ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble at SI?

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
The SI sports web pages indicate the school's varsity baseball team is "canceling" four WCAL games in a row. MaxPreps indicates that Tuesday's game with Mitty was a forfeit win for the Monarchs. What's going on in the Sunset District? Discipline issues? Odd situation.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
On further review, those four SI games, apparently automatic WCAL forfeit wins for its foes, don't provide any favors for the three schools that won't benefit from the situation. In fairness to those three teams, SI (or the league itself) ought to extend those "cancelations" to that trio as well. What's good for the four should be good for the others. This unusual situation should not help some teams and not others.

I noticed those cancellations too. I thought they were really postponements at first.

Last edited:
Reactions: calm62
With lacrosse apparently on double-secret probation as well as baseball, what the heck happened over the Easter break?

This is terrible news. I've always found Coach Stecher and staff to be professional and proud to represent the school.

This is a bad look for the league with back to back years of forfeits due to off the field issues

The three non-beneficiaries of the forfeits should be less than pleased.
I doubt anyone hopes for a situation like this. I have to believe that SI's administrators, athletic director, coaches and parents aren't too happy either.
You are correct. The idea that SI can declare four of its WCAL games forfeits, leaving the other three league teams off that list just seems wrong and unfair.
An unbiased observer would probably applaud what is likely a difficult decision by administration. Student discipline has to trump any "competitive balance" issues.
Perhaps it's time for the WCAL commissioner to take a stand on this one.
What would you suggest?

I doubt anyone hopes for a situation like this. I have to believe that SI's administrators, athletic director, coaches and parents aren't too happy either.

An unbiased observer would probably applaud what is likely a difficult decision by administration. Student discipline has to trump any "competitive balance" issues.

What would you suggest?

Mandate forfeiting seven games, one each vs. the other WCAL teams. Simple. The current situation is unfair. it allows four teams to rest key starting pitchers. Three teams cannot. It's not right. Plus, who knows, SI might well defeat one or two of the unfortunate trio as well. A single-game forfeit is one thing; this situation is unprecedented for the WCAL in any sport going back 50 years. SI should not have the last word.

So why does Lacrosse get a 3 week suspension and baseball only 2? My guess is April 21 at AT&T park.

From what I understand and have heard is the WCAL Commissioner is OK with SI decision and no further action. But it does seem funny that Lacrosse has to forfeit two more than baseball and it is interesting that this forfeit ends right before the most important game of the year...a year where the baseball game actually matters in the Bruce Mahoney trophy chase.

Way too much Jesuit parsing and posing. Do the right thing and don't penalize 42 percent of your league foes. It's not rocket science. The WCAL commish is AWOL on this one.

Last edited:
Way too much Jesuit parsing and posing. Do the right thing and don't penalize 42 percent of your league foes. It's not rocket science. The WCAL commish is AWOL on this one.

So what would you suggest? Making them play? That ship has sailed. Making them forfeit 7 games, one for each league opponent? How is that fair to the SI players who are already being punished? All it woul be doing is putting salt in the wound.

A further oddity: The WCAL website continues to pretend that nothing is out of the ordinary. The scores of SI's last two games are simply not listed at all. But they were both 1-0 forfeit losses. It's as though the situation doesn't exist or is something out of the X-Files except the truth is most definitely not out there. The WCAL standings are correct. But, again, those numbers are appearing out of some mysterious ether. Weird. Outlandish. Ridiculous.

So what would you suggest? Making them play? That ship has sailed. Making them forfeit 7 games, one for each league opponent? How is that fair to the SI players who are already being punished? All it woul be doing is putting salt in the wound.

Forget SI. What about the league as a whole? Its credibility is slipping badly on this one. SI should forfeit seven games, not four, since this is the route they are taking.

This is a bad look for the league with back to back years of forfeits due to off the field issues
Has nothing to do with the league. These are school issues. It is bad for SF and SI...who had to forfeit for doing dumb things. Schools decide this stuff. If it was a fight or an ineligible player or a transfer issue or something, yeah, the league has to intervene. This SI deal is a school issue.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Forget SI. What about the league as a whole? Its credibility is slipping badly on this one. SI should forfeit seven games, not four, since this is the route they are taking.
School issue, not a league issue. School wants to forfeit...they forfeit. 100% a school issue. Serra and the FB game a few years back...CCS issue...Big brawl or bean ball war...league issue. This is an SI issue IMO

The way SI has chosen to act is a league thing now. They have altered the standings in a totally unbalanced manner. The league has not stepped in. Big mistake.

A further oddity: The WCAL website continues to pretend that nothing is out of the ordinary. The scores of SI's last two games are simply not listed at all. But they were both 1-0 forfeit losses. It's as though the situation doesn't exist or is something out of the X-Files except the truth is most definitely not out there. The WCAL standings are correct. But, again, those numbers are appearing out of some mysterious ether. Weird. Outlandish. Ridiculous.
It should list 7-0 for a forfeit. But league stat guy might be in the dark on what to do....but it is common knowledge...so put forfeit up there.

Wrong. SI is part of the WCAL. What they are doing could have a bearing on the 2018 title, CCS playoff positioning, you name it.

Wrong. SI is part of the WCAL. What they are doing could have a bearing on the 2018 title, CCS playoff positioning, you name it.
All true. But the league does not handle discipline within schools. SI made the decision to forfeit to punish the team for their mistakes. Is it a bad look? Yes. About all that could happen is that at the next principal's meeting, it could be put on the agenda and the principals could decide to agree to not punish your teams by making them forfeit. Make them pull up JV guys or something, but they could recommend that the games be played. That would change it for next year. The commissioner does the bidding of the principals and I can see this being on the AD agenda and the principal agenda and working its way through the system for the future. It is a bad look. But to be honest...the feeling of loyalty among league schools is at an alltime low. Every man/women for themselves. I could see a scenario where the league blows up and everyone goes their separate ways. Would be sad because I love the league. It has been a huge part of my life.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Agree with "tired' on this. This is a school issue. If the admin feels the punishment should be four games then that's their business. If their best basketball player is suspended for one game are you saying he should be suspended for a game against each team. No. It doesn't work that way.

With regard to the discipline between baseball and lacrosse, I don't think we are talking about the same incident. The lacrosse cancellations occurred a week before baseball with lacrosse having their spring break trip to Washington,DC being cancelled while the baseball cancellations occurred later with the baseball team making their spring tip to Palm Springs.

Agreed but the lacrosse team ended up forfeiting more games. From what I heard, the baseball team continued to play and were not disciplined until after they returned. Is that fair? If I am a lacrosse player, I call BS. I also agree it is a school issue however when it is as extreme as this is where SO could very well benefit in playoff seeding, there should also be action by the school to remove the baseball team from all post season play as well.

Just seems not right that if one team forfeits six contests, the other only four, it is just not consistent.

Also just how coincidental is it that the first game the baseball team plays happens to be a game that means more than any other game this season????

A "real message" would to include the SH/SI Bruce Mahoney game in these forfeits. That would send a clear message to students and their alumni and the people involved in the shenannigans. That would be the braver thing to do. Guarantee whatever alumni crowd SI gets for Bruce/Mahoney game, they will not know about this incident. That is the way SI whats to go about this.

I recall Bellarmine 10 years ago in basketball getting in trouble and Schiender brought up JV for remainder of season. I had a lot of respect for his decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: colhenrylives
School issue. This happens all the time in baseball. Say a pitcher gets suspended for 5 games, he misses a start. If he’s a stud, some team gets the benefit of missing him when he serves. You gonna suspended him for 162 games so everyone misses him? That would be lame!!

My Merc hard copy said this

Baseball: St. Ignatius ‘cancels’ four WCAL games
WCAL commissioner confirms cancellations against Archbishop Mitty, Serra, Bellarmine, Valley Christian
Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 13, 2018 at 12:00 pm | UPDATED: April 13, 2018 at 12:47 pm
St. Ignatius has “canceled” its West Catholic Athletic League baseball game Friday at Serra, just as it canceled a game Tuesday against Archbishop Mitty.
It also will cancel games Bellarmine College Prep and Valley Christian, according to the league’s commissioner, Jolene Fugate, and none of the games will be made up.

The question: Why?
Fugate said that St. Ignatius athletic director John Mulkerrins would have to provide an “official statement.” An email sent to Mulkerrins late Thursday has not been returned. Serra coach Chris Houle, in a text Thursday night, confirmed what he called a forfeit against his team but added, “Don’t know details of why.”MaxPreps lists St. Ignatius’ game Tuesday as a forfeit win for Mitty. St. Ignatius spent last week in Palm Springs, sweeping Palm Springs on April 4 and beating Xavier Prep of Palm Desert a day later. The wins extended the Wildcats’ winning streak to four and improved their record to 9-7-1.

The four cancellations will drop S.I. to 9-11-1 and 2-7 in the WCAL. This marks the second year in a row that Serra has won a league game that was not played. St. Francis called off a first-place showdown against the Padres last April.

With all due respect to SI response, I believe AD sister recently passed away. Let’s give school time on official response.

So a team like SHC has to play games on Tuesday, Friday and save enough pitching for a game v. S.I. on Saturday. And S.I. has week off is able to save their best pitcher for Bruce-Mahoney game on Saturday. It just does not seem right.

So a team like SHC has to play games on Tuesday, Friday and save enough pitching for a game v. S.I. on Saturday. And S.I. has week off is able to save their best pitcher for Bruce-Mahoney game on Saturday. It just does not seem right.
It doesn't but they could also be rusty by then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT