ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA IS BACK

Joe Lacob is a winner and will build a very good team. I just don't like Chase Center -- it's hard to get to, very expensive to park near and enjoy, and I just wish they could have played in Oakland.

That said, AASEG was never serious so it was the Warriors or nothing.

One note: There's a chance Haley Jones could wind up on the team, and maybe Morgan Bertsch. My guess is Sabrina likes to win too much to play for an expansion team.

Reactions: CaliHoops23
def should have played somewhere on the other side of the bridge. not fair SF gets all the nice things. i might have stopped in for a game if in oakland, but access to chase is too much to deal with. although i have got lucky and parked at the hospital for free a couple times.

If Lacob had to pledge $50 million for the team, he pretty much has to play at Chase.

When they win, people will come.

Joe Lacob is a winner and will build a very good team. I just don't like Chase Center -- it's hard to get to, very expensive to park near and enjoy, and I just wish they could have played in Oakland.

That said, AASEG was never serious so it was the Warriors or nothing.

One note: There's a chance Haley Jones could wind up on the team, and maybe Morgan Bertsch. My guess is Sabrina likes to win too much to play for an expansion team.
How does the expanison roster building work? Do teams leave players unprotected for an expansion draft?

In the past, WNBA teams have protected six, and can lose just one. And the expansion team does not get a lottery pick.

Here's a way too early list of potential picks, but it does give an idea of the quality of players likely to be available.

G Shaneice Swain
G Natasha Cloud (who might immediately ask for a trade, but would have value)
G Lou Lopez Sénéchal
G Leigha Brown
G Maya Caldwell
G Kia Nurse

PF Kadi Sissoko
PF Nikolina Milić

P Han Xu
P Cayla George
P Laeticia Amihere
P Ruthy Hebard

Historically, and even more so recently, the draft generally delivers only a couple of WNBA-starter level players. Assuming the expansion team picks fifth, the recent picks were:

2022: Nyara Sabally, Liberty (plays very seldom on a really good team)
2021: Chelsea Dungee, Dallas (not in the league)
2020: Bella Alarie, Dallas (injured, I think, didn't play this year)
2019: Arike Ogunbowale, Dallas (big-time scorer, top-shelf player)
2018: Jordin Canada, Seattle (decent player so far, if she continues to make 35% of her threes, she could start for a contender)
2017: Nia Coffey, San Antonio (avg. 5 points and 3 RBs for her career)
2016: Aerial Powers, Dallas (good scorer for several seasons, fell off in 2023)

So one chance out of six of getting a star at No. 5 seems about right.

Reactions: Streak One
I’ve never been to Chase, but have been to nearby Oracle Park. Agree about difficult parking and other stuff said here..

I’m thinking BART and walk/uber/bus would be the best bet for a person going there alone, but add family, date, or friend and that way gets close to being as expensive as parking/driving.

But I haaaaaaaaate BART…. would need an incredibly compelling reason to use it for just about anything.

The biggest problem for me with BART is getting home. The trains don't run as often later at night, and you need to take a trolley from Chase to an SF BART station. And everyone leaves at the same time.

And if BART continues to flounder, trains may only run once an hour.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT