coach, players play. A coach can only do so much beyond the line. He kept his kids behind the line. Except one. That says something. His season came to a screeching halt due to Covid. And now another season gone, but to put the responsibility on him is wrong. Again better words could have been said, but what happened is not completely on him. And to say the diocese will get it. What did they do when I was at my alum versus Mitty and we were all led out the gym cause a father was killed at halftime. The games continued.

What punishment is inderkum going to get. The season is over. They will face that come next season. They aren’t just going to be let off the hook.
My guess is it will be pretty harsh. Doubtful they will be able to host a playoff game for one. CIF likes to throw this one out there although Inderkum was on the road during this fight. Suspensions will likely occur as well. Where are the Inderkum fans? I’m sure somebody knows already. I Laugh that we are so concerned about releasing names but SJ Mercury had no problem naming the kids involved in the fight. You throw a punch and you earn the right to get your name put in the paper. Another problem with our society.

My guess is it will be pretty harsh. Doubtful they will be able to host a playoff game for one. CIF likes to throw this one out there although Inderkum was on the road during this fight. Suspensions will likely occur as well. Where are the Inderkum fans? I’m sure somebody knows already. I Laugh that we are so concerned about releasing names but SJ Mercury had no problem naming the kids involved in the fight. You throw a punch and you earn the right to get your name put in the paper. Another problem with our society.
At this moment I would question if Inderkum knows just yet. The CIF has bigger things to continue with. I wouldn’t doubt if the CIF said we will call you soon. Either way it is an unfortunate incident.

At this moment I would question if Inderkum knows just yet. The CIF has bigger things to continue with. I wouldn’t doubt if the CIF said we will call you soon. Either way it is an unfortunate incident.
Probably true but I wouldn’t think they want this to linger.

Neither coach needs to be fired. This should be a learning experience for coaches, players, families, referees, CIF, security and school administrations. This was an embarrassing situation that reached the national media… This isn’t the end of the world. Worst things have happen at HS sporting events.

All of the above mentioned parties have a responsibility to get better at how they handle situations and operate events. I’m pretty sure that all (coaches, players, parents, CIF, school administrators, security, referees, etc) will learn and grow from this unfortunate incident.

I could see Inderkum being banned from the playoffs next season (maybe multiple) and probably have to go through some kind of corrective training course.

The CIF, refs, and schools will probably make several corrections to help change the environment at these games. These environments can become very intense and emotional.

Neither coach should be fired. They both had incredible seasons with unfortunate endings. I’m sure neither expected the game to end the way that it did.

Inderkum and Riordan are both great schools. The incident was unfortunate but life goes on.

I think what he is saying is that the refs should have interjected well before this. They let it get to this point.
let what go? calling fouls will not control a kid who lost his emotions.
i still dont get why he started the fight anyway?

Why do you think this would happen again. I always have said, coaches coach, players play. A coach can only do so much beyond the line. He kept his kids behind the line. Except one. That says something. His season came to a screeching halt due to Covid. And now another season gone, but to put the responsibility on him is wrong. Again better words could have been said, but what happened is not completely on him. And to say the diocese will get it. What did they do when I was at my alum versus Mitty and we were all led out the gym cause a father was killed at halftime. The games continued.
his answer sounded like the Bama coach when he responded to brandon miller and the gun situation.
i agree the coach can only do so much. he isnt to blame but the people blaming the refs are trippin as well

I think their punishment should be next year they remove the Inder letters off their unis and play their whole season with the remaining letters on their jerseys.

• Haha
Reactions: kiddman32
let what go? calling fouls will not control a kid who lost his emotions.
i still dont get why he started the fight anyway?
Riordan's #12 and Inderkum's #5 were chirping at each other throughout the game, and it got more intense in the 4th quarter to the point that R's coach pulled #12 from the game but had to put him back in after a Riordan guard fouled out just before the incident. I think the refs could have warned both coaches in the 2nd half to control their teams or T's would be called. Either way, it was an intense and emotional game between 2 physical athletic teams.

Reactions: ARHS92 and Y Cap
they participated in the fight.
They participated in the fight WTF! Four against twenty-five when the whole Inderkum bench emptied onto the floor along with some of their fans. #12 was hit from behind multiple times and lied on the floor unconscious from what I've heard. The ONLY reason this didn't turn into more of a melee is due to Coach Curtain and staff maintaining control of their bench and Riordan fans / parents not streaming onto the court. Suspending all those Riordan players was BOGUS IMHO. Are they supposed to run away from a teammate who was down on the floor all alone while Inderkum players and fans were out of control!

Reactions: THEOC89 and rabbit5
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT