ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the best Coach in Northern California?

MikeWojokowski

Rookie
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2017
Don't give the trophy coaches. I'm talking if he or she had the bad news bears they could do something with them

Don't give the trophy coaches. I'm talking if he or she had the bad news bears they could do something with them[/QUOTE

What is coaching really all about? Is it just ego and big boss coach or a players coach?

What are you looking for?

What criterion are we going by? Here are 4 or 5 things I look for in a high school coach.......

See my updated comments below.

Last edited:
I think it's very hard to pick one because the goals of high school sports are not nearly as clear as those in the pros. For example, a strong case could be made that Bill Belichek is the best coach in the NFL, as he's won the most titles, but he's pushed the boundaries of the rules and what he demands of his staff and players would not fly at the high school level.

As I've mentioned before, going 10-16 with a mediocre team against average opposition might indicate the best coaching job in the area (if wins and losses are the criterion), or so could going 31-3 with a ton of talent and a national schedule.

Paytc breaks it down in terms of relations with players, and that's the most important part, really, as high school coaching is really teaching. Do your players/students learn about the game, about themselves and a little about life, and will they look back and say "I'm really glad I played high school basketball"? If so, the wins and losses are irrelevant.

Reactions: Paytc
@Paytc

That was a great answer and I totally agree with you. But you didn't say in your opinion who you think that is.

I wouldn't single out any one coach as the best. But if anyone were to put a few names out there, I wouldn't have a problem giving my opinion. For the most part to me, I just think either you get it ( what high school coaching is all about) or not.

What criteria are we going by? Here are a few things I look for in a high school coach.......

Makes each player and the team more confident.
Good communicator
. Teaches each player how to be a better team mate (works well with others).
Reminds the players to keep a good attitude under all circumstances.
Reminds them of the work and effort needed to reach their desired goals. (put the work in nothing free).
Helps them make better decisions. (good decision making). Puts emphasis on continued improvement.
Is good at recognizing and developing players. Puts them in lanes they (and the team) can excel best in.
Provides a lasting impact so the children are better players and better people after the coaching experience. Not swayed by parents or outsiders. Doesn't suck the passion for the game out of players. Or run them away from the team or the sport.
Is a good and accountable leader. A player's coach. The leader, but still a player's coach without too much ego.

Then the x's and o's matter. And then who is doing more with less? Because winning is far easier with talent than without. But some fall short even with talent. And some do a lot with very little talent. Who coaches best during games? Or who does their best work in practice but struggle like some players during tougher games?

Last edited:
I think it's very hard to pick one because the goals of high school sports are not nearly as clear as those in the pros. For example, a strong case could be made that Bill Belichek is the best coach in the NFL, as he's won the most titles, but he's pushed the boundaries of the rules and what he demands of his staff and players would not fly at the high school level.

As I've mentioned before, going 10-16 with a mediocre team against average opposition might indicate the best coaching job in the area (if wins and losses are the criterion), or so could going 31-3 with a ton of talent and a national schedule.

Paytc breaks it down in terms of relations with players, and that's the most important part, really, as high school coaching is really teaching. Do your players/students learn about the game, about themselves and a little about life, and will they look back and say "I'm really glad I played high school basketball"? If so, the wins and losses are irrelevant.

Great point, Clay. While the ultimate goal is to win a state championship, You, me, and all the readers on here know that there's 1 open championship and 5-6 state champions in CA. Winning a state championship is a remarkable feat at any level, but does that mean the best coach is the one that led his/her team to that championship? I've been a huge advocate at not entirely looking at the end result, but looking at what coaches have to work with and how the team develops over the course of the season.

Which of these coaches do you think could work with a low level group of kids and make them better or make them contenders? All of the coaches on this list are amazing in one facet or the other. But in terms of complete development, one of these coaches stands out (in my mind) more than the rest. Which of these coaches could/would change the culture of a non-contender and develop from the ground up.

Top Programs
Sue P-Mitty
Tom G-SMS
Kelly S-Miramonte
Steve P-Salesian
Malik M-BOD
Doc S Pinewood

Other Coaches/program
Rob O-Heritage
Matt L-Pitt
Elgin L-Carondolet
Pico W-Brookside
Doug N-Mission SJ
Cherrie C-Logan
Wade N-Presentation
Jason Lee-Lincoln (SF)
Chris R-Lincoln (Stk)
Jeff O-McClatchy
Allison J-Vanden
LaRyan R-SHC

I could go on and on..but I think it's a list to start the conversation.

Reactions: sfpreps
Great point, Clay. While the ultimate goal is to win a state championship, You, me, and all the readers on here know that there's 1 open championship and 5-6 state champions in CA. Winning a state championship is a remarkable feat at any level, but does that mean the best coach is the one that led his/her team to that championship? I've been a huge advocate at not entirely looking at the end result, but looking at what coaches have to work with and how the team develops over the course of the season.

Which of these coaches do you think could work with a low level group of kids and make them better or make them contenders? All of the coaches on this list are amazing in one facet or the other. But in terms of complete development, one of these coaches stands out (in my mind) more than the rest. Which of these coaches could/would change the culture of a non-contender and develop from the ground up.

Top Programs
Sue P-Mitty
Tom G-SMS
Kelly S-Miramonte
Steve P-Salesian
Malik M-BOD
Doc S Pinewood

Other Coaches/program
Rob O-Heritage
Matt L-Pitt
Elgin L-Carondolet
Pico W-Brookside
Doug N-Mission SJ
Cherrie C-Logan
Wade N-Presentation
Jason Lee-Lincoln (SF)
Chris R-Lincoln (Stk)
Jeff O-McClatchy
Allison J-Vanden
LaRyan R-SHC

I could go on and on..but I think it's a list to start the conversation.

I would add to the already for the most part good list......

Monica Mertle, CN
Donavan Blythe, EPA
Coach Buck, Woodside
Mike Wooldridge, E.B.Tigers
Coach Chiam, California
Bernard/Clay, Cal Stars
Jon Sanders, 50 Allstars
Art Thoms, Campolindo
Brad Swint, formerly Clayton Valley

Like Norcal_Fan I'm sure I'm unintentionally forgetting others.

Last edited:
As always, I'm going to add Erin Llewellyn of Emery. Larry Minnich of Bay (who won a state title at Convent of the Sacred Heart) is excellent too.

Dani Oswood, who was at Athenian, has moved away so she no longer is on the list.

I would like to add

Dorvez Barnett Antioch HS.

Just with two years over the program he has revived Antioch Womens basketball. From what I have been seeing he has truly made the BVAL a competitive league all the way around and you could can see true development of the program and of his players starting from the absolute bottom.

Also to mention he has one the biggest lower level tourneys in the area. I would recommend him of one of the coaches that was mentioned.

As always, I'm going to add Erin Llewellyn of Emery. Larry Minnich of Bay (who won a state title at Convent of the Sacred Heart) is excellent too.

Dani Oswood, who was at Athenian, has moved away so she no longer is on the list.

Question, Clay. How do you think a coach like Sue or Kelly do at a place like Emeryville, Bentley, or a place like El Cerrito and/or how do you think Erin Llewellyn do at Mitty or a place like Miramonte?

Interesting question ...

I think the frustration factor (working with low-level talent) would be a problem for top coaches at small schools, but also the commitment wouldn't be there at the start.

That said, give Sue or Kelly five years at Bentley, say, and it's a powerhouse. I just don't know if they could hang in there long enough for the talent to show up.

By the same token, it would take some time for Erin to adjust to working with kids who have a completely different background and mindset than the ones she's worked with for years, and she would have to make adjustments in the way she coached and her own commitment.

But I think that if a quality coach is willing to make the commitment, success with talent will come -- though again patience will be required.

Please don't overlook the Central Valley!
I think you need to add Robb Spencer at Modesto Christian and Modesto Magic! He is a perennial NorCal contender, has made state finals with his teams, won a State Championship and his tiny school (enrollment varies from 180-340) keeps getting pushed up and down due to insane SJS rules (see details below!)

In 2009 Placed in D4, Lost in State Championships Final
In 2010 Placed in D4, Lost in Nor Cal Semifinals
In 2011-Placed in D4, Lost in Nor Cal Finals
In 2012-Moved to D3, Lost in Nor Cal Semifinals
In 2013- Kept in D3 Lost in NorCals 1/4 finals
In 2014-Won the D3 State Championships
In 2015-Moved to D2, Won D2 SJS Section Championships, got pushed the Open in NorCals, lost to St. Mary's Stockton (who won Open State that year) in the first round
In 2016-Pushed to D1 (Why?) Lost to St. Mary's Stockton in the 2nd round of SJS Sections
In 2017-Placed in D2, lost in the SJS Sections 2nd round

Reactions: Paytc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT