ADVERTISEMENT

Week 8 Scoreboard

What an exciting game!!!
Turlock fan here, went to the game. First half and first quarter in particular Turlock ran the ball and then ran some more in grinding drives. Downey had no run game, the only yardage on the ground coming from quarterback scrambles which usually picked up good yardage with all the receivers covered and no one spying him. Turlock quarterback Gilbert picked up key yardage on option plays and also had some good passes. In a game this close it can come down to penalties and ball position. Downey had at least two short TD drives due to a recovered fumble and a very poor punt in Turlock territory. Penalties usually go both ways (although partisan fans don't always see that). Downey went up 21-14 as a beneficiary of the terrible Turlock punt to their own 34, and then Turlock drove down and on 4th and long had an incredible pass to JT Foreman who just made it into the end zone. They went for two and made it. There was less than two minutes left and Downey drove down the field. They might have been held back for a longer FG attempt but the Downey QB slid and a Turlock player hit him on the ground for a personal foul and 15 yards.

Going forward, Turlock will end up 6-4 and given their record and the tough teams played they should get a D1 first round home game. My biased opinion of course but the section has to look at it. Downey will go 10-0 but they are in D2 so don't know how they will place.

Almost put this game on the pick'em. Enterprise stays undefeated with a win over Pleasant Valley

Reactions: FBAddict
Oakdale is next man up. 2 way starter leading scorer on sideline. Leading tackler on sideline broken ankle. Surgery Monday. May make it back for playoffs. One of cornerbacks out. Lucky to have Jas Rau. The kid is just reliable Making beautiful runs. Catching passes. And making awesome plays on defence!
I am not a complain about refs guy. But, this was the worst called game I have seen. Calls kept EU in game. But the EU QB played a great game. Sad on last play of game he took a clean hit. Pick 6. Had to be helped off field.

St Mary's dominated DLS ...45-28 with minutes left. Folsom better watch out.

I’d have to look it up to be sure, but from 1979 on, the Spartans had only surrendered 40+ a handful of times.

The vast majority of those instances would be to Nat’l top 25 teams and the likes of SJB and Mater Dei the past 8 years.

I don’t think a NorCal team beyond Clovis West had done it until St. Mary’s tonight….

Reactions: bulldogmgc
To think St. Mary’s-Stockton spotted DLS 2 TDs. Reminded me how the Rams D played Lodi last week, like how a boxer fights the first couple rounds in a 12 round fight feeling out the other team. To be honest, the St. Mary’s offense was a little anxious in its first 2 series missing on a couple of passes and the D was just getting a feel of what needed to be done. After those jitters settled in, the Rams offense put the pedal to the metal and never put on the brakes. Their aerial attack was a thing of beauty. Down 0-14, the Rams outscored the Spartans 45-14 before giving a long TD pass when the Spartan backup entered the game late and threw a lame duck pass to a wide open player. After that, the Rams was able to milk the clock and get the 1st downs they needed to eventually take the V formation. In the process they even got flagged for over-celebration. One of the biggest games in St. Mary’s history. Can you blame them?

The Rams D really stepped up after giving up the first 2 TD’s. They hit hard and they swarmed tackle every opportunity presented to them. Stripping the ball to cause the first DLS fumble was huge! DLS penalties (several) did not help their cause. But, that Rams offense came to play! They will definitely present a challenge for any defense they will face in the playoffs, including Folsom.

I was thinking that 47-7 victory vs Central Catholic was a fluke. And then this performance vs DLS I believe dispelled that notion. This Rams team is NOT overrated. They are legit! To think Serra, the number 1 team in NorCal struggled vs Central Catholic, down early to the Raiders of Modesto, and barely got by DLS. To think Folsom barely got past DLS needing a last minute TD aided by penalty on the kickoff return. Then tonight happens and the Rams from Stockton make this statement by putting up 45 points (although missing a FG and off to a slow start) against the mighty DLS defense. How many points did the Padres score vs DLS? How about the Bulldogs from Folsom? I’m not saying St. Mary’s is better than these two teams, because they have not played them. They probably won’t get a chance to play Serra. But, I am looking forward to St. Mary’s getting an opportunity vs Folsom and their very good defense in the playoffs and “maybe” the championship game. That is going to be a very very good game, should it happen. Maybe the young St. Mary’s team and the young Serra team can hook up next year??? That would definitely be worth the price of admission. Both teams full of juniors, but one of St. Mary’s best players (#4 Kenny Moore, yes that rhymes) is just a freshman!

Nevertheless, I should NOT have caved and had any doubt in switching away from St. Mary’s as my 10 point pick’em (back to my 1 point pick’em). Shame on me!

But, note, I will NEVER EVER pick against them. NEVER!!! 😉

This new koolaid is tasting pretty darn good! If others still do not want to have some, that’s okay. There will be plenty to go around in a few weeks, when SJS D1 playoffs start.

St. Mary’s still has Tracy next week and rival Lincoln-Stockton as it’s last game of the regular season. Still lots of football left and the Rams will not be taking these teams lightly despite recent success. Must stay focused and disciplined. No letdown, please! GO RAMS!!!

The NCS is a total mess.

One week you have Pitt playing right with Folsom. Another week, they're scraping by a team that Los Gatos blasted 31-0.

DLS is now 2-3 against NorCal teams.

CVC is 1-3 against non-NCS NorCal teams.

Last year was arguably the weakest NCS I had ever seen. This one was looking better, but probably isn't.

To think St. Mary’s-Stockton spotted DLS 2 TDs. Reminded me how the Rams D played Lodi last week, like how a boxer fights the first couple rounds in a 12 round fight feeling out the other team. To be honest, the St. Mary’s offense was a little anxious in its first 2 series missing on a couple of passes and the D was just getting a feel of what needed to be done. After those jitters settled in, the Rams offense put the pedal to the metal and never put on the brakes. Their aerial attack was a thing of beauty. Down 0-14, the Rams outscored the Spartans 45-14 before giving a long TD pass when the Spartan backup entered the game late and threw a lame duck pass to a wide open player. After that, the Rams was able to milk the clock and get the 1st downs they needed to eventually take the V formation. In the process they even got flagged for over-celebration. One of the biggest games in St. Mary’s history. Can you blame them?

The Rams D really stepped up after giving up the first 2 TD’s. They hit hard and they swarmed tackle every opportunity presented to them. Stripping the ball to cause the first DLS fumble was huge! DLS penalties (several) did not help their cause. But, that Rams offense came to play! They will definitely present a challenge for any defense they will face in the playoffs, including Folsom.

I was thinking that 47-7 victory vs Central Catholic was a fluke. And then this performance vs DLS I believe dispelled that notion. This Rams team is NOT overrated. They are legit! To think Serra, the number 1 team in NorCal struggled vs Central Catholic, down early to the Raiders of Modesto, and barely got by DLS. To think Folsom barely got past DLS needing a last minute TD aided by penalty on the kickoff return. Then tonight happens and the Rams from Stockton make this statement by putting up 45 points (although missing a FG and off to a slow start) against the mighty DLS defense. How many points did the Padres score vs DLS? How about the Bulldogs from Folsom? I’m not saying St. Mary’s is better than these two teams, because they have not played them. They probably won’t get a chance to play Serra. But, I am looking forward to St. Mary’s getting an opportunity vs Folsom and their very good defense in the playoffs and “maybe” the championship game. That is going to be a very very good game, should it happen. Maybe the young St. Mary’s team and the young Serra team can hook up next year??? That would definitely be worth the price of admission. Both teams full of juniors, but one of St. Mary’s best players (#4 Kenny Moore, yes that rhymes) is just a freshman!

Nevertheless, I should NOT have caved and had any doubt in switching away from St. Mary’s as my 10 point pick’em (back to my 1 point pick’em). Shame on me!

But, note, I will NEVER EVER pick against them. NEVER!!! 😉

This new koolaid is tasting pretty darn good! If others still do not want to have some, that’s okay. There will be plenty to go around in a few weeks, when SJS D1 playoffs start.

St. Mary’s still has Tracy next week and rival Lincoln-Stockton as it’s last game of the regular season. Still lots of football left and the Rams will not be taking these teams lightly despite recent success. Must stay focused and disciplined. No letdown, please! GO RAMS!!!
Congrats, bulldog!

Been saying this for weeks.
Maybe, but not according to Calpreps: http://calpreps.com/2022/ratings/California_all.htm

St. Mary’s will more likely still have lesser SOS even after SJS D1 playoffs. I guess it might if they have a more convincing win vs Folsom. But, Serra will have its own gauntlet in CCS Open including a couple of potential undefeated public school teams. And that’s okay.

Maybe St. Mary’s plays Serra next year since both are mostly junior players???

Congrats, bulldog!
Thanks! But, all congratulations go to the St. Mary’s team, it’s coaches and players. Yes, it was a HUGE win last night, one of St. Mary’s best ever. I put that home win up there with the 2016 regional win vs Freedom and the 2007 come from behind home win vs Bland led Central Catholic team, with St. Mary’s scoring 20 points in the 4th quarter to secure the win. That game, IMHO, was the best home victory for St. Mary’s that I have ever witnessed. There have also been some home rivalry games vs Lincoln that came down to the wire, as well.

But, last night felt good, really good. I extend my congratulations to my fellow chain gang partner whose son is on the team (same guy who told me picking St. Mary’s as my 10 point pick’em might be a stretch). The pride he felt during and after the game was special. It was so hard to keep neutral and hold back our feelings during the game while working the chains. Every once in awhile we would get our fist bumps in. My son, working the clip, would have to come over and remind me to hold it in. I think there might have been once or twice after we scored where we couldn’t help ourselves (down near the goal line away from the DLS team). There were lots of DLS non-team folks though down near the goal line, too. It was crazy but lots of fun. But, maybe not as ecstatic as Folsom and Serra’s wins vs DLS, especially Pasty. In the end, for us to feel such jubilation says a lot about the DLS program and yes even this years team (though some want to knock them down a peg). To feel such joy only means nothing but respect, nothing but admiration of such a great program/team. As a St. Mary’s fan, I will admit I am a De La Salle fan, too. Why? Because DLS is the pride of NorCal (and even the entire state) high school football, the best of the best! This joy of victory would not be the same if it was any other team. And I’m sure the respectful Serra and Folsom and last years St Francis fans felt the same way. Kudos to DLS for being the best, for setting the pole so high, for being DLS! Much much RESPECT!!! Win or lose the rest of the way for St. Mary’s, we will always have this game to remember. And that says a lot for the St. Mary’s team and the RAM family, it’s fans. But, it also says a lot for DLS.

Still, there is a lot of football left, still much unfinished business. And, BTW, lots of koolaid left in the pitcher, too! GO RAMS!!!

It was also sweet to see some old familiar faces in the crowd on the field after the win. Lots of celebration indeed! A night certain to be remembered and cherished by all RAM fans.

Good luck to DLS the rest of the way! Maybe we will meet again in the regionals. All the best!

Thanks! But, all congratulations go to the St. Mary’s team, it’s coaches and players. Yes, it was a HUGE win last night, one of St. Mary’s best ever. I put that home win up there with the 2016 regional win vs Freedom and the 2007 come from behind home win vs Bland led Central Catholic team, with St. Mary’s scoring 20 points in the 4th quarter to secure the win. That game, IMHO, was the best home victory for St. Mary’s that I have ever witnessed. There have also been some home rivalry games vs Lincoln that came down to the wire, as well.

But, last night felt good, really good. I extend my congratulations to my fellow chain gang partner whose son is on the team (same guy who told me picking St. Mary’s as my 10 point pick’em might be a stretch). The pride he felt during and after the game was special. It was so hard to keep neutral and hold back our feelings during the game while working the chains. Every once in awhile we would get our fist bumps in. My son, working the clip, would have to come over and remind me to hold it in. I think there might have been once or twice after we scored where we couldn’t help ourselves (down near the goal line away from the DLS team). There were lots of DLS non-team folks though down near the goal line, too. It was crazy but lots of fun. But, maybe not as ecstatic as Folsom and Serra’s wins vs DLS, especially Pasty. In the end, for us to feel such jubilation says a lot about the DLS program and yes even this years team (though some want to knock them down a peg). To feel such joy only means nothing but respect, nothing but admiration of such a great program/team. As a St. Mary’s fan, I will admit I am a De La Salle fan, too. Why? Because DLS is the pride of NorCal (and even the entire state) high school football, the best of the best! This joy of victory would not be the same if it was any other team. And I’m sure the respectful Serra and Folsom and last years St Francis fans felt the same way. Kudos to DLS for being the best, for setting the pole so high, for being DLS! Much much RESPECT!!! Win or lose the rest of the way for St. Mary’s, we will always have this game to remember. And that says a lot for the St. Mary’s team and the RAM family, it’s fans. But, it also says a lot for DLS.

Still, there is a lot of football left, still much unfinished business. And, BTW, lots of koolaid left in the pitcher, too! GO RAMS!!!

It was also sweet to see some old familiar faces in the crowd on the field after the win. Lots of celebration indeed! A night certain to be remembered and cherished by all RAM fans.

Good luck to DLS the rest of the way! Maybe we will meet again in the regionals. All the best!
How long you St Mary's fan? I am so old I remember when they were in the VOL. My senior year game was worst weather game. Till playoffs 2010 game at Placer! Champ can back me on that!

Reactions: championcif75

bulldog.... streamed the game last night
Congrats to your Rams and to the Rams classiest fan.
Question tho: while watching the game I saw the Chain Gang. Were you the sign crew in the white cap or black cap ?

bulldog.... streamed the game last night
Congrats to your Rams and to the Rams classiest fan.
Question tho: while watching the game I saw the Chain Gang. Were you the sign crew in the white cap or black cap ?
I was holding one of the sticks wearing a green Rams polo shirt and a beige driving cap. My buddy Larry Bragg Jr (his son is the center #52 Larry Bragg III) is the big dude in green shirt (forgot what color hat he was wearing). My sons took turns work the clip and our lead, Randy, was working the box. Love our crew! Randy and I have been on the Rams chain gang for over 10 years (me 12 years and Randy way past that).

I was holding one of the sticks wearing a green Rams polo shirt and a beige driving cap. My buddy Larry Bragg Jr (his son is the center #52 Larry Bragg III) is the big dude in green shirt (forgot what color hat he was wearing). My sons took turns work the clip and our lead, Randy, was working the box. Love our crew! Randy and I have been on the Rams chain gang for over 10 years (me 12 years and Randy way past that).
Great win!

Notice how I willed the Rams to victory through my 10 pointer pick against them!? Notice how is was errily similar to how I picked against Folsom against DLS!?

I brought some luck your way!

• Haha

Classy post bulldog, but I'd expect that from you.

Long way to go but a DO St. Mary's playoff game looks very possible in DII.

Reactions: larry legend33
D2 is loaded! Wow.
@RidgeRider , any thoughts yet on Folsom and DO?
I think your take is probably better than mine since you have seen both of them play but I give DO a punter's chance to stay close-ish.

I think the line strength differences between Folsom and DO/Rocklin/GB/OR have shrunk. That should give DO a chance to control the clock better than in the past and Pinnick's playmaking (run/throw) is something Folsom hasn't faced against a DO team because DO hasn't had a QB that can throw on the run with the accuracy and ability to spot an open man like this kid can. DO needs to put pressure on Mack (who was in the DO system so the DO kids know him).

Covering the skill players on Folsom will ultimately be the challenge. DO has done a good job taking opponents' best players out of the game or limiting them (see the kid from MA and the young man on GB), though I thought Rocklin was able to hurt them last night with their runners. Last season DB Graham did a really good job of limiting Flores but it's a different season.

I am hoping for a good showing and something DO can take with them into the playoffs.

D2 is loaded! Wow.
@RidgeRider , any thoughts yet on Folsom and DO?

. DO needs to put pressure on Mack (who was in the DO system so the DO kids know him).

Color me late to the party, but I just discovered last night that Austin Mack played his freshman year at Del Oro. I had zero clue (I’ve not been following youth and HS near as closely the past couple years).

Word I got was he transfered because he wasn’t going to play over Caden Pinnick — who is also just a Junior.

From what I witnessed last night, it makes total sense. Mack may have the prototypical size that all scouts are looking for but no chance that Mack is anywhere near as good as Pinnick. At least not at this current point in time.

Pinnick made at least 3-4 “WOW” throws last night.

The 1st TD he threw to fellow JR. Tommy Poe was as good a throw as you’ll see at the HS level. A perfectly placed strike from the 10 yard line to around midfield while rolling to his right. It looked like an easy ”flick” to a receiver that adjusted his route and went deep. Pinnick made the throw look like a layup. Perfect touch and accuracy.

Then the play he made on 3rd and 2 from around midfield with Del Oro tenuously clinging to a 7-point lead in Q4 was next level. He evaded Sac State commit Derek Houston who had a free rush to his blindside and made a near-perfect strike down to the Rocklin 1 yard line while, again, on the run to his left.

There were other phenomenal throws and plays made, but those 2 were the highlights for me. To think that this kid is only a Junior is scary.

Troy Taylor better be on the phone with this kid already. He good ;)

Dare I say, he has a tad of Bryce Young in him? Similar size, even if not as athletic and fast.

Color me late to the party, but I just discovered last night that Austin Mack played his freshman year at Del Oro. I had zero clue (I’ve not been following youth and HS near as closely the past couple years).

Word I got was he transfered because he wasn’t going to play over Caden Pinnick — who is also just a Junior.

From what I witnessed last night, it makes total sense. Mack may have the prototypical size that all scouts are looking for but no chance that Mack is anywhere near as good as Pinnick. At least not at this current point in time.

The 1st TD he threw to fellow JR. Tommy Poe was as good a throw as you’ll see at the HS level. A perfectly placed strike from the 10 yard line to around midfield while rolling to his right. It looked like an easy ”flick” to a receiver that adjusted his route and went deep. Pinnick made the throw look like a layup. Perfect touch and accuracy.

Then the play he made on 3rd and 2 from around midfield with Del Oro tenuously clinging to a 7-point lead in Q4 was next level. He evaded Sac State commit Derek Houston who had a free rush to his blindside and made a near-perfect strike down to the Rocklin 1 yard line while, again, on the run to his left.

There were other phenomenal throws and plays made, but those 2 were the highlights for me. To think that this kid is only a Junior is scary.

Looking at Pinnick on film was unnerving, but really couldn't appreciate it till last night. Hard to prepare for, impossible to simulate with scout. I was super impressed with that kid, very young Russell Wilson mold. Del Oro played a fantastic game. D2 2ill be a grind.

Dare I say, he has a tad of Bryce Young in him? Similar size, even if not as athletic and fast.
TR, you have exactly the same takes as I do. Mack is a great pocket passer and pro type college QB. Give him time and he’s excellent. At hs level Pinnick is Just a much better player because he can beat you with his feet also.
Funny how that works. Remember patu for Folsom? Didn’t even start and now he plays at Stanford. Who may not beat an FBS team this year. They are pretty bad and hard to believe how far that program fell.
No reason Pinnick doesn’t have fbs offers right now.

Folsom strength is there secondary this year on D. You will be able to run on them. But there secondary is amazing.

Reactions: Santa Ball
Looking at Pinnick on film was unnerving, but really couldn't appreciate it till last night. Hard to prepare for, impossible to simulate with scout. I was super impressed with that kid, very young Russell Wilson mold. Del Oro played a fantastic game. D2 2ill be a grind.

I saw him a bit on video, having seen portions of their games against CVC, Menlo, and GB, but not in person until last night.

While it was far from perfect, he was very, very good. That was a very good defense Pinnick went up against, with arguably the Thunder‘s best defender and leader playing for the 1st time this season and he didn’t make many mistakes. Rather he made plays that I’m not sure many could make against that defense.

You make a Russell Wilson comparison, but I saw a version of Bryce Young. He’s of similar size/weight to Young in HS. While he may not be as athletically dynamic and fast as Young — the size/build and ability to escape and make accurate next level throws reminded me of Young. And, no, I’m not predicting that he’s going to end up winning the Heisman or play at Alabama. ;)

I saw him a bit on video, having seen portions of their games against CVC, Menlo, and GB, but not in person until last night.

While it was far from perfect, he was very, very good. That was a very good defense Pinnick went up against, with arguably the Thunder‘s best defender and leader playing for the 1st time this season and he didn’t make many mistakes. Rather he made plays that I’m not sure many could make against that defense.

You make a Russell Wilson comparison, but I saw a version of Bryce Young. He’s of similar size/weight to Young in HS. While he may not be as athletically dynamic and fast as Young — the size/build and ability to escape and make accurate next level throws reminded me of Young. And, no, I’m not predicting that he’s going to end up winning the Heisman or play at Alabama. ;)
I agree, and while not perfect he was able to do all this against a really well coached defense. Stuff the run, forced him right, kept the pocket boxed, not one play wasn’t already known or scouted, he's just got that "it" factor for a HS QB. Folsoms secondary will be able to play some man against him with their studs, not many teams can successfully do that.

Reactions: ThunderRam
I agree, and while not perfect he was able to do all this against a really well coached defense. Stuff the run, forced him right, kept the pocket boxed, not one play wasn’t already known or scouted, he's just got that "it" factor for a HS QB. Folsoms secondary will be able to play some man against him with their studs, not many teams can successfully do that.

Rocklin's secondary is pretty good too. Although Pinnick did pick on the same DB for at least 2 of those TD passes.

Reactions: Santa Ball
How long you St Mary's fan? I am so old I remember when they were in the VOL. My senior year game was worst weather game. Till playoffs 2010 game at Placer! Champ can back me on that!
Since 2003 (post VOL).

My eldest was a freshman (played football and wrestled for St. Mary’s). Epic game in 2003 was vs Jesuit when Willie Tuitama took over as QB in the 2nd half and engineered the comeback win. St. Mary’s fell short in the playoffs to Lavelle Hawkins and the Edison Vikings that year, but would return with Willie as the starter and the Rams won the 2004 section championship vs Nevada Union at UOP (in the fog). My youngest son was on the 2007 section runner-up (to Napa) and 2008 state runner-up team. He graduated in 2009. I’ve been working the chains since 2010. Moved to Stockton from SoCal in 1990 after getting married in 1988 and eldest was born in 1989 (in Burbank, CA). We actually travelled up here in Nov 1988 to get married at Morris Chapel in UOP (wife’s request). All of her family is here in Stockton (good people), many retired now (in the medical field).

Final McClymonds 45 San Ramon Valley 42 SRV misses about a 35 yd field goal to try and tie the game As Time expires
Could've been 51 if the deep back runs the short FG attempt back!

SRV woos the best Dville players from MV. Last night at Cal/MV there were two soph D1 prospects (unable to crack SRVs lineup) starting their first game after five game sit out after arriving from SRV.

Mack's win is impressive. And I take back my "EBAL superiority" insinuation with major kudos to Oakland's premier public.

What an exciting game!!!
A win is a win whether close or not. Stats don't win games but these confirm what I saw: Total yards Turlock 423 Downey 315. Turlock quarterback Gilbert 20/29 232 yds 2 TDs 94 yards rushing. Downey quarterback Stoddard 23/35 225 yds 1 TD 63 yds rushing. Turlock JT Foreman 23 rushes 93 yds, 66 reception yds. Downey Ragland 14 rushes 29 yds. Not the first time nor the last time a team will win the stats battle but lose the game. Many starting Downey seniors were moved up as sophomores and will be gone next year. Turlock JV team defeated Downey 56-19 and it actually wasn't that close. Turlock loses players but will just reload.

A win is a win whether close or not. Stats don't win games but these confirm what I saw: Total yards Turlock 423 Downey 315. Turlock quarterback Gilbert 20/29 232 yds 2 TDs 94 yards rushing. Downey quarterback Stoddard 23/35 225 yds 1 TD 63 yds rushing. Turlock JT Foreman 23 rushes 93 yds, 66 reception yds. Downey Ragland 14 rushes 29 yds. Not the first time nor the last time a team will win the stats battle but lose the game. Many starting Downey seniors were moved up as sophomores and will be gone next year. Turlock JV team defeated Downey 56-19 and it actually wasn't that close. Turlock loses players but will just
You know that type of logic doesn’t hold water. Downey can reload, too, and has as evidenced by the fact that since the onset of the CCAL, Downey has finished in second place every season except for last year and this. Also, by your logic, Turlock should easily have won last night because the Turlock Seniors beat Downey as sophomores, 35-7, and the Turlock Juniors beat Downey 49-0 as sophomores. Next year’s game will be totally different and the winner won’t be known until it’s played on the field.
Having said all this, last night’s game was as exciting as the local media predicted. Both teams played their hearts out. It’s the type of game where it’s too bad there had to be a winner and loser.

You know that type of logic doesn’t hold water. Downey can reload, too, and has as evidenced by the fact that since the onset of the CCAL, Downey has finished in second place every season except for last year and this. Also, by your logic, Turlock should easily have won last night because the Turlock Seniors beat Downey as sophomores, 35-7, and the Turlock Juniors beat Downey 49-0 as sophomores. Next year’s game will be totally different and the winner won’t be known until it’s played on the field.
Having said all this, last night’s game was as exciting as the local media predicted. Both teams played their hearts out. It’s the type of game where it’s too bad there had to be a winner and loser.
Getting ahead of myself, speculating about next year with this season not over. Anyway, realignment of section leagues is coming soon and the powers that be should look into having football-only leagues reflecting today's reality. Richard Estrada, who blogs extensively on local football, has proposed a southern section football league of Central Catholic, Manteca, Oakdale, Turlock, Downey, Edison, Lincoln, and St. Marys. I might question the consistency of Edison but these are the top schools in their leagues and the gap between the top and bottom feeders is huge. The leagues can be configured in the traditional way for the other sports but, as he has pointed out, why subject some of the schools to 56-7 beatdowns when they could be competing with schools more on their level and enjoying success. Don't know if this will happen as it's unprecedented really in the state. And these schools would have to buy off on it as it means tough games every week, probably no undefeated seasons, and no easier games to fatten the win column. An interesting concept, at least.

Could've been 51 if the deep back runs the short FG attempt back!

SRV woos the best Dville players from MV. Last night at Cal/MV there were two soph D1 prospects (unable to crack SRVs lineup) starting their first game after five game sit out after arriving from SRV.

Mack's win is impressive. And I take back my "EBAL superiority" insinuation with major kudos to Oakland's premier public.
What's happened with MV? They were an EBAL power for many years. Don't hear about the Mustangs nearly as much as I once did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT