ADVERTISEMENT

SI looking for new head coach

Job has been posted since mid summer. S.I. historically likes to stay in house and person who works or teaches at school preferred. Stecher (sp) a good man, just difficult with that parent group. Between the Palm Springs fiasco and parental pressure, it was a good time to get out. He will continue on as a teacher at S.I.

Last edited:
Sorry, but this had nothing to do with the parents. The parent group is what tried to keep the kids together and hang in there for years with this "program". This was many years of parent groups trying to just hold it together. Palm Springs fiasco was a much more complex story. The program deserves better, it's just a shame it's so expensive to live here, that you can't find qualified coaches to take a job like this - that are teachers as well - it doesn't pay nearly enough and is a very big job.

Last edited:

What happened isn't as important as why frankly.

All can say and in talking with others, is it wasn't as egregious as some of the speculation out there, but school policy is crystal clear on this stuff, as it should be, and that was enforced. Mistakes all the way around were made, that's the net of it. It's the bigger point that is important for the kids/players going forward, which is why and how does this program improve.

I will just say that this group of players, over the last several years, have done everything they can to try to hold it together as have the parents supporting them. The players were grinning and bearing a program that really deserved better coaching skills, player development, and that worked to figure out how to get the most out of each player with feedback and communication, which never happened. It's sad in that this has been known for years. It's sad to see so many kids end their baseball careers upset and frustrated playing the game they love. It's sad even for those that advanced that they don't look back on this program with great memories, which is what it's supposed to be about after all. What isn't sad, but great, is the friendships we hear about with the players themselves. I'm just glad perhaps a fresh start can happen.

That said, as I said before, it's easy to want the best leadership you can find, but that is hard to get given how expensive it is to live here. So I'm not here to suggest there isn't a desire for the program to improve, there are just some hard realities, that in the end, cost kids/players who are just trying to get better and perhaps get recruited for College.

What happened isn't as important as why frankly.

All can say and in talking with others, is it wasn't as egregious as some of the speculation out there, but school policy is crystal clear on this stuff, as it should be, and that was enforced. Mistakes all the way around were made, that's the net of it. It's the bigger point that is important for the kids/players going forward, which is why and how does this program improve.

I will just say that this group of players, over the last several years, have done everything they can to try to hold it together as have the parents supporting them. The players were grinning and bearing a program that really deserved better coaching skills, player development, and that worked to figure out how to get the most out of each player with feedback and communication, which never happened. It's sad in that this has been known for years. It's sad to see so many kids end their baseball careers upset and frustrated playing the game they love. It's sad even for those that advanced that they don't look back on this program with great memories, which is what it's supposed to be about after all. What isn't sad, but great, is the friendships we hear about with the players themselves. I'm just glad perhaps a fresh start can happen.

That said, as I said before, it's easy to want the best leadership you can find, but that is hard to get given how expensive it is to live here. So I'm not here to suggest there isn't a desire for the program to improve, there are just some hard realities, that in the end, cost kids/players who are just trying to get better and perhaps get recruited for College.

Shame on SI if they have not already hired Jimmy Goethals. He's been the right guy for the job for years.

Details are always important. When Parents of Public schools, Private Schools and Club teams wrestle control from the coaches who know the sport they are coaching - it turns out 90 % BAD. Sadly this is your 4th message/post and had you been here more frequently you would see how ripe this forum is to educate and inform players and parents that intervention into sports by parents is frequently uncalled for and not needed. Varsity Baseball Coach Matt Stecher was a good choice when he was hired and he is even a better person. SI circled the wagons for too many years with the Tom King regime - OR - the next coach had to be associated with him. In Football I am almost positive that Steve Bluford was treated unfairly back in the day.

Example - https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/31/high-school-coaching-do-parents-have-too-much-power/

Example - and - the ultimate witch hunt https://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/6240668-181/srjc-baseball-coach-damon-neidlinger

Example: Another witch hunt: https://lavozdeanza.com/sports/2018...ll-coach-on-leave-after-forfeit-field-issues/

Last but not least - https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article20568330.html

Stecher is a good human being. A change perhaps is necessary. S.I. historically stays in house and favors coaches that are teachers at the school and/or work there. Goethals is an interesting option; was a passionate player for the Cats.

S.I. historically has bad luck on Easter break trips. Multiple year incidents during their SLO trips. The Palm Springs trip didn't help their chances going forward. I doubt S.I. baseball will be going on any overnights for another few years.

I know SHC, Riordan, Washington, Lowell, Lincoln and most recently Mission have made it through long-distance, overnight Easter break trips without incident.

According to S.I. website, the application deadline is today so should be decided my mid-September. Tough on new coach to set up non-league games. Most programs have already set their schedules.

Last edited:
Reactions: Where Are They Now
Stecher is a good human being. A change perhaps is necessary. S.I. historically stays in house and favors coaches that are teachers at the school and/or work there. Goethals is an interesting option; was a passionate player for the Cats.

S.I. historically has bad luck on Easter break trips. Multiple year incidents during their SLO trips. The Palm Springs trip didn't help their chances going forward. I doubt S.I. baseball will be going on any overnights for another few years.

I know SHC, Riordan, Washington, Lowell, Lincoln and most recently Mission have made it through long-distance, overnight Easter break trips without incident.

According to S.I. website, the application deadline is today so should be decided my mid-September. Tough on new coach to set up non-league games. Most programs have already set their schedules.

You mean the same school that did a self imposed prom night ban from hotels back in the 90s because one year a group of seniors decided it was a great idea to break a window from an upper floor and then push a piano out? Nooooooo! Cant be that school can it?

Interesting selection. Is he going to be a teacher at S.I? Most outside baseball coaches last 2-3 at St. Ignatius. "SF kids to SI? - how novel. Sounds like the pick secures their pipeline to Marin County. Going from running a program with one team to three teams will be daunting (who will be his assistance). If he works on campus, I give him a shot. A couple decent pitchers this year, but younger classes are challenged. Change-up sounds vested in the success of the program. Hope he is happy "for the kids". The fishbowl that is S.I. has spawned a new guppy. Good luck Coach Pollzzie; wish him the best. Coach Keating is holding judgement.

Last edited:
Interesting selection. Is he going to be a teacher at S.I? Most outside baseball coaches last 2-3 at St. Ignatius. "SF kids to SI? - how novel. Sounds like the pick secures their pipeline to Marin County. Going from running a program with one team to three teams will be daunting (who will be his assistance). If he works on campus, I give him a shot. A couple decent pitchers this year, but younger classes are challenged. Change-up sounds vested in the success of the program. Hope he is happy "for the kids". The fishbowl that is S.I. has spawned a new guppy. Good luck Coach Pollzzie. Coach Keating is holding judgement.

Real surprised that SI has deviated from their norm of hiring a current faculty member or alumnus. Well, coach Keating lived in Marin County maybe this guy will be as successful.

Reactions: CityVibesII
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT