ADVERTISEMENT

Windsor KO'd in first round at home again

Agapbliitz

Seasoned Veteran
Feb 7, 2017
Can someone enlighten me on the issue at Windsor. All I have read and heard around the empire is how great Coach Taylor is. Last year they get upset at home by Montgomery, and this year they lose in the first round at home again. That is zero playoff wins in 2 years. Can somebody explain this to me? Is this guy and the the Windsor program just overrated? He's probably not going to ever get the Newman job he's been chasing with this kind of resume. Disaster if you ask me. Glad we stayed away from that ship! If I'm not mistaken this coach has zero section playoff wins?

Last year was a big disappointment getting bounced in round 1 when they went into that game like 25-2. This year they were fading fast at year end. They ended up 1-4 in there last 5 games. They weren't very deep this year and it showed. But an #8 seed vs #9 seed isn't much of an upset. I've only heard good things about coach taylor.

Can someone enlighten me on the issue at Windsor. All I have read and heard around the empire is how great Coach Taylor is. Last year they get upset at home by Montgomery, and this year they lose in the first round at home again. That is zero playoff wins in 2 years. Can somebody explain this to me? Is this guy and the the Windsor program just overrated? He's probably not going to ever get the Newman job he's been chasing with this kind of resume. Disaster if you ask me. Glad we stayed away from that ship! If I'm not mistaken this coach has zero section playoff wins?

Signed,
Disgruntled parent

Seems like Long is still angry about getting kicked off CN team in his senior year. You bad mouthed Bonfigli last week and now are coming at Taylor. The Cagers have single-handily ruined north bay basketball. Does it make you feel good to go after your competition? Seems solid to me. Answer me this agap, how does Montgomery lose a game when half the Cagers coaches officiate in the North Bay league?

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalSportsMom
Atleast Bonfigli has section playoff wins! This guy at Windsor has zero, yet all I hear is how good he is. Is the coaching circle in the empire that bad? No wonder we get no love from the Bay area teams. The worst was last year with a 2 loss team who beat no nobody and still got ousted in the 1st round by a mediocre Montgomery team with a first year head coach. What is the reason both these teams refuse to play anybody worth a sit on a toilet seat? Nobody cares about the NBL tournament. Those aren't really playoff wins. You guys are short sighted big time.

Atleast Bonfigli has section playoff wins! This guy at Windsor has zero, yet all I hear is how good he is. Is the coaching circle in the empire that bad? No wonder we get no love from the Bay area teams. The worst was last year with a 2 loss team who beat no nobody and still got ousted in the 1st round by a mediocre Montgomery team with a first year head coach. What is the reason both these teams refuse to play anybody worth a sit on a toilet seat? Nobody cares about the NBL tournament. Those aren't really playoff wins. You guys are short sighted big time.
You seem way too angry at 630 in the morning. Cheer up guy.

You can't compare Bonfigli and Taylor. One has been at it 40+ years (most of it at one of the premier schools in Ncal) and one is pretty young with a lot of his career ahead of him. And arguably the best coach north of the gate is a young skinny looking kid from Monty named Tiedeman. His teams will always compete and over achieve.

You can't compare Bonfigli and Taylor. One has been at it 40+ years (most of it at one of the premier schools in Ncal) and one is pretty young with a lot of his career ahead of him. And arguably the best coach north of the gate is a young skinny looking kid from Monty named Tiedeman. His teams will always compete and over achieve.
I am not comparing. But zero playoff wins? This isn't his first year. Lets face it he has under performed. All anyone says is that they have heard good things but I never hear anything specific and when I bring up the elephant in the room everyone runs and hides or tries to deflect. I want to address the zero playoff wins.

Larry - what has Tiedemann done? He's coached for 2 years and is 5-8 against Windsor and CN in those years. Taylor beat Marin Catholic when he was at Healdsburg in NCS. That's one win.

Larry - what has Tiedemann done? He's coached for 2 years and is 5-8 against Windsor and CN in those years. Taylor beat Marin Catholic when he was at Healdsburg in NCS. That's one win.
But beat Windsor when it counted, when Windsor was the #1 seed and had home court. Good coaches win in the playoffs when it counts. Look at the other night, Monty wins another playoff game. Tiedemann has more playoff wins in his first season than Taylor does over his entire tenure at Windsor!

Agap - Did this years league MVP from Windsor play in the game when Montgomery beat Windsor at Windsor when it counted? I see the score was 53-51 in overtime. That must have been a great game.

Last edited:
Agap - Did this years league MVP from Windsor play in the game when Montgomery beat Windsor at Windsor when it counted? I see the score was 53-51 in overtime. That must have been a great game.
#1 seed on their home floor against a mediocre opponent that year with a first year head coach. It shouldn't have been close. The coach wasn't prepared and thats why he doesnt have a playoff win. That is all I am saying. I don't get what you are defending, these are facts not opinions.

Boy it would be interesting to know who you guys are and/or where your sons play. Anyway, as long as we're speaking truth here: what about the fact that Taylor, love him or hate him, gets very little home grown talent on his team, and that whatever success he has had largely comes from his ability to bring in players from other areas who just happen to play for his off season program? And how come parents from the towns where they come from are not willing to file complaints with NCS? And while we're at it what about the overall question of how AAU programs run by all sorts of people are all in consistant violation of CIF recruiting rules and the spirit of the role of HS sports?

For what its worth Tiedeman was pulling the strings at Monty long before he was "officially" the head coach. Def seems like a lot of sour grapes. Good luck to Monty and Newman. Would be great to see them match up again.

The NBL definitely has some great qualified coaches. I wonder why though, the Piner High coach Mike Erickson gets left off the list? Because of district realignment, he's had a lot less talent over the years but he's one of the best. He had great teams in the mid to late 90s and very successful records in the early 2000s if I recall correctly. It also seems like there have been many successful coaches that have come out of the Santa Rosa JC program. Tiederman played there right? Also Anton Lyons, currently at Mount Diablo, Sol Henik, currently at Acalanes and I'm pretty sure the Petaluma coach played at the JC too.

If we are talking strictly Bonfigli and Travis no playoff wins Taylor...... Erickson is far and above both in every way imaginable. I'm a bit saddened at the fact that he is at Piner. I would have sent my kids to him if the school hadn't gone down the crapper.

Between AAU, Junior High and High School, my boys have played for Taylor, Long, Bonfigli and Tieds. I would chose Taylor EVERY TIME over any of the other coaches. He develops players.

If you develop players you win games If you have good players you develop you win playoff games what looks good on the surface is not always good once you peel away the layers. Zero playoff wins with solid overall talent gets you fired at many schools.

Last edited:
Between AAU, Junior High and High School, my boys have played for Taylor, Long, Bonfigli and Tieds. I would chose Taylor EVERY TIME over any of the other coaches. He develops players.

Your kid must have bounced around too a lot of programs. I'm pretty sure that would be impossible to play for all these coaches over 1 lifetime unless you've had multiple kids going to different schools.

In terms of windsor, they faded fast to end the year. Not sure if they were fatigued from lack of depth or what but 1-4 to end the season will do it. Hot teams this time of the year is what you are looking for.

I still think bonfigli is the gold standard. You don't win 750 games by accident. And this year their team is not exactly loaded with talent. They are just a group of gritty HS players who play hard and work well together. You might not even have a JC/D3 type kid on this team.

Your kid must have bounced around too a lot of programs. I'm pretty sure that would be impossible to play for all these coaches over 1 lifetime unless you've had multiple kids going to different schools.

In terms of windsor, they faded fast to end the year. Not sure if they were fatigued from lack of depth or what but 1-4 to end the season will do it. Hot teams this time of the year is what you are looking for.

I still think bonfigli is the gold standard. You don't win 750 games by accident. And this year their team is not exactly loaded with talent. They are just a group of gritty HS players who play hard and work well together. You might not even have a JC/D3 type kid on this team.

No, my boys did not bounce anything. Multiple boys, same high school, same Junior High and two different AAU programs over 10 years. And my pick would STILL be Travis!

Agap - why don't the middle schools or Montgomery let you head coach? It is an anger thing, right? How did Bonfigli handle you in your senior year? My understanding it was his first year at Cardinal Newman.

Aren't Bonfigli and BL thick as thieves now with the whole Cagers program? Bonfigli used to hate the Cagers and was NBBA all the way and now he has jumped ship to the Cagers. What's that all about? Oh, and for those that say Taylor doesn't win, his AAU Teams have been extremely successful.
R u his mom lol

AAU is for showcasing kids. Winning is secondary. In the normal world of HS basketball wins matter. Sounds like he needs to be a full time AAU coach and not a HS coach since he can't produce. He needs to stick to the amateur circuit and leave the regular ball to the pros haha. How can you develop kids when you were a bench warmer on your own HS team to my understanding? Fill me in

Am I his mom? No! Are you a hater? Sure seems like it! I am a parent who has had multiple boys play for all of those coaches. So I think I would have a pretty good idea of who is a respectable, un-selfish coach who treats his players with dignity while making them better.

Am I his mom? No! Are you a hater? Sure seems like it! I am a parent who has had multiple boys play for all of those coaches. So I think I would have a pretty good idea of who is a respectable, un-selfish coach who treats his players with dignity while making them better.
^^Somebody's a hater!^^ Coach Travis is an amazing coach and he doesn't even coach my boy. I'd take him over Bonfigli and Tiedeman any day.

So your kid played for him? That is Not what you said last year. Enlighten us mom.

"Doesn't (present tense) even coach my boy". Correct! At the time he did not coach him. Travis was not coaching my boy last year or the year before or the year before that. But he sure did coach him in AAU ball for many years. Any more questions?

Boy it would be interesting to know who you guys are and/or where your sons play. Anyway, as long as we're speaking truth here: what about the fact that Taylor, love him or hate him, gets very little home grown talent on his team, and that whatever success he has had largely comes from his ability to bring in players from other areas who just happen to play for his off season program? And how come parents from the towns where they come from are not willing to file complaints with NCS? And while we're at it what about the overall question of how AAU programs run by all sorts of people are all in consistant violation of CIF recruiting rules and the spirit of the role of HS sports?

For the record, last yrs NBL mvp Gabe Knight, this yr co mvp Riley Smith and his twin brother and last yr 1st team all NBL Parker, did not play for Taylors AAU team.

They all transferred into Windsor hs (from out of county and state) with no AAU connection.

For the record, last yrs NBL mvp Gabe Knight, this yr co mvp Riley Smith and his twin brother and last yr 1st team all NBL Parker, did not play for Taylors AAU team.

They all transferred into Windsor hs (from out of county and state) with no AAU connection.
You just mentioned a lot of talented players. Which brings me to my question that nobody has addressed- the lack of playoff wins. Can somebody enlighten or educate me on this? All I keep hearing is how great he is but no one is willing to hold him accountable for underperforming as a head coach. Someone please explain!

Yikes. I'm stepping out of this one. I don't have any skin in the game except I played for Newman and Coach Bonfigli during the glory days in the late 80's and early 90's. Lots of W's. He was good to me. Tough as hell back then. I'm sure he's gotten a little past his prime and the game has changed a lot since then. I would love to see a coach Taylor type take over once Bomber hits that 800#. Heck bring Kramer along too. Man I hated chasing him around at Piner. For those that don't know, that guy could score with anybody.

Yikes. I'm stepping out of this one. I don't have any skin in the game except I played for Newman and Coach Bonfigli during the glory days in the late 80's and early 90's. Lots of W's. He was good to me. Tough as hell back then. I'm sure he's gotten a little past his prime and the game has changed a lot since then. I would love to see a coach Taylor type take over once Bomber hits that 800#. Heck bring Kramer along too. Man I hated chasing him around at Piner. For those that don't know, that guy could score with anybody.
Great idea. Bring Taylor in. First round playoff exits, non league games against Clearlake, Cloverdale, and St. Helena! Can't wait

Are you talking on the basketball court?
Or with the ladies?
Cause rumor has it he put up numbers in both categories :D;)

Reactions: bella123
Obviously agapbliitz was at all the Windsor practices and talked with coach Taylor about his game plan before every game. What would you have done differently in the two playoff games they lost this year and last year?

Agaps son is a sophomore on Montgomery so it's important he swings from someone I guess. It's easy to bash from the stands. In his eyes BL and ZT are Dr. Naismith and John Wooden, which makes sense given he wants his son to get an opportunity at Santa Rosa JC

I come on here and state the obvious with facts and instead of backing this dude with facts you guys spend all your time trying to figure out who i am. Let's address this elephant n the room. Playoff wins. Can somebody address why the dude folds like a piece of paper under pressure in the playoffs? Oh but wait he develops kids in the AAU program he's making money off of. Ha!

Last edited:
agap- What has the Cagers done for your son? CYO playoffs start tomorrow, will you help them distribute their flyers? I'm guessing practices start Monday.

agap- What has the Cagers done for your son? CYO playoffs start tomorrow, will you help them distribute their flyers? I'm guessing practices start Monday.
Maybe Coach Taylor can help us with the flyers? Seems as he has nothing to do after that first round KO haha

It doesn't sound like you guys get along very well. Zak Ward and Bear Whitfield can help as I'm sure they will be officiating the local games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT