ADVERTISEMENT

Some Irish history

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
This evening in San Francisco, Serra, the No.1 prep football team in Northern California (and in the midst of its best three-season run in school history), will visit Kezar Stadium for a WCAL contest with Sacred Heart Cathedral. The Irish are currently winless. They have a very difficult assignment tonight. That's not unusual for them. SHC is not blessed with a gaudy resume' of football excellence. In its long history, the inner-city school, located not far from the Tenderloin, has won a grand total of one regular-season league title (in the AAA in 1957 when it did so and then lost in the league's playoffs). The Irish, which have very limited on-campus football facilities, have never threatened to grab a WCAL crown after leaving the AAA late in the 1960s, following (rather reluctantly, by the way) St. Ignatius into the re-formed, re-energized and re-named CAL. The Irish, who have had some notable success outside the WCAL in the equity-based CIF playoff format in recent years, deserve some real credit for hanging in there in a league regarded as one of NorCal's most competitive. It hasn't been easy for them. But they persist. Good for them.

Last edited:
sacred heart is inner-city? do they not have inner-city students attending or is it just located in the 'inner-city' for tax purposes?

I expect Serra to pull its starters by halftime. I believe maybe two years ago in this very same game I think they lost either it was their starting QB or starting RB to a season-ending injury. The only thing SH can do in this one is perhaps cut a handful of highlights for some of their players for their Hudl pages vs top competition.

Pretty much all schools are in a city, if you think about it
Dookiepoop. Perhaps the best moniker ever. That includes that of the prattling pasty person who, apparently, has gone into Mother Superior's detention abyss on a permanent basis. Dookiepoop. Loving it.

Dookiepoop. Perhaps the best moniker ever. That includes that of the prattling pasty person who, apparently, has gone into Mother Superior's detention abyss on a permanent basis. Dookiepoop. Loving it.
The ignore feature on this site is a wonderful thing. I use it and love it.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT