ADVERTISEMENT

Serra's Chuck Rapp-CA state basketball coach of the year

Re: Chuck Rapp-CA state basketball coach of the year

Wow I guess Lou Ritchie better step it up and do a better job.Complete joke

Not a complete joke. Coach Richie did an amazing and pressure packed job with a team that was supposed to compete for a State title. Coach Rapp took a team with no projected DI talent (in all honestly probably still none), wasnt even suppose to finish in top 3 in WCAL and made an amazing run with a fundemental sound program.

Both got their alcalades. A good choice.

You just made my point try getting 16 and 17 year old athletes to win a OPEN DIVISION TITLE when everybody is saying you should win it.yes coach Rapp did a great job and did over achieve
but what Lou did is worthy of state coach of the year.So in my opinion it is a complete joke.

This post was edited on 4/16 4:34 PM by bones40

I think most fans would agree there was a huge difference in the talent between the 2 teams in discussion. in regards to their coaches. As one poster mentioned Serra was not supposed to compete for the title in WCAL and no one picked them to win the Open. With no D1 talent again it appeared to be a down year for Serra. BOD on the other hand was picked pre-season as a front runner & had the talent down the stretch to prove it. Switch coaches & I wonder if the teams results would have been the same?

I don't wonder at all, I say Rapp and his staff would do just as well with BOD but Ritchie would struggle with the Peninsula's version of the Hickory Hoosiers. O'Dowd beat Moreau in the NCS Finals 70-61 on 3/7. O'Dowd has the 7th rated player in the country, NorCal's top rated point guard headed to Boise St and a 6-8 forward headed to Northern Arizona. Less than a week later, Serra ass whips Moreau 79-51 led by their 6-3 center who has committed to play at REDLANDS. Congrats to Ritchie and O'Dowd for bringing home the title but any unbiased observer would say that Rapp and his staff did an incredible job this season. Fortunately, O'Dowd graduates 6-7 players so next year Ritchie will have the chance to display his chops without having the most talent laden team in NorCal.

If Lou Ritchie loses that game he would be getting killed on this board and being called a choke artist. He Wins and then it's he was supposed to and we are talking about how great Rapp is for beating a highly overrated moreau team.OK enough of this topic the Kool-aid is to sweet
for my taste buds.

Like Rapp, no one thought Nick Jones' Monte Vista team was going to win anything this season. They lost all 5 starters from last season's 32-1 team, and everyone picked DLS or SRV (with far more talent) to win the EBAL and NCS this season. He led the Mustangs to both the EBAL and NCS titles and a close Open division loss to a tough Modesto Christian squad that came down to the last shot. They also beat Moreau by 19 this season.

It could have went to Rapp (Serra), Jones (MV), or Watson (Campo) IMO. All 3 of those teams were on nobody's radar to start the season. Richie had a frickn future lottery pick on this team. Same argument could be made for Mater Dei with Stanley Johnson. They were suppose to win and they did. Hell they won 4 years in a row. Nobody is going to call Mcknight a good coach either.

"They also beat Moreau by 19 this season."

Observer22

I just went on to maxpreps.com and the only loses Moreau had this year to teams in California were to O'Dowd, Mater Dei, and Serra.

Who else did they lose to by 19?

Congrats to Coach Rapp form Serra! He was worthy and so was Ritchie. They both did a hell of a job.......

Coach Frank Knight won this same award last season after they lost to Bishop Montgomery in the state title, figure that.....lol

Good catch Fenton. My bad. I don't know where I got that from. I thought I had seen it on MaxPreps but just checked again and sure enough they never played this year. Still a great year by both Monte Vista and Moreau.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT