ADVERTISEMENT

St Joseph alameda season in limbo

Scores were pretty ugly last year, opposition scoring...league games, 16, 9, 12, 34, 12, 18 and 18....Head Royce scored the 34. Not sure what was expected of this year's team? Was Julianne working to get some transfers to Bentley, HR, Redwood Christian? Or were the Mastora sisters and Lepolo sisters not expected back? Why was norhing done last spring?

For an argument to result in a resignation, it had to be dirty. In addition for Coach to quit in what is Malia's last year, there must have been a lot of damaging things said.

Sad situation for everyone, the families, the players and coaches who have all invested so much into the program.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01...mbo-for-bay-area-girls-basketball-powerhouse/

if one of those schools were smart and wanted to win.. bently, head royce, redwood christ... they would be intagraming, twittering, texting, calling and sending coach hip there blank checks to get him hired at their schools and turn their fortunes around!

if one of those schools were smart and wanted to win.. bently, head royce, redwood christ... they would be intagraming, twittering, texting, calling and sending coach hip there blank checks to get him hired at their schools and turn their fortunes around!

Those schools (head royce excluded) want their cake and eat it too. High caliber students and if they can play basketball, that's okay. Head Royce and university are the only teams in the BCL with any consistent state level experience. I would feel bad for ANY coach who wanted to take over at one of these schools. Ask Clay, he was at Bentley twice..im sure he could shed some light on the independent school culture at most of the BCL schools.

I wonder if it was more SJND reacting to a call from CP or SJND just overreacting to hearing what the score was? Cause shame on CP if they called and complained...admin from every school in that league should know better...SHOUD.

Reactions: GBBall4L

You and I haven't agreed on things lately but we see eye to eye on this one. I bet all the underclass girls would be in the "Transfer Portal" as soon as Coach Hipol touched down.

She did not exactly "leave" SI for SJND.

Let's just say she got the old "we are going in a different direction speech" at SI and then.landed at St. Joes as the coach. Both her and Lippi were given the exact same speech around the same time. Both of them then ended up at SJND.

The issue at any private school is how important athletic success, and then specifically girls' basketball, is to the administration. Tuition at Bentley, Head-Royce, College Prep, Athenian, etc., is close to $40,000 a year, or more, and unless the administration is creative, it's very difficult for a lot of families to afford that tuition.

I know I worked very hard to try and build the program at Bentley, but top players who were interested (at least at some level) just didn't want to pay that much money for high school.

Catholic schools are generally much more affordable, and that helps, but another key factor for private school success is the quality of public schools in the area. The worse the public schools, the easier it is for parents to justify paying tuition; if the public schools are good, then there's less of a sense of urgency to go the private route.

Reactions: GBBall4L
1st league game after coaching change....Pilots 66-3, 42-0 at the half.

Just to increase the degree of difficulty, this was the girls 2nd....yes 2nd game of the day. They started the day in Stockton with a loss against Centenniel, game started at 11:30. 2nd game started at 5 in Alameda.

Last edited:

Just to increase the degree of difficulty, this was the girls 2nd....yes 2nd game of the day. They started the day in Stockton with a loss against Centenniel, game started at 11:30. 2nd game started at 5 in Alameda.

And the 66-3 score was against a different team (Bentley) than the 87-3 (College Prep) and 91-4 Redwood Christian) games.

They face La Jolla Country Day tomorrow at the BOD MLK event, so there will be no shortage of competition there.

Note that Bentley only lost to Las Lomas, a D-3 school, by two.

Is that even CIF legal.. 2 games in one day??

How do you think tournaments get played? Many of them require teams to play twice a day

Been around high school ball for awhile and can say never seen that before...AAU yes but not high school tournaments.. sounds like a St Joes thing... somebody quote some other examples

Bear Creek did last season

played a tourney final in Rocklin
Then played in Hip’s shootout against Carondelet at Chabot

it happens
Rare
But it happens.

Been around high school ball for awhile and can say never seen that before...AAU yes but not high school tournaments.. sounds like a St Joes thing... somebody quote some other examples
it happens at tournaments in the central section too

According to the San Jose Mercury News, SJND will be moved to the West Alameda County Conference next year.

The paper also said that SJND had applied to NCS for a move before last year, but apparently had been turned down for some reason.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Again, this was only for basketball...not the other sports. The reason they were turned down is because the rest of the WAC schools didn't want them in their league. The thinking was it's bad enough we have to play BOD twice and now throw in SJND (both on the boys and girls side)? Can't say that I blame them but I think this is a much better fit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT