ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan coach’s lack of leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.
They participated in the fight WTF! Four against twenty-five when the whole Inderkum bench emptied onto the floor along with some of their fans. #12 was hit from behind multiple times and lied on the floor unconscious from what I've heard. The ONLY reason this didn't turn into more of a melee is due to Coach Curtain and staff maintaining control of their bench and Riordan fans / parents not streaming onto the court. Suspending all those Riordan players was BOGUS IMHO. Are they supposed to run away from a teammate who was down on the floor all alone while Inderkum players and fans were out of control!
yes

They participated in the fight WTF! Four against twenty-five when the whole Inderkum bench emptied onto the floor along with some of their fans. #12 was hit from behind multiple times and lied on the floor unconscious from what I've heard. The ONLY reason this didn't turn into more of a melee is due to Coach Curtain and staff maintaining control of their bench and Riordan fans / parents not streaming onto the court. Suspending all those Riordan players was BOGUS IMHO. Are they supposed to run away from a teammate who was down on the floor all alone while Inderkum players and fans were out of control!
i too think rules are stupid. sadly, i gotta abide by them.

I don’t disagree with the suspension, however I do feel Riordans coaches did a great job when it came to their bench. It could have gone way south

Reactions: CityVibesII
his answer sounded like the Bama coach when he responded to brandon miller and the gun situation.
i agree the coach can only do so much. he isnt to blame but the people blaming the refs are trippin as well
Completely agree, I mean if this was a ref issue then hell it would happen all the time. This was not a ref issue at all in my opinion

Have you seen the tape? Only two kids from Riordan were hit. (The one who started the mele and one of his teammates who ran up to defend him).

You can see the Inderkum coaching staff and several of the Inderkum players helping break the fight up.

People make it seem as though the Inderkum players knocked out a few coaches, attacked the Riordan bench, etc.

They did none of the sort…There were some kids in my day that would have knocked out the Riordan coach or staff member that is seen grabbing the Inderkum player who was in street clothes by the neck. The kids in the video did none of the sort. They respected that man and did not attack or jump him.

Were you there? I was. 2 other Riordan players were sucker punched. Again, everyone is in agreement the Riordan player that shoved was rightfully disqualified. Having the entire bench clear and throwing punches incl an Inderkum person not in uniform. Inderkum’s dirty play to get fouls in the 2nd half as they were thoroughly getting beat and the refs yelling at the Inderkum coach in the 4th and this not being the first time for Inderkum is telling. CIF saw the film, received the referee’s reports and awarded Riordan the win and allowed the suspended players to sit with them team on Saturday should be evidence who was not in control of their team

Were you there? I was. 2 other Riordan players were sucker punched. Again, everyone is in agreement the Riordan player that shoved was rightfully disqualified. Having the entire bench clear and throwing punches incl an Inderkum person not in uniform. Inderkum’s dirty play to get fouls in the 2nd half as they were thoroughly getting beat and the refs yelling at the Inderkum coach in the 4th and this not being the first time for Inderkum is telling. CIF saw the film, received the referee’s reports and awarded Riordan the win and allowed the suspended players to sit with them team on Saturday should be evidence who was not in control of their team
Very good point.

Pine69- I can see where you are coming from. What Riordan Coaching staff has done in the last few years is remarkable from drawing talent, getting them to play hard, and creating a championship culture. Nor-Cal needs a SF City power, and always feel WCAL basketball is at its best with Riordan at the fore front. However, I have seen several Riordan games the past few years. The trash talking of players to opposing teams, fans, and addressing coaches by their first name stood out to me. This is not just at Riordan but see at many high schools. Winning seems to over look that a HC is a leader of young men that you are instilling values that they will carry for a lifetime. Confident Curtin will reflect on his leadership style, and Crusaders will move forward from this. Too blame the refs are unfathomable. In playoffs you have administrator, coach, captains and ref sportsmanship discussion before the game outlining expectations. Its the coaches job to assure their team conducts themselves to the highest standard no matter the calls, or outcome. If you let your players talk trash, debate officiating calls than this incident has a higher probability of occurring. I'm already predicting Riordan to make the State Chip run next year in Open and their team will be strictly business.

when a fight is happening, there is no sucker punches. protect yourself at all time.
suspended players are allowed at the events so it doesnt mean their suspension was any less.

il_794xN.3563552126_rlaj.jpg

Riordan lost their composure and became unraveled. Stop blaming Inderkum. Riordan had an 8 point lead with 1:15 left and was on their way to the free throw line to possibly extend the lead.

The Riordan coach lost control of his team. You are 1:15 away from hosting a semi-final NorCal game at home and one win away from hosting a NorCal Finals in your home gym….

CIF: They saw enough to suspend 5 players and move the game to Granada…

Riordan lost their composure and became unraveled. Stop blaming Inderkum. Riordan had an 8 point lead with 1:15 left and was on their way to the free throw line to possibly extend the lead.

The Riordan coach lost control of his team. You are 1:15 away from hosting a semi-final NorCal game at home and one win away from hosting a NorCal Finals in your home gym….

You were not there. CIF made their ruling and awarded Riordan the win. They would have been disqualified from NorCals if they saw different. Riordan took accountability. It was not the first time of this sort of behavior by Inderkum. I will just leave it at that.

You were not there. CIF made their ruling and awarded Riordan the win. They would have been disqualified from NorCals if they saw different. Riordan took accountability. It was not the first time of this sort of behavior by Inderkum. I will just leave it at that.
his comments mean they didnt take accountability.
now maybe he didnt mean it that way but it sounds that way.
they ruled them the win, but clearly felt they were somewhat culpable.
being there didnt need to happen as the cif wasnt there either and made a decision. we all say it on video. jurors arent there and convict off a video. so can we.

• Haha
Reactions: Mo Green

that is exactly what i said. cuddy could have walked down the court, gathered his team and said.. we going to the chipppppp... but he decided to push a guy in the back, after the whistle, when the fouled player had already went down the court.

Of course the CIF awarded Riordan the win! They were winning by 8 points and had enough players to participate in the semi finals.

Regarding my attendance… so what….I. watched the game live online and spoke with several people who were in attendance. Riordan wasn’t disqualified because they had several players that neither left the bench area nor participated in the fight. Not to mention #22 for Riordan was an exemplary student athlete. He tried to calm #12 down on several occasions, stayed clear of all altercations, and even helped bring a little child to safety during the mele.

If you study the film, there were several Inderkum players restraining and holding back unruly teammates.

The people who needed to be suspended were suspended. This is kind of textbook stuff.

Pine69- I can see where you are coming from. What Riordan Coaching staff has done in the last few years is remarkable from drawing talent, getting them to play hard, and creating a championship culture. Nor-Cal needs a SF City power, and always feel WCAL basketball is at its best with Riordan at the fore front. However, I have seen several Riordan games the past few years. The trash talking of players to opposing teams, fans, and addressing coaches by their first name stood out to me. This is not just at Riordan but see at many high schools. Winning seems to over look that a HC is a leader of young men that you are instilling values that they will carry for a lifetime. Confident Curtin will reflect on his leadership style, and Crusaders will move forward from this. Too blame the refs are unfathomable. In playoffs you have administrator, coach, captains and ref sportsmanship discussion before the game outlining expectations. Its the coaches job to assure their team conducts themselves to the highest standard no matter the calls, or outcome. If you let your players talk trash, debate officiating calls than this incident has a higher probability of occurring. I'm already predicting Riordan to make the State Chip run next year in Open and their team will be strictly business.
I sat right near Modesto Christian bench on a recent playoff win. You talk about a team that is all business. Wow. Great leadership from their senior PG. And this team could have talked trash but never went down that road. Impressive team and coaching.

Reactions: Scott2138
When it comes to penalties::: the punishment for Riordan as well as Inderkum may not be over .
Back in 2017-2018 Sheldon lost to Modesto Christian on a 40 foot heave . 1 year removed from a 69-68 finals loss to Woodcreek on a controversial call with 0.6 of a second left. After the handshake a couple of Sheldon senior players understandably distraught after losing back to back ships walked toward the locker room, not realizing they had to participate in awards . They were quickly called back. They finished the NorCal’s with 2 home Open Nor cal games.
The following year Sheldon was #1 seed in D1 and had to go on road to #17 Modesto , @#9 Davis and @ #5 Oak Ridge as a Punishment for what they called poor sportsmanship .
If that’s the punishment for that offense then what in the world will cif do with this situation

When it comes to penalties::: the punishment for Riordan as well as Inderkum may not be over .
Back in 2017-2018 Sheldon lost to Modesto Christian on a 40 foot heave . 1 year removed from a 69-68 finals loss to Woodcreek on a controversial call with 0.6 of a second left. After the handshake a couple of Sheldon senior players understandably distraught after losing back to back ships walked toward the locker room, not realizing they had to participate in awards . They were quickly called back. They finished the NorCal’s with 2 home Open Nor cal games.
The following year Sheldon was #1 seed in D1 and had to go on road to #17 Modesto , @#9 Davis and @ #5 Oak Ridge as a Punishment for what they called poor sportsmanship .
If that’s the punishment for that offense then what in the world will cif do with this situation
was that the game at MJC?

I think Riordan already served their penalties on Saturday since they had another game. We'll have to wait until next season to see what Inderkum's penalties are since their season ended after that incident.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT