ADVERTISEMENT

SF Chronicle "Girls Player of the Year" Candidates

Ol' Brick Layer

Superstar
Nov 16, 2014
Congratulations to the seven finalists for Player of the Year, as listed in the February 17th SF Chronicle:

Sabrina Ionescu, Miramonte
De Ja Nay Powell, McClymonds
Ayzhiana Basallo, Lick-Wilmerding
Ma'Anne Mosley, St. Mary's Berkeley
Marcella Hughes, Carondelet
Minyon Moore, Salesian
Hailey Pascoe, Clayton Valley

All great players having great seasons

for the humor bin--today's CCTimes listed Ionescu as honorable mention for female athlete of the week, crediting her with a triple double v. Dublin (21/18/18 p/a/r) and a quadruple double v. Alhambra (24/12/11 w 10 steals). I think the female athlete of the week scored three touchdowns in the Super Bowl and led the NBA all-star game in scoring…maybe if she'd had a quad v Dublin...

Can't wait to see the POY for the 209.....
my vote is for AMac...player number 2 for the
little school in Stockton...

I am sure SMS will say they
have 5 players just as good

This post was edited on 2/19 5:27 PM by jazzpt55

Here we go again. Some of you just can't reply to a post and give your opinion without going off topic and/or trying to stir up unnecessary drama. Sad! Aarion McDonald is a phenomenal player, been making noise going back to 7th and 8th grade when she was playing for the Mustangs high school team, as a freshmen in Fresno before she transferred to Brookside, way before most of you on here knew who she was. She's a beast on both ends of the court, not just an offensive player. An already proven D1 prospect, has Washington locked in. Of course she's a great candidate for POY in this area. And if she receives it, it will be well deserved!

This post was edited on 2/19 6:20 PM by kkross22

So who wins the All Norcal Award that's a hard one and why Aisia Robertson from BOD not on the list clearly she was the reason BOD made a late run in the season to when their Leagues 10-0. How is she not in the running she is one of the best 1 on 1 players in the NCS Section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Northbaybb and anyone else can anyone tell why she is not on the list????????????????????????????????????? And Going to KU next year Big time D1 school too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This post was edited on 2/19 8:09 PM by ballersdreams

These are excellent players, but other than Sabrina it's not a credible list. Robertson, Graham, Coleman, Raggio .... ? The norcalpreps rankings are much closer to the mark.

To be honest I would take Aisia Robertson over Sabrina Ionescu because 1 on1 hands down Robertson wins. Robertson does fit on the USA because she is a different type of player. She is just like Gary Payton he never made the USA team but end up in the NBA became on of the best defender. Hands down Robertson is a better player because in every game she wants to defend the best player on the court she never shies away. Just like during the Dublin game did Ionescu cover the best player which her first sport is soccer. I heard Milan Moses cover her but Ionescu didn't cover her and is UConn still interested or did that went away. Like I said before I know a lot of people in the basketball world. The USA team wont take a hot head but I would any day because she will be their when I need a defender that was to defend the best to be the best.

Some interesting points amidst the usual hyperbole ...

My experience with Ionescu is that she doesn't back down from defending anyone. Since Miramonte and the Cal Stars both press quite a bit, the opportunity for one-on-one matchups are much less, and Miramonte doesn't play a lot of man. When they do, however, Ionescu guards the other team's best perimeter player (Natalie Romeo last year, for example).

Ionescu is an outstanding defender, and that attribute was on display at the USA Basketball trials, and that's one major reason she came from out of nowhere to make the team.

I'm not claiming Robertson is less than an outstanding defender either, but if there is a difference, it's not a that great.

Where there is a difference is perimeter shooting. Ionescu is a much better three-point shooter than Robertson, and I believe she's also a couple inches taller, which allows her to get her shot off against shorter opponents.

Though I think Robertson is a quality player, and Power 5-bound, I think Ionescu is an elite player who can do everything Robertson can do, plus a little bit more.

It can be amusing to see where conversations on this forum lead, and unfortunately it's generally not in a constructive direction. This thread is no different. For starters no news service in today's climate has the capability to fully assess girls high school basketball individual performance over a full season, so it does make any such rating ripe for controversy, but to suggest it's not a credible list sounds bitter. And when you list players that you feel should be considered, but don't include any metrics, it only weakens your argument. Two of the girls, Pascoe and Bassolo, average 25 points per game. How can you say.they aren't credible candidates? And of course Mosley (Cal) is a one woman wrecking crew at SMB. Very credible.

As for Robertson, huge talent, but she played out of position. The one time I saw her play, early in the season, she struggled at the point. So, maybe that's why she didn't make the list. As Baller likes to say "it's based on performance this season, not in the past"

Iounescu is a rare talent. Celebrate her success. We have the good fortune of being able to watch one of the nations very best girls high school basketball players right in our own backyard. Quadruple doubles, who does that. She is remarkable.

Again, congratulations to all nominees for their achievement!

Not bitter and not disrespecting anyone. Got no ducks in the pond. You are right about Mosley. Scoring averages depend a lot on who you play with and against. I am fortunate to have seen a lot of the players multiple times over the last couple of years. Know who I would pick. Personally, if I was putting together a D1 college team from Bay Area high school talent, I'd start with Destiny Graham.

>> And when you list players that you feel should be considered,
>> but don't include any metrics, it only weakens your argument.

> Personally, if I was putting together a D1 college team from
> Bay Area high school talent, I'd start with Destiny Graham.

Care to elaborate?

Interesting, I have never seen Graham play. Sounds like I am missing out on a huge talent. And to build around her when you have the likes of Thomas, Iounescu, Mosley etc. She must be impressive.

Logic, when you state that the list isn't "credible" that comment strikes me as being disrespectful of the players being nominated. And having a "Duck on that pond" might explain my response. Maybe I'm being too sensitive. It happens.

Robertson struggle in the beginning of the preseason but she is fine now. They is a reason why Kelly play zone on both his high school and AAU teams. Its easy to hide players from the 1 on 1 matchup. Man defense is hard to teach but zone u can make a first year player play good zone defense. Some people can shoot over a good defends face no matter how tall she is that does matter if a player is a good defender and put a hand in the face. Players can shoot with a hand in their face but that comes from a coach that coaches man defense. That's like saying Duke puts out better NBA players than Tarheels. Duke plays zone very will but Tarheels player better man to man.

But don't get me wrong Ionescu is a good player. She is a great open floor shooter and gives great assist.

Starting A D1 with Destiny Graham wont be my choice because I seen she this year in AAU ball when she had to play man to man she did horrible against someone that was as tall and athletic as she is. I would take McDonald (Brookside Christian) PG, Clayton (SMS) 2G, A'shanti Coleman (SHC) SF, Ry'kyra Gabriel (Brookside Christian) PF, and Destiny Lee (McClatchy) C. All these players play great man to man defense and press man to man. Great teams in college today are Starting to play more man to man. A great example is Kentucky undefeated this year in and probably be undefeated with winning March Madness. IN 1976 Indiana Hoosier was the last team to go undefeated with the NCAA Basketball Championship.

The new day and age in college basketball recruiting players that can play man to man and put up points.

Poor choice of words perhaps. By "credible" I meant that whoever made the list apparently has not taken the opportunity to view the spectrum of players to be considered. Can't say that I have seen everyone enough to feel 100% on anything. But quite a few of these kids I have been following for awhile, some since elementary school.

Regarding Graham, she is long at 6'3", runs, jumps, and is very fit. Protects the paint, scores inside, passes, puts the ball on the floor, and even has a nice stroke from the 3 point line. Might need more work on perimeter defense, but I don't see her out there much. Has improved steadily since I first saw her back in middle school. High potential to help a team across all categories.

I know Graham Is a good offense player never doubt that her defense is the question mark with her. Teams that don't play a lot of man to man hurt the development of players basketball IQ. Defense is more important the some coaches know man to man makes a player think and learn about other players tendencies and how to stop them. So a lot people look as a good score as a great player but if they don't want to guard another great score what is that saying. I will tell what that is either that player cant guard another score or they are saving their energy for offense. Most time is because that player cant guard another score and the score my out score her. For example a player scores 23 points and the person they guard score 24 points that means a team lost at that position.

since it was brought up...I don't think a player from Lick Wilmerding should be in the conversation for POY...

They play in an EXTREMELY soft D5 league. (everyone is D5 except LW)....their overall schedule has also been very soft...

Playing the entire game vs a soft schedule...she SHOULD avg 25 pts /game....

I can grab 100 other players from good teams in the bay area and throw them in there and they would do the same thing.

Ionescu would avg 40 per game and triple/quad doubles everynight in that league.

and for that matter anybody on the POY list would put up ridiculous #'s in that league.

That's like saying someone in AAA baseball who hit 100 hrs should win the major league MVP....

shes had a very good yr...POY in HER league....but not the bay area...not even close.

***** lets be real, the only reason shes getting mentioned is because LW is a SF school....

This post was edited on 2/20 12:28 PM by northbaybbguru

i don't get it ? you say that Graham doesn't play man, but I've seen Brookside and SMS play at least 5 times each this year and have yet to see either of them play man to man. With that said i don't think a players value or basketball IQ should be determined by what defense their hs coaches prefer them to play. I know Graham has a good basketball IQ, so does McDonald, Gabriel, and Cayton, but none of their teams play much straight man to man from what I've seen.

I seen all McDonald, Clayton, and Gabriel play on AAU teams that play a lot of man to man defense. Yes defense makes a difference in a person IQ in a game. They know where the person they are play wants to do and knows what player cant do. Players the want to guard the best have the best feel of the game. For example Larry bird was on of the greats that can play both side of the ball and it wasn't because he was fast it. Bird played defense and took away most players first step going to the basket. Another example Michael Jordan was the best of his craft in scoring and defense. He would challenge himself every game to play the best score on the court. Last example is Kobe Bryant a great score but better defender always up for a challenge each game even when he was injured. Defense wins Championships and one on one defense always will be respect by greatness. Now if you can tell me that defense doesn't raise basketball IQ you don't know what the game of basketball is real about. Ask anybody that played basketball they will always talk about player they had to defend and how defended them.

since it was brought up...I don't think a player from Lick Wilmerding should be in the conversation for POY...

They play in an EXTREMELY soft D5 league. (everyone is D5 except LW)....their overall schedule has also been very soft...

Playing the entire game vs a soft schedule...she SHOULD avg 25 pts /game....

I can grab 100 other players from good teams in the bay area and throw them in there and they would do the same thing.

Ionescu would avg 40 per game and triple/quad doubles everynight in that league.

and for that matter anybody on the POY list would put up ridiculous #'s in that league.

That's like saying someone in AAA baseball who hit 100 hrs should win the major league MVP....

shes had a very good yr...POY in HER league....but not the bay area...not even close.

***** lets be real, the only reason shes getting mentioned is because LW is a SF school....

You nailed it! There's more players should be in the conversation, on the list above probably 2 or 3 players are pretty much solid candidates

- Mcdonald, Graham, Bade and Raggio are players that should be considered mentioning, this players have great basketball IQ on both ends, could play multiple positions and a game changer and the strength of the schedule, stepping up their game against very good teams

- it's just an opinion so don't be personal

Ill Start with the Comparison between Robertson and Ionesc...
Yes they are two different players and I may be bias but Honestly what Aisia has can not be taught.
She is a great defender hands down, and maybe if her team put up 200+ shots a day on a shooting machine I'm pretty sure her range would be a bit better. No she wasn't on the USA team, however looking at the nominees she is the only one who has was a state championship a time or two (could be three but we know how that went)
Yes she SHOULD be mentioned however the SF Chronicle felt otherwise.
Aisia will leave CA and take her talents down to KU and go on to become a even greater player at a higher level. The opinions of this forum and others will not make her better. This is a place where the best players will not get mentioned until they do something that some one on here feels is good enough to post or they did something worthy of talking about.
Robertson scored 33 points in a game, made the BOD 1000 points club and yes helped her team go 10-0 in their league. None of those thing were mentioned when they happened, Yet her team looses to SMS then we want to talk about her trash talk?
thanks for the mentions though

This post was edited on 2/20 3:30 PM by TEAM_AR

This post was edited on 2/21 8:24 AM by TEAM_AR

BD, you realize of course that USA Basketball tryouts are only man-to-man? And that's how Ionescu jumped past 22 invited players with bigger reputations to make not one but two USA Basketball teams?

And Destiny Lee is a great man-to-man defender? I like Lee as a player, but I don't quite think of her as a defensive stopper.

And from your list, you don't have Ionescu at any of the three perimeter spots in your list of the best in Northern California. Of course, you could be right, but I think you're very, very alone in that assessment.

To make the USA that is Coach by Sue Philips just have to have the votes to make the team and a coach on your side. Like I said before Robertson doesn't fit the mold to be a USA team player. She is a great player that plays the game like old school players play the game. She talk to who every she defends to get in their head which is the mental part of the game. If I remember right Ionescu had a metal breakdown during the Berkeley game and said something out of her nature. If she is great like u talk about she will make the McDonald All American team next year but the usually take only 1 or 2 from the same area with saying that McDoonald and Clayton is going to be hard to beat. This year will tell it all during the Playoffs and this summer AAU.

And yes Ionescu would play for the team I talk about before but as a role player come of the bench for instant scoring. I all so would have a Health Thomas (BOD) PG, Robertson (BOD) 2G, Ionescu (MM) SF, Bell (Bradshaw Christian), and Vanderdoes (Placer) C. The 3 reserves would be Colaivalu (Rosemont) G, Mosley (SMB) G/SF and Gracia (McClatchy) PF/C. Each one of these players are D1 bound to good schools Most of them players play good defense.

And I think a lot people will agree with this team in my opinion because its honest opinion about players and I dont talk about players just to pump them up just tell the truth . Because some of these girls are not on good teams but all the players know them with that saying most players know who if an another player is good or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post was edited on 2/20 10:51 PM by ballersdreams

This post was edited on 2/21 12:54 AM by ballersdreams

This post was edited on 2/21 1:01 AM by ballersdreams

First, perhaps you didn't see the story in the Contra Costa Times in which that alleged incident involving Ionescu supposedly occurred.

The verdict, by NCS commissioner Gil Lemmon after extensive investigation, was that nothing happened. I can give you more details if you'd like (clayk@fullcourt.com) but neither Sabrina Ionescu or any other Miramonte player or coach said anything untoward during that game. I think it would be good if everyone quit spreading that allegation, as it simply is not true.

Now, why would Phillips be on Ionescu's side? She has no vote on the selection committee anyway, and really had no more opportunity to see Ionescu prior to the tryouts that she did anyone else. Ionescu earned that spot by, in part, playing great man-to-man defense for three days. Were you there?

Which leads to the last question: What do you have against Sabrina Ionescu? It seems like you are looking for reasons to dislike her, including bringing up a disproved allegation just to make her look bad. I don't doubt that these other players are quite good, but Ionescu's reputation and production are greater than any of them. Your only criticism so far is that she doesn't play good man-to-man (while claiming Destiny Lee does), and yet you've never seen her play man-to-man, and you claim she "ducks" tough opponents when a) she doesn't make those decisions, and b) that's simply not true (see the tape of Carondelet-Miramonte last year).

Clay, don't take it so personal regarding Ionescu. BD is an equal opportunity hater of many young female basketball players. He hasn't learned that you can promote a player without having to attack others.
This post was edited on 2/21 9:14 AM by Ol' Brick Layer

I have nothing against Ionescu at all but she is not what you have been talking about. In the class of 2016 there are a lot players that are just as good or better. Clay I know what is you always have Kellys back if he is right or wrong and of course we know that the Gil Lemmon wont find anything because it was said on the court. Berkeley wont walk off the court for no reason. But all of us knew it would be covered up or sweep under the rug because it was a Black and White thing that happen. She is one of the top player of 2016 but not the best. You and media put to much on it all the time. The reason why we don't see her play man to man is because Kelley doesn't stress man to man.

Destiny Lee will man up any center in Norcal . Center has to play players do low which she does very well wont let another center in the paint when she is guarding them. In seen she play a couple of times this year in AAU ball where she team only plays man and scramble. She did very well against who ever she played that why she is going to UNLV next year. She has a big body and still quick that is big as a center.

The other thing I have talk about before I would take McDonald or Clayton for McDonald All American. When that happens this next year and it will mark my words one of them will be going to the biggest stage of High School basketball. Then we can put all this behind because that will tell you what all the college coaches think is the best in Norcal.

The team that said I would love to have all of them are D! bound to big school that make March Madness most the time. In do time some on the list will make impact in college their Freshman year.

Nothing against Sabrina, been watching the kid play since she was like in 4th grade. She had a killer instinct (not literally), a passion for the game, was better than most back then. So no surprise Sabrina made the USA team and is one of the best players in Nor Cal, state, nation, NO DOUBT.
One thing people need to understand, it's not always about who's the absolute best player than anyone else. It has more to do with who has the resources, who can get their kid there. Let's be honest, some have connections and money, most people don't. It's about being at the right place, in front of the right people, and performing, all at the same time.
My kid and I had a talk with Brittany Boyd's dad the other night at Cal's senior night. He tells my kid to stay focused on her game and getting better, and more importantly, on her academics. Not that she was, but he told her not to worry about the rankings, the accolades such and such player gets, what Nike team or USA team they play for, reminded her Brittany was not a Nike kid, USA player or All American kid, but she did not let that discourage her, and look at her now.
At the end of the day, the hard work these kids put in will get recognized, maybe not at the high school level, but if they are really good, their college career will speak for itself. Yeah college, where performance trumps everything!

This post was edited on 2/21 11:53 AM by kkross22

KKross22

I was going to say the same thing having money and connections always help players out more the people know. AAU is a great platform for kids that go to those school that aren't that good.

I'm going to have to come back about the Berkeley-Miramonte game.

You were not there. I was. The people who were there were interviewed. There was an extensive investigation involving interviews with every Berkeley player and the Berkeley administration. The finding: Nothing happened.

Again, nothing happened.

Nothing was swept under the rug, no one was kept from speaking. There is video evidence.

The situation is very clear. Berkeley left the floor directly after the second technical foul was called on Jaimoni Welch-Coleman. That's why the team left the floor. If you were there, you would know that. Watch the tape and you'll see it.

I dislike an event I work every hard on being branded for something that did not happen. Game administration, which would be me, along with Miramonte, was accused of something that did not occur. If you have evidence that it did occur, or a specific Berkeley person can come forward with a specific time and evidence, then that's a different story.

Of course, a negative can't be proven, and you can choose to believe what you want. But at this point, I would think a person who was open to the possibility that he or she was wrong would be willing to concede that what everyone says didn't happen actually didn't happen.

It's not about who is better than who. Either you can ball or you can not. It is evident that each girl who's name has been brought up can ball. And many more who's names aren't mentioned can also ball. It is great to see so much improvement in the women's game.

How many times have we seen a Heisman trophy winner become a bust? How many low draft picks become Tom Brady's etc…. There are some players on better teams and running in better systems that may or may not help them excel.

We will see some of these girls go on to have wonderful college careers and perhaps more? Just because you are a good middle school or high school player, it doesn't guarantee you will continue to excel at the next level. Hopefully they all continue to develop and expand their game.

Looking in from the outside many, if not all, of theses girls have been working hard to be the best player they're capable of becoming. Personally, I will salute them all for their dedication. And because they are all coming out of our Norcal area, I wish them all nothing but the best.

Paytc

This post was edited on 2/21 12:56 PM by Paytc

This post was edited on 2/21 1:05 PM by Paytc

This post was edited on 2/21 1:09 PM by Paytc

Clay,

I was not there, so I really don't know what happened. I am not anti any player, school, AAU program, have no hidden agenda whatsoever.
I would like to think that in this day in age race is not an issue, but we all know it is, and anytime it is brought into question, me being Black, it is a serious issue.
I would hope no fan or player made a racial slur at the game. I honestly hope it didn't happen. As it should, an investigation was done, persons involved were questioned, so were witnesses, which is what should have happened. But me being the person I am, I know better, to know an investigation is no guarantee that something didn't happen. People lie, things are omitted, no investigation is 100%. There's always 3 sides to everything, one person's (team's) account, the other person's (team's) account, and between there somewhere lies the truth. Only GOD knows. That's all I am saying.
Once again, as to not be misunderstood, I have always been hopeful, it did not happen.

This post was edited on 2/21 5:46 PM by kkross22

I GOING TO ASK ONE QUESION THEN I GOING TO LEAVE THIS ALONE. NO PLAYER OR COACH WOULD NEVER OMIT TO AND WRONG DOING BECUASE THAT WOULD FOLLOW THEM THE REST OF THE CAREER. WHY WOULD BERKELEY COACH TAKE THEIR TEAM OFF THE COURT FOR JUST 2 TECHS AND THIS IS HER FIRST TIME EVER TO DO THIS IN 9 YRS OF COACHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But now I will leave this alone again and thank you KKross for letting people know there is a lot questions on what happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its over now because nothing came from the game but Berkeley coach taking her team off the court for her on reason!!!!!!!!!!! That does set right in anybody minds at all if you real think about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I understand Clay it was your event and your are protect the integrity of your event but the question will always be out their now and if was cover up you will lose a lot of teams from this.

northbaybbguru,

I didn't read the article by Harold, but I did see texts my daughter received from one of the Berkeley players, a good friend of hers, less than an hour after the incident, before it hit social media. You can't recant that type of emotion. That's all I'm saying. As a kid I recanted an incident, not because it didn't happen, but because it was told to me it would be best for everyone involved. No lie.
No one will ever know the whole truth. Sad so many reputations, especially the players are being called into question over this.

This post was edited on 2/22 3:51 AM by kkross22

I'll tell you this right now..HAROLD ABEND is a large reason why things escalated and you should take his Prep2Prep story with a grain of salt. The way he was SCREAMING at a parent from Berkeley about an incident that happened (I guess he was yelling at a Bhigh younger sibling and the dad had to get involved) after the game was shameless. Not only was he escalating the incident, but he was provoking. I did watch many games at Las Positas at the Jamboree and this man made it almost unbearable to watch because he kept spewing the stupidest comments...he needs to give the mike a rest and stick to writing.

So, Clay, I think when "they" are talking about administration, "they" are referring to Harold Abend, not you. If he wasn't administration at the shootout, I'm sorry..I thought he was. Everyone on here knows you do a great job for girls basketball and while you do have your favorites, I don't think you'd look the other way if something did happen.

the girl from Lick belongs on the list. Don't hate on her because of the league or the school
Watch her pkay this spring/summer then come back at me
This post was edited on 2/22 11:20 AM by rabbit5

Ballersdreams, you moved Some good points but Duke doesn't play zone defense my friend and the last national championship team to play zone was Syracuse in 2003 but that's just my 2 cent

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT