ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Sacramento area teams since 1981

Amttbo

Superstar
Jul 27, 2011
Hoops is almost here, so let's start it off with a top 5 Sac area teams since 1981. Criteria that I'm using is wins versus nationally ranked teams and how deep u went in the state playoffs as well as competition u played in state playoffs. This is objective and open to all opinions. Let's try and celebrate all the great teams that have come through the capital city and lifted us up. Let's try not to tear down if that's at all possible on this board.

My top 5:

1) Jesuit - 92-94. They beat multiple nationally ranked teams. Had one season where their only losses were to number 1 ranked team in the Nation St. Anthony's and Crenshaw in State Championship.
2) Oak Ridge - 2004/2005. Had an amazing playoff run winning 7 of 8 playoff games by double figures. They knocked off SRV's best team ever in Norcal semis and then beat Jeremy Lin's #1 ranked Palo Alto team by 20 in Norcal championship and sealing the deal with arguably the biggest upset in state championship history beating #5 team in nation and national powerhouse Mater Dei by 16 pts.
3) Sheldon - 2012/2013. Probably the most talented individually of all these teams. Set a standard for the modern era of Sacramento basketball. State Runner up in 2012 to Mater Dei and then a Norcal open championship runner losing to Aaron Gordon and Mitty.
4) Capital - 2013/2014. Followed Sheldons blueprint in playing a national schedule and beating top 10 teams Nationally. If it wasn't for Bishop O'Dowd, they would have been in the Open division State championship game. Only Losses were in Championship game of National division of MaxPreps invitational without their starting big. 2 losses to Bod and a loss to Centenial in Championship of Sac high tournament. Eventually losing to Bishop O'Dowd in NorCal Open championship.
5) Foothill - 2002/2003. Beat a very good Harvard Westlake team in the Division 3 state championship.

Can't wait to see some other lists. Remember, this is a top 5 team list. This isn't about individual players.

Kennedy High
1990-1991
Yogi Stewart and Company
They were very good.
Better than Sheldon HS 12-13
Better than Capital Christian 13-14
Because they had a 6'11 Pro on their team Yogi Stewart.
Neither Sheldon or Capital Christian had an NBA guy, nonetheless
a Big, a 6'11 pro.
You can put them behind Jesuit 92-94 whom was loaded.

You have to include the 98-99 Grant team led by Jameel Pugh and Ron Dotsy and Geral Lowe. They crushed every team by 20 plus during the playoffs before losing to Tyson Chandler and Dominguez. I think they only lost 2 games that year. That team would beat teams 2-5 Amttbo's list.

I remember both of those teams. Grant had a great playoff run that year. What quality wins did Kennedy have that they deserve to be on the list? Did they make it to Norcal finals against St. Joe's that year? Did Grant or Kennedy have any top 20 wins against nationally ranked teams or even top 5 California state ranked wins? Doesn't matter how talented you are if you can't win the important games.

I would rank Grant 98-99 ahead of Kennedy 90-91. Also, I still don't think either of those teams were as talented as Sheldon 2013 team. Imho

Grant beat St Joe's by 30 that year, when St Joe's had Blandon Ferguson and Justin Davis. At the time St Joe's was a top 10 national team.

That is a great list! Well done. I was at every one of these teams games.
Don't undersell that Oak Ridge team. They had 3 D1 players and arguably one of the best players ever to come out of the SJS in Ryan Anderson. Not many people have had the sort of pro careers he's had. One of the most prolific shooters in NBA. They also had Ryan Moya who went on to play Tight End at UCLA but seriously could have played college hoops. There PG started at University of Hawaii as well. They embarrassed MD at Taylor King.

The Grant team might have been the most athletic but they weren't well coached and Pugh was highly overrated. Jesuit definitely the best team and that Foothill game against Westlake might have been the most exciting game I've ever been at. Wasn't Wall the coach their? They had 2 great guards on that team. Kirby and somebody else who went to play at OU I think.

That is a great list! Well done. I was at every one of these teams games.
Don't undersell that Oak Ridge team. They had 3 D1 players and arguably one of the best players ever to come out of the SJS in Ryan Anderson. Not many people have had the sort of pro careers he's had. One of the most prolific shooters in NBA. They also had Ryan Moya who went on to play Tight End at UCLA but seriously could have played college hoops. There PG started at University of Hawaii as well. They embarrassed MD at Taylor King.

The Grant team might have been the most athletic but they weren't well coached and Pugh was highly overrated. Jesuit definitely the best team and that Foothill game against Westlake might have been the most exciting game I've ever been at. Wasn't Wall the coach their? They had 2 great guards on that team. Kirby and somebody else who went to play at OU I think.

LL- Grant may have not have been well coached but, blowing out a well coached, loaded St Joe's team says something. The Dominguez game was pretty close too.

I don't remember St Joes' being that good (at least on a national level) post Jason Kidd era. Don't get me wrong they have had some great teams but I just don't recall a national level type team.

I really like the original list. Well done.

Chris Walker played for that Foothill team now an assistant at Sac St

I don't remember St Joes' being that good (at least on a national level) post Jason Kidd era. Don't get me wrong they have had some great teams but I just don't recall a national level type team.

I really like the original list. Well done.

The Ray Young led team was top 5 Nationally

Hoops is almost here, so let's start it off with a top 5 Sac area teams since 1981. Criteria that I'm using is wins versus nationally ranked teams and how deep u went in the state playoffs as well as competition u played in state playoffs. This is objective and open to all opinions. Let's try and celebrate all the great teams that have come through the capital city and lifted us up. Let's try not to tear down if that's at all possible on this board.

My top 5:

1) Jesuit - 92-94. They beat multiple nationally ranked teams. Had one season where their only losses were to number 1 ranked team in the Nation St. Anthony's and Crenshaw in State Championship.
2) Oak Ridge - 2004/2005. Had an amazing playoff run winning 7 of 8 playoff games by double figures. They knocked off SRV's best team ever in Norcal semis and then beat Jeremy Lin's #1 ranked Palo Alto team by 20 in Norcal championship and sealing the deal with arguably the biggest upset in state championship history beating #5 team in nation and national powerhouse Mater Dei by 16 pts.
3) Sheldon - 2012/2013. Probably the most talented individually of all these teams. Set a standard for the modern era of Sacramento basketball. State Runner up in 2012 to Mater Dei and then a Norcal open championship runner losing to Aaron Gordon and Mitty.
4) Capital - 2013/2014. Followed Sheldons blueprint in playing a national schedule and beating top 10 teams Nationally. If it wasn't for Bishop O'Dowd, they would have been in the Open division State championship game. Only Losses were in Championship game of National division of MaxPreps invitational without their starting big. 2 losses to Bod and a loss to Centenial in Championship of Sac high tournament. Eventually losing to Bishop O'Dowd in NorCal Open championship.
5) Foothill - 2002/2003. Beat a very good Harvard Westlake team in the Division 3 state championship.

Can't wait to see some other lists. Remember, this is a top 5 team list. This isn't about individual players.

I have seen every team since the late 80's and although not a bad list definitely not super accurate. I never saw the Bill Cartwright teams but have heard they were unreal. I am not an old school nostalgic guy who thinks that teams and players from the past are always better then the present but in the case great high school teams in Sac the past had the best teams. Although there is more talent now individually in the area now the kids are spread out at 2-3 x as many high schools. Also the best played the best back then, there was no need for the open division (which is awful) because everyone played d1!! St Joes wasn't in d5, O'dowd wasn't in D4 etc.....everyone who was legit played d1.

1-Jesuit 93 Led by State player of the year Ike Fontaine this team was ranked #3 in Country and #1 in state all year. Had 3 wins over top 20 national teams and only loss prior to state finals was against national # 1 St Anthonys.

2-Jesuit 92 Loaded roster with JJ Polk, Ike Fontaine, Josh King and Chris Griffen. Lost in d1 norcal finals to Jason Kidd team by 3 which went on to crush Mater Dei the next week by 30+. St Joes that year was the best norcal team I have ever seen so that tells you how good the Jesuit team was.

3-Kennedy 92 33-2 that year with both loses to Jesuit. Unreal thing was because of power ratings back then they played Jesuit in section semis and didn't even advance norcals. Yogi Stewart 6-10 and Chris Griffen 6-9 were total freaks and they were well coached and had a good supporting cast. For those who never saw Yogi play he was a beast. Think DJ Wilson except taller, bigger more athletic and literally 5x tougher.

4-Oak Ridge 05 Although this team lost 6-7 games and wasn't great during the first half of the season they played at an extremely high level through the playoffs and was smothering it's opponents with an active 2-3 zone. I was able to watch them dismantle a very good Mater Dei team in the d2 state finals game. Very balanced offensive group and Ryan Anderson was starting to develop into the monster he would become.

My top 5:

1) Kennedy 80-81 Ernest Lee, Mike Westbrook, Karlwin Matthew, Ryan Miramoto, team had size, athletism and Ernest Lee.

2) Jesuit 91-92- good team, nice size and played well together. (Polk, Fontaine,King)

3) Sac High 05-06- Galloway at 6'7 playing the PG spot, with Fred Ellis and the young Chase Tapley off the bench. 5 or 6 Div 1 players off that team; they had speed, size and athletes. They had pieces to beat Oak Ridge.

4) Oak Ridge 04-05 - Ryan was nice and was surround with very competitive players; Hiram and Ryan were players; Browning transferring over helped but there were some other role players that would flat out get after you.

5) Sheldon 10-11 - team was loaded, talent top to bottom, athletes, speed, size. Nelson, Eaton, Kyi, Williams and Allen, too much for area kids to handle.

Fletch, I was not around to see early 80s teams but I trust your opinion. I agree with you on sac hi as well they have been beyond loaded at times. I would take a Galloway-Tapley backcourt over a Williams-Allen Sheldon backcourt any day of the week. You guys should check out KG YouTube stuff he is having a nice career and making some real money in Europe. Very unique 6-6 pass first athletic point guard who was a jumpshot away from the league.

QUOTE="Coach FJ, post: 56642, member: 56"]1) Kennedy 80-81 Ernest Lee, Mike Westbrook, Karlwin Matthew, Ryan Miramoto, team had size, athletism and Ernest Lee.

2) Jesuit 91-92- good team, nice size and played well together. (Polk, Fontaine,King)

3) Sac High 05-06- Galloway at 6'7 playing the PG spot, with Fred Ellis and the young Chase Tapley off the bench. 5 or 6 Div 1 players off that team; they had speed, size and athletes. They had pieces to beat Oak Ridge.

4) Oak Ridge 04-05 - Ryan was nice and was surround with very competitive players; Hiram and Ryan were players; Browning transferring over helped but there were some other role players that would flat out get after you.

5) Sheldon 10-11 - team was loaded, talent top to bottom, athletes, speed, size. Nelson, Eaton, Kyi, Williams and Allen, too much for area kids to handle.[/QUOTE]

OK, I will bite. This is a good thread with lots of great opinions. Let me first say that I am biased so my list will be a little biased. If I read this list correctly, it is the best team not the most talented.

1-Oak Ridge 05 - Definitely not the most talented on the list, we only had 2 D1 basketball guys LL, but results are results and they were the best team not the most talented team. Very good defensive team that won a state championship against a national power and won convincingly. We made very good teams look bad. We only lost 4 games that year not 6 or 7 as 27-0 stated and we were missing key players in all 4 losses.
2- Jesuit 93 - As talented as any team Sac has ever had with solid coaching. Easy choice for #1 team if they had a championship ring
3- Jesuit 92 - lost to St. Joe's and JKidd in norcal finals. St. Joe's goes on to beat MD by 18.
4- Sheldon 2013 - I agree with amttbo, Arguably the most talented team ever. State Championship Runner up followed by first year open division Norcal championship runner up. Final Four Open division in State.
5- Capital Christian - Ridiculous pre-season schedule knocking off Sac High 3 times, Campolindo, #10 nationally Etiwanda then followed that up the next night beating Westchester. Norcal Open division Championship runner up and final four open division in the state with Mater Dei beating Etiwanda in Double OT and Bishop O'Dowd beating Capital.

If this list is based on most talented teams, Sac High would have multiple teams on this list and Oak Ridge would be much further down. Kennedy's team with Yogi was ridiculous and that 98/99 Grant team was loaded as well.

I believe Elk grove led by Greg Gruich,Jeff platt and Dave Wolber beat the 81 Kennedy Cougars. Elk Grove went on to lose to Nevada Union in the Finals. Wasn't Brian Broadway also on the Kennedy team

What about the 81-82 Kennedy team? I believe they were undefeated until losing to St. Mary's in the playoffs? No mention of the 82-83 Highlands team with Sean Chambers (undefeated through section play)? Did Brian Broadway go to Kennedy or Burbank? Also, there was a Burbank team with Vic Minniefield, Wil Tatum and Chris Meeks that was pretty damn good.

As you guys know I've watched a lot of hoops. We've had some great teams and individual talent as well. Some kids have transitioned better at the next level and others not so much. Look at Sheldon for one. Great teams but Williams, Allen, Nelson, and Eaton haven't done anything in college. You could argue Manning has had the best career at AF.

The best team I've ever seen though comes from S.CAL. Artesia High School came up and beat a very good St Mary's of Stockton team by a huge margin. That St Mary's team was loaded too. I think they had 2 or 3 D1 kids. Artesia was 33-1 that year and #1 in nation.

Artestia
James Harden- Probably the greatest player ever to wear an ASU uniform and a legit NBA MVP candidate.
Derek Glasser- Great Pac 12 PG at ASU. I believe he holds assist records at ASU. Highly underrated.
Renardo Sydney- 6"10 soph. Was the best soph in the country and if he didn't have a weight problem would be in pro's. Played at Miss State.
Malik Story- 6"6 guard. Had a ride to USC but switch to IU and later transferred to Nevada.

OK, I will bite. This is a good thread with lots of great opinions. Let me first say that I am biased so my list will be a little biased. If I read this list correctly, it is the best team not the most talented.

1-Oak Ridge 05 - Definitely not the most talented on the list, we only had 2 D1 basketball guys LL, but results are results and they were the best team not the most talented team. Very good defensive team that won a state championship against a national power and won convincingly. We made very good teams look bad. We only lost 4 games that year not 6 or 7 as 27-0 stated and we were missing key players in all 4 losses.
2- Jesuit 93 - As talented as any team Sac has ever had with solid coaching. Easy choice for #1 team if they had a championship ring
3- Jesuit 92 - lost to St. Joe's and JKidd in norcal finals. St. Joe's goes on to beat MD by 18.
4- Sheldon 2013 - I agree with amttbo, Arguably the most talented team ever. State Championship Runner up followed by first year open division Norcal championship runner up. Final Four Open division in State.
5- Capital Christian - Ridiculous pre-season schedule knocking off Sac High 3 times, Campolindo, #10 nationally Etiwanda then followed that up the next night beating Westchester. Norcal Open division Championship runner up and final four open division in the state with Mater Dei beating Etiwanda in Double OT and Bishop O'Dowd beating Capital.

If this list is based on most talented teams, Sac High would have multiple teams on this list and Oak Ridge would be much further down. Kennedy's team with Yogi was ridiculous and that 98/99 Grant team was loaded as well.

JZJ, i think that Capital team would have taken some loses in the SVC in 05

Also that Oak Ridge team with the Wigham twins was pretty good too.

@Coach FJ,
I agree. I think people underestimated the SVC back then. Your Lancers were loaded from 03-06.

The capital team really didn't have any superstars. What they had was just a really good mix of players that made up an elite team. When you have guards like Marcelas, UC, and Justice, it gives you great flexiblility on what you can do defensively. DJ brought some length that always helps. Tyler brought stability and leadership and we had something that no one else had and that was a 6'5 285 pound beast. It was a difficult team to play against for every team we played except O'Dowd. They were on another level. Capital loses to them 10 out of 10 games. Capital matched up better against Etiwanda and Mater Dei than they did BOD. It was a great year. Would have been nice to play Mater Dei in State Championship. No stopping Stanley though! Only player in the history of California to win 4 Straight State Championships. I don't think that will ever happen again.

Coach J

Brian Broadway went to Kennedy. His twin sisters went to Burbank and I believe we're cheerleaders .

You forgot Folsom 2013 team. Went to state title game, nearly pulled it off.

That team was awesome....

Sheldon....lol

That Folsom team isn't in this group. Good team but not standing the test of time like the ones above.

You forgot Folsom 2013 team. Went to state title game, nearly pulled it off.

That team was awesome....

Sheldon....lol

That Folsom team was very good, but they didn't play in the open division that year. 2014 team was better than 2013. They made it to the open division semi finals and lost to a vertually unbeatable bod team. I have never met coach wall, but a good coaching friend of mine speaks very well of him. Very good team and good coaching is fun to watch.

Grant beat St Joe's by 30 that year, when St Joe's had Blandon Ferguson and Justin Davis. At the time St Joe's was a top 10 national team.

Not 98-99. Ray Young/Nate Murase/Rene Jacques/Hondre Brewer graduated. That's the entire backcourt, the franchise and the 7 foot shot blocker all D1 players. There wasn't much of a load up either going into 98-99. Davis at the 4 and Ferguson moving into the starting lineup was it for any D1 material on the 98-99 squad. There was a big drop off from the nationally ranked team led by Young to the 98-99 squad.

I am not going to dull Grant's ranking, but just setting the record straight that the 98-99 St. Joe's Pilots were far from being the national top 10 team the previous season. Detailed look at the roster:

http://www.socalhoops.tierranet.com/archive/prepnotes/1098/alam1020.htm

Attbo your right . The 2014-2015 team was better. The 2013 team played a very weak schedule., overall delta was down that year. The quality teams JW North, Moreau and Bosco they lost to.
Personally i know the point guard from another Folsom team that i feel was better. They were led by Tony Johnson who to me may be one of the best floor Generals to come out of this area in a long time. They went 31-2 only losing to A very good Monte Vista twice

Tony Johnson was a solid player. I want to say he moved on to Lafayette College back in PA. He's not the player Ford is though. Folsom was very good that year. I recall SI coming up to bulldog gym and getting beat by 30 in Norcal's. SI was WCAL champ that year. That Bosco team Folsom lost to was loaded with D1 players. It went down the wire too. One of the million Hamiliton brothers that come out of SCAL is starting for UCONN and Tyler Dorsey led state last year in scoring at 34PPG and should start at Oregon. You had Vance Jackson on that team as well.

Reactions: G61
First off Tony Johnson was a proven High School player as well as a very accomplished college player. He is just as smart as Ford but is way more physically stronger. Both have high IQ and can shoot. However Johnson is a better shooter. Johnson was a 1st team all patriot league player and i believe he is in top 5or 6 all time at Lafayette in Assists and steals. Only time will tell for Ford.

SI did not i repeat were not WCAL Champs. As anyone would figure it was MITTY . Folsom also stole a playoff win against 3rd place Serra 58-57.

First off Tony Johnson was a proven High School player as well as a very accomplished college player. He is just as smart as Ford but is way more physically stronger. Both have high IQ and can shoot. However Johnson is a better shooter. Johnson was a 1st team all patriot league player and i believe he is in top 5or 6 all time at Lafayette in Assists and steals. Only time will tell for Ford.

SI did not i repeat were not WCAL Champs. As anyone would figure it was MITTY . Folsom also stole a playoff win against 3rd place Serra 58-57.
HEAT, why are you so angry with all of your posts?

Bizarre....

Go Folsom!

not angry just stating what i know. I just like when someone posts incorrect info and i correct it. One thing you'll find out about me is if i comment on factual info its gonna be correct.

not angry just stating what i know. I just like when someone posts incorrect info and i correct it. One thing you'll find out about me is if i comment on factual info its gonna be correct.
Glad to know that Heat. Your the man ;)

Besides you should be excited that i speak so highly of a Folsom kid cause as you would tell it i hate Folsom

I was way off base. SI was 11-3 and came in 2nd and beat Mitty 2x that year in league. Mitty actually won league at 12-2. Ford isn't proven? What record does Tony J have at Folsom HS that Ford hasn't smashed? The Patriot League is a nice low D1 academic league. Colgate, Bucknel, Army, Navy, Lehigh, Lafeyette, etc. Its a far cry from the WCL. I'm not buying your Tony J love. Good player no doubt but not in Ford's league.

I'm going to throw two teams out there that fell short in the norcal finals.

06-07 jesuit. 31-2. only losses were by 2 to an undefeated Montverde team at the les Schwab shootout, and to drew gordons mitty team in norcal finals. with chris blees, james edwards, and jay flores, that team might have been the most suffocating teams on defense that i have ever watched. they were hated. they knew it, and they loved it.

03-04 valley vikings. led by rob sallie, wayne hunter, and eshon bolden this is probably my favorite team that ive had the chance to see. but they couldn't get over the buzzsaw that was Leon powe and Oakland tech. those games at valley were LIVE. The Delta league that year had some great matchups

I don't give a shit larry if your buying my Tony J love or not. He won Ships at Folsom. He led Lafayette to 3 championships in 4 years and followed that up with a pro contract. PROVEN PLAYER .

I'm going to throw two teams out there that fell short in the norcal finals.

06-07 jesuit. 31-2. only losses were by 2 to an undefeated Montverde team at the les Schwab shootout, and to drew gordons mitty team in norcal finals. with chris blees, james edwards, and jay flores, that team might have been the most suffocating teams on defense that i have ever watched. they were hated. they knew it, and they loved it.

03-04 valley vikings. led by rob sallie, wayne hunter, and eshon bolden this is probably my favorite team that ive had the chance to see. but they couldn't get over the buzzsaw that was Leon powe and Oakland tech. those games at valley were LIVE. The Delta league that year had some great matchups
I agree that the Delta league had great matchup but the 2003-2004 Demarcus Nelson led Sheldon team Lost to Kennedy in SJS Final and then To DLS in the Nor cal Final. Leon Powe won Norcal in 01-02 and 02-03

I agree that the Delta league had great matchup but the 2003-2004 Demarcus Nelson led Sheldon team Lost to Kennedy in SJS Final and then To DLS in the Nor cal Final. Leon Powe won Norcal in 01-02 and 02-03[/QUOTE

you're right heat. valley lost to oak tech in 02-03, but I forgot that valley went D2 the next year and lost to diamon simpson led hayward squad in norcal final in 04. man, the sheldon/Kennedy section final was one for the ages though. I had a couple of friends on that kennedy team. couldnt have been happier for them, they laid it all out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT