ADVERTISEMENT

Sheldon Devastated

Hey genius you know Salesian was ranked # 1 in NorCal right? It’s like you have to be this tall to ride this ride we need a limit on posting requirements.

Sheldon came in as the 2 seed.

Good call buddy! I am saying that I think you could make the case for up to as many as 10 teams in socal being better than both sheldon and salesian. I would assume you think sheldon is better than salesian, but maybe I am wrong? I am not talking about rankings and seeds. Because some computer formula tells me salesian is #1 in norcal doesn't mean I buy it. It's called critical thinking buddy!

Last edited:
ut Marceski is right in terms of population base. Its a numbers games.

If it was a strictly numbers game the city of San Jose should have the most talented basketball teams in northern california. The overall talent and quality of play in San Jose is underwhelming given the large population.

Reactions: BadBucks
Good call buddy! I am saying that I think you could make the case for up to as many as 10 teams in socal being better than both sheldon and salesian. I would assume you think sheldon is better than salesian, but maybe I am wrong? I am not talking about rankings and seeds. Because some computer formula tells me salesian is #1 in norcal doesn't mean I buy it. It's called critical thinking buddy!
Actually Cif ranked them 1. That’s why they had the bye and home game in the open division.

Actually Cif ranked them 1. That’s why they had the bye and home game in the open division.

So the exact some logic here would apply as with the computer formulas..... because some committee of old white dudes tells me a team is #1 doesn't mean I have to think that they are actually the best team.

You ever work with or know some really rich people? They are typically the cheapest bastards around. I wouldn't be surprised if Pippen or Martins kids are getting some "assistance" as a marketing token. There are 10 kids on the bench that pay everybody else is way. Same thing at all these prep schools and factories. Trust me your gut is right. Its a dirty game.

The father was nicknamed Scottie "No Tippin" Pippen for a reason. Larry, I'd like to believe that the majority of the famous celebs/athletes' children have taken their opportunities, continued to work and make a name for their own selves. I dont believe many are just sitting on a golden toilet, twiddling their thumbs or a better way of putting it "Born on 3rd base, thought they hit a triple".

I always root for Norcal when ever we play socal, but when Sacramento is in the mix I'm really all out. I was hopeful sheldon would win but knew it would be a tall task. The problem is In my opinion, Sacramento has lost its way. We haven't had a power 5 signee since 2016, and it shows. Kids that had opportunity to get better settled for just being the best In Sac. Some got exposed when competing at a national level whether with a team or as individuals. Bishop Montgomery beat woodcreek 2 years ago. JB 30 plus points to keep them in it. Monty had no one over 6'4-6'5, but those kids are contributors in college. 3 Staright Sacto teams in State open without 1 power 5 signee, when on the low end a so cal team will have multiple or a future NBA player. Huge difference. I will take it a step further, name your top teams for Norcal rep for open division and or power 5 players. Pretty sure the Rioardan kids, Bagley will be mentioned. Sheldon can be back, but has some work to do sometimes your best guy is not always your team leader. Not having Morgan hurt a little, but would not have a difference, good kid, wasn't dominant at PG and wasn't at Sheldon, just played with better kids, look for him to show major improvement 2nd year in college.
The father was nicknamed Scottie "No Tippin" Pippen for a reason. Larry, I'd like to believe that the majority of the famous celebs/athletes' children have taken their opportunities, continued to work and make a name for their own selves. I dont believe many are just sitting on a golden toilet, twiddling their thumbs or a better way of putting it "Born on 3rd base, thought they hit a triple".
Unless people have forgotten those Grant teams had to go Against Dominguez with Tyson Chandler, and Harvard Westlake with the Collins Twins. That task was daunting!!! And those Grant teams were insane!!!

I always root for Norcal when ever we play socal, but when Sacramento is in the mix I'm really all out. I was hopeful sheldon would win but knew it would be a tall task. The problem is In my opinion, Sacramento has lost its way. We haven't had a power 5 signee since 2016, and it shows. Kids that had opportunity to get better settled for just being the best In Sac. Some got exposed when competing at a national level whether with a team or as individuals. Bishop Montgomery beat woodcreek 2 years ago. JB 30 plus points to keep them in it. Monty had no one over 6'4-6'5, but those kids are contributors in college. 3 Staright Sacto teams in State open without 1 power 5 signee, when on the low end a so cal team will have multiple or a future NBA player. Huge difference. I will take it a step further, name your top teams for Norcal rep for open division and or power 5 players. Pretty sure the Rioardan kids, Bagley will be mentioned. Sheldon can be back, but has some work to do sometimes your best guy is not always your team leader. Not having Morgan hurt a little, but would not have a difference, good kid, wasn't dominant at PG and wasn't at Sheldon, just played with better kids, look for him to show major improvement 2nd year in college.

Unless people have forgotten those Grant teams had to go Against Dominguez with Tyson Chandler, and Harvard Westlake with the Collins Twins. That task was daunting!!! And those Grant teams were insane!!!

Excellent analysis the Pacers faced 3 veteran NBA bigs and Chandler is still active, Jarron Collins is an assistant coach with Golden State, and Jason made headlines for coming out and representing LGBT community. The Collins twins went back to back after winning first against Pacers who lead by 6 at halftime. Grant had no starter over 6-3. Arco had 13k in attendance for that matchup. Nice acknowledgment that gets buried by local prep maven know it all.

Yeah I know... Just not fair. But I still think the best team I've ever seen was Artesia HS in 2006 with James Harden, Derek Glasser, Renardo Sidney, Malik Story, and a cast of others. They went 33-1 and absolutely destroyed a very good St Mary's of Stockton team that had at least 2 D1 players themselves.

Harden was a MCD All American that year and 2 years later so was Sidney. Sidney at 6"10 was one of the most gifted players I've seen as a soph. He never improved and gained a ton of weight before fizzling out at Miss State. Glasser who was highly underrated is one of the all time best PG's to play at ASU. Story went on to play at Indiana before transferring to UNR but was originally a USC commit.

Stanley for SC and the Fresh kid could be future pro's. Stanley certainly looks the part and he plays within the game. I like that about him. He doesn't force action. Martin is an undersized 6"6 jumping jack. But he isn't very skilled outside of 10 feet. Yeah he dunks and is fun to watch but basketball wise it doesn't translate that well. Pippen is no scotty but I nice PG and will do fine in college.
crenshaw 92-96.... aint nobody tougher

Excellent analysis the Pacers faced 3 veteran NBA bigs and Chandler is still active, Jarron Collins is an assistant coach with Golden State, and Jason made headlines for coming out and representing LGBT community. The Collins twins went back to back after winning first against Pacers who lead by 6 at halftime. Grant had no starter over 6-3. Arco had 13k in attendance for that matchup. Nice acknowledgment that gets buried by local prep maven know it all.

I was there. Great game. Wasn't Jamel Pugh about 6"4 though? Maybe 6"5.

Nobody said anything about born on 3rd base. But when daddy is kenyon you don't think genetics play a role do ya? Maybe its not a triple but the wind is blowing out 30MPH to left and you get it up in the air.
Talking about money and many rich folks I know have deep pockets with short arms. There is a reason they are wealthy. The broke ones are the fools with the gold around there necks.

Reactions: Jaw Knee
If it was a strictly numbers game the city of San Jose should have the most talented basketball teams in northern california. The overall talent and quality of play in San Jose is underwhelming given the large population.

Wrong type of numbers. That was oversimplified. Don't even mess with SJ in badminton, Chess, Cricket, or a spelling bee though. Or national merit scholars. Most Tesla per capita?

Reactions: jordan24

Wrong type of numbers. That was oversimplified. Don't even mess with SJ in badminton, Chess, Cricket, or a spelling bee though. Or national merit scholars. Most Tesla per capita?

So the exact some logic here would apply as with the computer formulas..... because some committee of old white dudes tells me a team is #1 doesn't mean I have to think that they are actually the best team.

“Old white dudes”... what kind of racist garbage is that? Does it matter if it was old Asian or black men? Steak can we not tolerate blatant racist statements please.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood

Pugh played in 99 game against Dominguez and Tyson Chandler who was a frosh.

Geral Lowe was a SLOW 6'9' . Dosty was 6'6' , but Onterio played big that game. I really liked that grant team. It was just running into the socal buzz saw.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Geral Lowe was a SLOW 6'9' . Dosty was 6'6' , but Onterio played big that game. I really liked that grant team. It was just running into the socal buzz saw.

Here's wishing you great hoops
Correct that was the 99 NorCal champ Pacers with former NFLer Onterrio Smith playing well against Dominguez.

The 96 Pacers were lead by guards LaRon Bryant, Deonta Dorrough, and Ronnie Walton against the Collins twin towers.

DD One of the best and most respectable kids I ever encountered from Grant. Loved his game

they are really good in math, physics and engineering.. because of that population...

“Old white dudes”... what kind of racist garbage is that? Does it matter if it was old Asian or black men? Steak can we not tolerate blatant racist statements please.
what was racist about it? it actually is true. they are old and white.

Think about this... The worse player on the floor at times last night for SC is Scotty Pippen kid who is going to Vandy. The Fresh they brought off the bench is a human highlight film. The talent difference was so lopsided. Doesn't matter if it was Salesian, MC, or Sheldon. I was hoping for a better game but it became clear pretty fast that it was going to be a long night.

If you look at the SCAL Open Bracket there are literally 5-6 teams that are better than any team from the north. This was SC easiest game since round 1. Not a knock on Sheldon but a fact.

I was impressed about how much guys like Stanley and Martin have improved there games since last year. Stanley has a nice shot now and he obviously put in a lot of time in the gym. In today's game you have to be able to shoot. SC was almost taunting guys into shooting at times for Sheldon. At 6"2-6"3 you aren't going to be able to score at the rim against 6"9+ guys.

Campo stole the show this weekend. Streak you predicted it.
I so agree with this. It seemed Sheldon was reluctant to shoot from outside and kept driving to the rim, where they weren’t finishing their drives. It became clear to SC that certain players weren’t gonna shoot any further than five feet. That works when you are the big dog but not so much when you’re not. Unless they become better from the outside, they will face the same fate. Those kids from SC improved their overall games.

Am I the only person that has seen what Sierra Canyon added?

Everyone is Talking “Sheldon did this and should have done that” making back 2 back appearances is pretty impressive alone.

Sierra Canyon is ridiculously good. They can defend the perimeter better then any team in the state and if you drive kJ and the 7 footer are swiping with frank and Stanley hitting the glass, with pippen running the break. Didn’t matter what Sheldon or any other team in the state did. They are terrific.

They were excellent last year. Then add frank, 7 footer and possibly the best freshmen I have ever seen. You do what they want you to. Doesn’t matter who’s in front of them. Besides (montverde)

Reactions: coachlittle
“They were excellent last year. Then add frank, 7 footer and possibly the best freshmen I have ever seen. You do what they want you to. “

Wasn’t Frank on SC last year?

“They were excellent last year. Then add frank, 7 footer and possibly the best freshmen I have ever seen. You do what they want you to. “

Wasn’t Frank on SC last year?
My apologies, yes he was. However; I don’t believe he played in the state game last year. I could be wrong, but remember he missed a few last year towards the end of the season.

Agree, but its about demographics just as much as sheer numbers.

Reactions: MC415
Agree, but its about demographics just as much as sheer numbers.
If you know anything about Sierra Canyon is that they had tons of money before Pippen and Martin even got there, and it's not money from athletics. They have some big time donors and they want to win. Just look how all their other sports have begun to win championships.

Am I the only person that has seen what Sierra Canyon added?

Everyone is Talking “Sheldon did this and should have done that” making back 2 back appearances is pretty impressive alone.

Sierra Canyon is ridiculously good. They can defend the perimeter better then any team in the state and if you drive kJ and the 7 footer are swiping with frank and Stanley hitting the glass, with pippen running the break. Didn’t matter what Sheldon or any other team in the state did. They are terrific.

They were excellent last year. Then add frank, 7 footer and possibly the best freshmen I have ever seen. You do what they want you to. Doesn’t matter who’s in front of them. Besides (montverde)

I was trying to find a post to say what I was thinking, that maybe we don't need to talk about population and demographics - thanks. I was reading this thread and the other thread about Sac kids not working hard enough - and granted I am just a guy who watches hoops, I don't know anything about what happens at open gyms. But SC is the #1 team in the country according to Maxpreps - sometimes you just run into a buzzsaw.

So basketball is the only sport you follow da real? Wilcox and MA won football CIF championships this year. St. Francis and Milpitas the year before. Serra, another WCAL member, did too. This season St. Francis is ranked #11 in the nation in baseball. The WCAL with Bellarmine, Valley Christian, Mitty, and St. Francis always have national ranked teams as well. It’s known as the toughest and most talented league in the nation according to many. Bellarmine had one of the best soccer teams in California this year. Oh, as some have mentioned, the region is good in tennis, golf, chess, trivia, etc. too. Don’t even start with test scores, college admissions, and current and future CEOs—which at the end of the day is what really counts.

If you know anything about Sierra Canyon is that they had tons of money before Pippen and Martin even got there, and it's not money from athletics. They have some big time donors and they want to win. Just look how all their other sports have begun to win championships.
I was referring to San Jose and its population,not Sierra Canyon

Wilcox and MA won football CIF championships this year. St. Francis and Milpitas the year before. Serra, another WCAL member, did too.

The city of San Jose under produces athletes given its large population. (Serra is not in san jose). How many football division 1 signees did san jose produce this year? Last year? How many nfl draft picks did they have this year? Last year?

Imagine if long beach or Oakland had over 1 people in the city like san jose does.

Very interesting assessment regarding San Jose. One would figure San Jose State would be a player in attracting NorCal local talent in men and women's hoops as well as the gridiron.Setting athletes up to intern in so many local Tech firms as a future option upon graduation would be a lure. San Jose a D1 irrelevant despite being situated very nicely.

Very interesting assessment regarding San Jose. One would figure San Jose State would be a player in attracting NorCal local talent in men and women's hoops as well as the gridiron.Setting athletes up to intern in so many local Tech firms as a future option upon graduation would be a lure. San Jose a D1 irrelevant despite being situated very nicely.
I don't think many players are Compsci or EE majors

Reactions: da real
san jose st does not have the athletic facilites or the major conference to compete... as well as you cannot win with local talent because most of the local talent is asian or indian in san jose. zion, RJ, Coby, Nassir and denzel are all elite freshman this season and none of them are interested in a tech job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT