ADVERTISEMENT

Wow... Anyone hear about what's going on at Sonoma Academy?

Not very impressed. Sonoma Academy probably has put together a little baseball program. These 5 games were against other D5 and D6 schools who probably have difficulty fielding a team. The enrollments are from 171 to 329. Interestingly all these schools except Tomales (171) have only a varsity. Sonoma and Tomales both have a frosh team. 3 of the 5 games were 5 inning games. All the teams have losing records. Most of their wins were against each other. Tomales lost its first game of season 33-0 in 5 innings to potter valley who then lost its next game to south fork 28-1. YOU GET MY DRIFT .Only 1 game was a no hitter by 1 pitcher De La Montoya and it wasn't a shutout. . De LA Montoya pitched 5 innings against Bay School in 11-1 win. He then pitched 6 more innings the next game. Not done much in high school. Over use. He also pitched 3 of 5 and 3 of 5 in the first 2 no hitters. The only real high school team they played was to Northgate and they lost .

HEAT, I think there's a lot of truth in what you say, however, it was reported in the PD the other day that De La Montanya has committed to Sonoma State, so at least one highly successful D2 program thinks he can play.

Adds to my point. A good pitcher who gets over worked on his high school team , who dominated inferior opponents. Congrats to him to stay home and continue his education and playing

Just to be fair, I wasn't trying to say that these guys were turning into MLB's feeder school, or anything else of the sort, not even that they were a title contender in their division.

I saw that article by chance on the front page of MaxPreps. There was also a front-page article on MaxPreps after the previous no-hitter. If MaxPreps put articles about this little school on their front page *twice*, they must have found this streak pretty amazing.

Five no-hitters in a row is flat-out amazing any time, any place, anywhere, with maybe the exception of girls' fast-pitch where good pitchers totally dominate and no-no's happen seemingly all the time. Even then, five in a row is not exactly common.

very true there are diamonds in the ruff everywhere. Thats why every year the NFL, MLB,And NBA find guys from places no one has ever heard of. No one ever knocked Sonoma Academy. De LA is obviously a good pitcher but he and the team beat no-one. You mean to tell me that if any pitcher from the Delta league for example pitch the bulk of the 5 games against teams that lose 33-0 in 5 and watch that team turn and lose by 28-1 wouldn't do the same..Half the kids or more on all those teams wouldn't make a jv team around here. Oh yah they don't have jv there so they make varsity by default. Not impressed

Reactions: Crusaders70
Wow, and then there's that.

Then again, the Giants made that famous comeback in the last weeks of the 1951 season and later it was found that they were getting much help from the scoreboard operator. Did MLB take their league title away?

Lets talk about the real deal. Jake Arieta is 15-0 in his last 17 games andjust threw his second no hitter in his last 11 games. Thats off the charts

Arieta is absolutely incredible, no doubt, but if we're going to let the thread drift this is great story about an Analy softball player makes a lot more sense to discuss on a prep sports board than an MLB player. Nice piece and the girl is definitely the real deal. (But how come I still half expect that GS fool barge in to say that she lives in a crappy town and goes to a crappy school but Folsom is awesome?)

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/5523726-181/padecky-analy-softball-star-saja?artslide=0

@ Quaffer that story was bone chilling from start to finish. The parents did an incredible job with this child and something tells me we haven't heard the last of this girl.

Reactions: concrete17
Both of those programs need to start playing some decent opponents in non-league games. The top teams in SCL and NBL would have nothing to gain by playing them, but some lower level teams in the those leagues would probably be willing to play.

Agreed SV needs to get back to playing the likes of Analy, Casa, ElMo, Healdsburg, Tam, San Marin, Novato, Drake like they used to. Those Casa Grande / St. Vincent games in the mid 90's were a really a great competitive series.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT