ADVERTISEMENT

WOW!!!! BOOK TO NOTRE DAME

QB recruiting is as much an art as it is a science ... forecasting how a kid will develop in college under bright lights is nearly impossible ... like throwing darts at a board.

Good to see a < 6'4" kid get an offer. Not many recruiting coordinators will risk their jobs on a stud 6' 0" QB. The JC route is usually their only alternative since the cards are stacked against these type of kids.

Its really about what is between the ears not only how good a kid looks at a skills assessment from a physicality standpoint. Frankly I'm tired of all the hype some of these athletes get but they aren't even football players once the pads go on. Book is the kind of kid you want running your team. He's smart and witty with an above average arm. Keep in mind Drew Brees had 2 offers coming out of HS. Purdue and UK. Not saying he's Drew Brees but kids get overlooked all the time.

Its really about what is between the ears not only how good a kid looks at a skills assessment from a physicality standpoint. Frankly I'm tired of all the hype some of these athletes get but they aren't even football players once the pads go on. Book is the kind of kid you want running your team. He's smart and witty with an above average arm. Keep in mind Drew Brees had 2 offers coming out of HS. Purdue and UK. Not saying he's Drew Brees but kids get overlooked all the time.
Aaron Rodgers had zero...

My gut tells me that a QB need to have an X factor ... one that nobody knows how to measure ... and I think it centers around their ability to concentrate under chaotic situations. The great QB's always exibit leadership, presence and poise.

My gut tells me that a QB need to have an X factor ... one that nobody knows how to measure ... and I think it centers around their ability to concentrate under chaotic situations. The great QB's always exibit leadership, presence and poise.
Agreed! Sometimes recruiters put too much on the physical measurables. Producing is the bottom line. You are seeing more QB's that are not the typical height win on all levels. The common traits are solid arms, big time, competitors, mental game, leadership, and they are just flat out winners. Good for Oak Ridge QB.

Agreed! Sometimes recruiters put too much on the physical measurables. Producing is the bottom line. You are seeing more QB's that are not the typical height win on all levels. The common traits are solid arms, big time, competitors, mental game, leadership, and they are just flat out winners. Good for Oak Ridge QB.

Physical and mental toughness is something that doesn't show up as a statistic. Today's QB's at all levels need to be able to take more and bigger hits than ever before. Being an old fart, when I was young a defense that's blitzed a lot was looked upon as having weaknesses. Now a days the defenses are so aggressive and complex that even good solid defenses blitz a fair share. Back in the day when I was watching a game I would announce every blitz. I don't do that anymore because it happens damn near every play!

I remember asking Roger Theder his Top Three attributes he looks for in a QB:
#1 - Toughness
#2 - Intelligence
#3 - Strong Arm

Why do you think Goff for CAL is so damn good. Sure he's tall but not by any means a great physical specimen. He has all those intangibles. Funny how 10 miles up highway 50 you have 2 schools Folsom and OR who continue to produce great QB's.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I think Book is very good and has moxie (went to section finals as a sophomore), but it is tough when you go to a football factory like Notre Dame. I liked his forecasts a lot better when he was headed to Washington State.

With all of that said, big congrats to Ian and his family. Handled the recruiting process well and was patient with the QB dominoes.

Gotta be the biggest news out of the SJS in a long time

C'mon Larry, what's with the hyperbole? It's great news, sure. Any time a kid earns a scholarship, it's a great thing. And Norte Dame is a fantastic school. But biggest news out of the SJS in a long time? This isn't 1975. Going to Notre Dame isn't bigger news than a local kid accepting a full ride to USC, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, or even Baylor and TCU nowadays.

That said, it's great to see one of our diamonds in the rough noticed from far way. I expect Ian to do well in South Bend.

Its big news considering ND came out of nowhere. He was a lower level D1 kid with offers from Wash St, UNLV, and Boise. All of a sudden ND comes in. I mean you take kids like Jonah Williams and Browning from Folsom and it seems every big time school was in the mix from day 1. Doesn't dilute down there success but the shock factor isn't there.

ND might not be the team that I grew up watching but they are still a name that carries a lot of weight in college football. Look at there schedule this year. USC, GTECH, CLEMSON, TEXAS. Impressive.

Also, friend close to the program said Book has put on weight and grew from last year. Closer to 6"2 now and 190 lbs. So he's not as small as I first thought. He's an above average athlete with some speed. OR is going to open up the offense this year. Should be fun.

Reactions: ThunderRam
The key factor in high school sports recruiting is to find a school that wants you and you want them ... doesn't matter if it's Alabama or Azusa Pacific ... a fit is a fit!

Recruiting is an imperfect science ... more and more decisions are being made on measurables because its easier. To figure out the un-measurables you have to actually do work ... fly to the kid, meet with the kid (and their psycho parents), and then decide if you can win the recruiting battle (Cal vs USC, UCLA or Oregon - low winning % for Cal)?

Most coaches love coaching football ... not being a salesperson to an 18 year old kid (a kid who is weighing football uniforms and facilities more than a life-long education).

Reactions: Bubba3000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT