ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday Feb 15th WCAL Finale Scores

Friday Night Jan 15th WCAL Results
  • Serra 49 @ Valley Christian 50 VC sticks 1st loss to the Padres
  • Mitty 50 @ St. Ignatius 46. Mitty 1 of 2 remaining undefeated teams along with Riordan. Showdown Wed night at the Crusader Forum
  • SHC 55 @ St. Francis 51 Irish post the upset in Mt View.
  • Riordan 59 @ Bellarmine 37 Crusader D holds the Bells under 40. Bells only had 13 points at halftime. Riordan once again plays its entire team in the win. Battle of unbeatens as Riordan hosts Mitty Wed night.

Reactions: Streak One
St. Francis was without Vince Barringer, but did have freshman Dallas Washington back. Bellarmine didn't have Nic Alvarez, and Riordan was without Zachary Jones.

Wed night’s results
  • SI 57 @ Bellarmine 31
  • Mitty 56 @ Riordan 46
  • SF 61 @ Serra 38
  • SHC 74 @ Valley Christian 65

The WCAL is crazy. What has happened to Bellarmine? Do they have injuries? Covid? They beat SHP who has some quality wins , but now are 0-5 in WCAL. SHC seems much improved, Valley has some good young talent.
It was only a matter of time before St. Francis puts it together- to much talent. SI when healthy can beat anyone. Coach Rapp will get every ounce of effort from his players, but I just don't think they have the players to compete with the top tier teams

The WCAL is crazy. What has happened to Bellarmine? Do they have injuries? Covid? They beat SHP who has some quality wins , but now are 0-5 in WCAL. SHC seems much improved, Valley has some good young talent.
It was only a matter of time before St. Francis puts it together- to much talent. SI when healthy can beat anyone. Coach Rapp will get every ounce of effort from his players, but I just don't think they have the players to compete with the top tier teams
The weird start to the season has made head to head comparisons even harder to draw meaningful conclusions from. I think Monday and yesterday were the first time in a month that St Francis had two consecutive games with all its starters playing, and other teams are in the same boat. At least games are getting played.

Spears went off for 39 points in Sacred Heart Cathedral's win over Valley Christian on Wednesday

The weird start to the season has made head to head comparisons even harder to draw meaningful conclusions from. I think Monday and yesterday were the first time in a month that St Francis had two consecutive games with all its starters playing, and other teams are in the same boat. At least games are getting played.
Agree. The first 2 weeks of league only had a handful of games and/or many of the team's key players unavailable. (I.e. Bells-VC, SI-Serra and SI-SF). Indications appear we may be past this COVID surge and the second half of the season should be a better indicator. Although, Mitty and Riordan were at full strength last Wednesday. Mitty's offense was very impressive with the team passing the ball to beat the Crusader zone and finding the open man for open 3s and nailing them in pulling away late for the road win. Monarchs got at least a dozen second chances off of long offensive rebounds.

Spears went off for 39 points in Sacred Heart Cathedral's win over Valley Christian on Wednesday

Might be the best statistical and accoladed season by a city player since 2017 Niamey Harris of Mission. Threw for over 2,000, 25 TDs while rushing for 600 yards and 6 TDs and now putting up big numbers trying to lead his team to scratch their way to a CCS birth (needs to finish .500 during league, 2-2 currently).

Has there been a better two-way athlete in the WCAL in recent years than Ray-John? I wonder what sport he is going to focus on at the next level? Niamey Harris is a great comp BTW. I am thinking of a WCAL comp and none immediately come to mind as athletes are so specialized now a days.

Reactions: Scott2138
Mitty 41 @ Serra 50
Valley Christian 53 @ SI 65
Bellarmine 47 @ SHC 33
Riordan 64 St Francis 62

Reactions: observer22
The Bells & Padres pull the upsets in the always unpredictable WCAL. Were these full squads or were key players missing in any of these games?
SHC was without its best player, RJ Spears, and played in an OT loss to City rival, SI, the night before.

Reactions: observer22
Was Spears' technicals and ejection during the game or after? I wasn't aware of this. Rearding Jamaal Baugh shaking hands of the opposing starters during introductions, I've seen SI a few times this year and he has done it every game. I don't know why but I have a seen other teams do this on occasion. No big deal.

Was Spears' technicals and ejection during the game or after? I wasn't aware of this. Rearding Jamaal Baugh shaking hands of the opposing starters during introductions, I've seen SI a few times this year and he has done it every game. I don't know why but I have a seen other teams do this on occasion. No big deal.
Yeap- Every SI game I have seen the last 2 years the assistant coach is the one shaking hands.

Jamal knows a ton of the kids on other teams and they're all happy to see him. I don't think it's a big deal at all, but some folks in green clearly did.

Jamal knows a ton of the kids on other teams and they're all happy to see him. I don't think it's a big deal at all, but some folks in green clearly did.
Big Jamal! Riordan Crusader CCS Basketball Champion. Former Wildcat JV and Varsity asst coach Kareem Guilbeaux now on the Crusader Varsity staff this year.

Busy week in the WCAL starts tonight.
Monday: Riordan @ Serra
Wednesday: Serra @ Riordan; Bellarmine @ VC; Mitty @ St. Francis; SHC @ SI
Saturday: SI @ Riordan; Bellarmine @ Mitty; SHC @ Serra;

Last edited:
Not sure if it was just parents, as I saw some students.. But going off of Saturday's Mitty game, attendance was extremely limited. Looked well <50% full on the NFHS feed.
Limited attendance but there was a student section at the St Francis game at Serra — on the small side but active and vocal for the size, as they are known for.

Big Jamal! Riordan Crusader CCS Basketball Champion. Former Wildcat JV and Varsity asst coach Kareem Guilbeaux now on the Crusader Varsity staff this year.

Busy week in the WCAL starts tonight.
Monday: Riordan @ Serra
Wednesday: Serra @ Riordan; Bellarmine @ VC; Mitty @ St. Francis; SHC @ SI
Saturday: SI @ Riordan; Bellarmine @ Mitty; SHC @ Serra;
While I'm not one for any pregame antics I actually liked what the SH starters did during player introductions. The way they stopped, paid respect to Big Mal and then jogged over to the SI huddle and tapped Greenfield on the back. It's a huge rivalry game and the Irish knew exactly what they were doing. I see no problem.

Mitty 74 @ Valley Christian 50
Riordan 76 @ Serra 68 OT
Padres look to even the score this Wednesday at the Crusader Forum

Last edited:
Riordan's player rotations have been a work in progress and they have switched to playing man-to-man defense from zone that was shown primarily in non-league...Last night's finishing lineup had 3 juniors and a freshman (3 that are football players, too). Riordan flipped roles with Serra as it was their hustle, defense and scoring from role players that were the difference in the OT win. Appears if you don't hustle, block out/rebound and don't play defense, you are sitting. Wilhite found open teammates for scores in the closing minutes that put pressure on Serra's D. Padres seek to even the score Wednesday night in SF. Nice comeback win in a venue that does not treat opposing teams kindly.

Last edited:
Wednesday Night’s Results
Mitty 59 @ St Francis 57
SHC 47 @ SI 65
Bells 64 @ Valley Christian 59 OT
Serra 41 @ Riordan 38. Missed FTs were the difference

Last edited:
Reactions: concrete17
Mitty 59 @ St Francis 57
SHC 47 @ SI 65
Serra 41 @ Riordan 38. Missed FTs was the difference
Mitty-SF was a good back and forth contest. SF got in an early hole and could never grab the lead despite a few runs. Had a couple of good looks on final possession.

Nice road league win for the Monarchs, which completed the regular season sweep of St Francis.

Mitty 59 @ St Francis 57
SHC 47 @ SI 65
Serra 41 @ Riordan 38. Missed FTs were the difference
it looks like alot of missed shots were the difference not just free throws

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT