ADVERTISEMENT

Time ran out in Chico

Jan 7, 2018
Tuesday night at PV’s Varley gym. with the shot clock at zero and the game clock just under one second, a Whitney player had just received a pass under his basket. Not one of the three officials were looking at the shot clock, or you would hope that a whistle would blow to stop play and most likely send the game to overtime. But instead, the Whitney player caught the ball, jumped up, and made a one-footer…all after the shot clock hit zero…but before the end of the game buzzer sounded. A game that may have had a different ending in overtime, ended on a what if, and ended PV’s season in a way that will be tough to swallow for many players, families, and fans.

Tuesday night at PV’s Varley gym. with the shot clock at zero and the game clock just under one second, a Whitney player had just received a pass under his basket. Not one of the three officials were looking at the shot clock, or you would hope that a whistle would blow to stop play and most likely send the game to overtime. But instead, the Whitney player caught the ball, jumped up, and made a one-footer…all after the shot clock hit zero…but before the end of the game buzzer sounded. A game that may have had a different ending in overtime, ended on a what if, and ended PV’s season in a way that will be tough to swallow for many players, families, and fans.
That’s tough and even worse is that was a home game. Not suppose to happen with you guys keeping the clock.
Great program up their so I’m sure you will be back .

Reactions: M.C. fan
I would be more concerned how you allow a guy to get the ball a foot away from the hoop with a second left in the game

People running the clocks were not the issue. The gym was so loud you couldn’t hear the shot clock buzzer go off a full second before the shot was released (from the video footage I saw).

Refs blew that call.... shot clock expired before shot was taken. Should be PV ball 1.2 seconds on digital clock. PV I'm sorry that happened.

If you look again, the game clock started before the ball was even inbounded! Talk about home cookin there! So turn about is fair play I guess.

It was a bang bang play there - hard to criticize this in real-time so I can't blame the referees who didn't have the option to review. Also the narrow discrepancy between the shot clock and game clock possibly threw off the refs - not trying to make excuses for them but that's a variable as well. .7 seconds difference between the two.

Reactions: observer22
It was a bang bang play there - hard to criticize this in real-time so I can't blame the referees who didn't have the option to review. Also the narrow discrepancy between the shot clock and game clock possibly threw off the refs - not trying to make excuses for them but that's a variable as well. .7 seconds difference between the two.
Look at the video you will see two refs, one baseline and the other at the point of entry where player inbounded ball. One has clock, one has play. Clearly the lack of communication prior to the play evokes blame onto the officials. It is clear that this falls only one direction. We are Humans and we make mistakes. PV should have went to OT, no doubt.

Look at the video you will see two refs, one baseline and the other at the point of entry where player inbounded ball. One has clock, one has play. Clearly the lack of communication prior to the play evokes blame onto the officials. It is clear that this falls only one direction. We are Humans and we make mistakes. PV should have went to OT, no doubt.
the trail and slot officials have the shot clock expiration. the lead official has the match up on him which would be his sole responsibility on this play. however since it is such a close timing play regarding game and shot, all can have an opinion.

That’s brutal. Clearly expired. Good video thx for sharing
My brother’s high school career ended on a play just like this in a playoff game BITD. You never forget these things. It’s a tough call in real time to be sure. Obviously you want every call to be correct, but I’d much rather have the refs error on the side of giving them an extra .03 seconds than blowing the whistle .03 early and a made shot should have counted.

All officals are responsible for shot clock. Need to know there is a 1.2 difference between game clock and shot clock. Offical opposite table is responsible for game clock.

If you look again, the game clock started before the ball was even inbounded! Talk about home cookin there! So turn about is fair play I guess.
Pause the video again 4.7 on inbounded hand. You can pause again on receiver hand at 4.7. So no
Also 1.3 when shot clock runs out and .8 when ball released

Last edited:
Looked at it, paused it, all that stuff...

If there were replay, it would have been reviewed and overturned, I'd say... But it was a real bang-bang play in real time, can't blame the refs for missing one this close.

As said above, defend the paint, the timing wouldn't have mattered.

Reactions: observer22
to start the play you have 4 showing on the shot clock which, IIRC, is actually 4+ seconds. The clock will read zero before the it actually expires so without a visual or audible cue it is impossible to tell when a violation occurs. The ball is clearly in hand at 0.8 and clearly out at 0.6. AT first glance I thought it was an obvious violation (with the benefit of being able to pause the vid) but I don't think it is conclusive given all of data.

I've seen this happen a few times over the years in games where the shot clock is a second or so ahead of the play clock and the refs miss the shot clock violation and count the bucket. Albeit not to end a game/season though (end of qtr usually).

Very unfortunate.

Went to CIF Rules site and found this…

“If the shot clock shows 00 but the horn has not sounded, time has not expired.”

So, seeing that, then the shot was legal…. Unless it was so loud in there nobody heard said horn.

Of course, this brings up the question:

If a shot-clock buzzer makes a sound, and nobody can hear it, did it make a sound? :)

PV Head Coach Tim Keating is such a classy guy. Check out his post game comments https://www.chicoer.com/2023/03/01/...-end-on-buzzer-beater-in-cif-d-ii-opener/amp/
As was the senior player's comments class acts no doubt. I assume the player referenced Luke Kremer is Kevin Kremer's little brother. Kevin was a beast in high school and was integral to their state championship win against Notre Dame (Riverside) a few years ago. Looks like he last played at Chaminade in 2021/22 season after transferring from Utah. Wonder if he ran into injury issues cause I don't see him listed anywhere as playing this year. Great high school player looked like a man against boys in high school.

a few comments
1. Horn on a lot of HS shot clocks are faint and hard to hear
2. Since the shot clock has no tenths, when you see 0 it is somewhere between 0.00 and 0.9. Shot clock expires at horn
3 When inbounding ball all 3 officials must be aware of the difference between game clock and shot clock. Before inbound they should be signaling each other that they are at end of shot clock so they won’t be surprised.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT