ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers

Infofreak, if there was ever a time where you were way out of line, it's here. I have a pretty good idea who you are and I am sure by my handle, you know who I am. It's funny how someone would use this form to trash a man behind his back. I have coached along side Coach Hansen for the better part of 10 years and I know him as well as anyone on this board. Is he perfect, not a chance and he has never claimed to be but what he is a man that loves to coach, has his kids best interest in mine and teaches his players life lessons that they will take with them and use for the rest of their life. He has a passion for teaching and coaching and is exceptional at both (in my opinion). He turned a struggling program around at Ygnacio Valley and to this day, have probably won about 25 games in the last 7 years since Coach Hansen moved onto Dougherty Valley. He has built a winning program at Dougherty Valley that has consistently been in the mix for league championships as well as NCS births.

Keith Smith's brother did attend Dougherty Valley, after his freshmen year when he along with a few others who wouldn't have made the JV team their sophomore year so they enrolled at Dougherty because they already lived in Dougherty's boundaries. He was a very nice player for us but a players but parents expectations for their kid is a lot of the time much different then a coaches and or reality. Keith, who is a great kid, was our ball boy for years and elected to go to San Ramon (I am sure his parents decision) and it was a decision that has paid off for him, even though his parents still live right by Dougherty.

Talking about drinking and being drunk and seeking help or rehab is ridiculous and almost humorous. Would it change your opinion on the situation if you knew a parent of a player on the team purchased the beer for the coaches? A parent posted a picture of that on the teams blog and a parent who wrote the district the letter, asking for his immediate suspension of Coach Hansen, did so at the end of the season and in late March, when the incident happened up at a tournament in Reno in December? Funny, if a parent had a problem with the coaches drinking, after a parent purchased the beer for them, why would they wait over 3 months to file a complaint?

Do you think it has anything to do with playing time? Really think about that for a minute? I am sure the #1 reason why parents complain is because of playing time. They will hide behind the real reason and use drinking, bullying or any number of b.s. excuses but it's all centered around playing time, without a question.

As a coach, we are questioned all the time, about our practice schedule, how much we run and work the kids out, about our line ups, about why a kid is not passing a class, who we took their son out of the game, why we make certain substitutions, why we did or didn't call a time out, why we called a certain play, our game plan and how we act on the sidelines and as a fan or parent, I guess you are all welcome to your opinion. Don't ever question a coaches heart and love for the game, their relentless efforts in teaching your kids the game of basketball as well as being a nice young man and doing what's best for the team and his players. If you have all the answers, you could have applied for the job, you have the same chance an opportunity all the coaches have but you don't have the time, you don't want to work for pennies on the dollar and in some case, lose money coaching, you don't want to deal with the parents b.s. and all the administrative part of coaching, yet you want to complain and grind your axe.

I was at San Ramon high school when they lost the year before last, Raynor's last game and I think they lost to Freedom in NorCals or North Coast, not 100% sure. A parent of one of their top returning players for the following year was talking freely about if Raynor returns, we are certainly transferring, maybe Campo, they need a guard, maybe Monte Vista, they need a guard cause we can't beat teams like Freedom, he doesn't know how to beat athletic teams. This is what coaches have to deal with year in a year out.

I heard someone has been talking to Fadal's Father about transferring his son for over a year. I know that someone has talked to other coaches about seeing if they would take a transfer and this has been going on for over a year. Coaches hear about this kind of stuff all the time and they rarely mean anything but I think someone had an axe to grind & Austin has officially transferred and someone is using this message board to get back at Coach Hansen for things that have gone on years ago.

Congratulations axe grinder, mission accomplished and now it's time to move on. I know we all wish Austin nothing but success, he's a great kid with really nice parents and all of these kids mentioned here in my post are great kids, with bright futures and unlimited potential. As coaches, we can only coach and worry about who's on our team and who wants to play for our school, that's our main focus.

Come on. Whoever bought the beer, he drank it. From what I hear he never took responsibility for what he did. He apparently blamed someone else for busting him and instead of looking in the mirror he apparently played the victim. And apparently holds a grudge against the parents who rightfully held him accountable. If that is true he is in denial and it seems he is the guy going "whaaa" because he got caught. What kind of an example is that?

With due respect, to compare him to other bad examples and say he is no worse sets a low bar. I don't know if he was legally drunk, but if he has not made amends or gone to rehab then I think any kid who requested a transfer should get it. To hold an athlete hostage to a situation like that is wrong headed. I think that for the AD to spearhead a protest against that kid is a form of enabling the coach's questionable behavior for no positive purpose.

As for high school ball and learning lessons, no way would I say to a kid don't trust your instincts about a guy who doesn't practice what he preaches.

As hoops junkie said, no way he gets back his job in most other employment settings. This is like Donald trump and his "you are fired" routine. It seems to me the parents fired the coach by pulling their kids because the AD didn't.
He did take responsibility from the start and never denied he had a beer

Nasty, I didn't know he took responsibility. What I heard is that he didn't, but I'll take your word for it. If he apologized and made amends then I stand corrected.

Coach, I appreciate your passion and loyalty. I apologized for my tone, which I agree was out of line, and I admire your rant, and I mean that. And I don't want to antagonize you now. But, if the kid is being wished well, why is DV protesting his transfer? (I'm relying on the previous post about the protest being accurate).

The benefit of what you said is you have much better information than I do. Can you understand that from the outside it looks like the kid is being cornered?

enough said.

I think there needs to be a clear understanding of abuse. Yelling does not equal abuse. These kids want to play college ball and need to understand when they encounter a coach whose livelihood and income are dependent on your performance the heat in the kitchen will get REAL hot. I dont know Hansen, but I highly doubt he is personally attacking and degrading kids on his team. Sounds like he is tough and holds individuals accountable to a high standard. We need to accept we have created a generation of kids who run from uncomfortable situations. They switch AAU teams, high school teams, transfer in college and struggle in the professional workplace. More often than not kids who transfer end up struggling to find success at a high level.

Reactions: H.E.A.T.
You all should not be putting anyone's info out online. We all have sources. Some are good. Some appear to be good but aren't, and some are full of hot air. Regardless, putting out information about why a kid is transferring should not be the role of this board.

Infofreak: Dougherty is not and has not denied the transfer, it's in the hands of the NCS office.

I don't see a problem with a coach having a drink at a dinner where the player's parents are present. Some of these parents have a drink in front of their own kids... Anyone that coaches knows damn well these kids will lead you to have a drink or two.

All:

A few comments after my day of jury duty. He was found innocent.

Chief is so right about the personal info.

Coach Dblp, I’m really glad to hear DV is not protesting. That’s cool.

Doodle, you make an intelligent set of points. And what you are talking about is complicated in my view.

While it is true that in most settings yelling is not abuse, it can be. I stress I’m not suggesting the DV staff is involved in this. But yelling can be abuse. It depends on the content and the intent.

There have been nearly 50 posts to this thread. I’ve taken his side and have been called a couple of names. No sweat. The kid has been called a few. If he or his dad are reading this, I hope they take some solace that someone is arguing their side.

Having said that, I do appreciate Doodle’s point of view and agree with him in some cases. Kids do need to see things through. Life lessons are learned. But sometimes at too great a cost. I personally know some fathers who regret not allowing their kids to leave a bad situation.

We don’t know what might be motivating this kid. Maybe Coach does. I don’t know about you all, but I played for a college coach who was an Ogre. Sometimes quitting or transferring is liberating and smart. Sometimes maturity comes from leaving, even if it is just a chemistry mismatch.

For the record, I don’t think Hansen is an ogre.

I agree with EHS that kids do drive adults to drink at times, sometimes all the time. Depends on the kid.

Fadal should surely sit out, no matter who's decision it was.. It was an athletic motivated transfer.
And to whoever said "any other district wouldn't reinstate this coach" you're crazy, San Ramon is one of the strictest with parents running the show, look at the SRV coaching issues last year. DVHS's AD reportedly had no clue Hansen was even suspended, fired, whatevered when it happened, a letter was sent to district and down there, they made a quick trigger decision without talking to anyone on campus at DVHS. bottom line is that Hansen is back, and will have an athletic team, not to Mention a new 6'5" post from O'Dowd :)

A new post player from O'Dowd? Was his move athletically driven?
The AD was aware of the situation but I still agree with you that the trigger was pulled prematurely. And I'm not sure that we should always view things where it is the parents that run the show. The SRV situation was handled poorly and with multiple fingers that could be pointed in several directions. Too bad that it did not end up well for the team this yearo_O

I heard from a Dougherty parent that Austin and family just recently moved to Danville.

I forget all the rules, as they are cumbersome and seem to keep changing, but can he be ruled ineligible by the NCS even if the family physically moves to Danville if the move is still considered to be athletically motivated? Seems this is where it gets real messy and it's handled differently by each section. I wish the kid well, but it may not be that easy to just move to a school boundary that has a better basketball program or a coach that he prefers. Monte Vista is a great school, but Dougherty has even better test scores.

I think the rule is if the entire custodial family moves, then wherever they have residence there eligibility lies. There has been examples of families trying to rent places in attendance areas and the ruling have been that the whole family must move and take up residence, then eligibility is granted.

I am interested in seeing how this goes.

Infofreak, if there was ever a time where you were way out of line, it's here. I have a pretty good idea who you are and I am sure by my handle, you know who I am. It's funny how someone would use this form to trash a man behind his back. I have coached along side Coach Hansen for the better part of 10 years and I know him as well as anyone on this board. Is he perfect, not a chance and he has never claimed to be but what he is a man that loves to coach, has his kids best interest in mine and teaches his players life lessons that they will take with them and use for the rest of their life. He has a passion for teaching and coaching and is exceptional at both (in my opinion). He turned a struggling program around at Ygnacio Valley and to this day, have probably won about 25 games in the last 7 years since Coach Hansen moved onto Dougherty Valley. He has built a winning program at Dougherty Valley that has consistently been in the mix for league championships as well as NCS births.

Keith Smith's brother did attend Dougherty Valley, after his freshmen year when he along with a few others who wouldn't have made the JV team their sophomore year so they enrolled at Dougherty because they already lived in Dougherty's boundaries. He was a very nice player for us but a players but parents expectations for their kid is a lot of the time much different then a coaches and or reality. Keith, who is a great kid, was our ball boy for years and elected to go to San Ramon (I am sure his parents decision) and it was a decision that has paid off for him, even though his parents still live right by Dougherty.

Talking about drinking and being drunk and seeking help or rehab is ridiculous and almost humorous. Would it change your opinion on the situation if you knew a parent of a player on the team purchased the beer for the coaches? A parent posted a picture of that on the teams blog and a parent who wrote the district the letter, asking for his immediate suspension of Coach Hansen, did so at the end of the season and in late March, when the incident happened up at a tournament in Reno in December? Funny, if a parent had a problem with the coaches drinking, after a parent purchased the beer for them, why would they wait over 3 months to file a complaint?

Do you think it has anything to do with playing time? Really think about that for a minute? I am sure the #1 reason why parents complain is because of playing time. They will hide behind the real reason and use drinking, bullying or any number of b.s. excuses but it's all centered around playing time, without a question.

As a coach, we are questioned all the time, about our practice schedule, how much we run and work the kids out, about our line ups, about why a kid is not passing a class, who we took their son out of the game, why we make certain substitutions, why we did or didn't call a time out, why we called a certain play, our game plan and how we act on the sidelines and as a fan or parent, I guess you are all welcome to your opinion. Don't ever question a coaches heart and love for the game, their relentless efforts in teaching your kids the game of basketball as well as being a nice young man and doing what's best for the team and his players. If you have all the answers, you could have applied for the job, you have the same chance an opportunity all the coaches have but you don't have the time, you don't want to work for pennies on the dollar and in some case, lose money coaching, you don't want to deal with the parents b.s. and all the administrative part of coaching, yet you want to complain and grind your axe.

I was at San Ramon high school when they lost the year before last, Raynor's last game and I think they lost to Freedom in NorCals or North Coast, not 100% sure. A parent of one of their top returning players for the following year was talking freely about if Raynor returns, we are certainly transferring, maybe Campo, they need a guard, maybe Monte Vista, they need a guard cause we can't beat teams like Freedom, he doesn't know how to beat athletic teams. This is what coaches have to deal with year in a year out.

I heard someone has been talking to Fadal's Father about transferring his son for over a year. I know that someone has talked to other coaches about seeing if they would take a transfer and this has been going on for over a year. Coaches hear about this kind of stuff all the time and they rarely mean anything but I think someone had an axe to grind & Austin has officially transferred and someone is using this message board to get back at Coach Hansen for things that have gone on years ago.

Congratulations axe grinder, mission accomplished and now it's time to move on. I know we all wish Austin nothing but success, he's a great kid with really nice parents and all of these kids mentioned here in my post are great kids, with bright futures and unlimited potential. As coaches, we can only coach and worry about who's on our team and who wants to play for our school, that's our main focus.

My son KJ did transfer to DVHS just as coach DbLP stated but his facts are 100% false. We didn't transfer because KJ wouldn't have made the JV team at SRV. When DVHS opened his sophomore year there was a no transfer in or out rule in place at DVHS. KJ was a different player than Keith for sure but as far as our expectations they were simple. KJ was 6'1 185 in high school with aspirations of playing college ball, our expectations were that he play guard and be developed at that position to give him an opportunity to play college ball. Instead he was used as a 4/5 and was not developed as a guard which made it difficult for him to play at the next level. We were going to contest the rule and transfer KJ out of DVHS after his sophomore year but KJ wanted to stay and play with his friends so we let him finish at DVHS. We decided we weren't going to make that mistake a second time and Keith had no say in the decision to go to SRV just as I'm sure Austin had no say in his parents decision to move and transfer him to MV. All of the the adults on this site saying They hope Austin has to sit out must not have kids and have taken a very ignorant stance. He is a great kid and his parents made a decision that they think is best for his future. Any parent would understand that regardless if u agree with it or not. Pat is correct when he says that the transfer worked out well for Keith. He had a great high school career, had great mentorship from coaches Raynor and Botteen and had an overall great experience at SRV that he wouldn't have gotten at DVHS which is more of a one dimensional school for academics which there is nothing wrong with that. We wanted Keith experience a school with tradition, school spirit, good academics and athletics and he got that at SRV.

Reactions: HashtagBB
A coach getting drunk in front of players and parents should get fired. Hansen was lucky to be reinstated. What employer allows their employees to drink on the job.
This is a unique post....I agree, drinking on the job is prohibited, especially when you are a role model for kids. The audience of this site seems to be Coaches and Refs, it was good to see a parent respond. There are very few Mike Hansen supporters considering there are close to 9,000 views. I know when we play Dougherty Valley HS, we always wondered how Mike Hansen gets away with the way he talks to the players (both on his team and sometimes on our team). I guess just because your Dad is a great coach does not mean you will be as successful or respected.

There was supposed to be only 1 open spot on the varsity team vacated by a graduating senior (2015). I heard that 2 players quit the team during the Summer League (one was a Senior (2016) starter). Next, Austin transferred. Austin was a Varsity starter his Freshman and Sophomore years and will play his last 2 years at Monte Vista. Then, 2 more Seniors that played for 3 years left the DVHS Basketball program. Once the 2015-2016 Varsity Team was selected, 2 Juniors that made the varsity team quit. Count that up, and that’s 7 Basketball Players that left the DVHS varsity team this season!! I was also told that last season 2 Seniors quit the Varsity team after a few games. Something is going on over there at Dougherty Valley and I’m surprised the Athletic Director, DVHS Principal and District are not trying to understand why so many good players are leaving. With that many players leaving the team, I think the comment someone made about bullying might be accurate for this situation. The kids are afraid to speak up and the parents at Dougherty Valley are just too polite to say anything. Rate my teacher is a site used mostly by college students, looks like Mike Hansen did not rate high (and there is even a post from back in 2012).

I heard Mike Hansen has not been at the games – he has been suspended for 5 games!

Now what is going on? Some are saying it is because Mike brought in a lawyer when he and his assistant coaches were fired (yes, I saw the letter that all DVHS BB parents received from the principal announcing the replacement of the BB coaching staff). A suspension is such a slap on the hand if he truly was drinking during a BB event. There are school policies in place that state: any employee at a district workplace is prohibited from use or being under the influence of any alcoholic beverage when accompanying a school sponsored athletic event - see Board Policy 4020 . Policies are in place to protect the kids. We are right back to the fact that no job allows employees to drink at work.

1124bell, My son played on the same freshmen team as KJ and were friends all during their high years & I would have bet my house on it that your son was not going to make the JV team but again, I wasn't the JV coach but only going from what I saw and heard. I also heard you and others talking about transferring because of playing time and possibility of your kids not making the team, so you might have transferred for different reason and if so, great but I am going on what I personally saw and heard. I also personally heard you and your wife say after the game of Keith's junior year season ended, that if coach Raynor returns for your son's senior year (as you mentioned him as a mentorship) that you would transfer your son to another school. You and your wife stated that Raynor can't beat the inner city black athletes and if I am not mistaken, San Ramon lost to Freedom in Oakley and last time I check, Oakley didn't qualify as an inner city. They may have had 5 or 6 black basketball players on their team but that doesn't qualify as inner city.

HashtagBB, great & well written post and I can see you you have done your homework on the situation, which is appreciated by many. I too have watched coach Hansen over the years, my kids played at San Ramon and they have always been in our tournament over the years (Ygnacio & Dougherty) and even a few pre-season games. I too have never been a fan of his coaching style & sideline shows but I will say, his teams have always been well prepared and play extremely hard. He has always been a hot tempered / passionate coach and and usually walks that technical fine line. I have seen his teams beat much better San Ramon teams over the years so I can't say that his style is not successful but I am not sure I would have wanted any of my boys to play for him. I agree & think the district was scared of yet another lawsuit by a teacher / coach and did not follow their clear cut drinking rules while on off campus basketball trips or tournaments. I have been to many tournaments over my kids time at San Ramon and I can say without question, there was no drinking by any coaches in the presence of players & parents. Hope everyone learns from there mistakes and can move forward & make a positive impact on others. Most are deserving of a 2nd chance and hope this won't be an issue here or ant any other school in the future.

Real P, well said HashTag left out some key points and also alleged things that were not right.

The district is soft. Because our parents are soft, and this is the reason Isis is winning, our country has turned soft.

NS Basketball you obviously have something against me and my family which is fine especially since you hide behind a screen name and aren't man enough own your words. You trashed Keith all year long on this board. Now lets address your lies. 1st one is that we never talked about KJ transferring due to playing time and that is a flat out lie. Our 1st choice for KJ was to play for coach Allocco because of the way he develops players but he got wait listed there. We considered transferring there because that's who I wanted my son to play for. That didn't work out and like I said we were told by the district when KJ went to SRV his freshman year that he would have to go to DVHS when it opened so we knew that's where he would be going his 10th grade year unless we transferred to DLS. You're right you were not the coach so you or I don't know what would've happened his 10th grade year had he stayed at SRV. KJ played as much as he deserved to play at SRV his freshman year and I had no problem with his playing time. Coach Driscoll was a very fair coach and that's all any parent can ask for. 2nd lie is that you said you heard me say that we would transfer is Raynor stayed on as coach. I was very frustrated when we lost to Mac in State and no disrespect to Mac but they shouldn't have been able to come into SRV and win that game and yes I said that I felt that team was intimidated by predominantly black teams and struggled against them. Barely beat Pitt, lost to Freedom who had more than the 5 or 6 black kids on their team that you stated and lost to Mac, Facts are facts. I actually said that If Botteen got the job we would transfer because I wasn't happy with Keith's freshman year on JV under Botten. Keith wanted to stay and finish with the group he came into SRV with so Botteen and I sat down and had a great conversation so we stayed at SRV and it obviously worked out great for that special group of kids that played all year for each other. Just because we considered transferring Keith that had nothing to do with the character of coaches Raynor and Botteen and like I said before they were both great mentors for Keith with high values and character as men. If you have anything else to say to me or about me and my family be a man and call me 925-699-4435 Kevin Smith.

Here is the “Transfers” thread for those reading the Prolific Preps thread who don’t want to dig through the archives to find it.

Reading back through these comments, a few commenters were pretty sure Fadal didn’t have the ability (or perhaps temperament) to play in the Monte Vista system. Others were adamant that the family hadn’t moved into Danville and would not be deemed eligible.

He has been playing since the outset. I’ve seen MV play in a couple of settings this year and the commenters who questioned his ability to defend, shoot or fit in were misinformed. In one game I saw him score about 25 points on maybe 13 shots. He played mostly point, took rhythm shots and probably dished 7 assists. His outside shot is consistently good. Every part of his game improved from when I last saw him and to my uneducated eye he is fitting in nicely and helping that team. I hope he keeps getting better.

I find it interesting that Fadal is playing at MV while it looks like he has a sister still at DV and on the varsity basketball team. Is that his sister that is on the team? Wouldn't she have to transfer given the family moved out of the district? Someone please clarify. Thanks

We all know why student athletes transfer, they state it is because of academics but we knows it because of sports. Fadal transferred because the academic standards are to high or so his parents told me over the summer but I guess not to high for his sister. It's not like Monte Vista is much easier, they are too one of the best and highest rated schools in the area. It's time for everyone to move on here, Fadal is enjoying a nice season so far at Monte Vista, I have seen him play a few times and Dougherty seems to be moving on without him nicely, I have also seen them play a few times but I do think they will miss his scoring come league play.

This transfer was absolutely crap! Their is no way this kid should be playing. He flat out transferred because of basketball. Parents and coaches can sugar coat it any way they want. Maybe the parents did move? And they kept the daughter at DV? What? They got Cif good, or Cif turned a blind eye since after all it is almighty cash money monte vista.

i can't stand when grown babies say someone else's kid shouldn't be playing. Lets face it, the rules are dumb but there needs to be rules as well. I don't think most transfers are purely just athletically motivated. There is a degree but not 100%. But I know for a fact there are some kids who would never see outside of Sacramento if it wasn't for basketball so why not transfer because of that? Is it the main reason? probably, but most likely not the whole entire reason for transferring.

Let parents make or break their son's future on their own. No one else has the right to say who shouldn't or should be playing just cuz they wanna play ball somewhere else. Especially if this sport is giving them options in life that academics cant.

I find it interesting that Fadal is playing at MV while it looks like he has a sister still at DV and on the varsity basketball team. Is that his sister that is on the team? Wouldn't she have to transfer given the family moved out of the district? Someone please clarify. Thanks

Both MV and DV are part of the San Ramon Valley School District, along with SRV and Cal. So they did not move out of the district, just into the MV area. As far as I know, there is no rule that a brother and sister must play at the same school, although it would sure be more convenient. If the family did move, then that may satisfy the requirement for Austin to be eligible at MV right away. At the same time, there is no rule that just because a family moves to another area that the sister would be required to change schools too. I know of many families that have moved and their kids stay at the their original school until they graduate in order to be with their friends or teammates. Interesting the way that worked out though.

Both MV and DV are part of the San Ramon Valley School District, along with SRV and Cal. So they did not move out of the district, just into the MV area. As far as I know, there is no rule that a brother and sister must play at the same school, although it would sure be more convenient. If the family did move, then that may satisfy the requirement for Austin to be eligible at MV right away. At the same time, there is no rule that just because a family moves to another area that the sister would be required to change schools too. I know of many families that have moved and their kids stay at the their original school until they graduate in order to be with their friends or teammates. Interesting the way that worked out though.
Thanks for clearing that up Observer22. I hope he does well at MV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT