ADVERTISEMENT

Wow wow SMS ducks Salesian!!!!!!!!!

RespectBBGame

Sports Fanatic
Mar 16, 2015
Why would a team that supposed to have the best coach around duck another team? The questions is this year can SMS coach coach ducking school. Who is next on the list????

Clay
Hope that match comes in the WC FIRST ROUND IN KNOW HE HAD TO CALL YOU AND ASK TO BE ON THE OTHER SIDE??

ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT WHEN A TEAM HAS PLAYERS THAT ARE HURT COACHING HAS TO STEP IN? RIGHT OR WRONG OR DOES THE COACH GET A PASS LIKE HE DID WITH THE Confederate flag??

Don't know about the details, but I do know Brookside Christian wants to play Premier at the Jamboree this year, not Elite.

I think every coach, from Tom to Pico to Erin Llewellyn at Emery, has to take care of their team first and foremost. Sometimes that means bulking up the schedule, and sometimes it means backing off so the girls can remain confident. There's no magic formula, and every coach approaches scheduling differently.

Over the years, Tom Gonsalves has played pretty much everyone, pretty much everywhere, so if he feels this year he should make it easier, that's his privilege -- and again, I don't know the details so the situation might be different than Respect suggests.

Clay
So you are saying your going to give him a pass on WC so he don't have to play Salesian in early round?

If I remember last Brookside play the top team first when they only had 7 players that where available? The second game against Salesian they play with 4 players in Double OT when that against CIF rules because if they would have had 5 players they would have won that game?

The questions is everyone always saying how good of a coach he is let's see him coach this year????? But from my understanding I guess he is getting a pass on the top team this year???

It's only an eight-team tournament, so it's pretty hard to duck anyone -- and I think Salesian is one of the best teams in Northern California, so it wouldn't really make sense to have them play in the first round.

Regardless of how the bracket is set up, the better teams will play each other at some point, and we certainly don't want to play the championship game before its time. That would cost the tournament and the scholarship fund some money.

I think you're reaching a little on this one -- that Tom hatred is showing. SMS will play plenty of good teams, inside and outside the WCJ, and it will be a challenging season no matter what.

Agreed. California, especially SoCal, is so deep in talent that, at some points in the season, SMS will be severely challenged. Maybe not so much early on, but certainly later as March approaches.

Clay

Why does Brookside Christian always play the top team in the WCJ ? Last year LB and the year before that Salesian was the top team in their division? I guess there are always double standard when ithe comes to certain coaches??? Pico always does well when his back against the wall. He can coach any type of players above and beyond. But as usual some people get a pass everything think they do.

Let me answer that question of hatred. Is hatred when you tired of seeing young black women Queens treat the wrong and called out their name. A person that most you guys look up to as a God which is the total opposite with the Confederate flag.

First of all let me say in no way at all am I in support of any racially negative comments or actions by anyone in our society.

Now from just a strictly scheduling perspective it appears that St Mary's has scheduled top level competition this season. If Maxpreps is correct. St Mary's will play the following teams that should pose quite a challenge.

BOD
Cardinal Newman
Mitty
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Carondelet
Centennial Las Vegas
Riverdale Baptist

Not to mention probably being placed in the top level of the Nike TOC. Which probably means four games against national powers.

I think we'll see how the Rams come through this season.

Anyone have updates on DeCosta status?

Reactions: Paytc
As for Brookside's first-round matchups, I always checked with Pico before I set them up. If he had had any concerns, I would have done it differently.

And I haven't talked to Tom about the WCJ, and I usually don't. He's generally fine with whoever.

If you're always looking for reasons to feel persecuted, you can generally find them.

Clay I don't see the Nevada team on the SMS schedule....
where and when is that game?
What I no longer see is that Salesian game that was on SMS's schedule...
this is obviously the game that has started this convo...

As long as you can get them in the same bracket(first round ;)) at the WCJ...neutral court
We have got the matchup everybody wants to see
Respect says he "knows" Tom called you to request...putting SMS on the opposite
side of the WCJ bracket...you say this is not true....
Don't you love politics

It's possible Tom called someone else at the WCJ, but not likely. I have not talked to him, that I can say for sure.

We've just begun the process of putting together the brackets and matchups, and there's a long way to go yet. Especially in the Elite, there are a lot of differing requests, questions and factors to consider. Once we think we have something, we run it by all the coaches, and then go from there.

So conceivably any coach could object to the way the brackets are structured, and we would most likely listen. We want everyone to be as happy as possible and be as excited as possible about coming to the WCJ.

I think Brookside gets a raw deal a lot of the time. Last year they should have been given an opportunity to win a Div. 4 State title and not put in the open. Vanden should have been put in the open and then to add insult to the injury Brookside beats Pinewood in a head to head matchup late in the season and Pinewood is made a higher seed in the open and Brookside is made to go to Miramonte in the first round. To me it just does not pass the smell test. Now this year the SJS decides Brookside you’re going to have to play in Div. I for the next three years, come on that’s crazy.

Last edited:
Clay, I've organized tournaments before also, although not at the level of the WCJ. I know all about the "suggestions, requests, constraints, and demands" that are associated with setting up brackets and trying to make everyone happy. You do an excellent job of this, and especially given how public the WCJ process is. Thanks for all of your efforts. :)

I think Brookside gets a raw deal a lot of the time. Last year they should have been given an opportunity to win a Div. 4 State title and not put in the open. Vanden should have been put in the open and then to add insult to the injury Brookside beats Pinewood in a head to head matchup late in the season and Pinewood is made a higher seed in the open and Brookside is made to go to Miramonte in the first round. To me it just does not pass the smell test. Now this year the SJS decides Brookside you’re going to have to play in Div. I for the next three years, come on that’s crazy.

Lots of teams get raw deals -- Miramonte probably the worst over the years, having had to battle O'Dowd when O'Dowd would have been Open but there was no Open, and then going Open last year.

That was an odd seeding with Brookside having the head-to-head over Pinewood, but both teams were eliminated by Miramonte by 40 points or more, so I don't know that it made that much difference.

But sadly, there's no perfect system, and with every section doing bracketing and divisions differently, it's a zoo -- and sometimes you get to be king of the jungle, and other times you're food for the lions.

Clay

So I heard Through the Grapevine that you are an assist now at MM. I also heard Tom was going to coach Cal Stars next year. So with thathe said are you all connected now?? Because I was wounding you are defending some people so much????

I am an assistant at Miramonte this year, but my involvement with Cal Stars is minimal. (Going off to a tournament every weekend and practicing two nights a week does not make my wife happy.)

As far as I know, Tom is not coaching with CalStars, but I'm not up to speed on that. I can tell you who's coaching at Miramonte, though ...

Lots of teams get raw deals -- Miramonte probably the worst over the years, having had to battle O'Dowd when O'Dowd would have been Open but there was no Open, and then going Open last year.

That was an odd seeding with Brookside having the head-to-head over Pinewood, but both teams were eliminated by Miramonte by 40 points or more, so I don't know that it made that much difference.

But sadly, there's no perfect system, and with every section doing bracketing and divisions differently, it's a zoo -- and sometimes you get to be king of the jungle, and other times you're food for the lions.

MM got the biggest raw deal Ionescu's freshman year when they got whooped by O'Dowd in the D3 final and still had to go OPEN. That probably should have been Sopaks state championship year.
The other years they were definitely worthy of the OPEN.

As far as BC..I agree they should not have been OPEN last year. BUT they SHOULD have been OPEN the year before with BC being put in the OPEN ahead of SMB that year.
BC made it to the state final 2 yrs. ago....so it evened out IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT