ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan Rumblings

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Heard on the street (actually in an alley behind a Costco in South City): The Doctor of Hoops Mania may be returning to Phelan Avenue. Can anyone verify? Sounds enticing.

The Doctor applied at Palo Alto. I assume he has a great shot at getting that job.

Riordan's going to the Gridley tournament next year, so it's likely they'll be quite good.

Riordan had a strong Freshmen team.
They lose Chun but point guar is coming back.
Jelani will have to do a lot.

Riordan has some talent coming up from their JVs and frosh team. 6'6" Gage Cross should also be returning as a junior after being injured the 2nd half of the season. They also admitted 6'8" twin transfer students from Sudan to their boarding program a few months ago. They were sitting behind the bench with the team during their CCS and NorCal playoff run but were not eligible. You can see them in the video celebrating with the team on the court after their CCS championship game. It's left to be seen if they will be impact players.

Last edited:
Riordan has some talent coming up from their JVs and frosh team. 6'6" Gage Cross should also be returning as a junior after being injured the 2nd half of the season. They also admitted 6'8" twin transfer students from Sudan to their boarding program a few months ago. They were sitting behind the bench with the team during their CCS and NorCal playoff run but were not eligible. You can see them in the video celebrating with the team on the court after their CCS championship game. It's left to be seen if they will be impact players.
Winning a watered down CCS title after going 4-10 in league is not a successful season considering Riordan’s storied past, this is something that VC would be happy with. I heard the frosh A’s were a dumpster fire. Started 9-0 and finished 11-10 and had some embarrassing outbursts during league.

In the middle of your best attempt to bash Riordan and cast as negative a light as possible on them, (they did do much better than the last few previous years) you failed to mention they made it to the second round of Norcals after upsetting SPSV. I especially liked the "I heard" comment.

Last edited:
I thought the new coach did a great job! Next year with Jelani and the rest of the returning players then should be a contender. Coaching JV and then moving to varsity is a big jump.. JV level you can get away with pressing weaker players into turnovers but not at the varsity level.

I thought he was in the running for the PALY job so I had to make some phone calls down to some friends on Phelan Ave. (or should I say Frida Khalo Way) when I saw this rumor a couple of days ago. We'll I finally got a call back. It looks like Coach Forslund will be joining Coach Curtin's staff next season. Seems like a great place for him at this point in his career. Coach and former player are teaming up.

Curtin did some nice things with the team and program as a whole in year 1. Things are looking up over there.

I thought he was in the running for the PALY job so I had to make some phone calls down to some friends on Phelan Ave. (or should I say Frida Khalo Way) when I saw this rumor a couple of days ago. We'll I finally got a call back. It looks like Coach Forslund will be joining Coach Curtin's staff next season. Seems like a great place for him at this point in his career. Coach and former player are teaming up.

Curtin did some nice things with the team and program as a whole in year 1. Things are looking up over there.
Kind of like a Steve Kerr ( offensive scheme) and Ron Adams (defensive guru) team.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Don't oil and vinegar go well together? Am i missing the point of this metaphor?
This can only help Riordan. It’s one thing when a well respected coach like Diepenbrock adds the Dr to his staff. It really tells you something about Curtin who is about to start his second year as the head man. Obviously he just wants to have the best staff possible and is not worried about who gets credit he just wants W’s.

In the middle of your best attempt to bash Riordan and cast as negative a light as possible on them, (they did do much better than the last few previous years) you failed to mention they made it to the second round of Norcals after upsetting SPSV. I especially liked the "I heard" comment.

Upset a Spsv team missing 2 starters due to suspension..

And that is Riordan's problem? Riordan did not have its 6-3 jr. wing starter since game 3 of league play and Chun suffered an injury @ SPSV. Did not complain about it in their loss to a tough Grant team in the next round. Add to that numerous players out with injury throughout the year. Crusaders went 10 deep during many games. Next man up!

Crusaders should be top half of the WCAL next season. While they lose 3 year starter, James Chun, lots of underclassmen developed and made great contributions during their post-season run through Sectionals and Norcals. Their soph 6-2 guard made opponents pay with his 3 pt shooting when they double teamed Chun. Coach Curtin's use of his entire roster (both by design and necessity) had the first year varsity underclassmen make significant contributions. Coming back from season-ending injuries are their 6-6 center and 6-3 wing starter. The JV team is coming off a solid campaign last season and includes some big men and a frosh guard that saw a lot of minutes along with a quick, savvy and deadly outside-shooting guard that saw minutes for the varsity in the post season. The 6-8 twins are raw, but I hear are great kids and ready to put in the work. Let's hope Crusader alum, Rob Jones, can lend his coaching experience! Lol! They will be juniors next year. Finally, do not forget about Je'lani Clark! He will already be a two-year starter beginning his junior year! What I'm most pleased about is the entire program is going in the right direction highlighted last season with the Crusader Forum renovation and exemplified by Coach Forslund joining his former student-player as part of his staff.

Crusaders should be top half of the WCAL next season. While they lose 3 year starter, James Chun, lots of underclassmen developed and made great contributions during their post-season run through Sectionals and Norcals. Their soph 6-2 guard made opponents pay with his 3 pt shooting when they double teamed Chun. Coach Curtin's use of his entire roster (both by design and necessity) had the first year varsity underclassmen make significant contributions. Coming back from season-ending injuries are their 6-6 center and 6-3 wing starter. The JV team is coming off a solid campaign last season and includes some big men and a frosh guard that saw a lot of minutes along with a quick, savvy and deadly outside-shooting guard that saw minutes for the varsity in the post season. The 6-8 twins are raw, but I hear are great kids and ready to put in the work. Let's hope Crusader alum, Rob Jones, can lend his coaching experience! Lol! They will be juniors next year. Finally, do not forget about Je'lani Clark! He will already be a two-year starter beginning his junior year! What I'm most pleased about is the entire program is going in the right direction highlighted last season with the Crusader Forum renovation and exemplified by Coach Forslund joining his former student-player as part of his staff.

On a related note, when you mention "the entire program," it is assumed you are referring only to Riordan basketball. But the entire athletic program continues to struggle. Wrestling and basketball are making progress. Football is in and out, up and down. Spring sports are a major issue when it comes to being competitive within the WCAL. According to the league website, Riordan's five varsity spring teams were a combined 2-50 in league play. WCAL volleyball and lacrosse are not offered on Phelan Avenue.

Yes. Hoops. Wrestling also applied the same model a few years ago. Baby steps Col.

Yes. Hoops. Wrestling also applied the same model a few years ago. Baby steps Col.

i like your optimism but you and I know our schools' bread and butter. For you guys its basketball, wrestling and maybe football and that pretty much it. For us its, womens volleyball, womens basketball, mens basketball, both soccer teams sometimes.

i like your optimism but you and I know our schools' bread and butter. For you guys its basketball, wrestling and maybe football and that pretty much it. For us its, womens volleyball, womens basketball, mens basketball, both soccer teams sometimes.
Agree. It's all about the changed demographics of The City. That is why water sports and volleyball are not currently offered. Rugby is very popular, but is a club sport.

Colehenry,

You can throw shade all you want, the Fourm redone, the field getting turf.

SI has its place and now Riordan is doing the right things.

Watch the Purple & Gold on the gridiron this coming season

I am Back, Johnny

Don't think the Col was throwing shade, just simply posting facts. His comments have always been well intentioned in seeing the Crusaders' success. Tough love from a fellow WCALer.

Have Forslund in mix may add 2-3 league games, but contending as in formidable Top 3? Possible a year, two away. In all honesty. They will continue to compete in CCS III.

As long as school doesnt mess around with best concession stand in Bay Area, I will keep coming back.

Have Forslund in mix may add 2-3 league games, but contending as in formidable Top 3? Possible a year, two away. In all honesty. They will continue to compete in CCS III.

As long as school doesnt mess around with best concession stand in Bay Area, I will keep coming back.

how sure are you that they will be in CCS DIII? they very well could be in Open next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT