ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday Feb 15th WCAL Finale Scores

We are always looking for more officials. Come join us! Unfortunately you won't get to use instant replay and slow motion in games to give you a second look...
You're right- refs could use instant replay and totally respect the sometimes thankless role you have. But this was a 3 ref game with 2 of them on the baseline on that play. Wouldn't have hurt for the both of them to huddle when that call was challenged. I've seen quite a number of referee teams do just that. Keep up the great work!

You're right- refs could use instant replay and totally respect the sometimes thankless role you have. But this was a 3 ref game with 2 of them on the baseline on that play. Wouldn't have hurt for the both of them to huddle when that call was challenged. I've seen quite a number of referee teams do just that. Keep up the great work!
Regardless of the number of officials on the game, only one official has responsibility for out of bounds on a particular side/end line. In this case it would have been the official on the baseline under the basket. The other official to the side would have been focused on defenders and watching the player to see if they travel or illegal dribble - definitely not focused on whether or not a player lands out of bounds before releasing the ball. So that would be a very difficult call for that person to make in the moment when they were focused on other things.

As for coming together, officials don't do this enough in general. If I have definite knowledge of something that would impact the call that a partner of mine makes, it is my duty to bring that information to the other official (without requiring an appeal from a coach or player like you see in baseball). That being said, the information I am bringing happens on a dead ball and are things like (it went off of blue after white touched it, or I had a travel before the foul you called). In this case, the only way for the other official to have helped would have been to immediately blow the play dead and call the player for going out of bounds. Coming together wouldn't help much in this case as you can't really go back and say "on second thought, they were out of bounds so let's roll the clock back and pick up from there...".

You'd be surprised how much high school officials find and watch film of our games after the fact. It's how we learn and I'm sure this clip will also be used in that regard. Thanks for posting it!

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
the schools can barely afford to pay teachers enough. imagine them having to install video equipment in the gym and have someone there to operate it.

NFHS "security-cam" video would not be helpful at all in a video-replay situation. REALLY lousy resolution from too far away, and often the camera isn't even looking the right way because some slight movement on the other end of the court got it to swing over that way.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
That was one thing I noticed during my time down at Torrey Pines, however. Lots of times, like maybe even more than once per game, the refs missed that someone stepped out while in possession or at least touching the ball. Was probably more, with some occurring on the other side or end where I couldn't catch it...

Nothing even remotely close to that level of ineptitude up here in NorCal...

Sat Feb 12th Scores
  • Serra 51 @ Mitty 67
  • St. Francis 45 @!Riordan 51
  • SHC 52 @ Bellarmine 74
  • St. Ignatius 73 @ Valley Christian 51

Last edited:
Tues Feb 15th Season Finale Scores
  • SI 56 @ Serra 64
    • SI loses to the Padres who were without their best player 6-8 Keyhani in the Jungle Game.
  • Riordan 62 @ SHC 59
    • Achilles Woodson with the game winning 3 as the Irish take the Crusaders to the wire. Riordan clinches 2nd place with SI's loss to Serra
  • St. Francis 64 @ Bellarmine 58
    • Lancers with the tough road win in San Jose.
  • Valley Christian 50 @ Mitty 54
    • Monarchs with the win on Senior night.
Next: CCS seedings tomorrow.

Mitty and Riordan entered the season replacing 4 starters and finish 1st and 2nd respectively in spite of going up against senior laden teams in SI, St. Francis and Serra. Will be interesting how the CCS Open teams are seeded.
How does Valley Christian qualify for the post season with both sub .500 overall and league records? Shouldn’t SHC qualify too?

Last edited:
Mitty and Riordan entered the season replacing 4 starters and finish 1st and 2nd respectively in spite of going up against senior laden teams in SI, St. Francis and Serra. Will be interesting how the CCS Open teams are seeded.
How does Valley Christian qualify for the post season with both sub .500 overall and league records? Shouldn’t SHC qualify too?
Rules are rules. You only qualify for playoffs if you have .500 non-league OR .500 league record. SHC hoops programs (boys and girls) have take a gigantic step back. The girls at least made the playoffs by correctly having a non-league schedule against teams they are competitive with. When league play happened... well... it wasnt pretty. The boys side did schedule a similar "winnable" non-league, however due to the success of the football team, key players did not play those games they likely would've won and finished with at least a .500 non-league record and qualify for CCS D3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT