ADVERTISEMENT

The WCAL Mystique

Norcal_Fan

Hall of Famer
Aug 13, 2001
I remember when the Big East reigned supreme in college basketball and even now, the ACC. But even teams that finished in the bottom half of the leagues were never in any rankings. It amazes me how much the respect the WCAL gets even though teams outside of Mitty didn't perform. I'm not saying teams in the WCAL are garbage (they clearly are good teams), but giving teams final rankings with their entire body of work is head scratching. Outside of a couple of teams, the WCAL had a cupcake of a preseason schedule.

Mitty Final Ranking 3
easily deserved-nuff said

St. Francis: 16-10. Final Ranking 17
Quality Wins: SHC, Woodside. Other than in league, did they play? They also got beat twice by presentation and Presentation isn't on this list.

Sacred Heart Cathedral: 9-13. Final Ranking 19
Their strength of schedule is stupid beyond belief, sitting at 28.9. They Lost a lot of games to good/great teams but not enough in the wins column to garner a ranking. Probably the most ridiculous raking I've seen on NCP since being a member years ago. That being said, they are probably the best 9 win team in the state.

St. Ignatius: 16-11. Final Ranking 20
Quality wins: Menlo, Tech,
Lost to Valley Christian twice, yet ranked ahead. First round Norcal exit.

EBAL had teams just as competitive
C-Let
Cal
SRV
Dublin
Amador Valley

WACC
BOD
Mt. Eden (good before best player broke her hand)
Berkeley
Piedmont
Alameda

Sierra
Folsom
Whitney
Oak Ridge
Del Oro

I'm sure I missed a couple of competitive leagues but the point is the league shouldn't give the ranking. SI, SHC, and SF are good programs. Teams that finished higher in league aren't even on this list. I remember West Coast schools always talking about East Coast bias when it came to rankings. WCAL has the same bias of Norcal hoops. AGAIN Good teams, but not sure the ranking fits the entire body of work. Look at it and tell me otherwise (with the exception of Mitty and SHC)

Was a fun season and regardless of what people are saying about next year, it can't come soon enough!

You're not wrong, but really only as it pertains to this year (so far). Many factors probably go into this, including history. Sustained quality can go a long ways in perception. Even on a "down year" not many teams want to go against LaRyan/ Mulkerins/ Wade and their teams come playoff time. As the normal ebbs and flows of leagues, sections, regions, etc continue, only time will tell if this is a dip before a rebound, or an ongoing trend worth mentioning.

Personally I still believe that if you took the bottom 2 teams of any of the teams in leagues you mentioned (for example dublin/ amador or piedmont/alameda) and put them in the WCAL, there is a strong chance that they likely don't win a single game. So if a 9-3 league record, as is the case for dublin and amador, could possibly translate into and 0-10 league record (or close to it), it still allows the WCAL to make an argument for the best league from top to bottom.

Just to be clear that point isn't meant to be a defense of their rankings because some are truly perplexing this year. Just simply adding to the overall discussion.

The bottom of the rankings can have a number of variations depending how the playoffs shake out. I tend to reward the most recent results most when its close (NorCal play).

St. Francis' win over Cardinal Newman and a close loss to Bear Creek in Division I was key in their ranking.

For SHC, they didn't make the playoffs based on criteria, but if they would have played a softer non-league by a game or two, I think they do damage in NorCal.

SHC beat Cardinal Newman and has two wins over SI, which beat D2 state champ Menlo (twice) and Division IV champ Oakland Tech.

SI lost to Miramonte in the Division I playoffs.

I think it is good chance if St. Francis and SI were in D2, they would have won a NorCal title title. Does that change the conversation?

The original post makes some good points and like I said, you can make a case for a number of teams in those last 4-5 spots. However, I think a similar case can be made for having those WCAL schools in there too.

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
I think it is good chance if St. Francis and SI were in D2, they would have won a NorCal title title. Does that change the conversation?

I'm not sure that it does. A lot of the teams that were listed could have won a NorCal title had they been in D2.

Remember, D2 this year was the #21 to #37 ranked teams in NorCal. And all were gone by the quarterfinals in D1.

I'm not sure that it does. A lot of the teams that were listed could have won a NorCal title had they been in D2.

Remember, D2 this year was the #21 to #37 ranked teams in NorCal. And all were gone by the quarterfinals in D1.

I don’t think it does either but I wonder if it changes perception for some when a team wins a title.

I don’t think it does either but I wonder if it changes perception for some when a team wins a title.

It does change people's perception when they win a title.

For example, Menlo ran the "gauntlet" of beating 5 solid teams in a 2 week span to win the state D2 title. That's not easy to do, and is an impressive feat. That doesn't mean they are better than any of the teams in D1 or the Open who didn't win a state championship, but I doubt many of them would have been able to close out the season like they did, even in D2. They got hot at the right time and definitely earned it, but weren't facing in theory the top 44 teams in the state (Top 20 in NorCal and top 24 in SoCal) to win their "State Championship".

think it is good chance if St. Francis and SI were in D2, they would have won a NorCal title title. Does that change the conversation?

You said that ranking are based on most recent results and thats a good starting point. Then how is SHC even in this conversation. Totally agree that if they played a little softer schedule they could be holding a trophy this year, BUT they didn't. I also hope that the get a little softer schedule for next year...they're a very good team!

THIS year, I'm not sure that winning a state championship outside of D1 or open would give any bump in ranking. Good question though!

It does change people's perception when they win a title.

For example, Menlo ran the "gauntlet" of beating 5 solid teams in a 2 week span to win the state D2 title. That's not easy to do, and is an impressive feat. That doesn't mean they are better than any of the teams in D1 or the Open who didn't win a state championship, but I doubt many of them would have been able to close out the season like they did, even in D2. They got hot at the right time and definitely earned it, but weren't facing in theory the top 44 teams in the state (Top 20 in NorCal and top 24 in SoCal) to win their "State Championship".

I agree with you @observer22. Pointing out what others may think

You said that ranking are based on most recent results and thats a good starting point. Then how is SHC even in this conversation. Totally agree that if they played a little softer schedule they could be holding a trophy this year, BUT they didn't. I also hope that the get a little softer schedule for next year...they're a very good team!

THIS year, I'm not sure that winning a state championship outside of D1 or open would give any bump in ranking. Good question though!

Fair point. I don’t think the bubble teams did much to top SHC’s regular season resume in their section and NorCal playoff performance.

The new, slavish emphasis on equity (the AYSO Syndrome if you will) tends to skew any post-season ratings discussion. The two OAL state titles in lower divisions make that abundantly clear. So does the Menlo School crown in Division II. The two strongest overall leagues (top to bottom) remain the WCAL and the WBAL (upper division only). These two (non-public) leagues combined have 30 state basketball titles between them since 1989.

Last edited:
WCAL schools: St. Ignatius, SHC, Presentation, Valley Christian, Mitty, St. Francis.

WBAL (upper division) schools: Pinewood, Menlo School, Eastside Prep, Woodside Priory, Sacred Heart Prep, Notre Dame (Belmont), Notre Dame (SJ).

Of those 13 schools, only one (Notre Dame-SJ), is clearly an inferior entry. The rest are either absolutely top-of-the-line or simply outstanding/strong. There are no public school leagues in NorCal that can approach the top-to-bottom combined strength of those two girls' basketball leagues.

And the results, through the decades, prove it.

WCAL schools: St. Ignatius, SHC, Presentation, Valley Christian, Mitty, St. Francis.

WBAL (upper division) schools: Pinewood, Menlo School, Eastside Prep, Woodside Priory, Sacred Heart Prep, Notre Dame (Belmont), Notre Dame (SJ).

Of those 13 schools, only one (Notre Dame-SJ), is clearly an inferior entry. The rest are either absolutely top-of-the-line or simply outstanding/strong. There are no public school leagues in NorCal that can approach the top-to-bottom combined strength of those two girls' basketball leagues.

WBAL Prep hasn't been relevant in state tourney play for quite some time. Woodside has been mostly recent. Menlo, since Paye has taken over has rebuilt them into a pretty solid program. ESP has been good since Donovan took over in mid 200's. Combined state titles is TOTALLY impressive and Prep's teams could have beaten almost every team Norcal has sent to a championship.

History coupled with recent success allows the WCAL to reign as one of the top teams in Norcal. But that isn't always the case. This year, I'd argue, was a down year for them.

I remember when the Big East reigned supreme in college basketball and even now, the ACC. But even teams that finished in the bottom half of the leagues were never in any rankings. It amazes me how much the respect the WCAL gets even though teams outside of Mitty didn't perform. I'm not saying teams in the WCAL are garbage (they clearly are good teams), but giving teams final rankings with their entire body of work is head scratching. Outside of a couple of teams, the WCAL had a cupcake of a preseason schedule.

Mitty Final Ranking 3
easily deserved-nuff said

St. Francis: 16-10. Final Ranking 17
Quality Wins: SHC, Woodside. Other than in league, did they play? They also got beat twice by presentation and Presentation isn't on this list.

Sacred Heart Cathedral: 9-13. Final Ranking 19
Their strength of schedule is stupid beyond belief, sitting at 28.9. They Lost a lot of games to good/great teams but not enough in the wins column to garner a ranking. Probably the most ridiculous raking I've seen on NCP since being a member years ago. That being said, they are probably the best 9 win team in the state.

St. Ignatius: 16-11. Final Ranking 20
Quality wins: Menlo, Tech,
Lost to Valley Christian twice, yet ranked ahead. First round Norcal exit.

EBAL had teams just as competitive
C-Let
Cal
SRV
Dublin
Amador Valley

WACC
BOD
Mt. Eden (good before best player broke her hand)
Berkeley
Piedmont
Alameda

Sierra
Folsom
Whitney
Oak Ridge
Del Oro

I'm sure I missed a couple of competitive leagues but the point is the league shouldn't give the ranking. SI, SHC, and SF are good programs. Teams that finished higher in league aren't even on this list. I remember West Coast schools always talking about East Coast bias when it came to rankings. WCAL has the same bias of Norcal hoops. AGAIN Good teams, but not sure the ranking fits the entire body of work. Look at it and tell me otherwise (with the exception of Mitty and SHC)

Was a fun season and regardless of what people are saying about next year, it can't come soon enough!

Only the top teams from those other leagues can compete with the teams in the WCAL on the year in and year out basis. BOD, C-LET and FOLSOM (the last 2-3 years). Every game in that league is a tough game. BOD hasn't lost a league game in years so that league can't be that tough. This year was a down year for the league, Mitty included and Mitty was still nationally ranked.

I think the reason for the SHC ranking late is that they had been playing well towards the end of the season when getting their pg back for the last few games. Only problem is the damage was already done with them losing so many games with her out. How do you show love to a Mt Eden team who's player broke her hand but don't show the same love to SHC who's best playmaker broke her foot?

Sounds like you should put together a tournament or showcase to prove your point! Match them up from top to bottom. That would make for some good basketball but I put my money on the WCAL teams.

Right and Notre Dame Belmont dropped out of the WCAL because they couldn't win a game!

WBAL Prep hasn't been relevant in state tourney play for quite some time. Woodside has been mostly recent. Menlo, since Paye has taken over has rebuilt them into a pretty solid program. ESP has been good since Donovan took over in mid 200's. Combined state titles is TOTALLY impressive and Prep's teams could have beaten almost every team Norcal has sent to a championship.

History coupled with recent success allows the WCAL to reign as one of the top teams in Norcal. But that isn't always the case. This year, I'd argue, was a down year for them.

Preps teams of the 90's would be a very tough match up for any of today's teams. Remember that the SHP lineups at one time or another had 5 D1 players. Those teams had 2 Patade All Americans. I don't think any team today can boast that. That was a tremendous 5 year run.

Preps teams of the 90's would be a very tough match up for any of today's teams. Remember that the SHP lineups at one time or another had 5 D1 players. Those teams had 2 Patade All Americans. I don't think any team today can boast that. That was a tremendous 5 year run.

O'Dowd's team with Bostic, Thomas, and Robinson would have given that team fits-I think they also had 5 bigtime d1 players. They were VERY good. Also, SMS 09-10 had Gray, Jerigbe (SP?) sisters and another player I can't think of.

Only the top teams from those other leagues can compete with the teams in the WCAL on the year in and year out basis. BOD, C-LET and FOLSOM (the last 2-3 years). Every game in that league is a tough game. BOD hasn't lost a league game in years so that league can't be that tough. This year was a down year for the league, Mitty included and Mitty was still nationally ranked.

I think the reason for the SHC ranking late is that they had been playing well towards the end of the season when getting their pg back for the last few games. Only problem is the damage was already done with them losing so many games with her out. How do you show love to a Mt Eden team who's player broke her hand but don't show the same love to SHC who's best playmaker broke her foot?

Sounds like you should put together a tournament or showcase to prove your point! Match them up from top to bottom. That would make for some good basketball but I put my money on the WCAL teams.

Only, and the ONLY reason I gave Mt. Eden love is because they actually made the playoffs and she broke her hand with 3 games left in the season...all their work was done. BOD lost in league this year and was close several times (OT with Mt. Eden and Alameda lost by 6) to losing games. EBAL used to be a loaded league with CLET, Amador (when they were relevant), Monte Vista, and Dublin. WACC Also was good with BOD, Berkley (when berkeley was berkeley), Alameda was solid, and Castro Valley. Always an underrated league that doesn't get as much respect as it deserves.

I would love for there to be cross league matchups. WCAL vs. WACC or EBAL or any of the leagues I mentioned. I don't think it'd be as dominate as you think, but who knows who played well that day. Again, I'm not saying the league is awful, just bias because of the top teams (traditionally) with Mitty and SHC dominating and getting the state championships the last 10-15 years.

Had Mitty played for the CIF Open Division crown, win or lose, we might not be having this discussion.

O'Dowd's team with Bostic, Thomas, and Robinson would have given that team fits-I think they also had 5 bigtime d1 players. They were VERY good. Also, SMS 09-10 had Gray, Jerigbe (SP?) sisters and another player I can't think of.

The SHP program won 80 games in a row at one point. One of those teams actually had seven DI scholarship kids on the roster. Most impressively, those teams didn't press. They were half-court units that featured superb preparation and execution. They were the antithesis of today's run-and-gun AAU-bred outfits. Those SHP teams would be even more dominant in today's world because of that.

Had Mitty played for the CIF Open Division crown, win or lose, we might not be having this discussion.

I think this would be a discussion regardless if Mitty won or not. Even though Mitty was number 1 in Norcal all season, a championship still doesn't change how the other teams performed over the course of the entire season.

The only thing that might have hurt those great SHP teams was lack of depth. They played five kids pretty much from start to finish ...

But that was a damn good five ...

The only thing that might have hurt those great SHP teams was lack of depth. They played five kids pretty much from start to finish ...

But that was a damn good five ...

Their style of play pretty much eliminated the need for deep rosters. But, usually, they went seven or eight deep in terms of quality prep players. They didn't substitute much because they didn't have to.

I remember at the end of that run Renee Robinson broke Compolindo’s press by herself! She just motioned her teammates to get away and broke through Campo’s press with ease. I believe Campo was the best team in Norcal that year. Robinson’s senior year I think.

Robinson, who played at Virginia and in the WNBA, didn't even start for SHP as a frosh. She came off the bench. That gives you an indication of how strong that incredible unit was back in the day.

Only, and the ONLY reason I gave Mt. Eden love is because they actually made the playoffs and she broke her hand with 3 games left in the season...all their work was done. BOD lost in league this year and was close several times (OT with Mt. Eden and Alameda lost by 6) to losing games. EBAL used to be a loaded league with CLET, Amador (when they were relevant), Monte Vista, and Dublin. WACC Also was good with BOD, Berkley (when berkeley was berkeley), Alameda was solid, and Castro Valley. Always an underrated league that doesn't get as much respect as it deserves.

I would love for there to be cross league matchups. WCAL vs. WACC or EBAL or any of the leagues I mentioned. I don't think it'd be as dominate as you think, but who knows who played well that day. Again, I'm not saying the league is awful, just bias because of the top teams (traditionally) with Mitty and SHC dominating and getting the state championships the last 10-15 years.

Now let me ask you a serious question. Do you really think Mt Eden is a better team than SHC? Looking at their schedule the toughest team they played was BOD. You gave the love because the work was already done but if a team doesn't have arguably their best player for the majority of the season and still competes with the top tier teams why wouldn't they get any love? Do you think if Mt. Eden with their team played the same schedule as SHC they would win the same amount of games?

We can't talk about what the EBAL used to be with out talking about what the WCAL used to be. I don't think any league has 2 teams as decorated as Mitty and SHC over the last (let's keep it recent) 15 years. Top to bottom the WCAL is a beast. St. Francis was second to last in league and would be no less than second in the EBAL. I might be able to make that argument with any team in the WCAL. That's on ALL levels lower included. I hope someone reading this thread can put it together.

Playoffs:

BOD aside being the only team in this league that can compete with the WCAL teams.....

Piedmont lost to Lowell who SHC had to stop scheduling because the average margin of victory was 40+.

Mt. Eden lost to James Logan who wouldn't stand a chance against any team in the WCAL.

Berkeley was young but decent. They beat a young SI team which was probably their best win on the season.

Do we even need to discuss Alameda and Amador Valley against any WCAL teams?

Last edited:
Now let me ask you a serious question. Do you really think Mt Eden is a better team than SHC? Looking at their schedule the toughest team they played was BOD. You gave the love because the work was already done but if a team doesn't have arguably their best player for the majority of the season and still competes with the top tier teams why wouldn't they get any love? Do you think if Mt. Eden with their team played the same schedule as SHC they would win the same amount of games?

We can't talk about what the EBAL used to be with out talking about what the WCAL used to be. I don't think any league has 2 teams as decorated as Mitty and SHC over the last (let's keep it recent) 15 years. Top to bottom the WCAL is a beast. St. Francis was second to last in league and would be no less than second in the EBAL. I might be able to make that argument with any team in the WCAL. That's on ALL levels lower included. I hope someone reading this thread can put it together.

Playoffs:

BOD aside being the only team in this league that can compete with the WCAL teams.....

Piedmont lost to Lowell who SHC had to stop scheduling because the average margin of victory was 40+.

Mt. Eden lost to James Logan who wouldn't stand a chance against any team in the WCAL.

Berkeley was young but decent. They beat a young SI team which was probably their best win on the season.

Do we even need to discuss Alameda and Amador Valley against any WCAL teams?

What are you talking about? LOL Berkeley beat SI!!! but I guess they'd finish last in the WCAL. lol I"m not saying even with Mt. Edens best player could they beat SHC. SHC is a GOOD team. I've said that and never said that M'tE was better. Outside of Legue, and outside of Mitty, who did anyone play?

SF: Mills, seaside, aaragon?
SI: Campo, Aptos, Lincoln, winsdor, Tera Nova (LOL)?
VC: San Benito, Wilcox, Leland, Tera Nova (must be the WCAL whooping block)??
Pres: Miramonte, Vanden, Aaragon, Milpitas (a little better)?

Listen, I know you're WCAL allegiance and that's our bias-and that's okay, but in all fairness, there's some teams from the EBAL, WACC, and from the Sierra League that would be competitive (COMPETITIVE) in the WCAL and vice versa. Cal and Oakridge beat VC-so I guess they'd probably finish last in the WCAL. just me being sarcastic...again, it would be cool to see cross league matchups and I'm guessing each year it would be different with the exception of the top team in WCAL. In the last 20+ years they have been the gold standard of leagues with the most championships-I'm not saying they're crappy. Just overrated in the teams outside of 1-2, in some years...

In fairness, outside of Mitty, 2018-19 was definitely something of a down year for the WCAL. Let's concede that. But, since the girls' WCAL was formed, the league has indeed been outstanding overall. And, right behind the WCAL is its little sister, the WBAL.

RE: WCAL
Mitty in Norcal Open
VC, SF, Pres, SI all in Norcal D1
SHC didn't qualify by 1 game, but would have also been in D1 Norcal.

That is every team in the WCAL in the top 20 (6 Open and 14 D1) in Norcal according to the seeding in norcal playoffs. And their is only 1 team in WCAL that never gets any credit from the people/persons who do the rankings or talk about WCAL teams.

No other league can say that......so down year or not/ win or lose in Norcal the WCAL teams obviously did something right.
All the teams deserve credit and so does the WCAL...those are facts even in a so called down year for the league.

The other leagues mentioned had good seasons this year, but year in and year out the consistent excellence from all the WCAL teams cannot be denied.
There are only 6 teams in March that can be called state champions. Congrats to the OAL for having two of them.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Mitty in Norcal Open

That is every team in the WCAL in the top 20 (6 Open and 14 D1) in Norcal according to the seeding in norcal playoffs. And their is only 1 team in WCAL that never gets any credit from the people/persons who do the rankings or talk about WCAL teams.

No other league can say that......so down year or not/ win or lose in Norcal the WCAL teams obviously did something right.
All the teams deserve credit and so does the WCAL...those are facts even in a so called down year for the league.

The other leagues mentioned had good seasons this year, but year in and year out the consistent excellence from all the WCAL teams cannot be denied.
There are only 6 teams in March that can be called state champions. Congrats to the OAL for having two of them.

obviously did something? What did they do? Every team in the CCS Open Gets free ride to the dance. Every team in WCAL got into norcals even if they lost in the first round-then lost in the first round of norcals! It's probably true that if they were in the regular brackets, they probably still would advance, but CCS has the weakest public school system out of the three big sections (CCS, NCS, SJS)-overall. WCAL is an amazing league, again, not saying it isn't.

My biased opinion . The SMS team with 2 McDonald all Americans , Chelsey Gray and Afure Jemerigbe and 5 other D-1 players , including Ali Gibson, Alle Moreno and Kendal Kenyon who all went on and had great college careers was the best team I’ve seen since 2000. Maxpreps named them National Champions.

Mitty in Norcal Open

While the WCAL is indeed annually respected as one of the top leagues in the state, they did have, for them, a down year this season.

No other league is structured so that every team can advance. And no other section has so few good public school teams. And it feeds on itself as they continue to draw top talent away from the CCS publics, in large part due to the excellence of the WCAL.

Even if every team in the EBAL was in the top 20, only the top 4 would be able to advance and only if they beat very good teams along the way in the playoffs. Cal High beat Valley Christian (the 2nd place team in the WCAL this year), but didn’t make NorCals as they lost in the NCS playoffs. The WCAL teams are guaranteed to advance as long as they are at least at .500. So pointing out that they all advanced really isn’t accomplishing all that much. They have very unique structure that is not seen anywhere else in NorCal.

My biased opinion . The SMS team with 2 McDonald all Americans , Chelsey Gray and Afure Jemerigbe and 5 other D-1 players , including Ali Gibson, Alle Moreno and Kendal Kenyon who all went on and had great college careers was the best team I’ve seen since 2000. Maxpreps named them National Champions.
I would say the 2007/2008 SHC team was just as good if not better. SHC went 33-0 and won the "National Championship", also beating this same SMS team by 1.

It goes in cycles. There was a time the OAL was really good (a long time ago); there was a time the EBAL was strong top to bottom; there was one year the DFAL was really good.

The WCAL has consistently been the best league, year in and year out, no question. Others tend to come and go ...

It wasn't always like that in CCS.... There was no open division and guaranteed norcal bids until 2013. What you are saying is correct CCS is unlike any other section. It is dominated by private schools. Again it doesn't take away from how good the WCAL teams are year in and year out top to bottom

It wasn't always like that in CCS.... There was no open division and guaranteed norcal bids until 2013. What you are saying is correct CCS is unlike any other section. It is dominated by private schools. Again it doesn't take away from how good the WCAL teams are year in and year out top to bottom

The NCS is also dominated by private schools (Clet, BOD, Salesian, CN, SMB to name a few) who can hang with the WCAL teams, but there are also always a few solid public schools that can give them a run for their money. Heritage, Miramonte, SRV this year, and schools like Campo, Monte Vista, Deer Valley & Dublin in the recent past. The NCS and especially the SJS are much larger sections, and the talent is not as concentrated at just a few schools.

I would say the 2007/2008 SHC team was just as good if not better. SHC went 33-0 and won the "National Championship", also beating this same SMS team by 1.
They beat them when sms were underclassmen. SMS beat them when Chelsey and Afure were juniors 2009 . SMS lost when they were sophmores by one point . Their senior year SMS won the state championship game 89-41 in a running clock game .

I’d like to nominate the SJS’s mighty SFL for a super down year. Top two teams, Folsom and Oakridge, exited in first round of section play to teams that didn’t even make it to Norcal. DO and Whitney did a little better but only Whitney made Norcal in D2 and had a first round exit there.

So I will rank the WCAL ahead of the SFL this year for sure.

As for last year, Valley Christian D2 Norcal finalist, D1Norcal Pres, St.Francis and SHC in the final 4.

What are you talking about? LOL Berkeley beat SI!!! but I guess they'd finish last in the WCAL. lol I"m not saying even with Mt. Edens best player could they beat SHC. SHC is a GOOD team. I've said that and never said that M'tE was better. Outside of Legue, and outside of Mitty, who did anyone play?

SF: Mills, seaside, aaragon?
SI: Campo, Aptos, Lincoln, winsdor, Tera Nova (LOL)?
VC: San Benito, Wilcox, Leland, Tera Nova (must be the WCAL whooping block)??
Pres: Miramonte, Vanden, Aaragon, Milpitas (a little better)?

Listen, I know you're WCAL allegiance and that's our bias-and that's okay, but in all fairness, there's some teams from the EBAL, WACC, and from the Sierra League that would be competitive (COMPETITIVE) in the WCAL and vice versa. Cal and Oakridge beat VC-so I guess they'd probably finish last in the WCAL. just me being sarcastic...again, it would be cool to see cross league matchups and I'm guessing each year it would be different with the exception of the top team in WCAL. In the last 20+ years they have been the gold standard of leagues with the most championships-I'm not saying they're crappy. Just overrated in the teams outside of 1-2, in some years...

I noted the SI win for Berkeley! The thing about the WCAL is unless you have some experienced players (SENIORS) or the talent and are ready to play a tough pre-season schedule you shouldn't load up because the league is tough as it is. Every team in the WCAL year in and out is a top 25 team. So when you look at it in league alone they are playing 5 top 25 teams. The only top 25 team in the EBAL that is a top 25 team is BOD. Otherwise you run into the issue that SHC had this year. Rebuilding playing a tough schedule and missing the playoffs because the league is tougher than any other league. BOD could not win a game in the preseason and know they are going to make the playoffs because the league isn't tough.

Another thing you have to take into consideration is the familiarity of the teams in the league. It's easy to sneak up on a team in the pre-season that doesn't know you inside and out. Same way Dublin snuck up on Cardinal Newman or Oakland beating BOD. Let's also look at how many kids play college basketball from these leagues. How many kids from the EBAL are playing college ball right now? The WCAL has at least 20.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT