ADVERTISEMENT

WCJ 2021 brackets posted

Just asking: How is Oakland Tech in the platinum but C-Let isn't or JSerra in the Emerald and not the diamond? seems like C-Let and Jserra could definitely step up. The brackets look great and another wide range of teams from all over.

The WCJ is like nothing else in the entire US of A. It's a staggeringly ambitious project that boggles the administrative mind. Fabulous. Let's hope the virus doesn't intrude.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Is that 1-6 Sheldon in the Diamond Division?
Oakland Tech is 3-3 with big losses to Salesian, San Ramon Valley and a 6 point loss to Lincoln of Stockton. Big props to Coach Hurt for stepping up and playing the big dogs! I still think there are teams in the Diamond that should be stepping up.

Reactions: Krucker01
Folsom, SI, and everyone else in the NoCal top 10 who are not in the WCJ...Where are you playing that could be better than this tournament?????????????????????

1. St. Mary’s-Stockton (6-1) Previous Rank: #1
2. Mitty (7-0) Previous Rank: #3
3. Salesian (5-1) Previous Rank: #6
4. Folsom (7-0) Previous Rank: #8
5. St. Ignatius (5-0) Previous Rank: #10

6. Carondelet (3-0) Previous Rank: #4
7. Pinewood (2-1) Previous Rank: #2
8. Valley Christian-San Jose (7-0) Previous Rank: #14
9. Vanden (5-1) Previous Rank: #9
10. San Ramon Valley (2-2) Previous Rank: #5

Folsom, SI, and everyone else in the NoCal top 10 who are not in the WCJ...Where are you playing that could be better than this tournament?????????????????????

load management

• Haha
Reactions: Mustange76
My only comment on the brackets is how is Oakland Tech in the Platinum and Clet in the Diamond.

That is ridiculous.

I mean props to OT for taking the challenge but we all know they shouldn't be there.

And Clet and Clay...what the hell???

Come on Clay..Stanford PG and how many other D1 girls? Why isn't Clet in the Platinum?

Are the brackets listed in order of the strength/quality of teams or alphabetically after Platinum and Diamond? I'm not as versed on the breadth and depth of the girls game as the pundits on this board, but Emerald looks to be the third most challenging bracket in the jamboree. Plenty of NCP-ranked teams in the field.

My only comment on the brackets is how is Oakland Tech in the Platinum and Clet in the Diamond.

That is ridiculous.

I mean props to OT for taking the challenge but we all know they shouldn't be there.

Come on Clay..Stanford PG and how many other D1 girls? Why isn't Clet in the Platinum?

That is ridiculous.

Clay says that is good coaching

Is that 1-6 Sheldon in the Diamond Division?
It does look like Sheldon (Sacramento) is 1-6. The four other Sheldon's in the U.S. all have similar losing records, using the MaxPreps search button. Kudos to the coach for playing in the Diamond division. But really, why??

Folsom is playing in Chula Vista at the Gold Crown Holiday Tipoff in the "Baroness bracket" (second highest bracket). Other teams playing in this bracket are Bishop Gorman (NV), Fairmont Prep, Westlake, San Ramon Valley, and Lynwood.

In the top "Gold Crown" bracket is: Sierra Canyon, Bishop Montgomery, and Etiwanda.
https://basketball.exposureevents.com/177243/gold-crown-holiday-tipoff/schedule

The other big tournament is the Southern California Holiday Classic in San Diego. Rosary, Cathedral Catholic, Mission Hills, Long Beach Poly, Orangewood, Esparanza, McClatchy and Oak Ridge are in the top bracket.

General comments:

*After Platinum and Diamond, the Premier brackets are in alphabetical order.

*Sheldon, Oakland Tech and Foothill (Palo Cedro) all requested Elite, and we didn't have 16 teams sign up for Elite. So it was more urging teams to move up.

*Carondelet is hosting. It's impossible to host and play at another site the way the tournament is set up.

*Folsom has played in the Jamboree. SI has played in the Jamboree. We don't expect teams to play every year -- it's fun to do other stuff. SRV apparently does not want to participate in this or any other event I am involved in. I do not know why.

General comments:

*Sheldon, Oakland Tech and Foothill (Palo Cedro) all requested Elite, and we didn't have 16 teams sign up for Elite. So it was more urging teams to move up.

*Carondelet is hosting. It's impossible to host and play at another site the way the tournament is set up.

*Folsom has played in the Jamboree. SI has played in the Jamboree. We don't expect teams to play every year -- it's fun to do other stuff. SRV apparently does not want to participate in this or any other event I am involved in. I do not know why.
srv acting like the bitter ex girlfriend.

and some are going to say how sway that carondelet gets to opt out of platinum on a technicality.

It’s been Kelly’s MO over the years to avoid the tougher teams in favor of racking up wins and achieving better records. It probably helped Clay to convince Kelly to host a lower bracket, to lock in some lower level opponents.

Reactions: OnBall8
General comments:

Don't give us that "it's impossible to host and play" excuse. With all the seupport that C-Let has you could have easily played at Las Positas and then had everyone go back to work the diamond games. One call from Sopak and ALL his Cal-Stars minions would come in a heartbeat to help.

Normally, Clay, you have good reasoning but the reasoning above just doesn't make sense. Just admit that Sopak loves to (every WCJ) sandbag and play in lower divisions to beat up people. You can't be the "pinnacle of girls basketball" if you're not playing the best teams. This is a huge swing and miss for the WCJ.

Seeding the other teams in divisions they shouldn't be in is also not a good thing. If Jake Paul wanted to fight Canelo with his measly resume, it wouldn't happen. people know that it wouldn't be good for the sport as Paul would get MURDERED. Same thing here....signing up for an elite bracket doesn't mean coaching them into playing higher than they should be. Maybe the reason why SRV won't play in this is because of the same reason people are complaining on this board.

This is a big bummer on all levels but that said, I hope it is a success.

yea bruh. every hanger on can stay at carondelet and run the snack bar for shifts. or how about you tell las positas yall get the 2nd best bracket cuz we need the plat to play in. if i were his team i would demand to play in the top bracket. i mean if i really wanted the smoke.

There are reasons for each of those decisions, but for a lot of folks, it won't matter. And it would be a long reply for no purpose really. If you want all the details, email me at claykallam@gmail.com.

How long they'll stay this way is another question ...

Just curious (and I realize sometimes there are reasons things have to vary from the norm), in general, what is the thought process in putting the brackets together? Teams 1-8 in top bracket, then 9-16, then 17-24, then 18-25, etc? Or do you try to balance the brackets, or ????? Thanks!

There are several goals: First, put similar teams in terms of competitive level (regardless of school size) in the same bracket. Second, avoid having two teams from the same league in the same bracket. Third, try to balance the brackets regionally so that teams play teams they wouldn't usually face.

Usually I have more information to work with (last season's info) so there's more guesswork this year.

Can we all step back for a moment. No one is saying the WCJ brackets are the height of perfection. It's an inexact science. Some coaches ask to be placed in certain brackets. Others don't care much. The organizers tweak and adjust. Home courts are what they are. So what? Do we really have to agonize over the dreaded Sopak Factor as though it's a conspiracy ranking right up there with alien life forms held at Area 51 by mutant scientists imported from the X-Files? Let it go. Competing in this affair is voluntary. No one is mandating that teams participate. Yet critics spend time lamenting everything from rigged brackets to home court unfairness to bad lattes at the host hotel. Hey, run your own tournament. Invite only the very best. Or not. Make it a turdfest. And win it. A commitment to operate any tournament isn't a walk in the park. The WCJ bracket winners, bless them all, get some bragging rights into the first week of 2022, then the entire exercise blurs and the regular season and playoffs loom and few of us really give two happy hoots about who won The Imitation Leatherette Division at the WCJ. It becomes irrelevant rather quickly. Relax. Enjoy. Have a stein of Christmas mead. Say hi to the sainted Clay Kallam or his busy Boswell, Harold Abend. Both could use a holiday boost.

Last edited:
Can we all step back for a moment. No one is saying the WCJ brackets are the height of perfection. It's an inexact science. Some coaches ask to be placed in certain brackets. Others don't care much. The organizers tweak and adjust. Home courts are what they are. So what? Do we really have to agonize over the dreaded Sopak Factor as though it's a conspiracy ranking right up there with alien life forms held at Area 51 by mutant scientists imported from the X-Files? Let it go. Competing in this affair is voluntary. No one is mandating that teams participate. Yet critics spend time lamenting everything from rigged brackets to home court unfairness to bad lattes at the host hotel. Hey, run your own tournament. Invite only the very best. Or not. Make it a turdfest. And win it. A commitment to operate any tournament isn't a walk in the park. The WCJ bracket winners, bless them all, get some bragging rights into the first week of 2022, then the entire exercise blurs and the regular season and playoffs loom and few of us really give two happy hoots about who won The Imitation Leatherette Division at the WCJ. It becomes irrelevant rather quickly. Relax. Enjoy. Have a stein of Christmas mead. Say hit to the sainted Clay Kallam or his busy Boswell, Harold Abend. Both could use a holiday boost.
we not mad at clay.. we mad at the system. its the principalities smokey...
- big worm

Can we all step back for a moment. No one is saying the WCJ brackets are the height of perfection. It's an inexact science. Some coaches ask to be placed in certain brackets. Others don't care much. The organizers tweak and adjust. Home courts are what they are. So what? Do we really have to agonize over the dreaded Sopak Factor as though it's a conspiracy ranking right up there with alien life forms held at Area 51 by mutant scientists imported from the X-Files? Let it go. Competing in this affair is voluntary. No one is mandating that teams participate. Yet critics spend time lamenting everything from rigged brackets to home court unfairness to bad lattes at the host hotel. Hey, run your own tournament. Invite only the very best. Or not. Make it a turdfest. And win it. A commitment to operate any tournament isn't a walk in the park. The WCJ bracket winners, bless them all, get some bragging rights into the first week of 2022, then the entire exercise blurs and the regular season and playoffs loom and few of us really give two happy hoots about who won The Imitation Leatherette Division at the WCJ. It becomes irrelevant rather quickly. Relax. Enjoy. Have a stein of Christmas mead. Say hit to the sainted Clay Kallam or his busy Boswell, Harold Abend. Both could use a holiday boost.
Great post! There is a lot to give props to about the WCJ in any year but especially this year given the current circumstances. There should be some really good matchups in multiple divisions.

Reactions: TheHillZ
Thanks for the kind words ... right now, I'm just hoping we have some kind of tournament.

But first, a little story. So as I'm adjusting the brackets, a team gets moved up a bracket. The coach reaches out, says "We're terrible, we don't belong, knock us back down." Then I get a call from that team's new first-round opponent in the bracket. "That's the best team of the eight. Don't match us up with them -- they're way better than anyone else.'"

That said, I really get very few complaints from coaches. They just like playing in a bracket with (hopefully) evenly matched teams that gets them ready for league play.

Thanks for the kind words ... right now, I'm just hoping we have some kind of tournament.

But first, a little story. So as I'm adjusting the brackets, a team gets moved up a bracket. The coach reaches out, says "We're terrible, we don't belong, knock us back down." Then I get a call from that team's new first-round opponent in the bracket. "That's the best team of the eight. Don't match us up with them -- they're way better than anyone else.'"

That said, I really get very few complaints from coaches. They just like playing in a bracket with (hopefully) evenly matched teams that gets them ready for league play.
gotta be tough.

Everything will change anyway ... we've had five teams drop this morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT