ADVERTISEMENT

The Bay Area’s Best Teams and Players

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
Thought I would kick off a parallel thread similar to our Brothers in Sac and surrounding area:
I’ll start with the Bay Area’s top teams entering 2019-20:
Salesian
Campo
DeLa
Riordan
Dublin
Mitty
Bellarmine
O’Dowd
Moreau
Dougherty Valley

Top Players
Shane Bell and Tejon Sawyer - Salesian
Robby Beasley- DV
Dishon Jackson - SPSV
Clark and Monroe - Riordan
Mitchell and Burris - Mitty
Mahaney Bros. - Campo
Bowser - BOD
Dargan - DeLa

Who you got?!?

All I know is Riordan is going to be starting 3 kids with college scholarship offers, two who are well seasoned seniors. And that doesn’t even include Riny and the other kid they have.

If they can stay healthy Riordan will be a tough team to beat for anybody in Norcal.

Green over the younger Burris, reminds me of Terrell Brown SJS - SFCC - NMS
Athletic and wiry body
Burris going from the G league (BCL) to the NBA (WCAL) props to Burris and family for getting out of that weak league (coach Randy and University the exception) future looks bright for the young man. Great get for Mitty.

Athletic and wiry body
Burris going from the G league (BCL) to the NBA (WCAL) props to Burris and family for getting out of that weak league (coach Randy and University the exception) future looks bright for the young man. Great get for Mitty.

The G league. Interesting. Actually it’s not, it’s flat out disrespectful and not true. University and Stuart Hall have combined for 3 state title games over the past couple of years. Last season Uni played in the D3 game. The league was growing nicely, until Mitty decided to swoop in and do what they did.

Like I have said in the past I will continue to support Nigel. I actually saw him at a recent all star event. But to me the Mitty coach doesn’t exist. If he offered to shake my hand, I would walk away.

D3 State title in the competitive equity era? LOL. And that "title" does not make up for a non competitive league.

You are right about Marcus Greene and his placement. Good player. Like the Brown kid at NMSU...You also right about the MOVE by Nigel Burris. He will get better at Mitty. One of the reasons the parents made the move.

He will get way Better and it is a serious step up in leagues and players. BCL is a two or three team league. WCALs worst team would win BCL.

And let's face it University High is the San Antonio Spurs of that league and Bessollo is Like Greg Popovich...Even when he doesn't have the top talent he manages to win the league. He has had the league in the palm of his hand...

Athletic and wiry body

The G league. Interesting. Actually it’s not, it’s flat out disrespectful and not true. University and Stuart Hall have combined for 3 state title games over the past couple of years. Last season Uni played in the D3 game. The league was growing nicely, until Mitty decided to swoop in and do what they did.

Like I have said in the past I will continue to support Nigel. I actually saw him at a recent all star event. But to me the Mitty coach doesn’t exist. If he offered to shake my hand, I would walk away.
I am sure he will not lose any sleep over not getting to shake your hand.

You are right about Marcus Greene and his placement. Good player. Like the Brown kid at NMSU...You also right about the MOVE by Nigel Burris. He will get better at Mitty. One of the reasons the parents made the move.

He will get way Better and it is a serious step up in leagues and players. BCL is a two or three team league. WCALs worst team would win BCL.

And let's face it University High is the San Antonio Spurs of that league and Bessollo is Like Greg Popovich...Even when he doesn't have the top talent he manages to win the league. He has had the league in the palm of his hand...

Yet Stuart Hall won the league and the league tournament last year. I’ll give University their props, but to leave Stuart Hall out of the conversation is irresponsible.

I’d even venture to say, put Burris on Stuart Hall this year instead of transferring. Have that team play Mitty without Burris. I think we have a shot at beating them.

Oh well...guess we’ll never get a chance to see.

Oh yeah and last year we also smoked Vanden by 30+.

But we’re a g league team.

Stuart Hall would not have stood a chance against Mitty this year even if Burris didnt transfer. Step back and see the light. Dont be blinded cause you're a homer.

And why would the Mitty coach want to walk over and shake your hand? Who are you?

Reactions: Scott2138
Is Vanden any good?

And they, Stuart Hall would not have beaten Mitty this year. Please.

Last year with Bryce Monroe out. Riordan beat Stuart Hall by an easy 30. It could have been 40 plus if Riordan wanted to make a statement. And last year might have been one of The Hall's best teams....Outside of the Armani Collins era. The program is good. BUT not on par with a WCAL school.

And let's be honest. Coach Randy and University have had that league on lock. It's not even a debate.

Yet Stuart Hall won the league and the league tournament last year. I’ll give University their props, but to leave Stuart Hall out of the conversation is irresponsible.

I’d even venture to say, put Burris on Stuart Hall this year instead of transferring. Have that team play Mitty without Burris. I think we have a shot at beating them.

Oh well...guess we’ll never get a chance to see.

Oh yeah and last year we also smoked Vanden by 30+.

But we’re a g league team.

I respectfully disagree again superle,

Everyone talks about Maxpreps rankings.

Stuart Hall was ranked 498 nationally and 66th in the State

Mitty was ranked 323rd nationally and 46th in the State.

We will never see the matchup unfortunately, but I stand by my previous statement 100%. And i'm not taking anything away from the WCAL.

I just feel like right now you're treating the BCL like the WCC, and the WCAL like the Pac 12. Can't fairly judge a matchup unless the two teams duel.

that is a good comparison And Max prep rankings don't mean a thing. There is no comparison between the two programs. Ask young Burris when you see him. There is a reason why the move was made

Thought I would kick off a parallel thread similar to our Brothers in Sac and surrounding area:
Salesian
Campo
DeLa
Riordan
Dublin
Mitty
Bellarmine
O’Dowd
Moreau
Dougherty Valley

Top Players
Robby Beasley- DV
Dishon Jackson - SPSV
Mahaney Bros. - Campo
Bowser - BOD
Dargan - DeLa

Who you got?!?

Jalen Scott- SPSV
SLEEPER. Start paying attention to the kid.

All I know is Riordan is going to be starting 3 kids with college scholarship offers, two who are well seasoned seniors. And that doesn’t even include Riny and the other kid they have.

If they can stay healthy Riordan will be a tough team to beat for anybody in Norcal.

No doubt Riordan has the size and talent but let's see how it all plays out. Will their transfers be eligible before league plays starts in January? Concerns that I'd have with Riordan is outside shooting and too much one-on-one iso / hero ball. Riordan has brought in a lot of international transfers since they instituted their boarding program but I don't remember any of them living up to the hype.

I don't recall anyone hyping up any of the international students other than saying they were tall. 2 of the International students (Karim Ngaye-2015? and Chan)were lost for a season due to injury. And Chan and Riiny lost half of the league season last year because they could not return to the US after the Holidays because of the gov't shutdown.
Most Crusader followers have all said these players are raw, willing to learn and have potential.

I respectfully disagree again superle,

Everyone talks about Maxpreps rankings.

Stuart Hall was ranked 498 nationally and 66th in the State

Mitty was ranked 323rd nationally and 46th in the State.

Max Prep rankings dont mean a thing. Miles helped make SH respectable. SH was lucky his family is loyal...he stuck with Bay City and SH thru out his prep career. If it wasn't for his talent, loyalty and unselfishness....SH would have never dared to schedule the type of opponents they did the last couple years. I'm pretty sure Miles graduating had a big influence in Burris' decision to transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Renard Monroe
Salesian
Campo
DeLa
Riordan
Dublin
Mitty
Bellarmine
O’Dowd
Moreau
Dougherty Valley

Top Players
Robby Beasley- DV
Dishon Jackson - SPSV
Mahaney Bros. - Campo
Bowser - BOD
Dargan - DeLa

Who you got?!?

Add Jalen Scott from SPSV to this list.
Him and DJ together can provide a crazy 1-2 punch.

Smooth jumper, slick handle, ridiculous first step.

Add Jalen Scott from SPSV to this list.
Him and DJ together can provide a crazy 1-2 punch.

Smooth jumper, slick handle, ridiculous first step.

Thanks for the info and welcome to the board Csk, or should I say dad?

Here are some great duos/trios and newcomers as I see this season:
Duos/Trios
Saunders, Alonso and Roy - Dublin
Burris, Mitchell and Green - Mitty
Scott and Jackson - SPSV
Sawyer, Bell and Brinkman - Salesian
Monroe and Clark - Riordan
Mahaney Bros and Callus - Campo
Dargan and Bunch - DLS
Roberson and Bowser - BOD

Newcomers:
Ryan Beasley - DV
J Aquino - Lincoln SF
Logan Robeson - Campo
Anderson - Salesian
Lewis - BOD
Mor Seck - Riordan

Here are some great duos/trios and newcomers as I see this season:
Duos/Trios
Saunders, Alonso and Roy - Dublin
Burris, Mitchell and Green - Mitty
Scott and Jackson - SPSV
Sawyer, Bell and Brinkman - Salesian
Monroe and Clark - Riordan
Mahaney Bros and Callus - Campo
Dargan and Bunch - DLS
Roberson and Bowser - BOD

Newcomers:
Ryan Beasley - DV
J Aquino - Lincoln SF
Logan Robeson - Campo
Anderson - Salesian
Lewis - BOD
Mor Seck - Riordan

The Sevilla brothers and Beasley will be exciting to watch. The Sevilla brothers are highly underrated.

Reactions: dcfan and jordan24
Exciting to watch yes but doughtery is no match for the upper tier teams in there league no skilled size at all in the middle is not a good recipe for sucess against dela, monte vista, or Dublin.Dv may be a bit over hyped because of the addition of beasley.

I disagree, DV always defends at a high level and in years past they’ve lacked scoring. They will have that this year and now that the NCS will have a Open division I expect them to be a legitimate D1 contender.

Reactions: observer22
So glad Riordan is playing all these teams that are better than them. Riordan may get pushed out of preseason rankings real fast.

That would be pretty shocking. I didn’t see many teams being mentioned as better than Riordan. They’ll be favored in almost every game. I doubt anyone will be overlooking them even if they were to lose a game or 2 early. They’re a target this year.

Reactions: Scott2138
That would be pretty shocking. I didn’t see many teams being mentioned as better than Riordan. They’ll be favored in almost every game. I doubt anyone will be overlooking them even if they were to lose a game or 2 early. They’re a target this year.
Go check out Norcal Rankings...no biggie.

Very interesting norcal top 20 list of teams Let the games begin.DELA at 4 over some veteran senior laden teams is very interesting considering they lost 3 pivotal players to gradution and will be lead by 3 sophomores this season.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
They can use that as motivation but it would be shocking if they don’t make the NorCal Open.
So glad Riordan is playing all these teams that are better than them. Riordan may get pushed out of preseason rankings real fast.
Agreed. They already have scheduled games against Weston Ranch and Modesto Christian in December, with a chance to play Salesian, Campolindo, Cap Christian, Dublin, SP/SV, and WR in the Gridley Invitational. They'll find out really fast where they stand.

I think the list is pretty good for preseason rankings. It is easy to quibble with rankings before the games are played. We will find out soon who improved and put in the work in the off season. If I put them in tiers going into the season:
Tier 1 (No doubt the top teams to beat)
Sheldon
Salesian

Tier 2 (Open Potential. Can anyone move into Tier 1?)
Mitty
De La Salle
Weston Ranch
Modesto Christian
Riordan
Bishop O’Dowd
Campolindo
Capital Christian
Dublin

Tier 3 (Most likely not Open teams. Tier 2?)
Vanden
Grant
Bellarmine
Franklin, Elk Grove
Dougherty Valley
Folsom
St. Patrick-St. Vincent
Moreau Catholic
Jesuit

Reactions: cityfan
Renard, I am glad you revived this thread with a statement saying your glad Riordan is playing all these teams that are better than they are.
It's good to see a team challenge themselves In non conference games. Rankings are Rankings, doesn't make them wrong just because I do not agree with them. We will see it all unfold in the weeks to come.

Very interesting norcal top 20 list of teams Let the games begin.DELA at 4 over some veteran senior laden teams is very interesting considering they lost 3 pivotal players to gradution and will be lead by 3 sophomores this season.

Yeah it’s early so things shuffle. DLS might not be best team in that 680-24 corridor considering Campo, Dublin, DV.. but I like DLS and there size/length will give team fits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT