ADVERTISEMENT

Sac-Bee Girls All-Metro POY and Teams

cptmycpa

Sports Fanatic
Jan 19, 2016
In the Sunday, April 5, 2020 edition of the Sacramento Bee newspaper Sports section:
THE SACRAMENTO BEE 2019-20 ALL-METRO GIRLS TEAMS

Player of the year:
Jzaniya Harriel, Antelope, Jr.

Coach of the year:
Rich Simpton, Colfax

FIRST TEAM
G Samaya Beatty, McClatchy, Sr.
G Grace Bliss, Colfax, Sr.
G Teagan Brown, Oak Ridge, So.
F Madison Parry, Del Oro, Sr.
F Bria Shine, Christian Brothers, Sr
G Ahrray Young, Laguna Creek, So.

SECOND TEAM
G Jordan Goodwin, Antelope, Sr.
G Charity Gallegos, Folsom, Jr.
G Kaiija Lesane, Antelope, Jr.
F Anne Lillis, Placer, Sr.
G Gabby Rones, West Campus, Sr.
G Maile Williams, Capital Christian, Sr.

THIRD TEAM
G Sophia Covello, Woodcreek, Jr.
G Mia Fleming-Mullins, St. Francis, Sr.
G Alli McDonald, Union Mine, Sr.
G Anaya Mejia, Monterey Trail, Sr.
G Jazzy Owens, Colfax, Jr.
G Zoey Tillery, Laguna Creek, So.

FOURTH TEAM
F Madison Butcher, Del Oro, So.
F Erica Ingram, Oak Ridge, Sr.
G Sarah Jackson, Christian Brothers, Jr.
G Bri Lambey, Granite Bay, Sr.
G Diamond Richardson, Grant, Jr.
G Saray White, McClatchy, So.

FIFTH TEAM
F Joia Armstrong, Vanden, Sr.
G Zenevieve Casebolt, Pioneer, Sr.
G Karli Cooper, Christian Brothers, So.
G Angel Jordan, Antelope, Sr.
G Reba Sy, Franklin, Sr.
F Mia Perez, Vista del Lago, Sr.

HONORABLE MENTION
Hannah Baer, Victory Christian; Joe’l Benoit, Inderkum; Mary Carter, Rocklin; Maya Chelini, Elk Grove; Jiana Creswell, Vanden; Emme Eisenman, Davis; Amayia Evans, Elk Grove; Imani Felix, McClatchy; Kayla Fermil, McClatchy; Eva Gra, Cordova; Genesis Hamilton, Wood; Corrie Harrison, Cordova; Lauren Helwig, Oak Ridge; Amber Jackson, Forest Lake Christian; AJ Jackson, Monterey Trail; Lindsey King, Sacramento Waldorf; Emika Love, Cordova; Lesieli Manupule, Laguna Creek; Megan McConnell, Oak Ridge; Alicia McDaniel, Forest Lake Christian; Talia Medalle, Dixon; Erikah Mitchell, Natomas; Senia Moore, Sacramento; Natalie Moulos, Del Oro; Faith Mucheru, Christian Brothers; Sophie Olsen, Oak Ridge; Eden Perry, Woodcreek; Rebecca Reed, Golden Sierra; Sidney Richards, Inderkum; Julia Riley, Granite Bay; Heaven Samayoa-Mathis, Sacramento; Alyssa Sandle, Roseville; Katelyn Sitterud, Granite Bay; Niya Stubbs, Florin; Christelle Williams, Valley Christian.

GIRLS FINAL TOP 20
1. Antelope (29-4)
2. Oak Ridge (24-7)
3. Del Oro (24-11)
4. Laguna Creek (28-4)
5. McClatchy (26-5)
6. Colfax (30-5)
7. Christian Brothers (24-9)
8. Placer (26-4)
9. Woodcreek (24-6)
10. Granite Bay (20-10)
11. Vanden (27-6)
12. Folsom (19-10)
13. Franklin (24-6)
14. Vista del Lago (20-11)
15. Lincoln (26-5)
16. West Campus (21-6)
17. Monterey Trail (17-6)
18. Grant (17-11)
19. Sacramento (16-14)
20. Forest Lake Christian (25-5)

Reactions: basketba11
For a Bay Area hoops follower, these lists are quite refreshing. Why? The bulk of the players and teams are of the public school persuasion. What a concept. Not so much in the Bay Area where the private/parochials dominate the girls' side utterly. Hooray for the Sacramento metro region. A breath of fresh air to be sure.

Reactions: cptmycpa
For a Bay Area hoops follower, these lists are quite refreshing. Why? The bulk of the players and teams are of the public school persuasion. What a concept. Not so much in the Bay Area where the private/parochials dominate the girls' side utterly. Hooray for the Sacramento metro region. A breath of fresh air to be sure.

Sacramento is one of the last Public school holdouts in the entire state. None of the private schools on the boys or girls side are the dominate programs in any sport.

Sacramento is one of the last Public school holdouts in the entire state. None of the private schools on the boys or girls side are the dominate programs in any sport.

Why do you think that is?

A couple things:

*Though Sacramento High was down this past year, it should not be considered a "public" school. It's a magnet school that any student in the 47,000-student district can attend.

*A major factor in the overall success of private schools is the state of the nearby public schools. The worse the public school system -- and yes, that would be Oakland -- the more attractive the private school options. I know very little about the quality of public schools in the Sacramento area, but the point made above would lead me to believe they're pretty good.

Many of the best (academic, faculties, facilities, dollars per pupil, taxpayer support, etc.) public high schools in NorCal and the state are located in the Central Coast Section _ Gunn, Palo Alto, Cupertino, Monte Vista, Carlmont, Aragon, Los Altos, Homestead, Burlingame, Mills, Lynbrook and so on. Yet, CCS hosts not one but two all-private/parochial leagues. Maybe it's all that Sillycon Valley money that skews the girls' hoops equation. Who knows?

My guess is more money in the Bay Area led to the founding/growth of the private schools in the Bay Area. More money is coming into Sacramento area, but the public schools have a long term footprint now.

A couple things:

*Though Sacramento High was down this past year, it should not be considered a "public" school. It's a magnet school that any student in the 47,000-student district can attend.

*A major factor in the overall success of private schools is the state of the nearby public schools. The worse the public school system -- and yes, that would be Oakland -- the more attractive the private school options. I know very little about the quality of public schools in the Sacramento area, but the point made above would lead me to believe they're pretty good.

How do you get the 47,000 number? I don't disagree that Sacramento is a quasi public school, but the number seems high

A couple things:

I do not think anyone see’s Sac. High as a public school more like the best of both worlds, No tuition, No boundaries but the fall off, both the boys and girls programs is more due to mismanagement by the administration, AD and coaching. Because of their near perfect situation, they should be the powerhouse in Sacramento. The emergence of Laguna Creek is due to the failure of Sac. High. 90% of those girls, five years ago would have been at Sac. In addition, 50% of the McClatchy girls would also be at Sac. On the boys side the Kids that are at Grant would have perhaps been at Sac. In addition, Sheldon without question the region powerhouse.

My number is hyperbolic, but there are 43,000 students in the district -- but that includes elementary and middle schools. So let's say that 25% of that 43,000 are high school age, which would put Sacramento's recruitable population at about 5,000 girls.

The biggest public schools in Northern California have about 1,700 girls in their school but most have well below 1,000. And of course, Sacramento's staff can focus on middle school and recruit those players they really like out of that group.

Reactions: colhenrylives
My number is hyperbolic, but there are 43,000 students in the district -- but that includes elementary and middle schools. So let's say that 25% of that 43,000 are high school age, which would put Sacramento's recruitable population at about 5,000 girls.

The biggest public schools in Northern California have about 1,700 girls in their school but most have well below 1,000. And of course, Sacramento's staff can focus on middle school and recruit those players they really like out of that group.

Montgomery and Santa Rosa high schools in Santa Rosa have right around 2000 kids.

Which means there are about 1,000 girls to choose from. And this is not a knock, direct or indirect, on Cardinal Newman, but some top players will look to Monica's program first -- and as we all know, one or two elite players can make an enormous difference. I have no idea where Anya Choice lives, but imagine how much better Montgomery might have been with her on the team.

Sacramento High can find the elite players in the area and recruit them in middle school. With 5,000 girls to choose from, again, they only need to land one or two of the best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT