ADVERTISEMENT

SJS Playoff Brackets

Yes I think they could sell it similar to NCS where no lower divisions teams can get pulled up. Playoffs would work out something like this for a school like Vanden:

- Good chance to win section and then be D1 in NorCal. Also a chance they get upset and don't make NorCals at all.

- Low chance to win sections (at least this year), but automatic NorCal berth still in D1. No chance they miss NorCals.

Boils down to what those high end D2/D3 schools want in terms of postseason

Reactions: 11BDad
Curious how they came to the Woodcreek/Whitney decision in D2 considering they have the exact same strength rating?

Curious how they came to the Woodcreek/Whitney decision in D2 considering they have the exact same strength rating?
I didn't see this coming either in my previous predictions. However, in my humble opinion, Whitney's 15-11 overall record (3rd place league) bested Woodcreek's 23-4 overall record (2nd place league), all because Whitney is in the all-powerful Sierra Foothill League, while Woodcreek is in the Capital Valley Conference league. The SFL always gets preferential treatment.

I didn't see this coming either in my previous predictions. However, in my humble opinion, Whitney's 15-11 overall record (3rd place league) bested Woodcreek's 23-4 overall record (2nd place league), all because Whitney is in the all-powerful Sierra Foothill League, while Woodcreek is in the Capital Valley Conference league. The SFL always gets preferential treatment.
Well, I suppose. But Woodcreek beat 2 of the 3 SFL teams Whitney beat (DO/GB) and certainly beats Rocklin too. 7 loss difference seems like an awful lot.

Well, I suppose. But Woodcreek beat 2 of the 3 SFL teams Whitney beat (DO/GB) and certainly beats Rocklin too. 7 loss difference seems like an awful lot.
i thought this was straightforward. Whitney goes 24-3 with Woodcreek's schedule.... They have common opponent Chico, whitney won, WC lost.

whitney beat vista, lincoln stockton, in addition to chico, and played a way tougher schedule.

woodcreek beat an overrated pondo, and nobody else.

i thought this was straightforward. Whitney goes 24-3 with Woodcreek's schedule.... They have common opponent Chico, whitney won, WC lost.

whitney beat vista, lincoln stockton, in addition to chico, and played a way tougher schedule.

woodcreek beat an overrated pondo, and nobody else.
What you are saying is fair, but for context, Pondo is rated ahead of Lincoln no matter what you think of them. So is Calaveras whi WC beat. Vista is a nice win, but Whitney lost to them as well. Chico was down 13 to WC in the 4th and probably loses 8 of 10 to them, but you are right about the common opponent mattering.

Last edited:
SJS didn’t want to do any work to create their brackets. They just went by MaxPreps rankings. And Whitney is ahead of Woodcreek in MaxPreps.

MaxPreps uses computer algorithms in generating rankings, giving certain leagues a higher (but unknown) preset, predetermined league strength rating. The Sierra Foothill League receives a high league strength rating in MaxPreps computer algorithm. That's why every single school in the SFL is playing in the SJS post-season playoffs, including last (6th) place Granite Bay who went 0-10 in league play. You can verify yourself that every SFL team is playing this week in SJS post-season playoffs by clicking on the schools schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ncalcat
MaxPreps uses computer algorithms in generating rankings, giving certain leagues a higher (but unknown) preset, predetermined league strength rating. The Sierra Foothill League receives a high league strength rating in MaxPreps computer algorithm. That's why every single school in the SFL is playing in the SJS post-season playoffs, including last (6th) place Granite Bay who went 0-10 in league play. You can verify yourself that every SFL team is playing this week in SJS post-season playoffs by clicking on the schools schedule.
Sheesh, good point, that's wild.

SJS didn’t want to do any work to create their brackets. They just went by MaxPreps rankings. And Whitney is ahead of Woodcreek in MaxPreps.
maybe they are ahead because they have the better resume.

all of this sfl bias talk... look, it's ridiculous GB and rocklin got in... but i don't think that applies here. If WC played whitney's schedule, they would not be 23-4.

antelope (which WC lost to twice, so say WC played folsom instead.. loss)
Vista twice (which whitney split)
Lincoln Stockton
Colfax
Chico (common opponent, WC lost, Whitney won)
McClatchy
San Ramon Valley

plus folsom and oak ridge twice

Woodcreek?
Pondo
Calavares, a D4 team

and complain about league bias all you want... Whitney's league is better than Woodcreek's... and WC is in a 7 team league, so 2 more softballs for them vs Whitney.

to me, these look like very similar teams... Whitney gets the higher seed because they beat vista, beat a common opponent, and played the tougher nonleague schedule.

maybe they are ahead because they have the better resume.

all of this sfl bias talk... look, it's ridiculous GB and rocklin got in... but i don't think that applies here. If WC played whitney's schedule, they would not be 23-4.

antelope (which WC lost to twice, so say WC played folsom instead.. loss)
Vista twice (which whitney split)
Lincoln Stockton
Colfax
Chico (common opponent, WC lost, Whitney won)
McClatchy
San Ramon Valley

plus folsom and oak ridge twice

Woodcreek?
Pondo
Calavares, a D4 team

and complain about league bias all you want... Whitney's league is better than Woodcreek's... and WC is in a 7 team league, so 2 more softballs for them vs Whitney.

to me, these look like very similar teams... Whitney gets the higher seed because they beat vista, beat a common opponent, and played the tougher nonleague schedule.
I’m not saying which team deserves to be the higher seed, but it’s very clear that the reason they were seeded higher is because the SJS didn’t even have a discussion about which team was more deserving. Across the board they just used MaxPreps rankings to determine seeding.

I’m not saying which team deserves to be the higher seed, but it’s very clear that the reason they were seeded higher is because the SJS didn’t even have a discussion about which team was more deserving. Across the board they just used MaxPreps rankings to determine seeding.
now you are just talking nonsense.

how is it 'very clear'? were you in the room?

Cosumnes Oaks is ranked higher than Grant.. .yet Grant got the 6 seed over CO's 7. Why? most likely, Grant has 2 wins over Kennedy, which CO lost to. Similar teams, similar resume... Grant was actually 0-2 vs the Delta, which CO finished 2nd place.... I think that Kennedy outcome gave Grant the edge, and neither school had a good win.

but it's so clear they had no discussions.... :rolleyes:

now you are just talking nonsense.

how is it 'very clear'? were you in the room?

Cosumnes Oaks is ranked higher than Grant.. .yet Grant got the 6 seed over CO's 7. Why? most likely, Grant has 2 wins over Kennedy, which CO lost to. Similar teams, similar resume... Grant was actually 0-2 vs the Delta, which CO finished 2nd place.... I think that Kennedy outcome gave Grant the edge, and neither school had a good win.

but it's so clear they had no discussions.... :rolleyes:
Well on the selection show that was streaming they did say the discussion was between Whitney and Vista for the 2 seed. Either they misspoke or pretty wild if true.

Not sure Whitney wouldn't rather trade seeds at this point. They get a sneaky good Grant team who with a mid season transfer is probably better than their record. WC gets DO whom I'm sure Whitney is familiar with.

Interesting detail on the SJS D1 Folsom vs. McClatchy game as reported in today's Sac Bee Sports. McClatchy played a real good, close game losing only by 5 points, 57-52. Perhaps better and closer than most people thought, compared to all the other SJS semi-final games. McClatchy's Nina Cain fouled out of the game with just under five minutes left (half-way through the 4th Q).
Source: Sac Bee Sports, 2-23-2023;
"There was a big crowd, full on the home side, everyone on the edge of their seats or standing. The game did not disappoint. In winning its 17th consecutive game, Folsom beat McClatchy 57-52 in a thriller, pulling away down the stretch to move to 25-2 and into Saturday’s 6 p.m. championship showdown with storied St. Mary’s at Golden 1 Center. Mafua, Folsom’s 6-foot-3 junior post, scored eight of her 19 points in the fourth quarter to offset 23 points from McClatchy guard Tamaria Rumph. McClatchy star 6-2 forward Nina Cain had nine points and 11 rebounds, but she fouled out with just under five minutes remaining."

Reactions: Streak One
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT