ADVERTISEMENT

Will Mitty still rule the WCAL this season?

Rmbr26

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2004
Just read that MItty lost to Folsom after leading 33-12 at the 1/2. It was Mitty's 3rd loss in 4 games in the MaxPreps tournament.
So maybe Mitty is vulnerable to one of the other top tier teams in WCAL? St. Francis is currently 8-1 and Serra has looked good despite a decisive loss at DLS. It does look like after these 3 teams the pack separates with then Bells, SHC, ARHS, SI & VC.
Haven't seen most of the teams play yet, so not sure if this is an accurate picture yet or not.

I would say Mittys preseason schedule is much tougher than the other WCAL teams, but I dont think Mitty will dominate the league either. League champ could have two or three losses. Mitty owns an early 15 point win over St Francis if thats any indication.

I believe Mitty is still favorite. But They lack great guard play, which they have had in the recent past.
2. Serra
3. St. Francis
4. Riordan
5. SHC
6. Bellarmine
7. SI
8. Valley Christian

Should be interesting season. No one team is head and heals better than any other.
A lot of Close games. Could be a co-champ year. 10-4 could win league

I think Mitty will win league by 2 games. Their front court size and athleticism cannot be matched by any league team.

I find it peculiar that Bellarmine and Valley Christian who are powers in football cannot put together the same results for basketball. Bellarmine I know used to be that way in the 90s, early 00s, but theyve fallen off with most of the basketball talent in the SJ area going to Mitty. VC is really a joke in basketball. You'd think all these star athletes in football can just be on the basketball team.

A question for all three above me on this board and perhaps ColHenry, NCSF and others.

Would it ever be possible for a so called WCAL school to drop one of the 3 big sports, Football, Baseball and Basketball?

I know the then Valley Christian AD (can't remember his name) and everyone associated with VC have always vehemently denied the fact that some baseball type guys at Mitty were/are told not to play basketball...

Other umpires in the South Bay also heard this especially around the time that young Dunston attended Valley Christian.

Thoughts?

Mitty is the clear favorite...but I find your #2 and #3 to be suspect. Either Riordan or SHC will replace them. Riordan and SHC has played better opponents overall. So I would not be surprised at all if this scenario occurred.

This post was edited on 12/31 1:53 PM by Scott2138

I agree, Scott2138. Either Riordan or SHC will replace them. Wasn't SF undefeated last year going in to league play? That soft schedule didn't help them.

I agree Mitty is still the class of the WCAL, but I say St. Francis will finish as high as 2nd. They just beat San Ramon Valley who won the Riordan Crusader Classic. They also beat a Jesuit team that beat Bishop Gorman. I think Serra, SH and Riordan will finish 3-4-5 in some order. That's why they play the games.

Except for their loss to #1-ranked Bishop O'Dowd, Riordan's preseason schedule has been ok, with notable wins vs. Alhambra, University-SF, and Clayton Valley Charter. Besides O'Dowd, the also had a surprising loss to Mission-SF.
Not sure if the 6'6" Aussie will be available when league play starts next week.

This post was edited on 12/31 5:06 PM by cityfan

Riordan played a soft preseason. SSF twice, mission who they lost to, Alhambra and el camino.
SHC will lose twice to SI because they can't figure out the zone.
Serra has destroyed weaker opponents. 2 loses to two very good teams de la salle and corona del mar. Plus Chuck
St Francis good win against Jesuit in their tourney. Beat good SRV tram and won their tourney

SHgradSIdad, I think St. Francis will be good, but crowning them second in the wcal is a little premature because they were at this point last year too as city said. I just don't see St. Francis beating Serra twice let alone SHCP or even Riordan. What is going on with the Aussie transfer or hold up? It would really be a waste to bring this kid to the U.S. and not even let him play!

Regarding SHCP, the boys' and girls' teams played a tough pre-season schedule, and a couple of calls here or there, we would be talking about better ranks. But maybe, it is better to stay under the radar this year. The SI zone does give SHC problems, that may be true especially last year more than any other year. Maybe, it is up to baby Dunbar who goes to SHC now to avenge some of that in future years. But as people say, " that is why the games are played".

This post was edited on 12/31 5:50 PM by Scott2138

This post was edited on 12/31 5:52 PM by Scott2138

Saw St Francis play all 3 games at Jesuit. Came away very impressed with their total team. They play hard ,together and have bigs and guards. They did have a little let down against Mitty but after watching both teams several times i would say if they played 10 times they go 5 and 5. Mitty bigs are good but not outstanding and their guard play is suspect. They truly are missing the Peterson/Mcandrews connection. St Francis could without question win the WCAL . I dont see a clear cut favorite. They have a good coach and some leadership on that team.

We'll see right away how good the top 4 are when St. Francis hosts Riordan, and Mitty plays @ SHC on the 1st night of WCAL play.

Agree. Mitty is the prohibitive favorite this season in WCAL. #'s 2-5 will be a tossup as they are a half tier below Mitty:
Mitty (guard play will need to improve if the Monarchs have sights for a Norcal/State Title run)Serra (Ton of respect for Coach Rapp and always wacky game finishes in the Padre's Jungle)St. Francis (darkhorse for a strong second place finish, let's see how they fare in league)SHC (Talent and Barbour leading the Irish...this team needs to play with urgency and determination throughout)Riordan (Work in progress with newcomers Norman, Rassam and Smith. Question marks on health of Karim and eligibility of Colton. Stansberry looks to make his mark after one year on the bench)Bellarmine (young team that looks improved. how can a school of 1600+ not field a competitive starting 5 in WCAL?)SI (young team, new coach. interesting to see this team perform post-Dunbar era.)Valley Christian (not much info I have on them, other than undewhelming non-league play.)
Originally posted by Lincoln240:
I believe Mitty is still favorite. But They lack great guard play, which they have had in the recent past.
2. Serra
3. St. Francis
4. Riordan
5. SHC
6. Bellarmine
7. SI
8. Valley Christian

Should be interesting season. No one team is head and heals better than any other.
A lot of Close games. Could be a co-champ year. 10-4 could win league

This post was edited on 1/1 9:18 AM by jordan24

Mercury News Top 15 in CCS as of Thursday Jan. 1

Looks about right other than minor shuffling, anyone disagree?

1. Mitty 6-3
2. St. Francis 8-1
3. Serra 7-2
4. Riordan 7-2
5. SHC 4-3
6. Half Moon Bay 9-0
7. Sacred Heart Prep 7-1
8. St. Ignatius 4-3
9. Bellarmine 5-2
10. Homestead 9-2
11. Menlo School 6-3
12. Leland 7-3
13. Piedmont Hills 6-2
14. Palo Alto 8-2
15. Mills 6-4
* Valley Christian 4-4 NR

CCS basketball is way down. The WCAL is still OK at the top but the EBAL is a stronger league. DLS MV and SRV would be pre season favorites with Mitty and St. Francis. But after that the EBAL has top teams like Granada, Foothill and Amador while the WCAL drops off. Serra and the SF schools are just not at a high level.

Originally posted by NateThe great:
CCS basketball is way down. The WCAL is still OK at the top but the EBAL is a stronger league. DLS MV and SRV would be pre season favorites with Mitty and St. Francis. But after that the EBAL has top teams like Granada, Foothill and Amador while the WCAL drops off. Serra and the SF schools are just not at a high level.
Nate - I found your comments interesting and was just reviewing the teams records and strengths of schedules and the WCAL appears to be right up there with the EBAL with maybe the exception of DLS [not sure how Mitty would stack up against them yet]. So looking at MV, they have nearly the exact power rating and strength of schedule as St. Francis and on paper they are almost even. As for SRV they have already lost to St. Francis by 60-52. Serra has 2 losses, but to 2 teams ranked higher than anyone Monte Vista has played so these 2 teams [Serra & MV] appear about even on paper as well.

As for Granada & Foothill they've had fairly soft schedules so far with Foothill losing to Concord & Antioch while of Amador's 4 losses 3 were to much lower ranked teams. Granada has had one of the softest schedules and in power ratings is ranked lower than SHC, Riordan & Bellarmine. It's still a bit early, but so far the EBAL is not showing any clear edge that they are a stronger league than the WCAL. Here are the current state rankings for the WCAL & EBAL teams [WCAL teams in Bold]

#17 DLS
#20 Mitty
#26 St. Francis

#35 Monte Vista
#59 SRV
#60 Serra
#117 Amador Valley
#127 SHC
#128 Riordan
#142 Bellarmine

#167 Foothill
# 177 Granada
#238 St. Ignatius
#422 Valley Christian

#496 California
#902 Livermore

I love how we use "power ratings". This is high school basketball and everyone wants to make this level a collegiate event. These players have ups and downs and one game they can look like a title contender and the next they are not worthy of post season play. Both the WCAL and EBAL have strong cases for who is strongest. Perhaps since we want to make this more like college we can have a day next year where WCAL and EBAL can have a showcase day and play each other?

Originally posted by eastbaytruth:
I love how we use "power ratings". This is high school basketball and everyone wants to make this level a collegiate event. These players have ups and downs and one game they can look like a title contender and the next they are not worthy of post season play. Both the WCAL and EBAL have strong cases for who is strongest. Perhaps since we want to make this more like college we can have a day next year where WCAL and EBAL can have a showcase day and play each other?
Eastbay - luv 'em or hate 'em the power ratings & strength of schedules are a clear indication of how good teams really are & remove any bias simply based upon a person's opinion. Therefore there is nothing to argue about as they based upon a team's record, who they've played and the opponent's record's in comparison in win's & losses and the rankings of all their opponents as well.

In all sports teams can have "up" and "down" games and the reason why they are played in the first place. A poster on this thread indicated the EBAL was clearly superior this season, but there is just no basis to form such an opinion this early in the season.
With each game we get a clearer picture and with the post season playoffs we'll get to see the best teams as they have less "down games" as the teams they will be beating.

Just had to re ply to this. Seems some on here say i know nothing outside of Elk Grove. Well look above and see who i said could win the WCAL this year

Originally posted by Lincoln240:

SHC will lose twice to SI because they can't figure out the zone.

Who swept who again?
roll.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT