ADVERTISEMENT

SJS Playoff Brackets

Can anyone tell me how Mariposa made it into the 72 team brackets for the SJS when they only had 5 wins and 45 opponent wins? They were 4th in their league. I think Vacaville had 57 opponent wins. What gives? I don't get this!!! Escalon had better opponent wins as well.

Last edited:
Mariposa was awarded a forfeit win against Minarets. They were supposed to play the week of the fire down there but the game got cancelled. Mariposa was trying to reschedule the game but Minarets wasn't interested. That is their 6th win.

Napa was done dirty. No way they should have been the #4 seed with a 10-0 record. How in the hell is Oak Ridge rated higher than them with a 8-2 record is just WROOOOONG!!!!

Should Wood win..it is gonna be doozy facing Grant (whom they always face in the Playoffs, but do not emerge as the victor). If they face Granite Bay another doozy game!

PGownsWhitney,

My guess on the OR # 3 seed vs Napa.

Oak Ridge (#412) top three wins against:
#325 Rocklin
#748 Del Oro
#902 Granite Bay

Napa (#490) top three wins against:
#727 Wood
#1118 Campolindo
#1918 Pitman

Oak Ridge's opponents record is 60-41 with a SOS of 33.6
Napa's opponents record is 50-50 with a SOS of 12.6

Oak Ridge lost to #58 Folsom and #329 Reed, NV. Both are 10-0.

Oak Ridge (8-2) vs. Napa (10-0) with the above info is probably why OR is ahead of Napa in the seedings.

PGownsWhitney,

My guess on the OR # 3 seed vs Napa.

Oak Ridge (#412) top three wins against:
#325 Rocklin
#748 Del Oro
#902 Granite Bay

Napa (#490) top three wins against:
#727 Wood
#1118 Campolindo
#1918 Pitman

Oak Ridge's opponents record is 60-41 with a SOS of 33.6
Napa's opponents record is 50-50 with a SOS of 12.6

Oak Ridge lost to #58 Folsom and #329 Reed, NV. Both are 10-0.

Oak Ridge (8-2) vs. Napa (10-0) with the above info is probably why OR is ahead of Napa in the seedings.
Not a bad thing to go by but going undefeated has to mean something. Doesn't make sense to me that an undefeated team gets trumped by a team with two 'L's". I wouldn't have much of a problem had OR beaten Reed and finished the season at 9-1 with their only lost coming to Folsom. Those ratings are nothing more than numbers on a piece of paper to me. Until they play each other in a game I have to side with the team with that went undefeated when seeding teams. Nothing wrong with making Oak Ridge the #4 seed. Is this something we can agree on?

Not a bad thing to go by but going undefeated has to mean something. Doesn't make sense to me that an undefeated team gets trumped by a team with two 'L's". I wouldn't have much of a problem had OR beaten Reed and finished the season at 9-1 with their only lost coming to Folsom. Those ratings are nothing more than numbers on a piece of paper to me. Until they play each other in a game I have to side with the team with that went undefeated when seeding teams. Nothing wrong with making Oak Ridge the #4 seed. Is this something we can agree on?

Does it really matter being a 4 or a 3 seed? To win the section you will have to play the games and win anyway. Wherever you are seeded.

Does it really matter being a 4 or a 3 seed? To win the section you will have to play the games and win anyway. Wherever you are seeded.
I'll put on a coaches hat to answer this. Yes it does matter. First of all, a four seed has a tougher route to become champion than a three seed. A four seed may possibly have to defeat a five seed and one seed to reach the championship game. Whereas the three seed toughest challenge comes from the six seed and two seed. I don't know about other coaches but I would rather face a six and two seed. With all that being said, injuries could play a big factor in the later rounds of the playoffs. The four seed would play the one seed Folsom team in round 3 while the three seed would face Folsom in the championship round 4. If Folsom has a significant season ending injury to one of their best player(s) in round 3 guess who benefits from that if Folsom plays in round 4? Bingo the 3 seed would benefit from that injury. So the answer to you question does it matter if you're a 4 or a 3 seed is hell yeah it matters. I'd be shocked if Napa head coach Mott or any coach would disagree with this best case scenario logic.

Pretty simple, if you want a higher seed, play a tougher schedule. You dont want to reward teams to play a soft schedule to get a high seed, do you?

Pretty simple, if you want a higher seed, play a tougher schedule. You dont want to reward teams to play a soft schedule to get a high seed, do you?
Now that makes no sense. If you think Oak Ridge pre-season schedule was tough I have some swamp land in the middle of the sahara desert to sell ya. Whitney, Burbank, Vacaville and Reed are no stronger than Pittman or Campo. Napa at 10-0 deserved the #3 seed and Oak Ridge should have been the #4 seed. I guess the selection committee are hoping to see a rematch between OR and Folsom.

The actual seed is overrated for me. It is all how the bracket sets up and how your style fits against those opponents. You want as many home games as possible (so at least a top four seed). From there, you want to stay away from teams that are good at your weaknesses.

In the case of Napa, if they were a three seed then they would likely get Elk Grove in the semis and Folsom in the finals. As a four seed, they have to get Folsom in the semis and Elk Grove in the finals if things go according to plan. No difference in the end.

The actual seed is overrated for me. It is all how the bracket sets up and how your style fits against those opponents. You want as many home games as possible (so at least a top four seed). From there, you want to stay away from teams that are good at your weaknesses.

In the case of Napa, if they were a three seed then they would likely get Elk Grove in the semis and Folsom in the finals. As a four seed, they have to get Folsom in the semis and Elk Grove in the finals if things go according to plan. No difference in the end.
The fourth round game or championship game could be a difference if a significant injury occurred in the semi-final game. For example, if Folsom won their semi-final game against the 4th seed team but lost their QB in the process for a reason that'll stop him from participating in the championship game. Guess who benefits from this unfortunate situation. Not the fourth seed team that lost but the number three seed team if they were to knock off the number two seed. So basically, Napa is at a bigger disadvantage than Oak Ridge because they're the four seed instead of the three seed. This stuff happens all the time so it's possible.

PG SHHHHH.. your not even sounding logical right now. By your same logic then it must be a travesty that an 8-2 Kennedy cougars is the 16 seed right. They are there because " THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE." Also if you think that OR non league Whitney(6-4) .Burbank (6-4), REED (11-0) and Vacaville (5-5) are no different than Napa non league of Montgomery(2-8) Casa Grande 4-6 Pittman 6-4 and Campo 9-1, then maybe I'm giving you to much cred.

Also Napa beat Vacaville 28-21 while Oak Ridge won 43-14.
Reed will be playing for their 7th state championship in a row.

Records can sometimes be misleading if the team hasn't played anyone. Not saying Napa hasn't played anyone, but I don't think there is a dispute in SOS between the two schools. In a more extreme case in D3 you have Patterson at 10-0 as the 4th seed. At this point I think a 4th seed is generous for them. They have not been tested at all this year. I can see them potentially get thru the first two rounds and than out. But since they have not been tested they could make an even earlier exit or surprise us all and go further. This is the problem with having a weak schedule. Sometimes records are given too much emphasis. For example I would bet a million dollars (If I had it lol) that a 4-6 Del-Oro would easily have their way with a 10-0 Patterson.

Nascar well said. but PG eluded to the idea that Oak ridge and Napa non league games were the same

I love the D2 bracket. There will be some really fun games, with some great storylines:
(projected) Grant vs. Granite Bay: Grant will have no easy time with the #9 seed. Granite Bay could steal this one!
Del Oro: I can very easily see DO playing in the semis
(projected) Antelope vs Rocklin: I'd give the edge to Rocklin, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the QB for Antelope.
Sacramento vs. McNair: should be a wild shootout.

Can Grant regroup/focus and take charge? If not, I see Rocklin winning, but I'd really like to see a team like Antelope or Wood make some noise.
Each year the SFL teams blow through to the semis -- it would be interesting to see some other teams do well

PG SHHHHH.. your not even sounding logical right now. By your same logic then it must be a travesty that an 8-2 Kennedy cougars is the 16 seed right. They are there because " THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE." Also if you think that OR non league Whitney(6-4) .Burbank (6-4), REED (11-0) and Vacaville (5-5) are no different than Napa non league of Montgomery(2-8) Casa Grande 4-6 Pittman 6-4 and Campo 9-1, then maybe I'm giving you to much cred.

Also Napa beat Vacaville 28-21 while Oak Ridge won 43-14.
Reed will be playing for their 7th state championship in a row.
You could be slightly right in regards to the SOS but that doesn't mean OR is better than Napa on any given Friday night. We don't know until the game is played between those two. All I'm saying is that Napa deserved to be the #3 seed based on their undefeated season and Oak Ridge's two lose season. Now had OR beaten Reed like they were suppose to we wouldn't be having this debate. OR would have been a great 8-2 four seed in my opinion.

You could be slightly right in regards to the SOS but that doesn't mean OR is better than Napa on any given Friday night. We don't know until the game is played between those two. All I'm saying is that Napa deserved to be the #3 seed based on their undefeated season and Oak Ridge's two lose season. Now had OR beaten Reed like they were suppose to we wouldn't be having this debate. OR would have been a great 8-2 four seed in my opinion.
Congrats to undefeated Napa. Most likely Napa won't get by St.Marys of Stockton in the 2nd round. OR is higher rated in state, national and SOS.

Reactions: DelOroFB_Dad
Could the Selection Committee be favoring the SFL & Delta Leagues to represent the SJS for Regional Games?

The fourth round game or championship game could be a difference if a significant injury occurred in the semi-final game. For example, if Folsom won their semi-final game against the 4th seed team but lost their QB in the process for a reason that'll stop him from participating in the championship game. Guess who benefits from this unfortunate situation. Not the fourth seed team that lost but the number three seed team if they were to knock off the number two seed. So basically, Napa is at a bigger disadvantage than Oak Ridge because they're the four seed instead of the three seed. This stuff happens all the time so it's possible.
Under your logic that there could be an injury which will upset teams outcomes or final standings it could happen to ANY TEAM so it really doesn't make sense. If I were a coach, I would use the seeding as motivation for my Team as I think Mott will do. The bottom line is you have to beat the best to take home section championship regardless of where your seeded. Also as streak one said sometimes its not about which team is "better" but how your own team matches up against any given opponent. Napa has shown some versatility and beat 2 good spread teams as well as 2 good ground and pound teams so I think they should make a deep run. On the flip side of that same coin OR has played well against both as well so they should also make a deep run. should be some good football to be seen in the next few weeks!

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
Should Wood win..it is gonna be doozy facing Grant (whom they always face in the Playoffs, but do not emerge as the victor). If they face Granite Bay another doozy game!
Wood hasn't faced Grant for a LOOOONG time I don't even recall when. They were knocked out by Elk Grove last year after beating Burbank, and knocked out by Burbank the previous year I believe. Wood has a very limited playoff history. They look to make history this season in the playoffs. You must be thinking Vacaville they were knocked out by Grant last season

OR is better than Napa. OR will beat Napa. Keep in mind- OR is probably the 3rd best team in the SFL if not lower.

RodneyPete45,

"Keep in mind- OR is probably the 3rd best team in the SFL if not lower."

OR went 5-1 in the SFL this year, which puts them at 2nd best team.

Wood hasn't faced Grant for a LOOOONG time I don't even recall when. They were knocked out by Elk Grove last year after beating Burbank, and knocked out by Burbank the previous year I believe. Wood has a very limited playoff history. They look to make history this season in the playoffs. You must be thinking Vacaville they were knocked out by Grant last season

Wood faced Grant in the first round of 2011 playoffs and lost.

Reactions: Polemic
According to Calprep Freeman Ratings Oakridge has 28 toughest strength of schedule in state with a 33.6 rating. Napa with an astounding 12.6 has 92 toughest of top 100

According to Calprep Freeman Ratings Oakridge has 28 toughest strength of schedule in state with a 33.6 rating. Napa with an astounding 12.6 has 92 toughest of top 100
My point exactly. I don't think Napa can compete with OR on that level.

OR by 2 TDs

My point exactly. I don't think Napa can compete with OR on that level.

OR by 2 TDs
Hey Rodney! Break down Napa's Offense and Defense. You must have seen them play this year with such an assured prediction. As for St. Mary's in the second round - they are 0 for 2 against the Indians in the Play-offs.

PG look no further than the North Section D3 playoffs. Lassen at 6-4 got the #1 seed over a 9-1 Orland team. All sections are putting weight on strength of schedule. And this is one of the reasons I am in favor of the new state playoffs. No more voting in to participate in the tourney. Win your section and your in. At the section seeding level there is still a human element involved where choices are had to be made not making everyone happy all of the time

PG look no further than the North Section D3 playoffs. Lassen at 6-4 got the #1 seed over a 9-1 Orland team. All sections are putting weight on strength of schedule. And this is one of the reasons I am in favor of the new state playoffs. No more voting in to participate in the tourney. Win your section and your in. At the section seeding level there is still a human element involved where choices are had to be made not making everyone happy all of the time
Don't no much about the Northern section so I'm asking you is that a fair assessment to put Lassen in front of Orland like that? I thought Orland had a good team this year.

Hey Rodney! Break down Napa's Offense and Defense. You must have seen them play this year with such an assured prediction. As for St. Mary's in the second round - they are 0 for 2 against the Indians in the Play-offs.
I will tell you why my prediction will prevail- Napa barely beat a Vacaville team that played two SFL teams this year. Both times Vacaville played OR and GB, they were blown out. What makes you think Napa has a chance against OR? Judging from common opponents, this game should be a fairly easy win for OR.

Don't no much about the Northern section so I'm asking you is that a fair assessment to put Lassen in front of Orland like that? I thought Orland had a good team this year.
Again PG it came down to who they played. Record wise yes they were the best team. However they just did not play anyone but Fortuna whom they lost to and Sutter which came down to the 4th quarter tied and they pulled it out. They made a couple more plays than Sutter did this year plain and simple. I have heard that they have put Bear River on the schedule next season. But that doesn't help them this season. Lassen beat EC, and West Valley the second ranked team in the D3 NS. Their wins are better however I must say if I was an Orland fan or player I would be a little peaved as well. The North Section D3 is Wide open this year. We shall see

I will tell you why my prediction will prevail- Napa barely beat a Vacaville team that played two SFL teams this year. Both times Vacaville played OR and GB, they were blown out. What makes you think Napa has a chance against OR? Judging from common opponents, this game should be a fairly easy win for OR.

OK Mr. Pete. Still a lot of football before we break down that game. Good teams do (sometimes) play close games against their Rivals. The true test is if they can come back and win. Napa handled Wood fairly easily and they blew out Vaca - it happens.

OK Mr. Pete. Still a lot of football before we break down that game. Good teams do (sometimes) play close games against their Rivals. The true test is if they can come back and win. Napa handled Wood fairly easily and they blew out Vaca - it happens.
Agreed. Lots more football to go. I just have a hard time believing that they can beat one of the SFL teams. That league is no joke.

Mr. Pete,

Your own logic sometimes goes against your statements. You state that Napa would have a hard time beating just one of the SFL teams. You should note that Napa cannot control the league it is in. Maybe the league will be better with the next realignment. Perhaps that will change up its strength of schedule. Napa faced and defeated two 9-1 teams in Campolindo and Wood. Napa and Vacaville is always for the league championship, thus you can throw that game out the window on any given year. If you are looking at SOS, you also have to look at the ratings, as that is what they are based upon. Napa, based upon ratings would defeat Del Oro, Granite Bay, Woodcreek, and Nevada Union. Napa has a rating of 44.5.

It is hard to use comparables such as OR or Granite Bay vs. Vacaville, as they were at completely different times of the year. The Vacaville team had essentially four weeks to prepare for Napa, as they played Berkley, Rodriguez, and Armijo in the weeks prior.

I don't think you've seen Napa play. BTW, I too had OR as the #3 seed. I believe they purposedly put OR on the opposite side of the bracket from Folsom who is in their same league.

Outcomes of most first round pairings are obvious - Elk Grove over Gregori, Folsom over Kennedy, Napa over PG, Grant over Beyer, St. Mary's over Stagg, Wood over AC.....it's those 2nd rounds that will be fun to watch. Gonna be hard to decide which one to go see - leaning toward Napa/St. Mary's or Rocklin/DC.

Championship Picks

Division I: Folsom
Division II: Grant
Division III: Central Catholic
Division IV: Sierra
Division V: Capital Christian
Division VI: Hilmar

Reactions: RunningRon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT