Superstar
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2010
Monterey 73-68.
SHC has a lot of young parts.

Mills vs riordan just started
Mills leads early 3-0

Reactions: GOTF
Showed after game was over. So I didn’t see.
Why?
I can’t believe they only have two refs for a playoff game

Mills up 18-17 at half. Mills couldn’t of asked for a better start. Control tempo and bleeding down each possession. Their Zone is frustrating Riordan besides Chun. He has 4 3’s. Clark can’t find Rythm against Zone and turned us ankle at the end of the half. Not sure how bad.

Mills 18 Riordan 17 at the half. Mills in a 2-3 zone and playing a deliberate motion offense.

Riordan 32 Mills 20 2min left in 3rd. Crusader soph Mack Yates lighting it up from 3

Mills trying to come back. Down 7 with 52.5 left.
Coaching staff from Riordan with questionable play calling and substituting at the end

J, have you heard about the x-fers that just arrived at Riordan? Sudanese, 6’8” each and will be playing for Team Arsenal?

Where’s the Finals at?

The CCS brackets don't list venue only Saturday March 3rd TBD. I would guess they'll have the D3 finals at Santa Clara University (SCU). I would expect the websites to be updated sometime tomorrow morning with location information for D1 - D5 finals - they have ten games to schedule on Saturday so they can't play them all at SCU.

J, have you heard about the x-fers that just arrived at Riordan? Sudanese, 6’8” each and will be playing for Team Arsenal?
There were two 6-6+ kids sitting on the Riordan bench, but were not suited up. Nice to see Justice Turner off his crutches.

That would be them! My source tells me that theyre in school and good to go.

‘The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer in San Francisco.’ ;)

Sounds like Woodside Priory North. Check out the WP roster. Surely one of the tallest units in NorCal. Several players are foreign guys who live in the WP dorms. It's a practice that's been ongoing for some time.

Reactions: 5MatchUp
IC, very surprised by that lack of a half-court D on the part of the Irish. It was Matador Mania all night. Did not look like a typical WCAL team. And, goodness, talk about a ton of wasted offensive possessions. Bad shots. Bad shots early in the shot-clock. Lack of ball movement. Unforced turnovers. Too much one-on-one and standing around. A general willy-nilly approach without a lot of rhyme or reason. A bit of an eye-opener all around. And Monterey is no slouch.

Reactions: GOTF and drmarkppd
Disappointing end to the SH season. Any season where SH doesnt make NorCals, I would consider the season a failure. Last year's 1st game exit was plain doo-doo. But give the benefit of the doubt, those players were not MacKay's players and were from that "toxic" era. This year's 2nd game exit just proved another brain fart by the team especially MacKay. Where were the adjustments? Where are the plays? I thought MacKay was brought in because he had this pedigree of having undervalued players overachieve with relentless effort and smart basketball. There was nothing smart about last night at all.

I will predict that if SH does not make NorCals next year, MacKay is out. If the so called big men transfers that are coming over for next season is true, then this is likely his last chance to bring the results the athletic department/alums are looking for when they brought him in to replace Barbour.

Positively thinking I feel Bryce Monroe will be the league player of the year and average about 25 a game. I dont see any way he doesnt add more wrinkles to his offensive game. I see him adding more weight and getting to the line alot more next year as well as up his assists by 2 more a game.

And better pray for a big man/men that can rebound because now that Oglesby is gone, there is no one on that bench that is going to fill that void. And please @Irish dont say Cheng is the answer.

I would cut cord with the coach immediately. Say thank you, but we will bring in a coach that runs multiple offense, stresses defense and helps build a program top to bottom. He is not a WCAL caliber coach (despite going to St. Francis, if that means anything). Nothing against the guy other than he is more comfortable in run and gun, AAU game, league. Bryce Monroe will miss this guy because he allowed him to dictate offense. It's not about one player but how all players intertwine. Giving the ball to Monroe, have him penetrate shoot or dish out is not an offense. Its a coach depending on a quick-fix. Honestly, they didnt even deserve to make post-season for last two years. And by the look of their frosh and JV team, not much to look forward to unless administration miraculously admits a few studs. SHC, start from stratch, build a overall program. Take your lumps for a few years and see what develops. Can I get an Amen!

I would cut cord with the coach immediately. Say thank you, but we will bring in a coach that runs multiple offense, stresses defense and helps build a program top to bottom. He is not a WCAL caliber coach (despite going to St. Francis, if that means anything). Nothing against the guy other than he is more comfortable in run and gun, AAU game, league. Bryce Monroe will miss this guy because he allowed him to dictate offense. It's not about one player but how all players intertwine. Giving the ball to Monroe, have him penetrate shoot or dish out is not an offense. Its a coach depending on a quick-fix. Honestly, they didnt even deserve to make post-season for last two years. And by the look of their frosh and JV team, not much to look forward to unless administration miraculously admits a few studs. SHC, start from stratch, build a overall program. Take your lumps for a few years and see what develops. Can I get an Amen!

City, I echo your analysis. The lumps comment doesnt cut it. When the great Brian Harrigan "left", Mike Carey had underwhelming seasons. It was unfair to expect him win state titles, however even in those down years under Carey, SH girls won CCS titles. So basically at least there was hardware to display even though it wasnt what some people were expecting (Norcal/State). LyRyan has that mojo if you will that the school wants, and I think he will stay there for as long as he wants.

I think MacKay was following a coaching great in Barbour. Even in down years Barbour still got players. LyRyan gets players. MacKay better get players or I think he's toast and the name of the game is results. Look how our fellow Crusaders and Wildcats did Buckner and Reardon?

Reactions: CityVibesII
No way to sugarcoat it other than to say, two years of underwhelming play and coaching. Monroe is a bright spot but Neal could be a stud if he was used better and so should have Oglesby and Hudson. That’s not on the players, it’s in the coach to create better opportunities for them to thrive in.

Just trying to outscore people doesn’t work in this league. There has to be some foundation to your defense. Their man is atrocious and then the change ups to a trap is also bad because the rotations that you get from being in good position off your man principles are not there.

This team plays individually both on offense and defense. Recipe for continued underachievement. CITYVIBES AMEN!!!

I was looking forward to a Riordan v. SHC part 3. The last game at the Crusader Forum was electric. The Irish have tremendous athleticism but couldn't put Monterey away when they had the chance. Monterey was able to keep scoring and SHC couldn't string together enough stops. But credit to Monterey as they are just as athletic and made clutch plays in the second half. They are the defending D3 champs for a reason.

Riordan's defense seemed really intense and focused against Mills. The Vikings had few opportunities to run their sets. Once the 3's started going it was over for Mills and the 2-3 zone. The Crusaders will need more from their bench if they want to beat Monterey on Saturday. Should be a good game. Will the game's be held at SCU?

DIII finals: Riordan v Monterey - Saturday 7pm at Independence HS (1776 Educational Park Dr, San Jose) according to CCS brackets on their website.

Riordan better bring their A game against Monterey on Saturday - payback from last year's beatdown! If Riordan loses AGAIN then they should be relegated to the AAA or AA next season ;).

Speaking of the AAA - The AAA/SF Section Varsity Basketball championships are set for Friday March 2 at Kezar Pavilion. Lowell and Mission begin the action at 5:00pm in the boys title game.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Disappointing end to the SH season. Any season where SH doesnt make NorCals, I would consider the season a failure. Last year's 1st game exit was plain doo-doo. But give the benefit of the doubt, those players were not MacKay's players and were from that "toxic" era. This year's 2nd game exit just proved another brain fart by the team especially MacKay. Where were the adjustments? Where are the plays? I thought MacKay was brought in because he had this pedigree of having undervalued players overachieve with relentless effort and smart basketball. There was nothing smart about last night at all.

I will predict that if SH does not make NorCals next year, MacKay is out. If the so called big men transfers that are coming over for next season is true, then this is likely his last chance to bring the results the athletic department/alums are looking for when they brought him in to replace Barbour.

Positively thinking I feel Bryce Monroe will be the league player of the year and average about 25 a game. I dont see any way he doesnt add more wrinkles to his offensive game. I see him adding more weight and getting to the line alot more next year as well as up his assists by 2 more a game.

And better pray for a big man/men that can rebound because now that Oglesby is gone, there is no one on that bench that is going to fill that void. And please @Irish dont say Cheng is the answer.
No, I concur with all you said... Maybe students showing up at the games would help too. My class would have packed the place.

So this is Bryce Dad...I dont hide my name and I never post on this board . End of the season but let me say this cause I have read a lot on this site . First of all , my son is 16 years old. Not a hold back . We pay tuition for my son to attend Sacred Heart. He isn't on scholarship. You are absolutely correct about it being a team game. Bryce leads the teams in more than the scoring category, Assists is one of them.
There is a reason that when he is on the court he has been game planned against. They double teamed him the whole game yesterday and still finished with 28 points and 6 assists and 5 rebounds .
I am not going to make any excuses for the loss or coaching but you win some and you lose some. Please believe when I say , Bryce likes his coach at Sacred Heart but before you speak of place where you just don't know, get some facts. Bryce , EJ and Elijah have been sick all week but still came out and played hard. Coaches can lay the plan out but kids have to execute...but
Bryce could have went anywhere in the WCAL and still do what he does . Je'lani Clark and Bryce are like brothers , have played together since 5th grade. Jamal Baugh is Bryce uncle at St. Ignatius(assistant var coach). My oldest son was an all league football player at Serra(graduated in 2016).
That's all I will say about where he could play.
Bryce averaged 22 points in league, 23 points in Preseason and in two playoff games 28 points per game.
Good thing the 7 division college coaches that have offered Bryce recognizes his special talent as well as opposing coaches. First Team all WCAL as a sophomore. I am through venting but for anybody that want to speak on my child. Holler at his dad from now on.
He played great every time I saw him.

So this is Bryce Dad...I dont hide my name and I never post on this board . End of the season but let me say this cause I have read a lot on this site . First of all , my son is 16 years old. Not a hold back . We pay tuition for my son to attend Sacred Heart. He isn't on scholarship. You are absolutely correct about it being a team game. Bryce leads the teams in more than the scoring category, Assists is one of them.
There is a reason that when he is on the court he has been game planned against. They double teamed him the whole game yesterday and still finished with 28 points and 6 assists and 5 rebounds .
I am not going to make any excuses for the loss or coaching but you win some and you lose some. Please believe when I say , Bryce likes his coach at Sacred Heart but before you speak of place where you just don't know, get some facts. Bryce , EJ and Elijah have been sick all week but still came out and played hard. Coaches can lay the plan out but kids have to execute...but
Bryce could have went anywhere in the WCAL and still do what he does . Je'lani Clark and Bryce are like brothers , have played together since 5th grade. Jamal Baugh is Bryce uncle at St. Ignatius(assistant var coach). My oldest son was an all league football player at Serra(graduated in 2016).
That's all I will say about where he could play.
Bryce averaged 22 points in league, 23 points in Preseason and in two playoff games 28 points per game.
Good thing the 7 division college coaches that have offered Bryce recognizes his special talent as well as opposing coaches. First Team all WCAL as a sophomore. I am through venting but for anybody that want to speak on my child. Holler at his dad from now on.

Mr. Monroe, you have raised an outstanding child in Bryce. From an individual analysis, I havent seen/read anything/anyone criticizing Bryce's play. The kid flat out hoops and doesnt show up anyone. I see Bryce have a bounce to his step after nailing a 3. From what I've seen, the kid is class and a real leader. Thank you.

You point out a very important point in that the kids do show they like playing for MacKay. Reading teenagers team attitudes is as clear as glass. It was nice to finally see the SH kids actually enjoy playing for each other and their coach. However, sick or not, unfortunately the loss yesterday was a top to bottom disappointment. Can only hope next year will be the year SH puts it all together.

Lastly, we live in the superteam/super friends era. Lets get Jelani to come over to SH.

He played great every time I saw him.
He had some tough games. The second Riordan game was his worst game of 20 plus games . He does what the team needs. He took a beating , mentally and physically but kept moving forward for the team. Appreciate the achnowledgement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT