ADVERTISEMENT

WHICH TEAMS IN THE TOP 10 NCP GIRLS HAVE QUALIFY wins AGAINST EACH OTHER??

ballersdreams

Sports Fanatic
Jan 7, 2014
These are teams that have qualify wins within the top 10 NCP ranking

1) SMS Beat SI BY 9 and play tuff national preseason

2) MM Beat Pinewood by 7

3) Pinewood Beat Carondelet by 14And lost to SI by 7 and MM by 7

4) SI Beat Pinewood by 7 and Mitty by 7 and lost to SMS by 9

5) Carondelet NO BODY And lost to Pinewood by 14

6) Mitty Beat Salesian by 20 Lost to SI by 7

7) Vanden NO BODY and lost to SMB by 5

8) Brookside Beat Salesian by 11

9) Salesian Beat SMB twice by the total of 12 And lost to Mitty by 20 and Brookside by 11

10) SMB beat Vanden by 5 and lost to Salesian 2 times by total of 12 and MM 2 times by 17

This part of the open selection head to head wins and lose!!!!!
This post was edited on 2/7 2:44 PM by ballersdreams
This post was edited on 2/7 2:46 PM by ballersdreams

MM beat Pinewood by 13, although I was there and thought the game was a tossup.

Vanden's loss to MC...
So does this move Brookside to number 7?
Hmmm a game with Miramonte
or maybe 6 because Mitty, Pwood, and SI all can't make it to the Open correct?

This post was edited on 2/7 7:46 PM by jazzpt55

This post was edited on 2/7 7:47 PM by jazzpt55

Hopeful the stay with 8 because I think 7 and the 8 team can give problems in the open good matchups. But never know how BOD will play in the NCS playoffs might beat MM what then???? Brookside vs MM would be a great match for the first round in the Open Norcal for State. Salesian vs SMS will be a good game too because Salesian has the guards to breakdown the scrambling press on SMS. Hopeful the committed keep 8 teams and not cut it down 6 just because Socal doing something like that. Be leaders not followers.

I would like to see NorCal minimize the number of Open teams. I think it's better for NorCal if Vanden, Brookside, Salesian etc could compete for State Division titles. Same with D2, it would be better for NorCal if we don't send all three top D2 teams- Clet, Mitty and SI to Open. Any of these three would be favored to win D2 State.

Who really wants to play SMS anyway?

I know of couple of teams that want to play SMS because the thing they have a shot on beating them. The be the best you have to beat the best never sale yourself short of perfection. Some people will be happy with winning a state title in their division but sometime teams have to step it up because the want to play in the big leagues and get out of the minors!!!!!!!!!!!!
the problem so teams that face SMS already defeat before they even play. Its about how heart and want do real want to win the game. Their are a couple teams out there that will take on all comers no matter what team they play them are the dangerous teams that wont even look at film for a game but just make them play their game!! That's what a team has to have to beat SMS this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That all sounds good and dandy but no nor cal team can beat SMS. Salesians 2 guards are not going to beat that press alone. Sorry. who was the last norcal team to beat SMS at full strength?

Its not about SMS being at full strength because never know when someone will be injured or sick. But last year SMB in Nike TOC AZ and MM in Norcal Open. Salesian guards are have good ball handling skills and the don't miss layups.

ballersdreams,

I do totally agree with you about not being afraid to play the so call best.

What I liked about Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant was they were two of the few players that had big time respect for Michael Jordan, but no fear of him. I would never encourage my child to back down from a challenge. As good as I think SMS is (and they are the most talented/best team in Norcal) they are beatable. Every team can be upset on any given day.

But yes, you are 90% beaten before tip off, if you let fear get the best of you. There are many parents more afraid of SMS than their kids are, and guess what that does for their kids? Nothing.

SMS may indeed be the favorites, but they still have to play the game just like everyone else.

Typically, teams adopt the personality of their coach. And players get their individual personalities from the upbringing of their parents.

If the authority figures and leaders are afraid the kids will be also. In my book I said "Make the so call best earn and prove it, dont just hand the victory to someone."

I think someone once said there are only two types of fear one is born with.The fear of falling and fear of a loud noise.
The other fears have to be taught, learned or encouraged. Whether that is right or wrong, I see no benefit in allowing fear to exist.

You should never fear anything you have some control over. And you have some control over sports.

What is wrong with coming in second place? I have met some of the biggest winners on this planet, and they too have been beaten a time or two.

Have you ever heard of the word "upset"? If not look the word up and keep it in your vocabulary. And learn other ways to define victory, besides having to top someone else to feel you are successful.

Paytc

This post was edited on 2/8 6:48 AM by Paytc

This post was edited on 2/8 6:56 AM by Paytc

Paytc

What some people call upset may not the right word at all if a team is not scared to play any team. When a team plays like their are the better team on the court they are not the underdog in the game. What is the % of teams in Seat 1 in the NCCA tournament in the last 10 years end up winning March Madness. The playoffs brings out a whole different animal to the game. Their are questions to be answer:

1) Does your team have key Injuries ?

2) Did your team peak to early in the season?

3) Did your team real play good caliper teams?

4) Why didn't your team didn't want to face certain teams?

5) Did you condition enough to get your team all the way through the playoff run?

6) Does your team have another gear or did the show ever thing already?

These are major questions coaches have to ask themselves did the prepare for post season?????????????

ballersdreams,

Those are very good points. And your right, those with the heart of a champion never really considers themselves incapable, even when the majority of folks see them as an underdog.

You can't measure a person's heart, especially in big time game situations. That is when some players,coaches, and teams reach deep and pull out their best. I am a full believer that it's not about a race or how you start. It's about where and how you finish.

Some of us will make the so call best prove they are the best ever time.

Paytc

This post was edited on 2/8 12:15 PM by Paytc

I enjoy reading the back and forth dialog between Baller and Paytc. However, as a PR person by training, I think you can distill your comments related to fear and being afraid to a simple sound bite that I try to live by and use to influence my children, "Respect all, Fear none"

I find your comments related to parents and/or coaches fearing SMS intriguing. For all the girls high school basketball I've been around this season, I have never heard a parent or coach express their fear of playing SMS, like has been referenced in this thread. However, I do believe their is a universal respect for what they have accomplished this season. Does that fear really exist? In high school football this past season, was Folsom fearful of playing DeLaSalle in the NorCal open? I don't know, but I don't think so. The outcome was a huge success for Northern California.

As far as what you can control, the only thing you control is yourself.

Final thought, don't live a life proving yourself, just be yourself. Enough philosophy.

Regarding the initial posting, I think Baller is a little harsh on critiquing the opposition of the top 10. How can you claim that C-let and Vanden don't have any quality wins when both these teams played in the elite "Diamond Division" of the WCJ, and of course C-let ran the table with three convincing wins? Gotta give greater respect to all those teams that stepped up to play at that level, including Vanden.

O'layer

The committed was only because we are close to playoff time and teams we taught was going to be good this year never took shape. So at the time I wrote that commit the only team Clet played was Pinewood that they lost too but since then I said congratulation with a good win against MITTY. Vanden lost against Modesto Christian that's has big lost to SMS by 26 and Pinewood by 29.

At a certain point in sectional playoffs and NorCals, the differences in talent level and coaching start to even out as the weaker teams are eliminated. At that point, which is different in every division, I've come to feel there are really two key factors that have a tremendous amount to do with moving on:

1) Health
2) Enthusiasm

Of course things can happen in one game (a player goes off; a team hits 50% of its threes; foul trouble), but in general, the healthier, more enthusiastic team will prevail -- and to that end, I think one of a coach's most important jobs is to do all she can to have her team healthy and enthusiastic when playoffs begin.

Ol' Brick Layer,

I'll pick up the conversation with you in person. But I do think we both know what's up so we can agree on certain things and respectfully disagree at other times. I have personally come across many parents and kids afraid of certain teams so that's why I spoke on it. Of course I will always be me cause even if I wanted to I couldn't be anyone else.

Paytc

Clay,

I agree, Health and enthusiasm are important. You do have to have the right attitude to help accomplish things you may have thought were out of reach.

Paytc

Hey Paytc, I always look forward to the conversation. You get around more than I do, so I will be interested in hearing your perspective on parents and players fearful of certain opponents. I have never heard anyone express such sentiments. However, many times I have read posts suggesting that teams avoid playing other teams because it can affect their rankings etc. Generally, comments like that come off as "sour grapes", but they may support your "fear" factor reference. I really have a hard time buying into that.

Admittedly being a C-let "homer", I admire the way our first year coach developed our team schedule; Diamond level WCJ, Santa Barbara TOC (where we played three Top 30 teams in the state- Redondo, Mission Hills, and Santa Barbara), as well as adding in both Pinewood and Mitty. That's a great schedule of games. Too bad we couldn't add a few others like SI, MM, and BC. Hopefully, we will see them in NorCals.

Respect all, Fear none.

it's been shown that every high school girl basketball player in the United States is afraid to play Brookside Christian.

I think Salesian and Brookside is a big treat in the open because of their speed against slower and methodical teams. Because what I see at the Corner Bakery Showdown was an eye opener with Pinewood vs Clet. The only other team with speed and good pressure is SMS and Pinewood. So you can say what you would wanted to believe SPEED KILLS EVER TIME CAN OVER COME THAT. Both Salesian and Brookside has speed that finish very well????? Who is the joke real about think about before you answer this because Pinewood is not as fast as Salesian or Brookside!!!!!!!!!!!!

mkbgdns

your hilarious good joke ........... Their is Miramonte who wants no parts of Brookside ??? the point guard matchup is the key
now that's funny keep the jokes coming.......................

Ol' Brick Layer,

I agree with you on that. Elgin made the perfect schedule based on all the changes the team went through. And he has the team playing some very good team ball. Carondelet has done very well with Elgin and his assistants under the helm.

Paytc

Afraid? Scared?
All that is silly...
These are coaches who are making calculated decisions about giving opportunities to
teams that are seen as being of less quality than they are...

Go look back at some of Clay posts about how decisions are made
on allowing a D4 or D5 teams a chance

One sort of funny example is when David becomes Goliath....Gonzaga
on the men's side doesn't need to give Duke, Kansas or UCLA a chance now
smile.r191677.gif

I wish I could hear those phone calls when coach K calls coach Few
for a game

Jazzpt

Since the Open Started 2 years ago no D1 or D2 has been to the state Open Championship. BOD was the first in 2013 to win the State open Champions and they are a D3 team. Salesian lost last year to LBP and Salesian is a D4 team. I this day and age in any division can be the best team. So you can leave that part Clay was talking about back when there wasn't a Open division. Any team can be good enough to play any school if the are good enough.

Last year in March Madness Conn 7 seed won 2014 and Seat 1 Louisville won 2013. All I'm saying count any team out unless the count themselves out!!!!!!!!!!

It's not about a team being good enough to win an Open title, or qualify for the Open ... it's about doing what's best for your program given the vagaries of the selection process.

Remember that the NorCal seeding is done by the section commissioners, few of whom (very few) pay much attention to the details of girls' basketball. A quality team with a 27-2 record is going to get a better seed than a quality team that's 20-9, regardless of strength of schedule -- and if some of those nine losses are to lower division teams, some commissioners, who know little about the landscape, will immediately downgrade them even further.

Now if the regular posters here were to do the seedings, then it would be a much different story, but that is not the case. I would seriously doubt that any section commissioner has seen any girls' team from outside his or her section play a game this year. Not to pick on Gil Lemmon, as he is a conscientious commissioner, but I've never seen him at the West Coast Jamboree or any of the one-day events I run, and they've been going on a long time.

So sure, you can risk losing to a D4 team that's actually pretty good, and then you can hope that the San Francisco (or Northern or whoever) commissioner realizes Aarion McDonald is a big-time player. Or you can hedge your bets and protect your program (and all the hard work everyone has put in) by getting wins and avoiding disaster. (That said, of course you have to play high quality teams along the way -- but you don't have to play 12 of them.)

Its a 1 and done format.....not a best of 7.

Best of 7? SMS cruises....

I game....anything can and has happened.

for instance.....someone goes crazy and hits 7,8 or more 3's.....SMS has a horrific shooting night,
or SMS cant hit a FT, going like 3 for 17 or something like that....maybe the refs have an extremely soft whistle
and the next thing you know SMS players in seriously foul trouble and whomever they are playing shoot a zillion FT's...

my point being....SMS is the CLEAR favorite...without a doubt....and rightfully so...they are VERY good.....but in a 1 game format...MAJOR upsets do happen....

N Carolina st. vs. Houston.....Villanova vs. Gtown.... Louisville girls vs. Baylor......are prime examples...

I fully expect SMS to represent in the Open state final....but if I'm one of the other open participants....

I'm not hiding and I'm like bring it on....lets make history and shock the world.

I'm hoping SMS and Brookside
Lace'um up!!!! I think that
Would be a game that Stockton
would never forget

As I said weeks ago let's
Look into the Arena
Stockton built a few years
Ago....seats about 7200
I think we could get 5000

Clay I have a question
Does it come down
To a decision by Tom?
And only Tom? If he
Is happy getting
500 seats filled instead
of 5000 he can say
....I don't care we
Are playing at SMS
With our bleachers pulled out

This post was edited on 2/9 3:58 PM by jazzpt55

A good question ... I believe, though, that the section can dictate where the game will be played.

As far as open division for SMS the first round is always at sm , then usually goes to Delta JC. There is a rule as far as how many people your gym can hold and sm is too small to hold the second round. This is unfortunate for SMS , because it takes away their home court advantage that they earned.

Last year, the first round of Open Division against Miramonte was at Delta College.

As Streak One stated last years first round game against Miramonte was at Delta College. So was the year before first round game against Miramonte as well. I think the confusion lies in that Open unlike other divisions only has 8 teams so the first round is in essence most other divisions brackets second round game. So in open division St Mary's plays none of their games in their gym. The scenario that Passionate Dad posted used to apply when they played in the NorCal playoffs before the creation of Open division. It was then that the first game was at home and then the second round moved to Delta College.

Jazz- In respect to St Mary's playing Brookside you have stated more than once before that Stockton or Everybody wants to see that game. While I am sure that certainly you along with quite a few other people do, most people are highly indifferent to girls basketball in general let alone that specific matchup. The only game that I remember actually drawing a crowd close to what you mentioned was when St. Marys faced off with SHC at Arco for the North 2008 D3 Championship. They moved the game to 6 pm and Arco was as full as I have ever seen it for a high school game.Of course back then they didn't clear out the gym after series of games like they do now. A lot of spectators stayed after other games and came early who were there for the following games. I don't think if they were in a separate venue they would have drawn that many and that was between two undefeated teams with the National title at stake. I am as big a fan of Girls high school basketball as anyone but I don't confuse my interest with the general population.

While I don't think this applies to the present St Marys/Brookside scenario it is often not a good idea to play games between teams when there is too intense of a rivalry which could easly morph from resentment to anger and worse. Heck I have seen mostly reasonable parents lose it on occasion when it involves their children. In Stockton for a time, they abandoned the Lincoln/St Marys rivalry games because of the resulting violence that carried over beyond even the games themselves. Sometime wants need to be tempered with reason.

So we shouldn't play the game because adults can't control themselves?
btw, Delta College is a dump...
that said big JC game tonight Diablo Valley 21-4 at Delta 20-5...
i go because the dump doesn't bother me
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/10 10:52 AM by jazzpt55

This post was edited on 2/10 10:58 AM by jazzpt55

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT