ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Aquira DeCosta

WivitBear

Sports Fanatic
Sep 9, 2001
The former Baylor transfer was suppose to be at Loyolla of Marymount but hasn't played in any games yet. Is she elgible? Is she hurt? Does anyone from St. Mary's know?

The former Baylor transfer was suppose to be at Loyolla of Marymount but hasn't played in any games yet. Is she elgible? Is she hurt? Does anyone from St. Mary's know?

I've been curious myself. I'm wondering if she opted out.

At the end of the day we have to account for theses kids still being kids. Just because they are old enough by law at 18 don't mean they don't need support from the parents. Its a different type of parenting that must occur from 18-25. sometimes the expectation (WE) put on these kids from the media and blogs sites and its even worse if you have parents that's caught up in the hype....makes to where the kids are living and dreaming for everyone else except them selves. D1 is not for everyone just because you have the talent to play there. The college fir need to be for create the person as a whole and not just help me win games. we don't know what these kids go through when they get alone, but have to put on face when its time to hit the floor. then on top of all that... don't let a injury happen!!!! My daughter had a D2 scholarship to play basketball. and since covid she has not had the desire to play anymore. As a fan of my daughter do I want her to retire from playing? no. but it would be worse mentally if she was playing only because I want her to or the coaches want her talent or the media and blogs expects her to play. no one is even talking about the suicide numbers that has occurred from our kids since COVID either. let that sink in. I know of 3 suicides myself. I will definitely be praying for Aquira mental state to be restored and find her way in life to do she really wants to do. There is not enough being done to help these kids mentally and it doesn't matter from grade school to college.

At the end of the day we have to account for theses kids still being kids. Just because they are old enough by law at 18 don't mean they don't need support from the parents. Its a different type of parenting that must occur from 18-25. sometimes the expectation (WE) put on these kids from the media and blogs sites and its even worse if you have parents that's caught up in the hype....makes to where the kids are living and dreaming for everyone else except them selves. D1 is not for everyone just because you have the talent to play there. The college fir need to be for create the person as a whole and not just help me win games. we don't know what these kids go through when they get alone, but have to put on face when its time to hit the floor. then on top of all that... don't let a injury happen!!!! My daughter had a D2 scholarship to play basketball. and since covid she has not had the desire to play anymore. As a fan of my daughter do I want her to retire from playing? no. but it would be worse mentally if she was playing only because I want her to or the coaches want her talent or the media and blogs expects her to play. no one is even talking about the suicide numbers that has occurred from our kids since COVID either. let that sink in. I know of 3 suicides myself. I will definitely be praying for Aquira mental state to be restored and find her way in life to do she really wants to do. There is not enough being done to help these kids mentally and it doesn't matter from grade school to college.
The suicide rate has been talked about. Is this really about COVID with her? She has played under the spotlight since entering high school and won. She went to play for a tough coach who has high expectations and for a program that has the same aspirations. It didnt work out and she made the business decision to leave. Her new school is playing still. She was still able to be a student. If you are really being fair let us not lump her problems with Corona as she may have been suffering long ago.

Reactions: SmoothJay
I think this thread doesn’t need to go into COVID territory.

I hope Aquira can get the help she needs

Reactions: Coach_Case
Per twitter it seems this is more to do with falling out of love of the one thing you truly loved. It is hard when that happens.

That twitter post in the hospital is disturbing. But it is a cry for help. Those around her please be there.

Guys slow your roll. I didnt say that her reasonings had anything to do with COVID. The covid reference was stated to expose additional mental state that we all have to deal with. Going to college as a student has a certain level of a strong mental state that you need to have. Being a student athlete on the college level requires another level of being mentally strong. If that was the case where she didn't meet high expectations then that has all to do with her mental capacity to handle the expectation. and like I said we dont know what her process is when she is by herself. so if she fell out of love with the game...or just like if you lose a loved one or breakup with your spouse that's a mental process you have to go thru and that means you're not always in a safe space...thus where suicidal thoughts can creep in

Reactions: Mustange76
As a person who played sports in college, I always say choose the school because you want to attend the school. Not because of the sport. If you quit, then you should enjoy the surroundings you have put yourself in.

Reactions: Mustange76
Guys slow your roll. I didnt say that her reasonings had anything to do with COVID. The covid reference was stated to expose additional mental state that we all have to deal with. Going to college as a student has a certain level of a strong mental state that you need to have. Being a student athlete on the college level requires another level of being mentally strong. If that was the case where she didn't meet high expectations then that has all to do with her mental capacity to handle the expectation. and like I said we dont know what her process is when she is by herself. so if she fell out of love with the game...or just like if you lose a loved one or breakup with your spouse that's a mental process you have to go thru and that means you're not always in a safe space...thus where suicidal thoughts can creep in
Well it was mentioned and if not part of the discussion why include it? That would lead readers to making the connection between the 2. Which I have continued to say they are not that related, but too many on here think they are.

I do think it is other things from reading and following the post.

That hospital post was from April 2020.

She has posted since then and posted about being in the LMU roster as recent as Nov 2020. LMU also still has her on the roster. I think she opted out. I look forward to seeing her back on the court next season. Look your Demons in the eye and punch your Demons in the mouth. Let's go Aquira!

Last edited:
That hospital post was from April 2020.

She has posted since then and posted about being in the LMU roster as recent as Nov 2020. lMU also still has her on the roster. I think she opted out. I look forward to seeing her back on the court next season. Look your Demons in the eye and punch your Demons in the mouth. Let's go Aquira!

yea i saw that i just didnt know how to paste it. and i didnt want to be putting it out there like that.

yea i saw that i just didnt know how to paste it. and i didnt want to be putting it out there like that.

It's still on her twitter so it's public but I feel you. Looks like she has a big support system so I'm sure she is still on the up. Plus all of us High School girl hoops fans love to support our girls at the next level. I saw her development at Baylor and it was good. I think she takes her new game and championship pedigree to LMU and does big things.

Reactions: ankleassassin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT