ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2018 - San Jose Merc All Bay Area Team

WCAL Football 2018 - CCS Rankings after VC & SF Fall & M-A & Wilcox emerge victorius?

The Football Gods have spoken - being Freeman's and may speak later as well.

For now the #1 & #2 teams of the CCS remain Valley Christian & St.Francis despite their respective losses in their NorCal regional playoffs. Meanwhile both M-A & Wilcox prevailed & move on to state bowl games [ie: "SBG" IS the reward]. I would expect if either M-A or Wilcox prevails in state they'll leap frog VC & SF.

CCS Top 10 Currently:
1. VC 11-3
2. SF 11-3
3. M-A 12-2
4. Wilcox 13-1
5. Aptos 11-3
6. Serra 7-5
7. Paly 10-2
8. SHP 11-2
9. King's Academy 11-2
10. Burlingame 11-2 [Somehow I would take Mitty over BGame for the #10 slot & Palma, S.I. are right there too].

Reactions: Defense_Rules
WCAL Football 2018 - CCS Rankings after VC & SF Fall & M-A & Wilcox emerge victorius?

The Football Gods have spoken - being Freeman's and may speak later as well.

For now the #1 & #2 teams of the CCS remain Valley Christian & St.Francis despite their respective losses in their NorCal regional playoffs. Meanwhile both M-A & Wilcox prevailed & move on to state bowl games [ie: "SBG" IS the reward]. I would expect if either M-A or Wilcox prevails in state they'll leap frog VC & SF.

CCS Top 10 Currently:
1. VC 11-3
2. SF 11-3
3. M-A 12-2
4. Wilcox 13-1
5. Aptos 11-3
6. Serra 7-5
7. Paly 10-2
8. SHP 11-2
9. King's Academy 11-2
10. Burlingame 11-2 [Somehow I would take Mitty over BGame for the #10 slot & Palma, S.I. are right there too].

Odd. Burlingame beat TKA. Wilcox beat VC.

[B said:
"colhenrylives[/B], post: 221342, member: 968"]
Odd. Burlingame beat TKA. Wilcox beat VC.

As odd as it seems its the overall picture of games that factors in. VC & SF split, but VC is #1 based upon the 2nd game win. The difference between these 2 teams is negligible as SF won 7-3 in the first game vs VC winning 31 -30 in double O/T in 2nd game. Who would win a 3rd game? Who the hell knows..

As for BGame beating TKA I'm not so sure that falls under a "quality win" category. TKA had an extremely weak schedule & their 2nd best win was a 27-26 [1-point] squeaker win over a truly bad Aragon team this season who got rolled consistently. BGames schedule was in fact even weaker than TKA's and Bgames premiere win was over of all teams TKA!
One flaw in Freeman's rankings is to take overall win records over teams with much more difficult schedules with more losses. I would maintain that Mitty, S.I. as well as SHC would stand a good chance of winning vs both BGame & TKA based upon teams they've played & scores. Very difficult to rate PAL Ocean teams over WCAL teams when Riordan had a stronger schedule by far than any Ocean team.

WCAL Football 2018 - CCS "The Final Four"

SO as it turns out the WCAL's 2 top teams VC & SF both lose their NorCal regional playoff games while PAL Bay champion Menlo-Atherton wins their state bowl game and Wilcox who lost to M-A a week earlier was still able to advance & win their own state bowl game. In the final Freeman's CCS rankings VC remains #1 while SF remains #2 and M-A #3 and Wilcox #4. The 2 teams M-A & Wilcox faced & beat were Lincoln of San Diego & Henry J. Kaiser of Fontana who were not ranked high enough for M-A or Wilcox to overtake the 2 WCAL teams in rankings/ratings. It comes down to the differences in the divisions and how the state playoffs were revised [please see 'powerhouse" Lincoln of SF thread - sorry tongue in cheek over colhenry berated for comments on Lincoln's schedule]. Anyway so a win is s a win correct? Just some wins are better than others & I'll gladly leave it at that.

In the end was the CCS really "down" as many had proclaimed throughout the season? 2 WCAL teams reached NorCal regionals with M-A & Wilcox made it 4 teams from the CCS of which 2 teams ranked #3 & #4 in CCS came home with state division titles. Not sure about just how much down the CCS was this season, but I know what everyone is saying. Football interest overall here in SF, mid-peninsula publics and south bay is not what it is in east bay/north coast & Sac-San Joaquin areas. I have clients who moved to Folsom a few years ago & they are astounded by the entire towns interest in the Folsom football team and the support they receive. It is nothing like the SM County publics here where many games have only a spattering of fans with more people on the field than in the stands. While there has been a decline in public schools HS football rosters/participation one study I read had indicated this phase will start to reverse starting next season. I for one hope that will be the case [not ready for lacrosse, water polo or soccer just yet..].
I am however quickly becoming a Nick Mullens fan for sure!

Folsom a one-school town I'd guess, whereas there are, what, 3 public high schools in San Mateo plus Serra? Think if there was just one high school in fontana like in the old days instead of the 5 there are now. Oldest school in town usually struggles the most too when new schools open.

It’s hard to gauge the overall strength of the sections based on the postseason this year due to the NCS not sending any of their top teams except DLS. Had teams like BOD, CN, Fortuna & Middletown been able to advance, one or more of them may have been able to make a state run, like Liberty. Great job by MA & Wilcox though, great to see.

It’s hard to gauge the overall strength of the sections based on the postseason this year due to the NCS not sending any of their top teams except DLS. Had teams like BOD, CN, Fortuna & Middletown been able to advance, one or more of them may have been able to make a state run, like Liberty. Great job by MA & Wilcox though, great to see.

Also, you have to look at the level/competition they played at. The CCS teams in 2018 played in 1A, 2AA, 3AA, 3A, 4A bowls, which is higher levels than last seasons 2AA, 2A, 3A, 4AA, 4A. But way down from like 2015 which had the CCS play in 1AA, 1A, 2AA, 3AA and 3A. CCS is unquestionably down from 4-5 years ago, and this seems like the new normal. Especially at former power house Bells who are now a shell of their former selves. They used to get 100-150 tryout for Freshman Football teams, but heard that are now only getting 40ish now. Definite shift from years past and explains why all their teams are doing poorly.

MA arguably ends up top CCS team. Kind of fits where I thought they would be if they didn't underachieve with all the talent. Wilcox was a surprise to me. I thought they would be good based on last year, but not that good. WCAL was down this year. Next season will be interesting as far as the WCAL and if they get stronger or if still on down cycle.

WCAL Football 2018 - CCS "The Final Four"

SO as it turns out the WCAL's 2 top teams VC & SF both lose their NorCal regional playoff games while PAL Bay champion Menlo-Atherton wins their state bowl game and Wilcox who lost to M-A a week earlier was still able to advance & win their own state bowl game. In the final Freeman's CCS rankings VC remains #1 while SF remains #2 and M-A #3 and Wilcox #4. The 2 teams M-A & Wilcox faced & beat were Lincoln of San Diego & Henry J. Kaiser of Fontana who were not ranked high enough for M-A or Wilcox to overtake the 2 WCAL teams in rankings/ratings. It comes down to the differences in the divisions and how the state playoffs were revised [please see 'powerhouse" Lincoln of SF thread - sorry tongue in cheek over colhenry berated for comments on Lincoln's schedule]. Anyway so a win is s a win correct? Just some wins are better than others & I'll gladly leave it at that.

In the end was the CCS really "down" as many had proclaimed throughout the season? 2 WCAL teams reached NorCal regionals with M-A & Wilcox made it 4 teams from the CCS of which 2 teams ranked #3 & #4 in CCS came home with state division titles. Not sure about just how much down the CCS was this season, but I know what everyone is saying. Football interest overall here in SF, mid-peninsula publics and south bay is not what it is in east bay/north coast & Sac-San Joaquin areas. I have clients who moved to Folsom a few years ago & they are astounded by the entire towns interest in the Folsom football team and the support they receive. It is nothing like the SM County publics here where many games have only a spattering of fans with more people on the field than in the stands. While there has been a decline in public schools HS football rosters/participation one study I read had indicated this phase will start to reverse starting next season. I for one hope that will be the case [not ready for lacrosse, water polo or soccer just yet..].
I am however quickly becoming a Nick Mullens fan for sure!
Tough to pick the top team in the CCS this year. I think the four top teams were very close to each other and are all pretty evenly matched.

There was a lot of head to head play among the top 4 teams and ironically the top rated team Valley Christian went 1-2 (split with St. Francis and lost to Wilcox) against the other top three teams in head to head games. St. Francis went 1-1 with a split in their two games with VC. Menlo-Atherton went 1-0 with a win over Wilcox and Wilcox went 1-1 with a win over VC and a loss to MA. All the head to head games were one score games.

VC went 11-3 with losses to Wilcox, St. Francis and Liberty. St. Francis went 11-3 with losses to De La Salle, Valley Christian and Del Oro. Wilcox went 14-1 and only lost to Menlo-Atherton. Menlo-Atherton went 13-2 with losses to Valor Christian who was the best team in Colorado and Palma. Palma is the only real bad loss from the top four teams. These four teams were all pretty far above the next group of teams in the section like Aptos, Serra, Palo Alto, Palma, and Sacred Heart Prep.

MA arguably ends up top CCS team. Kind of fits where I thought they would be if they didn't underachieve with all the talent. Wilcox was a surprise to me. I thought they would be good based on last year, but not that good. WCAL was down this year. Next season will be interesting as far as the WCAL and if they get stronger or if still on down cycle.

The key word in MA being ranked the top CCS team for the 2018 season is as you stated "arguably" NorCal. MA to me is a bit of a question mark as its difficult to say how good they were this season. While MA & Wilcox won their NorCal regionals and their respective SBG's the teams both faced were nowhere close to the Liberty & Del Oro squads that VC & SF faced. If the 4 teams switched their NorCal regional opponents there's a good chance the results would have been reversed.
Here's the actual NorCal regional results: VC lost to Liberty 33-21 while SF lost to Del Oro 14-13. MA won over Eureka 27-20 while Wilcox won 34-30 over Capital Christian.

For fun I ran through Freeman's projections switching the teams are here are the results: Del Oro wins over MA by 28-13 and also 35-19 over Wilcox. Liberty wins over MA by 31-12 and also 38-17 over Wilcox.
Now for VC & SF playing MA & Wilcox opponents.
VC wins over Capital Christian by 28-20 while SF would win by 27-14. VC wins over Eureka by 28-18 while SF would win by 26-14.

Its all hypothetical but the teams strength of schedules and scores that make up the ratings are real. In this scenario MA & Wilcox would lose and VC & SF would win over either over their opponents by a wider margin & why I would have a difficult time taking MA over either VC or SF. The 4 closest games between any of these top 4 CCS teams were Wilcox 10-6 over VC first game of season, SF 7-3 over VC mid-season, VC 31-30 over SF post season playoffs in O/T & MA 33-28 over Wilcox in post season playoffs in O/T.

There were 2 common opponents to 3 of the teams:
VC 27-0 over Mitty, SF 28-7 over Mitty, MA 28-21 over Mitty
VC 35-0 over Bells, SF 28-0 over Bells, MA 28-0 over Bells.

The key word in MA being ranked the top CCS team for the 2018 season is as you stated "arguably" NorCal. MA to me is a bit of a question mark as its difficult to say how good they were this season. While MA & Wilcox won their NorCal regionals and their respective SBG's the teams both faced were nowhere close to the Liberty & Del Oro squads that VC & SF faced. If the 4 teams switched their NorCal regional opponents there's a good chance the results would have been reversed.
Here's the actual NorCal regional results: VC lost to Liberty 33-21 while SF lost to Del Oro 14-13. MA won over Eureka 27-20 while Wilcox won 34-30 over Capital Christian.

For fun I ran through Freeman's projections switching the teams are here are the results: Del Oro wins over MA by 28-13 and also 35-19 over Wilcox. Liberty wins over MA by 31-12 and also 38-17 over Wilcox.
VC wins over Capital Christian by 28-20 while SF would win by 27-14. VC wins over Eureka by 28-18 while SF would win by 26-14.

Its all hypothetical but the teams strength of schedules and scores that make up the ratings are real. In this scenario MA & Wilcox would lose and VC & SF would win over either over their opponents by a wider margin & why I would have a difficult time taking MA over either VC or SF. The 4 closest games between any of these top 4 CCS teams were Wilcox 10-6 over VC first game of season, SF 7-3 over VC mid-season, VC 31-30 over SF post season playoffs in O/T & MA 33-28 over Wilcox in post season playoffs in O/T.

True...but Wilcox which was rated lower defeated VC early in the season and MA defeated Wilcox. In the least they were all very close this season.

One flaw in Freeman's rankings is to take overall win records over teams with much more difficult schedules with more losses. I would maintain that Mitty, S.I. as well as SHC would stand a good chance of winning vs both BGame & TKA based upon teams they've played & scores. Very difficult to rate PAL Ocean teams over WCAL teams when Riordan had a stronger schedule by far than any Ocean team.

It's the bonus for winning and the punishment for losing. Ned Freeman argues that winning by 1 point is not close to losing by 1 point. The problem is that it is. If someone beats a closely-rated opponent by 1 point, they actually get as much as a 30-point boost over them. The winning team gets their opponent's adjusted rating +15. The losing team gets their opponent's adjusted rating -15. If those ratings are 22 (W) and 20 (L), respectively, the winner would get a game rating of 35 and the loser 7. That's way too much for a 1-point game.

Reactions: Rmbr26
Very good explanation Cal 14 and nothing there I could argue with.

NorCalSPortsFan - it just occurred to me why you might like to see MA as the undisputed #1 team of the CCS.

Then Palma would be the only CCS team to have beaten MA who went on to win state [I know you're smiling thinking about that :)

Now answer me this: how on earth could Palma take down state champs MA and yet lost to Aptos 49-6 in the CCS playoffs? That had to be perhaps the biggest shocker of all the playoff games. The only difference I can think of off hand is MA was using a different QB the latter part of season. Clues?

NorCalSPortsFan - it just occurred to me why you might like to see MA as the undisputed #1 team of the CCS.

Then Palma would be the only CCS team to have beaten MA who went on to win state [I know you're smiling thinking about that :)

Now answer me this: how on earth could Palma take down state champs MA and yet lost to Aptos 49-6 in the CCS playoffs? That had to be perhaps the biggest shocker of all the playoff games. The only difference I can think of off hand is MA was using a different QB the latter part of season. Clues?

lol... I will say that when I watched M-A play Valor Christian the week after the Palma game, I was very surprised to see how uncreative their play calling was. It was not uncommon to see the same three running plays or three bombs down the left sideline in a given three-and-out series.

When I saw them play Wilcox and Lincoln at the end of the year, it was like an entirely different offensive team. Much better QB play and decision making.

Sometimes you need a loss to kick you in the pants to get you going.

Palma had lots of offensive skill talent and they moved the ball with balance in the MA game MA kept shooting itself in the foot (penalties and bad plays) on offense. MA clearly discounted Palma at the start and Palma had a chip on its shoulder and played well. At the end on OT it was like MA didn't even try and Palma RB willed his way in and MA just gave up on offense (poor play calling as well). The thing I couldn't believe was that Palma defense played almost flawless with exception of a few really good plays by MA WR and QB that scored.Palma had talent last season and were young. Line was undersized and not real physical which was the big surprise that they played well against MA. I think the youth and it seemed when they had a break - off week they came back having terrible games (both Salinas and Aptios loss were after bye weeks). I think bad play calling hurt Palma in the first loss and the defense just played terrible against Aptos and things snowballed. Palma didn't come to play and Aptos did. Palma was one of those teams that was inconsistent. Next season they will be stacked at skill positions (RBs, WRs although QB that has USD offer will have to be replaced). Line may be better than this last season with some size. They will probably use two QBs (one passer and one more athletic)...and I think they will be fine at that position and probably run the ball more but also have dangerous WRs. LBs were young and should be better on defense. Palma will challenge for title next season and probably will be favorite. Salinas will have one of the top QB in the section but not sure they will have more than one player with speed but should be good at least on offense. Aptos should reload some but not as strong as this season. Will be interesting how Carmel does. Hollister will have have speed and will be interesting if they will rebound. I was very surprised when I attended the Palma v MA game and you could see it in MAs body language that they didn't have urgency in the beginning an came out strong in second half but gave up at the end. Strange game.

Reactions: Rmbr26
Nice write up NorCal and a good preview of Gabilan league for next season. From your description it sounds like Palma may be the favorite for 2019 if they can get consistent play at the QB position. Should be interesting.

I saw that 3 locals that officially signed letters of intent were: SF's Josh Pakola DT to Stanford, VC's Skylar Loving-Black TE to Iowa STate and MA's Noa Ngalu to Washington.

VC also has a 42-14 win over Mitty

Grant the two strong CCS publics this much at least: Wilcox and M-A would have been extremely competitive in the WCAL in 2018.

No doubt about it that Wilcox & MA would have been highly competitive in WCAL.

I would have liked to see Serra have played either MA or Wilcox as would have added some add’l insightto the puzzle of the 4 teams & what order they fall in. All the hatd data as per Freeman’s has it VC, SF, MA & then Wilcox. SJ Merc has MA as top CCS team which I believe is based more so on their state title despite a weaker regional foe to get there & a lower rated opponent in the SBG.
I think SF would have clearly been the #1 but for their double O/T loss of 31-30 to VC in the CCS Div II championship.

WCAL Football 2018 - Rmbr26 Pre-Season Predictions and Final Season Records

First off here are the final records for the previous 2017 season and overall order of finish.
Serra 13-2
SF 11-4
VC 9-3
SHC 6-5
Mitty 5-6
Bells 4-7
S.I. 3-7
Riordan 2-8

Here is Rmbr26's pre-season predicted order of finish prior to 2018 start of season:
1. Serra
2. SF
3. VC
4. Mitty
5. S.I.
6. Bells
7. SHC
8. Riordan

Here is the final overall records and order of finish for the 2018 season:
1. VC 11-3
2. SF 11-3
3. Serra 7-5
4. SHC 6-6
5. Mitty 6-6
6. S.I. 3-8
7. Bells 2-8
8. Riordan 1-8

VC avenges losses to both SF & VC for last season and 1rst game this season to SF. VC despite a very limited pass game had a superb defense and run game that was difficult to stop. Not much separated VC & SF as most would agree.
* SF had nearly an identical physical defense as VC with a better pass game. My feeling is these 2 teams could have played 2 more games this season and likely would have split those as well. 2nd year in a row SF loses a heart-breaker by losing in an identical score of 31-30 in O/T in the CCS Div. II Championship to VC as they did with Serra the previous season - talk about deja vu!
* Serra a bit of a puzzle this season and not the team I'd envisioned with the players returning. One reason I pocked Serra was their returning record breaking QB Luke Bottari. Serra lost their best RB early on in David Coker and their reloaded WR's simply were not deep threats or consistent enough to produce. Serra's run game and pass game was either "boom or bust" in blowing out lesser opponents early in games, but falling far short against stronger opponents. Serra physically on the O & D-lines could not match up with VC or SF on either side of the ball. The Serra D played very well at times, but on the filed far too long when the Padre O fell flat with 3 & outs against VC & SF.
* SHC surpassed expectations and had several good wins, though still not able to penetrate the upper tier of WCAL.
There is much hope though for next season with the Irish new QB who was only a soph this season and played admirably.
* Mitty as my "dark horse" disappointed in that there didn;t appear to be much improvement even though they returned some good veteran players for 2017. The QB play faltered later in the season and Monarchs switched to a different QB. Mitty did not compete well against the top tier teams and yet still helps fill the gap between the top and bottom of the league.
* S.I. the "best 3-8 team in the country" [well at least in the CCS], played well at times and lost a number of close games. S.I. competed well, but did not have the numbers, size or talent to compete with the top 3 who rule the league in recent years. S.I. would have a better overall record if they scheduled a softer pre-season as the Wildcats had one of the toughest overall schedules. Signature win was over Mitty.
* The Bells slide deeper into the abyss in a tailspin that doesn't appear over any time too soon. It is a mystery to me that the largest all boys parochial HS in NorCal and a perennial HS football power is now struggling at all levels - frosh, JV & varsity. The drop from "stellar to near cellar" has been sudden & dramatic and must be painful for Bells alumni.
* What more can be said about the Crusaders? This is a team/program in need of complete dismantling and rebuild under a new regime. The rotating coaching staffs, seeiming lack of support by the ARHS admin in promoting the sport & less than stellar facilities have all contributed. The one question that has not been definitively answered is: there are other schools/teams such as SHC with the same hurdles who are able to compete on a higher level with at least other teams such as Mitty & S.I. and make it to the CCS playoffs. Riordan is in a distinct position of being such a perennial losing team that it is hurting any type of recruitment by serious talented athletes in the sport of football.

* Like the middle class the gap between the upper class top tier teams and the lower class bottom tier teams seems to have increased. What used to be 3 solid tiers in the 8 team WCAL League has now evolved into a 2 tier league with SF, VC & Serra and then everyone else. Is there any hope of a reversal of fortune starting in 2019?

* What more can be said about the Crusaders? This is a team/program in need of complete dismantling and rebuild under a new regime. The rotating coaching staffs, seeiming lack of support by the ARHS admin in promoting the sport & less than stellar facilities have all contributed. The one question that has not been definitively answered is: there are other schools/teams such as SHC with the same hurdles who are able to compete on a higher level with at least other teams such as Mitty & S.I. and make it to the CCS playoffs. Riordan is in a distinct position of being such a perennial losing team that it is hurting any type of recruitment by serious talented athletes in the sport of football.
Rmbr, I cannot disagree with you on the current state of Riordan football and its dismal seasons except for 2015...But I would have to disagree on the lack of support of Riordan's admin and community in general. The delayed Field Project was a priority once the new President, Principal, Biz Dev Director and new AD came onboard over the past 2 years. With that said, the Field Project will break ground in May. Also, the Admin realized a wholesale change needed to be made for the football program and it's now underway. Nothing against the proud and devoted Riordan alum that coached over the past few seasons, but you need a experienced coaching skills and organization set to build a competitive program to remain relevant in the tough WCAL. A new field/athletic complex, many returning varsity starters along with a competitive JV team - all is not gloom and doom in CrusaderNation, But we shall see...
Around the rest of the WCAL football landscape I see SF, VC and Serra remaining at the top. I gotta say it was not a good look to have a Padre parent storm the coaches box demanding their kid to play...I'm scratching my head on the Bells' program - 1,600 boys, a stable and successful coaching regime and great facilities...what's missing? Mitty will be in the middle with SI, SHC and Riordan still struggling to remain competitive in the WCAL based simply being in San Francisco.
Happy 2019 and looking forward to August!!!

Last edited:
Rmbr, I cannot disagree with you on the current state of Riordan football and its dismal seasons except for 2015...But I would have to disagree on the lack of support of Riordan's admin and community in general. The delayed Field Project was a priority once the new President, Principal, Biz Dev Director and new AD came onboard over the past 2 years. With that said, the Field Project will break ground in May. Also, the Admin realized a wholesale change needed to be made for the football program and it's now underway. Nothing against the proud and devoted Riordan alum that coached over the past few seasons, but you need a experienced coaching skills and organization set to build a competitive program to remain relevant in the tough WCAL. A new field/athletic complex, many returning varsity starters along with a competitive JV team - all is not gloom and doom in CrusaderNation, But we shall see...
Around the rest of the WCAL football landscape I see SF, VC and Serra remaining at the top. I gotta say it was not a good look to have a Padre parent storm the coaches box demanding their kid to play...I'm scratching my head on the Bells' program - 1,600 boys, a stable and successful coaching regime and great facilities...what's missing? Mitty will be in the middle with SI, SHC and Riordan still struggling to remain competitive in the WCAL based simply being in San Francisco.
Happy 2019 and looking forward to August!!!

Riordan used to get a lot of impact kids in that Daly City/SSF area. They arent going to the purple and gold anymore, they are going to the blue and gold. Reverse this trend and you'll see the results you are looking for.

Reactions: jordan24
Riordan used to get a lot of impact kids in that Daly City/SSF area. They arent going to the purple and gold anymore, they are going to the blue and gold. Reverse this trend and you'll see the results you are looking for.
Based on some of the candidates that have interviewed, that could change.

Reactions: jusfootball
WCAL Football 2018 - San Jose Mercury News All Bay Area Team

Offense: https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/24/prep-football-2018-all-bay-area-news-group-offensive-team/

Defense: https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/24/prep-football-2018-all-bay-area-news-group-defensive-team/

From the WCAL:

1rst Team Offense: Skylar Loving-Black TE - Valley Christian,
1rst Team Offense: Zack Gieg OL - Valley Christian
1rst Team Offense: Mosie Vavao OL - St. Francis
2nd Team Offense: Luke Bottari QB - Serra

Co-Defensive Player of the Year: Joshua Pakola LB - St. Francis
1rst Team Defense: Afa Sanft DL - St. Francis
1rst Team Defense: Judea Moon LB - Valley Christian
Utility 1rst Team Evan Williams DB/WR - St. Francis
2nd Team Defense: Opeti Fangupo LB - St. Francis
2nd Team Defense: Ed Lahlouh LB - Serra
2nd Team Defense" Maurice Wilmar DB - St. Francis
3rd Team Defense: Derrick Smith LB - Mitty
3rd Team Defense: Justin Sinclair DB - SF
3rd Team Utility: Malakai Rango RB/WR/KR/DB - Serra

I just want to stress, because it comes up every year when someone is omitted, this is not an All Bay Area team, but an All Bay Area News Group team. Basically, the East Bay, South Bay and Peninsula, the East Bay Times and Merc’s subscription areas. They do not consider anyone from outside those area such as San Francisco or the North Bay.

Reactions: concrete17 and 1315
I just want to stress, because it comes up every year when someone is omitted, this is not an All Bay Area team, but an All Bay Area News Group team. Basically, the East Bay, South Bay and Peninsula, the East Bay Times and Merc’s subscription areas. They do not consider anyone from outside those area such as San Francisco or the North Bay.

Observer22 is correct in that the “BANG” team is a bit weird in that it omits specific areas which should be included, such as SF - so not a true All Bay Area Team as advertised. A better selection will be the SF All Metro Team which will include all areas/schools of the greater bay area. I noticed this morning that the SJ Merc & BANG newspapers only publish the first teams in the Sunday newspapers(??). The once a year all star team is limited to 1-page in the middle of the sports section. You have to go online (see my previous post for links above) in order to see the 2nd, 3rd team selections as well as honorable mentions. The demise of the hard copy newspaper continues with only partial publication of articles..

Last edited:
Isn't the BANG HS sports dept. down to two writers? If deLa didn't have a first team lineman Ladouceur would freak.

As should any good coach who feels his player(s) is /are deserving.
Crete- too much egg nog? But now that he's handed the over the reins to a new stag, he's simply a "good coach?" HNY! Does ncp trump the study of ACI 318?

Crete- too much egg nog? But now that he's handed the over the reins to a new stag, he's simply a "good coach?" HNY! Does ncp trump the study of ACI 318?

Noooo.....egg nog is for pencil pushers & paper shufflers. Too much Don Julio, perhaps. "Good Coach" is the midwestern roots asserting itself; great got on the bad side of Governor Pilate. Good knowledge about ACI 318, covers both thin shell and hardened structural characteristics, hopefully not grouped in the former. NCP, you lost me

Most definitely ditto on the HNY to you & yours. Keep in contact.

Reactions: 1315
Think he meant NorCal Preps - NCP.

HNY to all.
"GeezLouise, thank god it wasn't a snake.".....Grandma 'Crete

Hope 1315 remembered you when he was passing out Christmas gifts; you are definitely his wingman.

Andddd did I see a post of yours in Girls'B-ball? Move over Bdog and Kidder there's another Post-man delivering the prep mail all around forumsville.....

Last edited:
In reply to the person who asked about the BANG prep sports dept., I believe it consists just of Darren Sabedra, not counting the contributions of some writers at some small suburban papers. Mike Lefkow, as far as I know, is a part-time writer. BANG still leads the way in coverage by a large margin.

In reply to the person who asked about the BANG prep sports dept., I believe it consists just of Darren Sabedra, not counting the contributions of some writers at some small suburban papers. Mike Lefkow, as far as I know, is a part-time writer. BANG still leads the way in coverage by a large margin.

In regards to the San Jose Mercury [part of Bay Area Newspaper Group "BANG"] Prep Sports contributors, here are the ones listed who vote on the rankings they publish each week and 1-2 of them regularly appear on the video clips with discussions about upcoming games. Berdooman is accurate in that Darren Sabedra is the lead guy.

"The voters are myself (Darren Sabedra), Mike Lefkow, Phil Jensen, Vytas Mazeika and Curtis Pashelka."

Nothing against the BANG guys. Heck, I’ve been buying the rag for 30+ years. The Chron does a very comprehensive approach.

"GeezLouise, thank god it wasn't a snake.".....Grandma 'Crete

Hope 1315 remembered you when he was passing out Christmas gifts; you are definitely his wingman.

Andddd did I see a post of yours in Girls'B-ball? Move over Bdog and Kidder there's another Post-man delivering the prep mail all around forumsville.....
O22’s blindside gifting hard to repay. Can’t say I’m quite M40, but after dpop said his flyweights could drop mine I took on a more humorous tack. THAT was funny!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT