ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2018 - San Jose Merc All Bay Area Team

I think Menlo Atherton has the potential to be top 3-4 in CCS this year with 4 players with D1 offers - Noa Ngalu, Sr, 6-2, 285 DT/G/RB, committed to WA; Daniel Heimuli, Sr, ILB, 6-2,220, 4 star LB with 23+ offers including Alabama; Troy Franklin, Soph, WR/CB, 6-3, 170, super athletic with offers already from Oregon State, Arizona State, Hawaii, Utah, San Jose State; and Justin Anderson, Jr, 6-0, 170, CB/WR, 3 star recruit with offers from Iowa State, Washington State and Utah and probably 2-4 others that will have offers. They also have transfers from St Francis and Kinds Academy that will contribute. The big question mark is QB and they return one that is mobile and a very accurate passer. Line will be big and physical. I think they will be better than last season with plenty of playmakers on offense. They under achieved last season, but I think they may finally achieve.

Still Bells could surprise in WCAL. Other than SF and Serra at the top (even VC has some question marks although tend to reload as does Mitty which should be better than last season), Bells should be competitive at the next tier after the top two. Both seniors and juniors had reasonably strong frosh seasons. Interestingly, the Bells have some size on the line which may be a benefit to their watch paint dry grindem ball control offense.

WCAL 2018 Projected Order of Team Finish:

#5 St. Ignatius “Wildcats”

The Wildcats are a bit of a question mark for this season as they are rated about the same as they ended the 2017 season – not better or not worse, but about the same. S.I. ended the league season at 2-5 or same as Mitty & Bells [also 2-5]. It was an up & down season for S.I. as they lost 2 games which possibly they should have won against SHC & Riordan by 1 score each. On the flip side S.I. had 2 “minor upsets” in winning over both Mitty 22-21 and Bellarmine 28-21. St. Ignatius averaged 17 points on offense while giving up an avg of 28 on defense putting S.I. near the bottom in both categories among WCAL teams.

Looking forward S.I. is projected based upon their schedule to finish this season with the same record as last year which was 3-7. S.I.’s pre-season is a likely 1-2 scenario in which they will need to win over Palo Alto and a win over either Campolindo or a tough Gonzaga Prep squad out of Spokane seems unlikely. That would leave S.I. needing 2 league wins to equal their 2017 record. S.I.’s JV & Frosh were not terrible, but were not outstanding either. S.I. has an outstanding & highly rated Lacrosse program which could possibly be diluting the pool of talent normally attracted to the football team [thoughts anyone?].

The bottom line is S.I. needs a few quality skill players and a solid reload of their defense. Like the other smaller roster teams’ we’ll likely see some 2-way starters and injuries could likely play a roll in the 2nd ½ of the season. The coaching staff for S.I. has their job cut out for them and will need to mix up both their offensive & defensive schemes if they are to win more than 3 games for 2018.

Serra vs. Serra at the Honor Bowl August 25

S.gif

9db04d17-5042-4596-a9bb-0c906412c2e6.jpg

The defending D2-AA state-champion Serra Padres will open their football season in an All-American atmosphere on August 25 in Mountain View.

The Serra football program has been selected to participate in The Honor Bowl series of high school football games to start the season. Sponsored by The Honor Group, the Honor Bowl series evokes the pageantry and spirit of high school athletics and combines it with an awareness campaign for veterans of the United States Military.

The Padres will kick off at 7:30 p.m. on August 25 at Saint Francis High School. An unfamiliar opponent with a recognizable name will await the Padres in Serra High School of Gardena, Ca. The two Serra schools are both ranked in Cal-Hi Sports' Top 30 state-wide teams in its annual pre-season rankings. The game will be streamed on Facebook Live.

The Honor Group, Inc. is a nationally-recognized nonprofit that educates youth and coaches about the needs of our military veterans. The organization will partner with the San Francisco 49ers to celebrate the National Football League's Salute to Service initiative, which honors the military and the sacrifices they make on behalf of our country.

"We are humbled to be selected by the Honor Bowl Committee to participate in this great event," said Serra San Mateo Head Football Coach Patrick Walsh. "There is nothing better than our American military and the men and women who serve in it. The Honor Bowl game will give us an opportunity to compete at the highest level against another Catholic school with similar values. It will also give us an opportunity to pay respect the American military and the Serra Padres who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces. The game will be very difficult and will test our courage and relationships that we are beginning to forge here in early August."

"Playing in the Honor Bowl will be a great opportunity for our team," agreed Serra San Mateo quarterback Luke Bottari. "To play for your country and the veterans is such a huge honor. It will be exciting to play the other Serra; there is lots of excitement around this one!"

The Honor Group was founded in 2013 by two high school football coaches and a Gold Star mother whose son was killed in action in Afghanistan. The San Francisco 49ers announced a three-year partnership with The Honor Group last August. The 49ers work with The Honor Group to educate youth and support ill and wounded military veterans.

"The Honor Bowl represents everything that is great about sports and competition," said 49ers President Al Guido. "The relationship between our organizations came together due to our shared values of supporting youth football and educational opportunity, as well as the active and veteran military who defend our country."

During the two-day celebration, the participating teams will visit Levi's® Stadium to spend time with wounded warriors, Gold Star parents and 49ers alumni. Before each game, fans will be greeted by on-field military pageantry with a focus on patriotism, honor and sacrifice. During the past six years, The Honor Bowl has hosted more than 64 varsity football teams from seven different states.

"Bringing together students, coaches and the community through sport to raise awareness of the sacrifice of our veterans is core to the Honor Group," said The Honor Group Executive Director and Founder Mark Soto. "Over the years, we have grown into the best pre-season high school football showcase in America and we're excited to bring the 2018 Honor Bowl to the Bay Area."

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Serra vs. Serra at the Honor Bowl August 25

S.gif

9db04d17-5042-4596-a9bb-0c906412c2e6.jpg

The defending D2-AA state-champion Serra Padres will open their football season in an All-American atmosphere on August 25 in Mountain View.

The Serra football program has been selected to participate in The Honor Bowl series of high school football games to start the season. Sponsored by The Honor Group, the Honor Bowl series evokes the pageantry and spirit of high school athletics and combines it with an awareness campaign for veterans of the United States Military.

The Padres will kick off at 7:30 p.m. on August 25 at Saint Francis High School. An unfamiliar opponent with a recognizable name will await the Padres in Serra High School of Gardena, Ca. The two Serra schools are both ranked in Cal-Hi Sports' Top 30 state-wide teams in its annual pre-season rankings. The game will be streamed on Facebook Live.

The Honor Group, Inc. is a nationally-recognized nonprofit that educates youth and coaches about the needs of our military veterans. The organization will partner with the San Francisco 49ers to celebrate the National Football League's Salute to Service initiative, which honors the military and the sacrifices they make on behalf of our country.

"We are humbled to be selected by the Honor Bowl Committee to participate in this great event," said Serra San Mateo Head Football Coach Patrick Walsh. "There is nothing better than our American military and the men and women who serve in it. The Honor Bowl game will give us an opportunity to compete at the highest level against another Catholic school with similar values. It will also give us an opportunity to pay respect the American military and the Serra Padres who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces. The game will be very difficult and will test our courage and relationships that we are beginning to forge here in early August."

"Playing in the Honor Bowl will be a great opportunity for our team," agreed Serra San Mateo quarterback Luke Bottari. "To play for your country and the veterans is such a huge honor. It will be exciting to play the other Serra; there is lots of excitement around this one!"

The Honor Group was founded in 2013 by two high school football coaches and a Gold Star mother whose son was killed in action in Afghanistan. The San Francisco 49ers announced a three-year partnership with The Honor Group last August. The 49ers work with The Honor Group to educate youth and support ill and wounded military veterans.

"The Honor Bowl represents everything that is great about sports and competition," said 49ers President Al Guido. "The relationship between our organizations came together due to our shared values of supporting youth football and educational opportunity, as well as the active and veteran military who defend our country."

During the two-day celebration, the participating teams will visit Levi's® Stadium to spend time with wounded warriors, Gold Star parents and 49ers alumni. Before each game, fans will be greeted by on-field military pageantry with a focus on patriotism, honor and sacrifice. During the past six years, The Honor Bowl has hosted more than 64 varsity football teams from seven different states.

"Bringing together students, coaches and the community through sport to raise awareness of the sacrifice of our veterans is core to the Honor Group," said The Honor Group Executive Director and Founder Mark Soto. "Over the years, we have grown into the best pre-season high school football showcase in America and we're excited to bring the 2018 Honor Bowl to the Bay Area."
Fun Fact: Serra - Gardena (South Central Los Angeles) is the sister school to Archbishops Riordan and Mitty as they were founded by the Marianists. They are always near the top of SoCal Football and turn out D1 Football players every year. Should be a great matchup as the Cavaliers are big, strong, fast and athletic.
https://www.la-serrahs.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=146647&type=d&pREC_ID=530938

Having visited that Gardena campus on two occasions recently, it is quite amazing that the school, located in a tough neighborhood, produces more than its share of quality athletes, both male and female. Serra-Gardena's facilities are far less comprehensive and modern when compared to those at Serra-San Mateo.

[QUOTE="colhenrylives, post: 203499, member: 968"]Having visited that Gardena campus on two occasions recently, it is quite amazing that the school, located in a tough neighborhood, produces more than its share of quality athletes, both male and female. Serra-Gardena's facilities are far less comprehensive and modern when compared to those at Serra-San Mateo.[/QUOTE]

Interesting observation colhenry - possibly nothing more than population density of SoCal?

Fun Fact: Serra - Gardena (South Central Los Angeles) is the sister school to Archbishops Riordan and Mitty as they were founded by the Marianists. They are always near the top of SoCal Football and turn out D1 Football players every year. Should be a great matchup as the Cavaliers are big, strong, fast and athletic.
https://www.la-serrahs.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=146647&type=d&pREC_ID=530938

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I predict Serra will win.

[QUOTE="colhenrylives, post: 203499, member: 968"]Having visited that Gardena campus on two occasions recently, it is quite amazing that the school, located in a tough neighborhood, produces more than its share of quality athletes, both male and female. Serra-Gardena's facilities are far less comprehensive and modern when compared to those at Serra-San Mateo.

Interesting observation colhenry - possibly nothing more than population density of SoCal?[/QUOTE]

Not sure. Much different demographic in the Southland. Quasi-urban vs. suburban on the Peninsula. Lots of speed at the Gardena school.

Page is now at Riordan.....JK! Lol! With all the transfer activity going on in the City I couldn’t resist. Definitely a huge hit for the Lancers. VC now moves up as a challenger to the Padres.

Rumor is Page is at Menlo Atherton working out with team trying to enroll

Rumor is Page is at Menlo Atherton working out with team trying to enroll
Hope things workout for Page wherever he ends up. It's too bad, this current St. Francis team is perhaps the most talented I've seen since the Chase Lyman, Bernard Thomas, Ronald Nunn etc. cohort in 1999. The Lancers will be okay, they always have a host of good runner/athlete types. They won't replace with anyone as talented as Page, but they have one of the best lines I've ever seen them assemble and their RB is still going to get yards. They also have a very formidable pass game with lengthy and speedy receivers.

Hope things workout for Page wherever he ends up. It's too bad, this current St. Francis team is perhaps the most talented I've seen since the Chase Lyman, Bernard Thomas, Ronald Nunn etc. cohort in 1999. The Lancers will be okay, they always have a host of good runner/athlete types. They won't replace with anyone as talented as Page, but they have one of the best lines I've ever seen them assemble and their RB is still going to get yards. They also have a very formidable pass game with lengthy and speedy receivers.

Excellent points. Last year's version of the Lancers was loaded with talent as well. Lots of those guys are back for more. The roster is a regional all-star team. How Serra beat them twice last year is a huge credit to the Padres and their coaching staff.

is there a Serra around the country that is actually not good in sports?

Chase Lyman, all time Lancer great. Can say he was both equally great in football and basketball. Believe he also was great in track at the high jump. Played a useful career at Cal. Personally, most favorite Lancer football player because of cool name, RB Charles Tharp.

I happened across this 29 minute video produced by GetSportsFocus produced in March 2018. It documents from the end of the 2016 season when Serra lost 42-40 in their 1rst state bowl game to capturing the school's 1rst state title last season. I was not aware of the film and its very well done as it shows just what a remarkable season the Padres had.

Serra Padres Football: "Team of Never"

GetSportsFocus
Published on Mar 22, 2018

"Serra Padres Football: "Team of Never" This is a short documentary about the 2017 Serra HS football team. A team that broke over 85 school records and accomplished something that's never been done before. After a 1-2 pre-season start, the Padres won 12 in a row and became the first football team in the West Catholic Athletic League to win a CIF Football State Championship."

Last edited:
I happened across this 29 minute video produced by GetSportsFocus produced in March 2018. It documents from the end of the 2016 season when Serra lost 42-40 in their 1rst state bowl game to capturing the school's 1rst state title last season. I was not aware of the film and its very well done as it shows just what a remarkable season the Padres had.

Serra Padres Football: "Team of Never"

GetSportsFocus
Published on Mar 22, 2018

"Serra Padres Football: "Team of Never" This is a short documentary about the 2017 Serra HS football team. A team that broke over 85 school records and accomplished something that's never been done before. After a 1-2 pre-season start, the Padres won 12 in a row and became the first football team in the West Catholic Athletic League to win a CIF Football State Championship."

Honestly there is no reason why Serra shouldnt dominate year after year in everything. Theres no other catholic private school in the county that they need to compete with for the athletes. SF (SH, SI, ARHS) and SJ (Bell, AMHS, and VC) both have the 3 schools to compete with.

Honestly there is no reason why Serra shouldnt dominate year after year in everything. Theres no other catholic private school in the county that they need to compete with for the athletes. SF (SH, SI, ARHS) and SJ (Bell, AMHS, and VC) both have the 3 schools to compete with.

Good point, although Sacred Heart Prep is located in Atherton. Another plus: the SF Warriors youth football program has moved to San Mateo.

Haha what? Kids commute for high school these days. Serra directly competes with St. Francis and SI for students, and to a lesser extent all the other WCAL schools, as well as Sacred Heart Prep. Not to mention the excellent public schools in the San Mateo area. The WCAL City schools reach pretty deep into San Mateo County. Serra has a lot of competition, and they have done well to succeed.

Serra has attracted students from San Francisco...and does compete with Riordan and the other City schools to a lesser extent as many kids are from Northern SM County - Daly City, Pacifica, etc.

[B said:
"iamgearyblvd[/B], post: 203584, member: 1806"]Honestly there is no reason why Serra shouldnt dominate year after year in everything. Theres no other catholic private school in the county that they need to compete with for the athletes. SF (SH, SI, ARHS) and SJ (Bell, AMHS, and VC) both have the 3 schools to compete with.

geary - that Serra doesn't compete for their athletes is not true now and never has been. Having gone to Serra and lived in the mid-peninsula for decades I know the athletes are spread out. It's true ARHS, S.I. & SHC are all in close proximity, however those schools are not exactly a great distance away if a student wishes to attend them from down Serra's way. Quite a few parents I've known for example favored S.I. over Serra and their children went there as numerous friends of mine that went to both Bellarmine & St. Francis. Families I know now in the peninsula have son's at both those schools currently. I guess it comes down to the families and what sport or other interest the student is pursuing [for example if Lacrosse then S.I. is the place]. Another factor would be the success of the football program at Serra in recent years which would attract those athletes. Maybe look at the size of the student bodies & why more athletes are not interested in that sport at that particular school. If Riordan won a state title in football would it attract a few more talented athletes and increase roster size across the board? As I noted in previous post the Bell's have the largest male student body of any private in NorCal and yet they finished with a losing record the last 2 season's. The 3 privates that pull students from Serra's locale would be St. Francis, S.I. & Bellarmine likely in that order. Within a mile of Serra you have Aragon & Hillsdale of which both football programs have been improving in the last several years', along with San Mateo High, Burlingame High, Mills, Carlmont & Sequoia all in close proximity to Serra.

Think about this: the closest WCAL to Serra is St. Francis whom Serra did not beat in football for 34 years' in a row.
Conversely currently the 2 top programs are Serra and the other closest WCAL St. Francis [approx. 20 miles apart].

Having visited that Gardena campus on two occasions recently, it is quite amazing that the school, located in a tough neighborhood, produces more than its share of quality athletes, both male and female. Serra-Gardena's facilities are far less comprehensive and modern when compared to those at Serra-San Mateo.

There's been a general exodus of talent from Long Beach Poly to both St. John Bosco and Gardena Serra. Although a small school, the Cavalier program has been able to attract players who wish to compete at a high level.

As you mentioned, Gardena isn't the best of neighborhoods... but, isn't that, theoretically, where a private school like this is needed most?

Reactions: jordan24
geary - that Serra doesn't compete for their athletes is not true now and never has been. Having gone to Serra and lived in the mid-peninsula for decades I know the athletes are spread out. It's true ARHS, S.I. & SHC are all in close proximity, however those schools are not exactly a great distance away if a student wishes to attend them from down Serra's way. Quite a few parents I've known for example favored S.I. over Serra and their children went there as numerous friends of mine that went to both Bellarmine & St. Francis. Families I know now in the peninsula have son's at both those schools currently. I guess it comes down to the families and what sport or other interest the student is pursuing [for example if Lacrosse then S.I. is the place]. Another factor would be the success of the football program at Serra in recent years which would attract those athletes. Maybe look at the size of the student bodies & why more athletes are not interested in that sport at that particular school. If Riordan won a state title in football would it attract a few more talented athletes and increase roster size across the board? As I noted in previous post the Bell's have the largest male student body of any private in NorCal and yet they finished with a losing record the last 2 season's. The 3 privates that pull students from Serra's locale would be St. Francis, S.I. & Bellarmine likely in that order. Within a mile of Serra you have Aragon & Hillsdale of which both football programs have been improving in the last several years', along with San Mateo High, Burlingame High, Mills, Carlmont & Sequoia all in close proximity to Serra.

Think about this: the closest WCAL to Serra is St. Francis whom Serra did not beat in football for 34 years' in a row.
Conversely currently the 2 top programs are Serra and the other closest WCAL St. Francis [approx. 20 miles apart].

Outstanding insight Rmbr! Im not familiar with the middle school pipelines of San Mateo or San Jose but year after year you see SI's rosters filled with kids from Town, and Marin County schools. SH and Riordan, you have the true graduation of kids from SF catholic middle schools. Can argue the prestigious middle schools are an endless pipeline to the SI's, Serra's and St. Francis'of above average athletes which is an envious advantage. SH was lucky for a good amount of years to get players from the SF Warriors teams. I dont know if that will continue since the above poster mentioned they have moved.

A big factor in determining what school a family chooses comes down to how much money they are receiving, I have spoken to many families over the years about schools and what would be the best fit for their son or daughter. Years ago it was about finding the best place for their child both on and off the court/ field, now I hear parents telling me I’m going here because we are getting more money than over there, despite the place chosen is not a good fit. SMH.

I’m not suggesting or alleging anything about anybody or school I’m just giving you my experience. And quite frankly the system is broken.

Now, I will change gears, I don’t like the Riordan Crusaders being picked last, I believe you may have miscalculated their improvement. Having said that, let’s see what they have starting Friday night.

Last edited:
rabbit5 is correct in the financial assistance aspect as for years Riordan was at a significant disadvantage over its fellow WCAL schools. I also have friends who have sent their kids to other schools because of this fact. It has steadily improved on Phelan Ave. (err Frida Kahlo Way-smh!) with the current admin, and appears the new model can be sustained...
Time for kick-off!!!

#4 Mitty “Monarchs”

Mitty finished last season at 5-6 overall and just 2-5 in WCAL league play. The Monarchs had some good quality wins over M-A early & Bells before going into a tailspin losing 6 straight to end the season. With that being said is there any reason for optimism that Mitty will be any better in 2018? My opinion is yes Mitty should be a better team this season than last. Mitty was up & down last season and fell short on some missed opportunities such as winning over Riordan 43-0 and then losing 22-21 to S.I. The biggest missed opportunity though was in week #9 in a narrow loss to Valley Christian by 31-28 – the same Valley Christian that beat St. Francis – the same SF who lost to Serra by 1-point in the CCS Open II Championship. The following week Mitty dropped another game they were capable of winning by 35-25 to the SHC Irish. If Mitty had won the S.I., VC & SHC games they would have instead been 8-5 overall and 5 -2 in league. It’s all shoulda, woulda, coulda, but does show me that Mitty was capable of playing better.

For 2018 I’m picking Mitty as my “dark horse’ of the league as being the biggest question mark. The Monarch’s are 1 of only 2 teams with a returning starting QB [the other being Serra & Riordan brings back its soph from last year lost for the season in the 1rst game]. For anyone following the WCAL for any length of time a returning QB is a huge plus and gives Mitty some instant credibility. Mitty’s QB Shamir Bey was the WCAL soph POY and is a good one. Bey is 6’3 – 195 and was the 4th rated QB in the 8 team WCAL last season behind Botari of Serra, Will Irons of SHC & Reed Vettel of SF. Bey threw 17 TD’s with only 5 Int’s and completed 53%. On a per game basis Bey moves ahead of Reed Vettel as the actual #3 QB from last season. Once again Bey was a soph last season. Bey is an athlete QB and can run as well as throw making him a true double threat other than Botari of Serra [Botari is the better pure passer while Bey is the more gifted runner]. Bey as a runner rushed for almost 800 yards with 11 TD’s and nearly a 6 yard APC. Besides Bey Mitty’s top RB returns in James Thomas who doubles as DB and is 6’0-170. Thomas rushed for 600 yards, added 5 TD’s and a 7.7 APC. Mitty also returns its best WR in Joseph Vaughn 6’3-190 as well as Jonah Advincula 6’0-180 who is another capable target with varsity experience. The #2 RB also returns in Chaz Saenz who rushed for over 500 yards in ’17. Vaughn & Thomas who also play SS & DB will add experience on D as well. Looking at these players Mitty should have among the best backfields in the WCAL with all starters returning at the skill positions. The keys are Mitty’s D which must show improvement over last season and to keep its QB Bey from injury. It may be in Mitty’s best interest to reduce the number of carries for Bey from last season from an average of 12 @ per game which is a lot [Serra’s QB in 2016 Leki Nunn had similar carries per game but missed a number of games due to injuries which Mitty cannot afford]. This Mitty team has the potential if they can put it together this season.

Serra's primary enrollment draws are from Redwood City through South San Francisco. Two outstanding public high school districts are within that general area: Sequoia Union and San Mateo Union. To upgrade the facilities at their 10 large comprehensive campuses, taxpayers in those districts have lavished more than $1.5 billion in construction bonds (including interest and fees) over the last 20 years. All 10 schools have been dramatically upgraded and modernized. For Serra, competing with those schools is a never-ending challenge. The facilities at South San Francisco Unified's two schools, El Camino and South City, are not on a par with those in Sequoia and San Mateo.

Reactions: Rmbr26
Now, I will change gears,
I don’t like the Riordan Crusaders being picked last, I believe you may have miscalculated their improvement. Having said that, let’s see what they have starting Friday night.

I am rooting for Riordan rabbit5 and as I said I hope they prove me wrong. I go by data & that's about it regardless of my personal feelings. While I think Riordan promotes their football program more than SHC or S.I. I can only go by the past season. In 2017 Riordan was last in offense and defense by a wide margin. While they managed the 1 league win over S.I. by a single score the Crusader's lost by 3 TD's to the Irish. None of the 3 SF teams has a solid core of returning players so basically we start the season based upon last season until a team proves otherwise. Make sense?

I am rooting for Riordan rabbit5 and as I said I hope they prove me wrong. I go by data & that's about it regardless of my personal feelings. While I think Riordan promotes their football program more than SHC or S.I. I can only go by the past season. In 2017 Riordan was last in offense and defense by a wide margin. While they managed the 1 league win over S.I. by a single score the Crusader's lost by 3 TD's to the Irish. None of the 3 SF teams has a solid core of returning players so basically we start the season based upon last season until a team proves otherwise. Make sense?
Have to wait for the first three weeks of the season to make any real evaluation but can't argue with the "team proves otherwise" approach.

Last edited:

At some point someday, one of the three SF teams (who knows, maybe two of them) will develop an actual, consistent, well-funded, comprehensive, attractive football program (assuming the sport retains a measure of strong popularity in the face of all of the well-known concerns and survives as we know it). But that day does not appear to be imminent. That said, the challenges the trio faces from the five southern WCAL outfits aren't going away. The imbalance continues, with occasional blips on the radar screen. It's a WCAL dilemma.

Last edited:

#3 Valley Christian Warrior’s

It was a “no-decision” as to the #3 spot in my predictions as VC finished the season 9-3 and 2nd in league, but when all was said & done both Serra & SF were clearly a level above the Warrior’s. Some might argue that VC finished with the better league record, however that is based simply on the 1-score win over the Lancer’s. SF went on to lose the CCS Open II to Serra by 1-point then advanced to win their own state title by winning over 2 very solid opponents. VC lost to Manteca whom SF won over in the NorCal semi-final & also suffered 2 lopsided losses to Serra along with a 2-point win over Mitty whom lost badly to both SF & Serra.

Where VC will end up this season is anyone’s guess, but let’s look at what we do know. VC season to season rarely is lacking on a stable of good running backs and a solid ground game. On the flip side similar to Bellarmine the Warrior’s passing game is in need of a major revamp. Once a team who lives by the run game falls behind against a team with a credible passing game the team without a passing game is doomed. When VC played Serra twice in league and the playoffs this occurred in both games. VC & Bell’s passed among the least of the 8 teams in WCAL and VC’s passing percentage was below 50% [when fewer pass attempts usually results in a higher completion percentage]. VC lost its best WR in Alton Julian one of the best in WCAL to graduation & who caught most of the passes last season accounting for 12 TD’s.

So the QB spot and passing game is again a big question for VC if to challenge SF & Serra. The Warrior’s reload at RB/WR’s and should have solid line play once again based upon returning players. VC had a good JV team & undefeated Frosh so that in itself should benefit the varsity with some new talent.
The defense last season was not lacking for good players, but simply on the field too long in the 2 losses to Serra. Looking back VC suffered the 2-point loss to a good Manteca team & then lost twice to Serra who captured a state crown – hardly a poor season, but still disappointing to its fans & players.
If & I say “IF” VC’s offensive coaching staff can install a new offensive scheme incorporating an efficient short passing game then VC is capable of an even better season this year.

#2 St. Francis

Depending on point of few some will argue that the Lancer’s are the favorite to dethrone Serra this season as the top WCAL team. Both teams lost a lot of good players to graduation yet both return a solid core of players. Both teams had good JV teams & SF also had a solid Frosh team while Serra’s frosh finished near last place [edge SF]. In the 2 meetings last season Serra prevailed 31-21 during league and then a 31-30 nail biter in which Serra was lucky to win the Open II Championship. That Open Championship was the toughest win of Serra’s season IMO.

It’s possible I could have given SF the edge until the news surfaced that Darrell Page the Lancer’s CCS leading rusher for 2017 was no longer on the team. This is a huge blow to SF no matter how any fans spin it that there are other capable RB’s who will “shoulder the load” so to speak. Without Page the edge now shifts to Serra. SF has 2 excellent WR’s and DB’s in Evan Williams & Maurice Wilmar [edge SF] if the new starting QB can get the ball in their hands. Opeti Fangupo returns as the FB and MLB and a solid piece of the puzzle on both sides of the ball. The Lancer OL/DL look solid and BIG once again.

Reed Vettel had 3 years varsity experience and played in 2 state bowl games, so a big void to fill. How SF fills that void with either a passing QB or athlete/running QB will determine the Lancer’s success for 2018.

It is still not clear where Page is enrolled.

#2 St. Francis

Depending on point of few some will argue that the Lancer’s are the favorite to dethrone Serra this season as the top WCAL team. Both teams lost a lot of good players to graduation yet both return a solid core of players. Both teams had good JV teams & SF also had a solid Frosh team while Serra’s frosh finished near last place [edge SF]. In the 2 meetings last season Serra prevailed 31-21 during league and then a 31-30 nail biter in which Serra was lucky to win the Open II Championship. That Open Championship was the toughest win of Serra’s season IMO.

It’s possible I could have given SF the edge until the news surfaced that Darrell Page the Lancer’s CCS leading rusher for 2017 was no longer on the team. This is a huge blow to SF no matter how any fans spin it that there are other capable RB’s who will “shoulder the load” so to speak. Without Page the edge now shifts to Serra. SF has 2 excellent WR’s and DB’s in Evan Williams & Maurice Wilmar [edge SF] if the new starting QB can get the ball in their hands. Opeti Fangupo returns as the FB and MLB and a solid piece of the puzzle on both sides of the ball. The Lancer OL/DL look solid and BIG once again.

Reed Vettel had 3 years varsity experience and played in 2 state bowl games, so a big void to fill. How SF fills that void with either a passing QB or athlete/running QB will determine the Lancer’s success for 2018.

#1 Serra Padres

It will not be easy for Serra to repeat as WCAL Champs and especially to go undefeated a 2nd season in a row, which would be highly improbable for the WCAL. At least 3 other teams look solid in SF, VC & Mitty of which Serra may have to play 2 of the teams twice. Serra faces 3 big challenges as opposed to 2017.

[1] Serra lost 2 important parts of its coaching staff on offense & defense and the changes in those 2 coordinators’ will likely have some sort of impact. [2] In terms of players lost to graduation Serra will not have the all time TD leader in Isiah Kendricks who was dangerous as both a runner, pass receiver & KO returner. [3] Serra also lost the best WR group in the WCAL to graduation in Patrick Nunn [single season pass reception record], Shane Villaroma [career passing yards leader] and Chris Park an exciting big play WR who also played DB and was very good at both positions along with David Atkins a good possession WR.. No matter who Serra inserts at these positions the WR’s will not be up to par with last years’ group overall. So how can Serra possibly repeat as WCAL Champs with all that talent lost?

Serra overall with SF returns one of the 2 best “core groups” of players from last years’ team. It all starts with their QB Luke Bottari their “X-Factor. As Bottari goes so goes the Padre offense as now the All Time Passing Leader now for Serra with yet another season to go. No matter who the WR’s are Bottari is capable of getting the ball to them. While Kedricks is gone 3 other RB’s return for Serra of which David Coker is the most explosive and I look to have a good year [reminds me of Darrel Page to some degree]. Serra’s soph kicker Damon Lewis one of the best in league last year returns as a junior. Ed Lahlouh played RB and should be a key part of Serra’s D as well. Malakai Rango returns as a DB and arguably one of the best kick returners in league this season. #2 QB Michael Churich 6’6-225 is moved to TE to provide a big target for Bottari and an added dimension to the Padre offense. Keelan O’Riordan return as center [6’1-260] who is an important piece of Serra’s offense as well.

Without a doubt both Serra & SF are loaded with talented players. Both will also reload from incoming new players and Serra will feature some new look coaching as well. How well SF can replace Page is another big question. Either way it looks like another tough, competitive and entertaining season we’re in for.

I will go with that and we can revisit this after the pre season. I’m not saying Riordan is going to win this league but I am saying they have players on both sides of the ball. Their issue is depth and imo that is why they break down each year.

Rmbr26, another exceptional pre-season WCAL review of teams. In fact, I think your analytic skills are at an all-time high. Definitely looking forward to this season.

BINGO! It's just a question if kids want to go to public schools

At some point someday, one of the three SF teams (who knows, maybe two of them) will develop an actual, consistent, well-funded, comprehensive, attractive football program (assuming the sport retains a measure of strong popularity in the face of all of the well-known concerns and survives as we know it). But that day does not appear to be imminent. That said, the challenges the trio faces from the five southern WCAL outfits aren't going away. The imbalance continues, with occasional blips on the radar screen. It's a WCAL dilemma.
It's a WCAL dilemma in football because 3 members schools are in an urban City with declining family populations moving out of the Area and changing demographics.

It's a WCAL dilemma in football because 3 members schools are in an urban City with declining family populations moving out of the Area and changing demographics.

ding ding ding! child populations severely declining in the city and moving to the subs. Millennials dont want kids, LGBT don't have kids, and the ones that do have kids dont have them playing sports.

Reactions: Rmbr26
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT