ADVERTISEMENT

USF DONS BASEBALL

BKWRDKUROUT

Sports Fanatic
Apr 28, 2007
Nino's club got off to a cranky start. I notice Manny Ramirez Jr is playing for the Dons
http://www.usfdons.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2722&path=baseball

Meanwhile - is Ed Sprague untouchable? UOP has started off 0-11.
http://www.pacifictigers.com/sports/m-basebl/2014-15/schedule

This post was edited on 3/3 4:10 PM by BKWRDKUROUT

Manny Junior

This is what Nino Giarratano said at the Bay Area media day in February: Early front runner for quote of the year.

"He looks a lot like Pops," Giarratano said of the younger Ramirez. "He plays defense a lot like Pops.

Yes. Struggling with young team (particularly middle relief) but things will improve. Coach Giarratano is a great human being along the lines of Dante Benedetti. School got approval for new field. Construction begins this summer! Well overdue

I read somewhere that home plate will then be in the LF corner .....Somewhere Dante is grimacing ...
grin.r191677.gif

Yes, from what I understand they are reconfiguring the layout. I've also heard CF as the new location. Regardless, as a baseball alum, exciting to see the new plans for the field...

New stadium at USF ! Tough year last year but this is new year. Lots of position players returning, a solid group led by sure handed SS Nico Giarratano and OF Matt Sinatro who had a breakout year. Dons looks solid at all position returning 12 position players from last years 2016 team. I scouted some games in the summer and saw a much improved Aaron Ping, he should help the Dons if the power he showed in the summer continues to the 2017 season. Freshman Tyler Villaroman joins the Dons from Serra High School, I scouted many of his games and he should challenge for one of the OF starting position. If pitching improves, Dons may have a good year. That would be great for the new stadium.

As for the Dons pitching, Senior James Kannenburg had a good season in 2016 and hopes are he will continue pitching well in 2017. The Dons will need improvement with their pitching staff and 2nd year pitching Coach Matt Heiserman will have his hands full. The Dons hopes some JC transfers can help shore up the staff, RHP Brendan Jenkins comes to the Hill from Cuesta College and is expected to contribute in 2017 season. As for the 2016 pitching recruits (my specialty) the Dons have a few players I saw in their 2017 rooster that may contribute in 2017. Starting with Jake Pizzo from Bullard High School, a past prospect for CSF but injury to his elbow cause CSF to cancel their commitment. I've seen him pitch before his injury, decent fastball 81-84 mhp, curve and off speed, hits his location, 3/4 arm slot. Saw him at the 2014 Perfect Game Underclass All American Games and 2015 California World Series Upper Class. If he is past his URL injury and he improves his velocity and strength, he may be able to give the Dons some help. He looked fully matured physically in 2015, along with an injury to overcome; it may be awhile before he contributes for the Dons. But he is a hard worker so I see him contributing in the 2017 season if he is healthy. Another freshman prospect I was surprised to see on the USF roster is Riley Ornido, RHP from Saint Francis High School. He was a member of the back to back open division CCS Championship team. I first saw him pitch an inning 2013 AZ Fall Classic as a sophomore, 5ft 11", thin long very lanky. I thought I was watching a younger twin of Tim Lincecum. Throwing 84 mhp, split and slider/curve. Oregon State Coach Pat Bailey was impressed and immediately showed his interest in the prospect but I heard from the grapevine he wanted to be in Ca. I saw him again in 2015 Perfect Game event in Oakland Ca. where I was an invited scout and he was best pitcher there. He was 6'2" 165pds, still looks thin and lanky but strong. Fastball topped out at 88mph, +curve/slider, +split. He threw 3 innings struck out 7 batters, 0 hits. Not sure about quality of hitters at event but he struck out 3 high prospects and the only two ground outs were bunt outs. I talked with SFHS coaches and they says he has unlimited potential but sometimes have trouble with command. Further inquire pegs his command issues with rapid growth. 5' 9" in 2013 as a freshman at SFHS. I last saw him in Compton, Ca for Palomino USA Western Championship, he broke 7 bats at the all wood tournament pitching a whole game with 11 SO over 7 innings , a win and throwing in the 90's (my radar ran out of batt so I had to get readings from a fellow scout). I wrote up a very aggressive writeup on this kid and barring further growing issues, he can be big for Dons in 2017 and through the rest of his career at USF. Huge upside looks like he's still growing and filling in. Fans of USF will be treated with a hard throwing Big Tim alike pitcher.

With the big interest in the SF Giants in the Bay Area, I’m hoping fans come to watch USF baseball in their beautiful new stadium.

Looking forward to catching a few Dons games this season. Saint Francis always produces great players, rumor is they picked up a freshman from the north peninsula who is a flat out gamer.

Reactions: prepfanba
New stadium at USF ! Tough year last year but this is new year. Lots of position players returning, a solid group led by sure handed SS Nico Giarratano and OF Matt Sinatro who had a breakout year. Dons looks solid at all position returning 12 position players from last years 2016 team. I scouted some games in the summer and saw a much improved Aaron Ping, he should help the Dons if the power he showed in the summer continues to the 2017 season. Freshman Tyler Villaroman joins the Dons from Serra High School, I scouted many of his games and he should challenge for one of the OF starting position. If pitching improves, Dons may have a good year. That would be great for the new stadium.

As for the Dons pitching, Senior James Kannenburg had a good season in 2016 and hopes are he will continue pitching well in 2017. The Dons will need improvement with their pitching staff and 2nd year pitching Coach Matt Heiserman will have his hands full. The Dons hopes some JC transfers can help shore up the staff, RHP Brendan Jenkins comes to the Hill from Cuesta College and is expected to contribute in 2017 season. As for the 2016 pitching recruits (my specialty) the Dons have a few players I saw in their 2017 rooster that may contribute in 2017. Starting with Jake Pizzo from Bullard High School, a past prospect for CSF but injury to his elbow cause CSF to cancel their commitment. I've seen him pitch before his injury, decent fastball 81-84 mhp, curve and off speed, hits his location, 3/4 arm slot. Saw him at the 2014 Perfect Game Underclass All American Games and 2015 California World Series Upper Class. If he is past his URL injury and he improves his velocity and strength, he may be able to give the Dons some help. He looked fully matured physically in 2015, along with an injury to overcome; it may be awhile before he contributes for the Dons. But he is a hard worker so I see him contributing in the 2017 season if he is healthy. Another freshman prospect I was surprised to see on the USF roster is Riley Ornido, RHP from Saint Francis High School. He was a member of the back to back open division CCS Championship team. I first saw him pitch an inning 2013 AZ Fall Classic as a sophomore, 5ft 11", thin long very lanky. I thought I was watching a younger twin of Tim Lincecum. Throwing 84 mhp, split and slider/curve. Oregon State Coach Pat Bailey was impressed and immediately showed his interest in the prospect but I heard from the grapevine he wanted to be in Ca. I saw him again in 2015 Perfect Game event in Oakland Ca. where I was an invited scout and he was best pitcher there. He was 6'2" 165pds, still looks thin and lanky but strong. Fastball topped out at 88mph, +curve/slider, +split. He threw 3 innings struck out 7 batters, 0 hits. Not sure about quality of hitters at event but he struck out 3 high prospects and the only two ground outs were bunt outs. I talked with SFHS coaches and they says he has unlimited potential but sometimes have trouble with command. Further inquire pegs his command issues with rapid growth. 5' 9" in 2013 as a freshman at SFHS. I last saw him in Compton, Ca for Palomino USA Western Championship, he broke 7 bats at the all wood tournament pitching a whole game with 11 SO over 7 innings , a win and throwing in the 90's (my radar ran out of batt so I had to get readings from a fellow scout). I wrote up a very aggressive writeup on this kid and barring further growing issues, he can be big for Dons in 2017 and through the rest of his career at USF. Huge upside looks like he's still growing and filling in. Fans of USF will be treated with a hard throwing Big Tim alike pitcher.

With the big interest in the SF Giants in the Bay Area, I’m hoping fans come to watch USF baseball in their beautiful new stadium.

Great insight.

Any photos of the New Yard?

http://syntheticbaseballfields.blogspot.com/2016/04/benedetti-diamond.html

This duplicates Portland's new all synthetic field, except Benedetti has a really short backstop, but not unproportional like the old footprint. Ironically, the major benefactor for the Pilots is well known in the SF community, the Renda family. More practice time and more availability for clinics for kids which increases value for the program. It'll be faster for the IFers, and they'll learn quickly how to keep a tag on all the way through a slide as the bulk of the WCC has dirt and grass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT