ADVERTISEMENT

Where's Coach Rich Woods (Deer Valley)?

More important who's the new head man at Deer Valley? Any top coordinators around? Who's the next top coach in the area?

So the job has been posted but there has been no talk of why Woods has left the program. He was removed from practice and not allowed to coach in the last game of the season. This would be an ugly end to a great career. Does anybody have any idea about what happened? I heard a story about the players cutting class and protesting Woods as a coach.

https://www.edjoin.org/Home/JobPosting/654665

I have a neighbor who taught there, friends' sons going there and all I hear is that there are a lot of problems out there.
Racial tension, bullying, gangs, drugs, teachers afraid of students, it has turned into a ghetto school with attitude. Five people all have the same outlook, they couldn't wait to get out.

This is what happens when an area that is up scale is turned into a section 8...Woods most likely would not put up with what was going on and may have been vocal and was told to leave..But this is a wild guess....

Antioch is far from upscale, and Rich Woods is even farther from being a disciplinarian. I've done the chains on his sidelines a couple of times. No surprise he is gone.

Section 8 housing does not ruin schools. Poor leadership amongst administration and the school board does. Look at all the problems Clayton is having. Greedy leadership that looks the other way when out of district transfers try to enroll.

Section 8 brings in the problems, the parents can't control their children or don't care, patroling the streets and consist trips to the high school is a never ending problem...The Deer Valley area is the better part of Antioch that section 8 opened the gates, to and has created a new Ghetto......Each High School has its problems and Deer Valley ranks high on the list, more time is spent keeping an eye on things in this area then the rest of Antioch....

I was in Antioch recently and I noticed how many people are speeding. I asked a local and they said the police are busy with bigger things than issuing speeding tickets.

Woods up to this point has done a pretty good job at Deer Valley when you consider what he has to deal with, keeping discipline with most kids that have no discipline is tricky business....He may not be a hard nosed coach, but at the same time he won football games.....Some one will step up and give us the whole picture...

That is a stereotype unfortunately. Section 8 does not equal bad parents/kids. Debate for a different site I guess. I am very intrigued to see who gets that job. I wonder if the old San Ramon coach is interested. Deer Valley has an extraordinary talent pool. May be a former De La Salle player or DLS assistant would be interested.

Rumor has it a Pitt assistant was said to be a favorite for the job but this was even before the job became officially posted. Could be some good applicants now that it's opened up, we shall see

That would be interesting. Any idea which Pitt assistant that would be? A lot of good coaches on Galli's staff.

Guys......Do you think that Vince Doronni's son might be in the running....He was at Mt. diablo for a while , but I believe he is at Pittsburg handling the wrestling now, this guy knows his football and his Dad was a great running backs in the mid 50's......

All I heard was a Pitt coach was telling some people at the Reno clinic that he was the next guy at Deer V. Just a rumor now but time will tell if there's any truth to it

Paloma:

"That is a stereotype unfortunately. Section 8 does not equal bad parents/kids. Debate for a different site I guess. I am very intrigued to see who gets that job. I wonder if the old San Ramon coach is interested. Deer Valley has an extraordinary talent pool. May be a former De La Salle player or DLS assistant would be interested."

By old San Ramon coach, do you mean Kessler or Kravitz? I'm pretty sure Kravitz is happy at Dougherty and not looking to go out to Deer Valley. Not sure what Kessler's situation is after that sudden dismissal right before a playoff game a couple of years ago.

This post was edited on 3/29 2:33 PM by observer22

Well whoever takes over the job will have a pretty nice set up. Woods created a team room at that school when there was none. Ordered new equipment when there was stuff dated back to the early 90's there. Rebuilt the weight room when there were no racks. The new guy will not be starting from ground zero, and a smart coach will make sure to build upon the tradition that Woods actually built there. I think that the demographics were changing and Woods couldn't deal with the lack of respect for authority on the part of the students and players.

Reactions: ncscalfootball
Plus Woods has 2 Victories over Vacaville (hope they renew this Preseason Game). My friends played for him way back when he used to coach @ Vanden!

The rumor out here in BVAL Land is that former Pitt assistant saleem mohammed will be named the head coach. He was their choice and he accepted the job they just have yet to announce it

Woods is out as football coach, but has not been fired as a teacher

That must be the coach at the coaches clinic someone mentioned earlier. I believe Galli let him go a few years ago after the Xavier Crawford incident.

Get ready for some discipline if Saleem gets the job. It will be interesting if the admin will support it. He could bring in Galli and Joe Alioti for a week to kick some punk ass! lol

Apparently the school board denied the motion to name Mohammed the new head coach at Deer Valley because of what happened when he was at Pittsburg.

I heard the Antioch High School JV coach is now going to be the new head man at DV. I don't remember his name.

Dont think section 8 has anything to do with anything there are a lot schools in areas where section 8 is prevalent that dont seem to have the same issues as deer Valley ,the adults are the real failures starting with the parents first and foremost...then a little trickles down to administrators,teachers coaches etc. It still does help to have a whole village help with our children......As far as Woods goes would love to see him go to El Cerrito since Coach Kahn stepped down ,with athletes EC gets they would be top notch program with better coaching.

Reverse racism card.... You don't see that much. Yeah, certainly looks like he has a case from the article.

No such thing as reverse racism I heard it on the news, only white privilege. And whites don't even realize they have it. True story.

So the real question is, if Woods wins, is he done coaching? If he doesn't win will he ever coach again? And if so where?

Dont think section 8 has anything to do with anything there are a lot schools in areas where section 8 is prevalent that dont seem to have the same issues as deer Valley ,the adults are the real failures starting with the parents first and foremost...then a little trickles down to administrators,teachers coaches etc. It still does help to have a whole village help with our children......As far as Woods goes would love to see him go to El Cerrito since Coach Kahn stepped down ,with athletes EC gets they would be top notch program with better coaching.
DJGAUCHO......Section 8 brought in people from the west bay and the east bay....The parents are as bad as some of the kids as they let their habit pour onto them....The Antioch Police some times make several trips to Deer valley to break up trouble and always keep an eye on the 7-11 where some times there are as many as 50 kids hanging out....Wood has to walk a narrow plank to get what he needs to do done and there is no respect at that school...There is a ton of football talent at that school and the Wolverines should be challenging each year, until that nasty additude these kids have goes away and start focusing on learning it will never change....Wood is better off some place else where he can coach where he can do his job....

Bluedog2- Couldn't agree more. Beautiful school with college facilities as well. Bad apples everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT