ADVERTISEMENT

St. Marys program tarnished by 2 dads with a plan......

Jan 21, 2022
If your wondering what happened to the St. Mary's program, do a little digging and see if you can get the answers with the following clues....
Clue #1) Which 2 "dads" connected the new coach to the Team Kidd program, ensuring her a nice flow of talent and ensuring them their daughters will be taking care of.
Clue #2) Find out why one of St. Marys former players (class of 22 point guard, who was a D1 commit to Colorado State) stopped playing basketball altogether. Keep in mind that this amazing girl started at PG for St. Marys her entire freshman season.
Clue #3) Find out why another gifted D1 player, followed suit and left the program, transferring to MC.
Clue #4) Find out which dad so graciously helped run the MLK tournament for the new coach.
Clue #5) Find out which dad worked his way in with the new coach and now has his own set of keys to the gym.
Clue #6) Find out which dad got so tight with the new coach, that they were often seen going out to get coffee together during Team Kidd tournaments.
and Clue #7) Visual evidence. Go back and watch all the game film, and you'll see that the daughters of these two "dads with a plan" never come out of the game, nor do they get pulled out after mistakes, like the rest of the players do.
Need more clues.....talk to any parent who's girls ever played for Port City or the XBA program.

I would guess it is someone with an axe to grind with St. Mary's. Tried earlier this season and nobody took the bait. Nobody should bother with this either.

If your wondering what happened to the St. Mary's program, do a little digging and see if you can get the answers with the following clues....
Clue #1) Which 2 "dads" connected the new coach to the Team Kidd program, ensuring her a nice flow of talent and ensuring them their daughters will be taking care of.
Clue #2) Find out why one of St. Marys former players (class of 22 point guard, who was a D1 commit to Colorado State) stopped playing basketball altogether. Keep in mind that this amazing girl started at PG for St. Marys her entire freshman season.
Clue #3) Find out why another gifted D1 player, followed suit and left the program, transferring to MC.
Clue #4) Find out which dad so graciously helped run the MLK tournament for the new coach.
Clue #5) Find out which dad worked his way in with the new coach and now has his own set of keys to the gym.
Clue #6) Find out which dad got so tight with the new coach, that they were often seen going out to get coffee together during Team Kidd tournaments.
and Clue #7) Visual evidence. Go back and watch all the game film, and you'll see that the daughters of these two "dads with a plan" never come out of the game, nor do they get pulled out after mistakes, like the rest of the players do.
Need more clues.....talk to any parent who's girls ever played for Port City or the XBA program.
You sound a little bit disgruntled

This poster's investigation reads very creepy. What's the reason to following and gathering this information on such people? Pretty stalker-ish.

Reactions: MC415 and SmoothJay
This poster's investigation reads very creepy. What's the reason to following and gathering this information on such people? Pretty stalker-ish.
I think having a cup of coffee with the coach before a tournament game is the strongest evidence of malfeasance. I’m sure there are photos!

CIF Bylaw 510, Undue Influence
<>510. UNDUE INFLUENCE, PRE-ENROLLMENT CONTACT, FAILURE TO DISCLOSE PRE-ENROLLMENT CONTACT AND ATHLETICALLY MOTIVATED TRANSFERS A. The use of undue influence by any person(s) to secure or retain a student or their parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver as residents may cause the student to be ineligible for high school athletics for a period of one year and shall jeopardize the standing of the high school in the CIF
Athletically motivated pre-enrollment contact of any kind by anyone from, or associated* with, a school or its athletic programs to which a student may transfer or move into the attendance area is not permitted.

Reactions: St.MarysisDEAD
Sorry Hooper, having coffee with the coach while at an AAU tournament doesn't cross the line for undue influence. And I know from personal experience (on both sides of the equation) that it can be frustrating when your daughter doesn't get the playing time you think she deserves. But trust me, this isn't the way to solve your problem.

If you take that rule literally, that would probably have hundreds of coaches in violation.

If you take that rule literally, that would probably have hundreds of coaches in violation.
If they were to enforce that rule about transfers being “athletically motivated”, Carondelet might not even be able to field a team this season. I believe the CIF quit enforcing it when the Mater Dei boys football team kept challenging them in court. It seems to be a free market these days.

Reactions: Coach_Case
You
you need a whole team of therapists working with you around the clock.

The therapy I could use, is to see these types of dads just step back and let their kids earn everything on their own. But maybe I'm the only one out there, that is tired of seeing parents leveraging and making themselves valuable in some way, to gain an advantage for their kids. I guess being oldschool is outdated

Reactions: St.MarysisDEAD
The therapy I could use, is to see these types of dads just step back and let their kids earn everything on their own. But maybe I'm the only one out there, that is tired of seeing parents leveraging and making themselves valuable in some way, to gain an advantage for their kids. I guess being oldschool is outdated

Why? Why would they need leverage and what the heck are you talking about... Didn't you see the MC game? One kid had 22 and the other had 17. Both kids have multiple D1 scholarship offers as well. To me that sounds like the kids are doing just fine without parental leverage. And I ask you again...Why? Why?

All this leads me to conclude is that you are a true "HATER." Instead of focusing on your issues you hide behind a username on a message board and take unneccessary and in appropriate shots at others. If your issues were that big, you could have called either or both of them. I am sure obtaining their phone numbers would be really easy and a lot faster then the time it took you to write your original post. BUT WAIT, that would have required you to talk to someone and disclose who you really are.

My advice to you would be maybe you should just transfer your kid if you are not happy!

Reactions: Phantom44
Goodness, those 2 dads never colluded with each other to do anything. Their kids are legit and deserve every minute they get. Girls have big time D1 offers and folks on here talking about their dad is influencing coaches. Bitter much? The coach is great and I saw first hand her holding all the kids accountable and benching the girls in question. Some of y’all are sad.

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
For the record Im a big fan of Alle Moreno. I had the pleasure/opportunity of sitting with her many times during tournaments/showcases when she was recruiting for SJSU over the previous few yrs and she's a very nice lady.

My question is...did I miss something? What happened to the SMS program? Huh? They were a questionable seeding heartbreak (on the road) loss from being in the OPEN again this year and are now in the semi finals in D1 with a legit chance of representing the north in the D1 state championship. They are very young with only 1 senior and it seems to me will be very formidable over the next couple of yrs.

I dont think anything has happened to that program...classes come and go and some are better than ever. The days of 7 or 8 D1 girls and multiple Power5 players may never come around again. That was a special time and unbelievable stretch of greatness...even if Tom G was still there I dont think hed be able to duplicate that again as I think there is just too much competition for the kids nowadays.

After that early December loss to
Paul… I saw a team that was not athletic
Enough to play the style they had played in the past…simple… not two dads… three dads.. four dads more
Everyone would like to blame some conspiracy… they are just not that good…
Athletically…average or just above average

Last edited:
If there is a problem and kids/families are leaving then it will play itself out that way. There are plenty of other options for players who do not like or mesh with a specific program. They should go to where they feel they are comfortable and it suits their best interests. I don't know very much about the program at present, but it appears that the posting Dad's agenda is at cross purposes with the "two Dads" agendas. This might also be true of any players or families who might have left. I point out that everyone has an agenda. and not all of them are reconcilable so choices have to be made. Does having your own interests of agenda not being the choice, justify a vengeful response? What purpose is served?

While I do not really know the dynamics of the present SMS team, I was very aware of the one with the previous coach and the issues that brought down that program. I can say it did not fall on its own merit, but by vengeful interference of individuals who's own agenda's appeared to them to counter that of the programs. Unfortunately, it was not just the coach and program that was brought down, but also the best interests and agendas of some of those involved in its demise. They really did very little to promote their own agendas, but only helped others achieve their own.

That is how life seems to work. Perceived injustice is used to justify a response or reaction that eventually blows back while never serving the purpose it was initiated for. Rather it serves to promote a different form of injustice and the cycle goes on and on.

After that early December loss to
Paul… I saw a team that was not athletic
Enough to play the style they had played in the past…simple… not two dads… three dads.. four dads more
Everyone would like to blame some conspiracy… they are just not that good…
Athletically…average or just above average
You should start training them and get them athletic. Talk to the dads and see if they can get it approved.

Nope I am banned from Stockdump
For life…going. To the games at SMS
And telling the truth about Tom
Was not appreciated…before he was run
Out…

For the record Im a big fan of Alle Moreno. I had the pleasure/opportunity of sitting with her many times during tournaments/showcases when she was recruiting for SJSU over the previous few yrs and she's a very nice lady.

My question is...did I miss something? What happened to the SMS program? Huh? They were a questionable seeding heartbreak (on the road) loss from being in the OPEN again this year and are now in the semi finals in D1 with a legit chance of representing the north in the D1 state championship. They are very young with only 1 senior and it seems to me will be very formidable over the next couple of yrs.

I dont think anything has happened to that program...classes come and go and some are better than ever. The days of 7 or 8 D1 girls and multiple Power5 players may never come around again. That was a special time and unbelievable stretch of greatness...even if Tom G was still there I dont think hed be able to duplicate that again as I think there is just too much competition for the kids nowadays.
I am a big fan as well.

And if you don't think this kind of recruiting and politics doesn't happen at other big time programs then you haven't watched high school basketball long enough. All of the top schools have aau feeder programs (cagers/mitty, fever/pinewood, now cal stars/carondelet)Carondelet.

Having a drink or a meal with a coach is normal in my book. And everyone wants their kid to play. Sms has big time players.

If you don't like it, you should transfer. I think parents forget that you should go to high school for the experience. Not for the basketball.

I'm not chiming in with support of the "Dad" concern here but I see hypocrisy overall from some members in some of our comments. I'm not saying @northbaybbguru is guilty of anything I'm just using this comment to reflect. If it's solely about players why even have a coach? Early in the season this entire forum was lighting up about how Mitty didn't have the players they once had and probably wouldn't be that good. Now they are going to the open division state championship. How much of that was players and how much of that is coaching? If coaching doesn't matter then why even have a coach if you have supreme talent? If all it takes is 7 D1s just roll the ball out and let them play. However I don't believe you need 7 D1s to be successful in high school girls basketball. Salesian just won the D1 State title and I don't believe any girl on that program has a D1 offer. Coaching matters even more than the talent because the players go as the coach goes. My comment is only in regards to the notion you need multiple D1s to be successful. Again I don't think Salesian has a D1 but I may be wrong. From what I see SMS has a new coach so I'm sure she will figure it out and have them back to what they once we're. I doubt the two Dad's have the influence this thread mentions but I certainly would hope not.

Last edited:
I'm not chiming in with support of the "Dad" concern here but I see hypocrisy overall from some members in some of our comments. I'm not saying @northbaybbguru is guilty of anything I'm just using this comment to reflect. If it's solely about players why even have a coach? Early in the season this entire forum was lighting up about how Mitty didn't have the players they once had and probably wouldn't be that good. Now they are going to the open division state championship. How much of that was players and how much of that is coaching? If coaching doesn't matter then why even have a coach if you have supreme talent? If all it takes is 7 D1s just roll the ball out and let them play. However I don't believe you need 7 D1s to be successful in high school girls basketball. Salesian just won the D1 State title and I don't believe any girl on that program has a D1 offer. Coaching matters even more than the talent because the players go as the coach goes. My comment is only in regards to the notion you need multiple D1s to be successful. Again I don't think Salesian has a D1 but I may be wrong. From what I see SMS has a new coach so I'm sure she will figure it out and have them back to what they once we're. I doubt the two Dad's have the influence this thread mentions but I certainly would hope not.
Salesian wins the D1 state title. Congrats to them. But if there had been 8 full teams in the Open instead of stopping at 7 for some reason, they would have been cannon fodder in the first round to Carondelet. So the top 14 teams in the state were in the Open, the true state championship bracket. Salesian gets a win in the “2nd Division” which puts them as #15 in the state. A nice accomplishment to be sure, but a step below the 14 Open teams.

That gritty Salesian underdog..

ummmm....wtf am I guilty of? Defending the coach? Ill do that eveytime with Alle as I said who I think is a very nice lady. I mean seriously..the original poster was claiming the program was losing players and in disarray. If I am guilty of defending the program and the coach then Im guilty as charged.

Salesian wins the D1 state title. Congrats to them. But if there had been 8 full teams in the Open instead of stopping at 7 for some reason, they would have been cannon fodder in the first round to Carondelet. So the top 14 teams in the state were in the Open, the true state championship bracket. Salesian gets a win in the “2nd Division” which puts them as #15 in the state. A nice accomplishment to be sure, but a step below the 14 Open teams.
Salesian has been the 2 seed in the NCS Open both years of its existence . Both times losing in the 2 vs 3 semifinals. The 3 seed has then gone on to lose in the finals. The 1st year that team was CN, this year it was SRV. BOTH CN and SRV were "rewarded" for winning that 2 vs 3 game by being given the bottom seed in the State OPEN (CN 5 seed in 5 team bracket..SRV 7 seed in a 7 team bracket).... Meanwhile Salesian was "penalized " by being given the 1(top) seed in D1 BOTH TIMES.

If SRV had LOST that game vs Salesian there would be a good chance we would all be congratulating SRV for winning the D1 state title today. Its such a major flaw in the system where time after time after time you get rewarded for losing.

Just thought I'd point that out again.... you can probably guess I'm not a fan of comp equity.

Last edited:
ummmm....wtf am I guilty of? Defending the coach? Ill do that eveytime with Alle as I said who I think is a very nice lady. I mean seriously..the original poster was claiming the program was losing players and in disarray. If I am guilty of defending the program and the coach then Im guilty as charged.
You are definitely not guilty of anything. That's why I said northbayguru isn't guilty of anything and I was just using that comment to reflect. I don't know much about the SMS girls hoops coach so I wasn't personally attacking her either. I was just saying we can't put it all on the players and sometimes even coaches do that. I apologize If it came across as an attack because it truly wasnt @northbaybbguru

Last edited:
Reactions: northbaybbguru
But realistically the other NorCal schools don't have tons of D1s either let alone power 5s. My point was that it doesn't take multiple D1s to be successful . Salesian could have easily made open if you take away the SRV loss and they also blew out a team with close to those 7 D1 players and multiple power 5 players in Centennial NV. The NorCal open bracket isn't loaded with power 5 talent as there is barely any power 5 talent in that bracket according to the NorCal preps forum experts. I'm not trashing any coaches or players I'm just saying coaching matters just as much as the players if not more. I'm not trashing anyone on this thread or any coach let me repeat that so no one reads this wrong.

I am a big fan as well.

And if you don't think this kind of recruiting and politics doesn't happen at other big time programs then you haven't watched high school basketball long enough. All of the top schools have aau feeder programs (cagers/mitty, fever/pinewood, now cal stars/carondelet)Carondelet.

Having a drink or a meal with a coach is normal in my book. And everyone wants their kid to play. Sms has big time players.

If you don't like it, you should transfer. I think parents forget that you should go to high school for the experience. Not for the basketball.

I'm sure if it were easier to transfer more kids from multiple schools would transfer. High school coaches are well aware of the limitations the players have when it comes to transferring.

Salesian has been the 2 seed in the NCS Open both years of its existence . Both times losing in the 2 vs 3 semifinals. The 3 seed has then gone on to lose in the finals. The 1st year that team was CN, this year it was SRV. BOTH CN and SRV were "rewarded" for winning that 2 vs 3 game by being given the bottom seed in the State OPEN (CN 5 seed in 5 team bracket..SRV 7 seed in a 7 team bracket).... Meanwhile Salesian was "penalized " by being given the 1(top) seed in D1 BOTH TIMES.

If SRV had LOST that game vs Salesian there would be a good chance we would all be congratulating SRV for winning the D1 state title today. Its such a major flaw in the system where time after time after time you get rewarded for losing.

Just thought I'd point that out again.... you can probably guess I'm not a fan of comp equity.
Leroy is a great coach, runs a great program, and is a great influence on young woman. He’s also a genius on how to play the competitive equity game and manipulate it. Schedule as many losses as possible, play the best, play the anyone/any day card, and get bumped down a division or 2 based on record/maxpreps rankings and go win a state championship. Don’t hate the player hate the game. But I hope to see some changes to this in the coming years from the CIF. There is only one “State champion” and one “NorCal Champion”. This year Mitty is the NorCal Champion and the winner of their game is the State champion. Salesian is the State Farm insurance bowl winner, SJM is the Afflack bowl winner, Tech is the Camping world bowl winner and so on. There should be one main tournament which should be celebrated like the NCAA tournament. Small schools (16 seeds) it is monumental to make that tournament in the NCAA. Celebrate it as such. Hang a banner for making that tournament. The rest is just the NIT tournament. The 150th best team in California isn’t a “state champion” in my very humble opinion.

Reactions: coachcarter40
Leroy is a great coach, runs a great program, and is a great influence on young woman. He’s also a genius on how to play the competitive equity game and manipulate it. Schedule as many losses as possible, play the best, play the anyone/any day card, and get bumped down a division or 2 based on record/maxpreps rankings and go win a state championship. Don’t hate the player hate the game. But I hope to see some changes to this in the coming years from the CIF. There is only one “State champion” and one “NorCal Champion”. This year Mitty is the NorCal Champion and the winner of their game is the State champion. Salesian is the State Farm insurance bowl winner, SJM is the Afflack bowl winner, Tech is the Camping world bowl winner and so on. There should be one main tournament which should be celebrated like the NCAA tournament. Small schools (16 seeds) it is monumental to make that tournament in the NCAA. Celebrate it as such. Hang a banner for making that tournament. The rest is just the NIT tournament. The 150th best team in California isn’t a “state champion” in my very humble opinion.
I would push back on the first part of this. I think Tech wants to go higher, but IMO the selection committee looks at the number of losses, sees they are an Oakland Section school and drops them. Why that has happened three straight years I think speaks more to the committee than what Tech may or may not be trying to do.

Since we keep relating these games to college football bowl games here is a list of bowl victories for last season. Bowl victories are used to keep track of conference strength even though there is only 1 national champion. If they weren't important would does every sports publication keep track of them? So I get what everyone is saying to discredit the different division state championships but they are still very relevant. But make no mistake the Open division is the national championship but the New Years Six bowl games that are not related to the CFB playoffs still matter

Last edited:
I would push back on the first part of this. I think Tech wants to go higher, but IMO the selection committee looks at the number of losses, sees they are an Oakland Section school and drops them. Why that has happened three straight years I think speaks more to the committee than what Tech may or may not be trying to do.
Committee doesn’t watch them play basketball if they think they are a D3 school in competitive equity era. I don’t think they schedule to get bumped down but it’s a win/win when losing to the big dogs. If they scheduled more wins they’d be bumped up to D1 based on their record and stupid maxpreps rankings. But being in the Oakland section they have to schedule tough teams I understand that. Whether they’d want that or not I don’t know the answer to that. My post wasn’t negative light on tech I wanted it to shine light on how the system is broken (dead horse). Salesian not making the open this year is almost a failure of a season in their standard of excellence. They were beat in the NCS open by SRV. Some would say they underachieved. But when the D1-D5 in competive equity is looked at and celebrated the same way as the open as a true “state champ” none of the other stuff matters I guess. If it was enrollment based still then sure you are the state champ, but in this system you are the #15 team in California champ. My humble opinion. Old man screaming at clouds here I know.

Reactions: Streak One
So if that’s the case we can take it all the way back and take all the other “greats” who won CIF state championships in lower divisions and say their titles are popcorn titles lol.
SMS
Mitty
And so on.
You guys griping about a system that’s currently not favoring your usual NorCal favorites. Lol Go complain to CIF. You can catch them at Golden 1.

congratulations to all the kids that made it. After two years of not having this moment it’s a blessing to see the joys and smiles on their face.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT