ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week 3

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
Week 3

Last week had a few upsets but nothing I would say was super surprising, nice to see SLV get a win, and it looks like Greenfield is the top team in the south Salinas Valley (besides Palma 😉).

Greenfield and Palma are both 2-0, because they beat King City and Soledad. For the record, Palma and Greenfield should not be playing the same pre-season schedule. This weekend Palma finally has a game vs a “real” opponent as they take on Yuma Catholic. Let’s see if they get tested. Safe to say the Gabilan is down a little bit at the top this year as Salinas, Aptos and Hollister all took losses vs other “good but not great CCS programs”.

It is nice to see Harbor and Greenfield enjoying some early season success. But Santa Cruz appears to be in for a long season as they were shut out again, by a lot. Apparently, kids have left the program to play for neighboring Soquel which is in the same school district. Not sure what type of policy the district has but not looking good for Santa Cruz.

Last week 16-6 Overall 28-11

Gabilan

Thu 09/07 Salinas (CA) at Clovis (CA), 7:00pm -
Salinas’s tough non league schedule continues. This team is still trying to iron out things on offense and I still expect them to compete for a league title. Their Defense is very good, just taking the offense a bit of time to catch up. Salinas 14-10

Fri 09/08 Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Atascadero (CA), 5:00pm –
Nice win last week vs oak Grove, Atascadero is gong to be a bit tougher of a match up. Atascadero 24-14

Fri 09/08 Aptos (CA) at Mission Prep (San Luis Obispo, CA), 7:00pm
Mission Pre is one of those schools that is great some years and not so good other years. This may be one of those great years. Mission Prep 24-20

Fri 09/08 Yuma Catholic (Yuma, AZ) vs Palma (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm -
Finally Palma will play somebody on their level. Apparently, Gonzales already had a game. I know scheduling 3 non-league games is tough. But Palma can do better. Palma 35-34

Fri 09/08 Soquel (CA) at Santa Cruz (CA), 7:30pm -
Apparently this will be a homecoming game for a lot of the Soquel players. This one could get ugly really quick. Soquel 48-0

Fri 09/08 Hollister (CA) at Valley Christian (San Jose, CA), 7:00pm -
It’s Hollister’s turn to play Valley Christian, who beat Salinas last week. Because I still believe Salinas is better than Hollister, I have to go with the home team here. Valley Christian 21-12

Mission North

Thu 09/07 Sobrato (Morgan Hill, CA) at North Monterey County (Castroville, CA), 7:30pm –
NMC has been more competitive than I thought they would be, and they have lost to 2 good teams. If they play hard they should get their first W. North Monterey County 35-21

Fri 09/08 Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA) at Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA), 7:30pm
– I like this match up, should be one of the better games in the area. Rancho has played a bit tougher of a schedule so I am giving them the advantage. Rancho 21-20

Sat 09/09 Watsonville (CA) at Menlo (Atherton, CA), 2:00pm –
Watsonville got it’s first win last week, but this is not Pajaro. Not a good match up for the Cat’z. Menlo 45-14

Sat 09/09 San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 2:00pm
-Scotts Valley defense gave up some point last week to an average Willow Glenn team, meanwhile San Lorenzo Valley had a nice win vs Gunderson. Things get back to normal. Scott’s Valley 24-7

Sat 09/09 Greenfield (CA) at St. Francis (Watsonville, CA), 12:30pm -
Greenfield has beaten 2 of their 3 south county neighbors, they are the early surprise of the PCAL. St Francis held off a determined, feisty, valiant RLS team last week. I am going to pick the Bruins. Greenfield 24-17

Mission South

Thu 09/07 Alisal (Salinas, CA) at Sequoia (Redwood City, CA), 7:00pm
– Alisal has a couple nice wins, Sequoia mad the road trip to Hawaii for a win, then came back to get beat up pretty badly by Patterson. Giving the edge to the home team. Sequoia 20-18

Fri 09/08 Soledad (CA) at Branham (San Jose, CA), 7:00pm
-Soledad has not looked good this year, Branham beat a bad Cupertino team. Branham 28-16

Fri 09/08 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Gilroy (CA), 7:30pm
– North Salinas should have a good chance to go 3-0 vs their formal league rival. North Salinas 28-13

Fri 09/08 King City (CA) at Gonzales (CA), 7:30pm
-The battle of the megaphone. Monterey County’s oldest high school rivalry. This game should be scheduled at the end of the year. Neither team has looked very impressive this year. KC get the nod because they have played a bit tougher of a schedule. King City 13-12

Sat 09/09 Pacific Grove (CA) at Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA), 12:30pm-
Pacific Grove schedules easy so I have to pick them. I know they do this on purpose. PG 35-7

Santa Lucia

Fri 09/08 Saratoga (CA) at Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA), 7:00pm
– Harbor has outscored it’s opponents 110-6 in 1.5 games. That’s good no matter what type of schedule you have. Harbor 45-12

Sat 09/09 Marina (CA) at Lick (San Jose, CA), 3:00pm – I am picking marina, because according to CAL PRESP Lick has a -91.4. That is not good. Marina 32-6

Sat 09/09 Carmel (CA) at Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA), 2:00pm
-This game has a lot riding on it for me. I am an RLS alumna, while my 3 children all graduated from Carmel. Needles to say bragging rights are depended on this. What stinks is Carmel has seemed to find it old offensive mojo this year, while the defending Santa Lucia League Champions RLS Pirates, are in slight rebuild. Good thing that I don’t care about that and no way in heck am I picking Carmel. RLS 45-44 (No way RLS scores this many points😢)

Week 3

Gabilan

Thu 09/07 Salinas (CA) at Clovis (CA), 7:00pm -
Salinas’s tough non league schedule continues. This team is still trying to iron out things on offense and I still expect them to compete for a league title. Their Defense is very good, just taking the offense a bit of time to catch up. Salinas 14-10

Yes, Salinas' D has held the scores down, but some of that had something to do with the play calling of CVC and VC. I suspect Clovis may have the best offense among these three, but the weakest D. My heart says Salinas 21-20, but my head says Clovis 24-10. Playing teams from the top leagues of the CCS, NCS, and CS is a big deal. I hope it continues.

Fri 09/08 Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Atascadero (CA), 5:00pm – Nice win last week vs oak Grove, Atascadero is gong to be a bit tougher of a match up. Atascadero 24-14

Isn't that what you said about Oak Grove last week? But, yeah, I agree with you. That score sounds about right.

Fri 09/08 Aptos (CA) at Mission Prep (San Luis Obispo, CA), 7:00pm Mission Pre is one of those schools that is great some years and not so good other years. This may be one of those great years. Mission Prep 24-20

Aptos played Mitty really tough and I think it's going to pay off in this one. Mariners 28-20.

Fri 09/08 Yuma Catholic (Yuma, AZ) vs Palma (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm -Finally Palma will play somebody on their level. Apparently, Gonzales already had a game. I know scheduling 3 non-league games is tough. But Palma can do better. Palma 35-34

I watched one of Yuma Catholic's games and I would be surprised if Palma doesn't beat them by 14-18. They've got some skill position guys who can make big plays, but the QB is just ok. Chieftains 45-31.

Fri 09/08 Soquel (CA) at Santa Cruz (CA), 7:30pm - Apparently this will be a homecoming game for a lot of the Soquel players. This one could get ugly really quick. Soquel 48-0

It's kind of shocking how bad Santa Cruz is, but Soquel's play was very gritty against Los Gatos for 3 quarters. The Knights can pick their number in this one. I'll go with 52-0.

Fri 09/08 Hollister (CA) at Valley Christian (San Jose, CA), 7:00pm -It’s Hollister’s turn to play Valley Christian, who beat Salinas last week. Because I still believe Salinas is better than Hollister, I have to go with the home team here. Valley Christian 21-12

Hollister is not likely on either Wilcox's or Salinas' level, so I would not anticipate a similar score against VC. Warriors 24-7.

I will say this, though... the Cowboys, Mariners, and Haybalers will be very prepared once league play starts. Palma? Monterey? We'll see. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: RLS13
Yes, Salinas' D has held the scores down, but some of that had something to do with the play calling of CVC and VC. I suspect Clovis may have the best offense among these three, but the weakest D. My heart says Salinas 21-20, but my head says Clovis 24-10. Playing teams from the top leagues of the CCS, NCS, and CS is a big deal. I hope it continues.

Isn't that what you said about Oak Grove last week? But, yeah, I agree with you. That score sounds about right.

Aptos played Mitty really tough and I think it's going to pay off in this one. Mariners 28-20.

I watched one of Yuma Catholic's games and I would be surprised if Palma doesn't beat them by 14-18. They've got some skill position guys who can make big plays, but the QB is just ok. Chieftains 45-31.

It's kind of shocking how bad Santa Cruz is, but Soquel's play was very gritty against Los Gatos for 3 quarters. The Knights can pick their number in this one. I'll go with 52-0.

Hollister is not likely on either Wilcox's or Salinas' level, so I would not anticipate a similar score against VC. Warriors 24-7.

I will say this, though... the Cowboys, Mariners, and Haybalers will be very prepared once league play starts. Palma? Monterey? We'll see. 🤷‍♂️
Palma looks to be better than last season. Lines are more experienced and did their work in the weight room. Very strong on both sides. Palma also has lots of speed at skill positions and both RBs and of curse Soldate is play makers but also TE. QB also experienced and very good. Defense will need to step up but also more experience than last season. They blew it with the scheduling but looks like Yuma Catholic will be a good test...they are balanced on offense and have some talent. Maybe like a lower level WCAL team. I think their offense is going to click even more as the season progresses. They had bruising RB last year but this year they have very fast playmaker types that can also act as receivers. I read Yuma Catholic left early this week for CA and was practicing in Los Angeles today so will be driving up to Salinas tonight probably after practice.

Palma up by 14 over Yuma Catolic

Salinas is lacking a playmaker with injury to their athletic tall and fast Jr WR (6-2, 185) Emarcrus Turner. Jr RB Dayven Marquez is a playmaker and the QB Gonzales can throw the ball will but other WRs are more possession types that lack big play ability or speed to stretch the field like they had last season. The backup QB seemed to run the offense well so will be interesting if there are any changes. Cowboy defense is very good. Their lines and LB are very good. They should compete in league. Another end of season game against Palma.

Salinas up by 3 (24-21) over Clovis

Looks like Aptos doesn't have the defense against the pass and a little undersized on the defense. Mitty QB looks very good...mobile and throws well. Still looks like they could get the defense ironed out and probably #3.

Aptos up by 7 over Mission Prep

Monterey while not playing anyone lately looks like they could be a tough matchup for both Hollister and Aptos defenses. They may have tougher time stopping the Aptos offense so I put them at #4 and Monterey hasn't played anyone yet and will face Palma in its first league game.

Monterey up by 28 over MVC

Hollister will improve and I anticipate they will give Palma a tough time as they usually do. It doesn't matter how good either is. It's grudge match day.

Hollister loses by 21 to VC

Soquel over Santa Cruz by 35+

Alvarez loses by 21+ to Atascadero

Last edited:
RLS13- My 2 cents - I like Clovis to edge Salinas, Aptos to slip by Mission Prep, St. Francis to squeak by Greenfield, Alisal over Sequoia, Saratoga to nip Harbor and Carmel comfortably over RLS. N. County vs. Sobrato- really tough to call! Agree with the rest.

Last edited:
Quick update 0-3 on Thursday night's games. Thank god I stopped gambling on High School football;)

Big surprise was the Salinas score. That offense just is not clicking yet.

100% agree that Salinas, Hollister and Aptos will come into league play more prepared than Palma and Monterey. Monterey is just "re-building" its program so I will give them a pass on their soft preseason. But Palma, 35+ years of local domination and you only schedule one non PCAL game, very disappointing.

And yes I picked RLS, because I always do, but it would be a huge upset if they beat this Carmel team.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
After 3 weeks of play the Gabilan division is struggling. They have 0 significant wins. Salinas really misses their QB, 2 WR and Inside backer from last year. Palma beat 2 weak teams and then is shut out by Yuma. I watched Aptos get beat last night by a Mission Prep team that suited up only 21 players and Hollister with their massive enrollment and veteran staff has one win against a weak Oak Grove. Is it Monterey's time to step up- they haven't played anyone yet- but they have some guys who can play. Depth is their concern. What does everyone think?

Last edited:
Quick update 0-3 on Thursday night's games. Thank god I stopped gambling on High School football;)

Big surprise was the Salinas score. That offense just is not clicking yet.

100% agree that Salinas, Hollister and Aptos will come into league play more prepared than Palma and Monterey. Monterey is just "re-building" its program so I will give them a pass on their soft preseason. But Palma, 35+ years of local domination and you only schedule one non PCAL game, very disappointing.

And yes I picked RLS, because I always do, but it would be a huge upset if they beat this Carmel team.
New offensive coordinator may be one of the issues

Agree Palma schedule hurt them. Yuma Catholic is about as good as or better than any team they face in league. Palma play calling was terrible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT