ADVERTISEMENT

The Incredible Shrinking Pac 12

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
As of this afternoon, the Pac 12 is down three schools within a year _ unless new additions come on board PDQ. What a nightmare for West Coast college sports fans. Hey, is Cal Maritime available?

Pac 12 wasn't doing well before these three schools decided to leave. Were probably too over confident in their brand when they didn't make an earlier play for the San Diego State, Fresno State, Gonzagas (Basketball) of the world.

Reactions: THEOC89
Pac 12 wasn't doing well before these three schools decided to leave. Were probably too over confident in their brand when they didn't make an earlier play for the San Diego State, Fresno State, Gonzagas (Basketball) of the world.
I think the previous Commissioner of the Pac 22, Larry something bears the blame for this sorry state of affairs. Damage was already down before the new Commissioner took over.

I hate to see USC and UCLA go but the offer they accepted is one you definitely can’t refuse.

I agree Streak, the PAC 12 should have dropped their tier 1 research requirement and added Fresno State and San Diego State to the conference 15-20 years ago.

The PAC 12 needed evolution! And I think it could have come from adding a few CSU’s to the mix…

The academic standards at UCLA, Berkeley and Stanford are tough. Fresno State and San Diego State would have given the Pac 12 a stronger California presence, providing an easier path for student athletes to get into the conference!

West Coast football struggles because the California state schools have had minimal success and limited opportunities.

Fresno State, San Diego State and Sac State all need bigger platforms… San Jose State and Sac State need better facilities!

Sacramento has the regional talent to compete in the Mountain West but the leadership doesn’t have that vision. Or so it seems.

Last edited:
I hate to see USC and UCLA go but the offer they accepted is one you definitely can’t refuse.

I agree Streak, the PAC 12 should have dropped their tier 1 research requirement and added Fresno State and San Diego State to the conference 15-20 years ago.

The PAC 12 needed evolution! And I think it could have come from adding a few CSU’s to the mix…

The academic standards at UCLA, Berkeley and Stanford are tough. Fresno State and San Diego State would have given the Pac 12 a stronger California presence, providing an easier path for student athletes to get into the conference!

West Coast football struggles because the California state schools have had minimal success and limited opportunities.

Fresno State, San Diego State and Sac State all need bigger platforms… San Jose State and Sac State need better facilities!

Sacramento has the regional talent to compete in the Mountain West but the leadership doesn’t have that vision. Or so it seems.
SJSU just finished a huge facility upgrade the new training facilities are beautiful! And I think Spartan Stadium is a great place to watch a ballgame my 3 year old doesn’t miss a game it’s his favorite venue

PRIME TIME needs some Prime time TV $$$ See ya Pac woke 12

Being on the West Coast severely impacts East Coast viewership/exposure for evening games. TV/add revenue is king.

It’s a problem from the bottom up on the west coast, especially CA. We are at the point now where there are virtually zero opportunities to play 4 year football in CA unless you are D1 caliber. Our JC system is still very strong but has shrunk a bit recently. If you aren’t all conference type at Juco, you are really limited and if you want to continue playing out of state is it. Our state system is losing out on a big, diverse, group of young men who would attend a CSU school. I know for a fact enrollment is shrinking at many schools now, case in point Humboldt. I think getting quality HS and Juco coaches will get tougher, so many coaches are alumni of defunct D1 or D2 football programs.

Football at the college level is just such an afterthought really at all levels out west, with a few exceptions. We really miss out on the social aspects of attending and watching games as well. East of us football is a great way to network with alumni/fans, get together with family and friends ect…
Students feel much more pride in their school and are more likely to donate and want to send family as legacies.

At least we have Lincoln Oakland (borderline scam program) and upstart NAIA Simpson Redding (starting next year).

Reactions: FormerD1Backer

SDSU can hang with the Pac-9 athletically, and IMO are more of a fit academically than ever. Their acceptance rate is under 40% these days.

Reactions: larry legend33
San Diego St. is the only candidate within the state. Many Cal fans have a real grudge against Fresno St. going back to the 2000 game in Fresno when Cal fans were treated very badly (I wasn't but that was the exception) and would be up in arms if they were even considered. The decision to add teams is up to the university presidents and they have minimum academic standards (significant research schools, etc.), snobby or not, that would eliminate at lot of schools.

Reactions: MC415
San Diego St. is the only candidate within the state. Many Cal fans have a real grudge against Fresno St. going back to the 2000 game in Fresno when Cal fans were treated very badly (I wasn't but that was the exception) and would be up in arms if they were even considered. The decision to add teams is up to the university presidents and they have minimum academic standards (significant research schools, etc.), snobby or not, that would eliminate at lot of schools.
Fair enough, but holding that line may mean they don't have a conference anymore or become an Ivy League of the West. Nothing wrong with that, but that isn't big time college football

Being on the West Coast severely impacts East Coast viewership/exposure for evening games. TV/add revenue is king.
Indeed! USC and Oregon are the only schools with decent viewership numbers.

The PAC 12 can’t compete with the Ohio States, Michigans and Alabamas of the worlds. But USC and UCLA aka the LA market is highly competitive combined they yielded about 3.7 million viewers per game. Which places them in the top 5 for viewership.

That’s why it’s important to stay business savvy and maximize the markets that are severely untapped. The West Coast has several big business cities that are connected to the global market.

It will take creativity for the West Coast to compete on the national scale. IMO, the most important factor is just keeping the conference intact. It’s still a good conference.

Last edited:
SDSU can hang with the Pac-9 athletically, and IMO are more of a fit academically than ever. Their acceptance rate is under 40% these days.
A school like Fresno could compete as well. Due to proximity, many California athletes would opt to go to Fresno State over Oregon State, Washington State, Arizona etc.

SJSU just finished a huge facility upgrade the new training facilities are beautiful! And I think Spartan Stadium is a great place to watch a ballgame my 3 year old doesn’t miss a game it’s his favorite venue
Huge facility upgrade? Have you seen what they've done to Spartan Stadium? They basically demolished the entire east side of the stadium and replaced it with an office building. There is 0 seating on that side of the stadium. Actually it now should be called Spartan half-stadium. They should put some money in refurbishing what's left of the west side of the stadium. It's a dump. I the bright side, the scoreboard is nice.

Huge facility upgrade? Have you seen what they've done to Spartan Stadium? They basically demolished the entire east side of the stadium and replaced it with an office building. There is 0 seating on that side of the stadium. Actually it now should be called Spartan half-stadium. They should put some money in refurbishing what's left of the west side of the stadium. It's a dump. I the bright side, the scoreboard is nice.

Yeah I went to every home game……that office building is a state of the art training center for SJSU athletics…..they do not need all that seating, I think it looks pretty cool and on that grassy knoll they can probably do something fun for families or college kids who want to sit out there……….for me personally and my family we enjoy going there a ton, it’s easy to get to, parking is easy, and it’s a totally chill atmosphere for a family like us with toddlers……to each their own

I wonder how USC and UCLA athletes will adjust to playing so many games across country. That travel schedule is going to be a beast. I wonder what kind of toll it will take on the athletes.

I guess the horrendous travel schedule is a small price to play given the $$$$ and the opportunity to play Ohio State and Michigan every year.

I think the teams in the Pac 12 should simply dissolve into other conferences.

The writing may be on the wall, but the Pac 12 still has really good programs.

Utah, Oregon, Washington and Oregon State are all preseason top 15 teams. And Stanford is on the brink of pulling in a top 10 recruiting class for 2024.

Being a member of a P5 conference is no longer the standard. As the NCAA has allowed the formation of 2 Super Conferences. The good part is the PAC 12 winner will still get an automatic bid to the college playoffs.

Washington, Utah, Oregon and Oregon State are all preseason top 15 teams! That’s still good! TV deal or not….

I’m wondering if schools like Oregon, Washington, and Utah could still sign their own independent TV deals to ensure that their fans can watch the games in their perspective regions….

Reactions: THEOC89
The writing may be on the wall, but the Pac 12 still has really good programs.

Utah, Oregon, Washington and Oregon State are all preseason top 15 teams. And Stanford is on the brink of pulling in a top 10 recruiting class for 2024.

Being a member of a P5 conference is no longer the standard. As the NCAA has allowed the formation of 2 Super Conferences. The good part is the PAC 12 winner will still get an automatic bid to the college playoffs.

Washington, Utah, Oregon and Oregon State are all preseason top 15 teams! That’s still good! TV deal or not….

I’m wondering if schools like Oregon, Washington, and Utah could still sign their own independent TV deals to ensure that their fans can watch the games in their perspective regions….

Those programs should join the big sky or the mountain west. They would most likely be the top programs in those conferences.

Those programs should join the big sky or the mountain west. They would most likely be the top programs in those conferences.
The Big Sky is an FCS conference (lower division/they don’t participate in the FBS) and several Mountain West schools want to join the Pac 12. The Pac 12 could add San Diego State and still be formidable in basketball and football.

Several online sources are reporting that the Big 10 is actively considering the addition of Oregon and Washington and, perhaps, Cal and Stanford to its mix. Mercy. The times they are a'changing.

Yes, I’ve read that rumor too. That gives me Rose Bowl vibes.

Times are definitely changing!

The Mountain West is not an option for Cal or Stanford as the TV money is below even the initial supposed offering for the Pac whatever. Stanford supports the most sports teams in the Pac 12 and Cal the second most, and while Stanford with their huge endowment might get away with supporting these teams Cal absolutely cannot without the football revenue. And going independent is totally out as there would be minimum money. Only Notre Dame can get away with that. And while San Diego St. may be getting a lot of requests for enrollment, even from 4.0 students, there is no scenario short of an alternative universe where they are on the same academic level as Cal.

Trust me I’m not saying SDSU is anywhere near as good of an institution as cal. But today I can tell you first hand that kids are getting into CAL and not into SDSU. Supply /demand. And SDSU has made great investments I the school and athletic program. Cal certainly has had some major hiccups.

Frezzzno state is an absolute hole! The City is barely a step up from Stockton. And yes, SDSU is almost like getting into CAL now. 4.0+
Yeah Fresno is definitely not the most desirable place to live but they do have a great football program and they have had some decent basketball teams over the years.

I bring Fresno in the mix because it is a California city, has a strong fan base, and would be a desirable destination for football kids to play.

They could also keep the PAC 12 afloat and functioning.

Reactions: remc and concrete17
Trust me I’m not saying SDSU is anywhere near as good of an institution as cal. But today I can tell you first hand that kids are getting into CAL and not into SDSU. Supply /demand. And SDSU has made great investments I the school and athletic program. Cal certainly has had some major hiccups.
SDSU makes sense no doubt. They should have been invited years ago! I don’t think the LA schools wanted to have to compete with them for recruits…

The Mountain West is not an option for Cal or Stanford as the TV money is below even the initial supposed offering for the Pac whatever. Stanford supports the most sports teams in the Pac 12 and Cal the second most, and while Stanford with their huge endowment might get away with supporting these teams Cal absolutely cannot without the football revenue. And going independent is totally out as there would be minimum money. Only Notre Dame can get away with that. And while San Diego St. may be getting a lot of requests for enrollment, even from 4.0 students, there is no scenario short of an alternative universe where they are on the same academic level as Cal.
Unless Cal and Stanford plan on going to the Big 10, their academic standards, as it relates to (football/basketball) are somewhat obsolete!

The tv deals have completely changed the landscape of college football…

Reactions: larry legend33
I feel there are so many little issues that these college power brokers aren't looking at in the name of tv (football) money.

First, how does it work for the olympic sports to make these long trips?

Second, I heard this logistic story on a podcast from Bruce Feldman. The airport in Happy Valley (Penn State) doesn't have a long enough runway for a plane that carries enough fuel to make it to LA. So those Penn State teams might need to travel an hour to an airport that does OR make a stop in the middle of the country to refuel.

I agree! I don't think they gave very much consideration to the Olympic sports because they don't generate money.

I wouldn't be surprised if the athletes get tired of traveling back east for games.

The PAC-12 lost a lot academic prestige with USC and UCLA moving out. Only three out of nine (Cal, Stanford, and Washington) are tough acceptances.

The PAC-12 lost a lot academic prestige with USC and UCLA moving out. Only three out of nine (Cal, Stanford, and Washington) are tough acceptances.
It appears that the Pac-12 was more concerned with academic prestige than athletic excellence. lol They didn't make the necessary adjustments to remain competitive in this TV Network driven economy.

I feel there are so many little issues that these college power brokers aren't looking at in the name of tv (football) money.

First, how does it work for the olympic sports to make these long trips?

Second, I heard this logistic story on a podcast from Bruce Feldman. The airport in Happy Valley (Penn State) doesn't have a long enough runway for a plane that carries enough fuel to make it to LA. So those Penn State teams might need to travel an hour to an airport that does OR make a stop in the middle of the country to refuel.
Or build a longer runway

It appears that the Pac-12 was more concerned with academic prestige than athletic excellence. lol They didn't make the necessary adjustments to remain competitive in this TV Network driven economy.
Agree with that.

Thank Larry Scott for driving the Pac 12 into the ground. When he couldn’t seal the deal with Texas, OU, Okie St and TTU the conference was doomed.

The last 2 cousin fvckers didn’t matter, but had the Longhorns and Sooners joined, SC and UCLA would have never left. It would have been a legit conference with enough strength just based on the LA schools and Texas pull that it likely would have been a destination conference.

Thank Larry Scott for driving the Pac 12 into the ground. When he couldn’t seal the deal with Texas, OU, Okie St and TTU the conference was doomed.

The last 2 cousin fvckers didn’t matter, but had the Longhorns and Sooners joined, SC and UCLA would have never left. It would have been a legit conference with enough strength just based on the LA schools and Texas pull that it likely would have been a destination conference.
Yeah I remember that back in 2011! I was hoping that Texas and Oklahoma joined. That would have been game changing.

What baffles me is that the new leadership didn’t secure their deal like the Big 12 Conference.

Reactions: bella123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT