ADVERTISEMENT

WOW WOW ST MARY'S WHAT IS THIS ABOUT ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW

RespectBBGame

Sports Fanatic
Mar 16, 2015
Please read this and give your taught about this post from a high school coach that coaches a lot of girls .

Last edited:
He coaches a lot of minority girls. This is wrong on many levels, but since his program is what it is, he routinely gets a pass. From some of those posts on Twitter retweeting of a Confederate flag, to calling girls from a predominantly Black girls basketball team in a neighboring city "ghetto idiots" something is clearly wrong with this guy.

And to think they host an MLK event, but you're doing stuff like this...shameful!!

Sorry ... I don't get this at all. Who's Colin? What are we talking about?

I like what your saying how do you hold a tournament call the MLK and your have a no say on the Confederate Flag. Doctor Martian Luther King stand for the told opposite this flag. As a school representing a special day to many minority you have something to say about the flag. It just not another cloth. This Flag represents racism.

So you're saying Tom is OK with displaying the Confederate flag? Who's Colin?

Clay--- Colin is Colin Kampernick a QB for the 49ers who has sat and now kneels for the Stars Spangled Banner during the pregame as a protest against inequality in this country.

It was someone named Brian Cardoza who included the Confederate flag in his twitter response. I am not sure what he could have thought the connection could be in respect to Gonzalvas's post or even to Colins protest.. Of course Respect the Game puts the two separate tweets together to create an implication that Gonzalvas has something to do with the Confederate flag. I suppose since he recently lost the means to create disruption internally , he now again needs to resort to the tactics he used two seasons ago and attempt to create problems via forums. His hatred and continuing crusade against Gonzalves has to be apparent.

Respect the Game- I know who you are- you don't fool me. If I see you at any games I will be sure to introduce my self so you know who I am as well.

OK ... so somehow Colin Kaepernick and the Confederate flag are connected?

So Tom doesn't like Kaepernick's choice of protest. He's not alone in that, black or white. I don't see why Tom, like Kaepernick, can't have an opinion about how to protest. (For what it's worth, I'm fine with Colin ...)

But I'm still not seeing the Confederate flag connection.

Tom retweeted Brian Cardoza's tweet. I know this because I saw it, took a picture of it, then retweeted from my phone. Its pretty insensitive if you ask me, especially coming from a coach of a prominent program that has many Black players on the team.

After researching a little bit, Brian Cardoza is one of Tom's followers who tweeted that flag to Team Fort Worth in response to her tweets directly to Tom about Kap and the American flag. She is a Black Woman. Tom retweeted the Brian Cardoza post, which is what you see there. Wrong on many levels!!

So I'm just going to chime in, only because I saw first hand what transpired on Twitter the other night. All this other stuff is second hand.
On Monday night, Tom and several other people exchanged Twitter posts which in my eyes was rather disturbing. The Twitter exchange which started with Tom's initial tweet about Colin Kaepernick, was a very heated racial debate. Some things were said and referenced, which I felt were very insensitive to people of color, very offensive.
Sometime during or after the Twitter exchange, Tom retweeted the post with the confederate flag. I was not aware of this until I received a text from an acquaintance this morning asking me if I had seen it. I went to Tom's Twitter page and there it was. He had indeed retweeted the post someone else posted, which in my opinion is basically expressing you agree with it's content.

Last edited:
My brain is clearly not functioning. So Brian Cardoza tweets a Confederate flag on a thread about Kaepernick, presumably meaning ... what exactly? Slavery should come back? The Confederate flag should be raised in protest?

Or Cardoza was using the Confederate flag as a surrogate for something more racist?

Since I'm an old white guy, I'm not claiming people shouldn't be upset. If it's disturbing to a young black woman, then that's significant. I just feel like I got in on the middle of a conversation and got lost in the crossfire.

I don't see the connection either Clay. There was A LOT of tweets in between the Colin tweet and the confederate flag retweet. I can't tell you what anyone's motives are for posting something, but it seemed like after the exchange of tweets, the confederate flag retweet was done to make a statement.
I will say this, my kid saw the post and as a parent, it is bothersome to me for my kid to be subjected to that.

Last edited:
His twitter Friend/Follower came to his defense in response to a Black Woman making a statement directly to Tom regarding the American flag. His friends response was basically asking how do you feel about this flag (the confederate one) since its just a cloth. Tom retweet his response.

Clay, not sure if you're aware the dixie confederate flag is a symbol of oppression and racism, dating back to this country's days of slavery. To be frank I don't know any Black person who likes the sight or mention of that got damn flag. TOM RETWEETED his friends tweet of that flag. That is a problem.

Willtalk
It wasn't to different post it on Tom page if you really want to know. When I was talking about Smith I seen she left and went to Salesian. Clayton became the star and most high recruit SMS last year going to CAL after have big name colleges want her. So what did say that wasn't true ????

All I did was put the URL up from Tom page. The think I don't is the Confederate Flag that was used in slavery days where Africans was used for food and services. The flag is not a cloth it's a symbol of hatred toward minorities. But a school has a tournament name MLK after a man that campaigned against meaning of the Confederate flag.

Honestly Clay, I feel like it being disturbing to a young Black woman is very minute. The fact it's not disturbing and bothersome to the mass is the real problem here.

Last edited:
Funny...willtalk more concerned about someone having a hidden agenda or axe to grind with Tom, rather than condemning him for his insensitive comments and misguided retweet...or are you Tom?

Instead of defending him, yall need to be getting that dude some counseling or cultural sensitivity training, because none of this is funny. Its very disturbing. I was disturbed by the ghetto idiots comment last year, but that was swept under the rug and shook off as "Tom being crazy" instead of checking him on it and calling him out for his bigoted comments. Its on par with Don Imus' insensitive remarks about the Rutgers womens team years ago. Aint so funny anymore, is it?

I certainly understand the cultural significance of the Confederate flag and what it symbolizes. It is clearly a "piece of cloth" that would offend African-Americans, and justifiably so.

From a purely logical standpoint, comparing those who are upset with Kaepernick to those who are offended by the Confederate flag makes some sense, but those involved with basketball, a heavily black sport, should be very sensitive to its use, and the potential reaction of African-Americans.

Clay
Like you said African-American players parents and coaches are a very big part in basketball. Some parents might not want the child to pkay in a tournament that's name after a freedom rights speaker and writer if the coach don't respect MLK day. I read a quote on Facebook about this early this morning that why I have a lot questions about the integrity of a coach. He said "If daughter was playing for a coach like that I would pull her off the team. He also said that the coach knows what he needs to win !!!! That's why I the post to tell the people what this coach been getting away with it for years!!!!!!! People needed to know what they are deal with. It's not only on Norcalprep it's on Facebook with 7898 views and counting and Instagram exposing even more. Not just me posting and a lot parents are very mad in the basketball world that we know as high school. So parents might not let their kids play in the showcase just on principal. I know it's bring heard all over States. This won't be a subject that you can hide underneath the rug like all the other times!!!!!

Clay
Like you said African-American players parents and coaches are a very big part in basketball. Some parents might not want the child to pkay in a tournament that's name after a freedom rights speaker and writer if the coach don't respect MLK day. I read a quote on Facebook about this early this morning that why I have a lot questions about the integrity of a coach. He said "If daughter was playing for a coach like that I would pull her off the team. He also said that the coach knows what he needs to win !!!! That's why I the post to tell the people what this coach been getting away with it for years!!!!!!! People needed to know what they are deal with. It's not only on Norcalprep it's on Facebook with 7898 views and counting and Instagram exposing even more. Not just me posting and a lot parents are very mad in the basketball world that we know as high school. So parents might not let their kids play in the showcase just on principal. I know it's bring heard all over States. This won't be a subject that you can hide underneath the rug like all the other times!!!!!

Clay

What same people? Please clarify that one. Whats the defense for him on this? Explain. The best you can do is here we go again, thats funny, I'm over here thinking the same thing, only about him.

I know this, I'm definitely not the only person upset about this one, but go ahead make an excuse. He wins, right? Top 10 yearly in the country so that gives him a pass. Allows him to speak to whomever in any way that he seems fit. He's stubborn, rigid...crazy...him being him (I aint saying his name no more he doesn't deserve acknowledgement) Thats the one most used.

How about the we toss around some truths, facts so to speak from his own statements. He had a very colorful opinion about Kaepernick and his peaceful protest and thinks you can only speak out if you're respected. How about calling a team full of young Black girls "ghetto idiots" and following it up by saying you're entitled to your opinion and not even attempting to apologize for it. That one burns me up to this day, those girls have never done anything to that dude. He retweets a confederate battle flag, and yall are cool with that??? How is that ok? How is he not held accountable for those actions. We've seen higher profile coaches fired for much less than that. I'm sorry but he needs to be held accountable for that. Thats way unacceptable. Anywhere else that doesn't fly, why should he be the exception.

But alot of yall are cool with that because his teams win. I call Bull$**t!! How about he harbors hateful views toward Blacks, but keeps it veiled for the sake of attracting that same group of people that he really doesn't care for but they win games for him and make him look good. That aint a coach, thats an overseer! Yall better wake the hell up to that dude. Hold him accountable. Or are yall scared??

OK let me get this right, the most successful coach in the history of girls basketball in the state of California doesn't agree with a peofessional football player on what Tom feels is disrespectful to the American flag [ Toms father n law was shot in the Korean War},So the player made a statement and now Tom makes his statement. Better yet, a person tweets that the flag is just apiece of cloth, whats the FUSS. .So this guy Bryan who happens to be Toms cousin, tweets the confederate flag, Tom retweets making a statement that , no, the FLAG is more than a piece of cloth, NO FUSS is BS.Then this Respect guy and another person who also has a beef with Tom because her daughter transferred from SMS.So its ok for one person to have an opinion, football player, but its not ok for the coach to disagree with the forum which Colin was using to address issues. But, Tom also tweeted very early that he commended Lebron, Chris, Carmelo, and Dwayne the classy way they communicated their issues. Now racism you have got to be kidding me. Boy , what would Toms assistant coach for the last 29 years, also Tom coached both of his sons, who by the way is BLACK would think of those accusations. Every year its something different. Oh, by the way one of Toms very best friends from high school is black.Good try Michelle.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
So since he mentioned 4 Black players, that makes it ok? Wow, really, Michele, you serious? Michele your PR person? She hack your account and post those tweets? Thats funny!! This aint Michele, but wow, deflection instead of accountability. I'm my own man, bruh, but damn youre sad!!

And there goes the stereotypical response "my best friend is Black, I can't be racist!!" Nice try.

Last edited:
Let it go Tom. Just let it go.......
I have no beef with you Tom, none whatsoever.

The responses are from what Tom tweeted. Used poor taste and judgment, not my bad, its his, he tweeted it. And his cousin's response was a taunt to a Black Woman, thats cool??

Of all things to retweet a confederate flag, and you host a so-called MLK event. Do you not realize how offensive and disrespectful that is? Its just wrong. That flag inspires hatred, is a reminder of oppression and slavery, and you're gonna defend that? It doesn't get much more offensive than that dreadful flag, but thats what he likes to tweet. And it was a taunt to a Black Woman no less!!!

Don't go blaming anyone, HE DID THAT, not me or anyone else, HIM!!! Take ownership and accountability for it, not make an excuse. Shameful man, all the way shameful!!

Passionatedad
I just state the fact and you don't like. Won't sweep this under the rug. Check facebook out there is a lot people have issues with this and some are coaches at the next level. So have fun trying to down playing this one. Especially with all that going on in the country right now. That's like Donald Trump try to retract something he already said to get voters back. What is done lived with the repercussions of actions that will follow the act.

Passionatedad, if you're a friend or a parent of a player, how do you justify to your kids who are of color, to turn a cheek and act as if he didn't post/say that? What does that teach them? To just settle and accept because they're in a winning situation? Is that cool?

kbrizzle

I think the problem with most people today that give other people a pass just because the are winning and offer a platform girls basketball to receive a scholarship. They are willing to give their morals up to win and receive scholarship. This reminds me of the Jordan foul rule when he play a foul is not a foul when he foul. What are teach these students these days? Its ok to be wrong as long as I'm benefit from the wrong. I understand people have the own opinion on things and this is mine.

To African American the confederate flag represents racism especially when it is being saluted in parts of the county such as the west coast, mid west and east coast, places where it is not a part of a so called tradition or a culture. Anytime I see the confederate flag it instantly brings on anger and if white Americans OR any American cannot understand that than they are either racist or ignorant and it is pointless to try to explain it to them.

I agree Azanna. Just as the swastika is to the Jewish community. I wonder if it would be downplayed if the retweet was of a swastika, with a comment that read, "It's just a symbol."

Last edited:
Your're hearing what you want to hear, so here we go again.The only reason the Confederate Flag was brought up was Because Cynthia Guillory who happens to african american tweeted that the American Flag is just a piece of cloth so what is the fuss. Bryan tweeted a picture of the Confederate Flag basically asking is this too just a piece of cloth and whats the fuss. Just a piece of cloth? Whats the fuss? So Tom retweeted because he feels neither is just a piece of cloth. Tom's father-n-law was shot in the Korean War so this is a very sensitive subject. Now some of you are trying to make it to be something its not.Not surprising so because you all see an opportunity to try to make him look bad.

Passionatedad, or Tom, whatever you prefer, this is laughable. You just don't get it, do you? You really should stop while you're behind, don't you think? Being in the position in which you're in, as you stated, the winningest coach in state history, you should've just taken the high road and moved along. You've blurred the lines of someone not respecting the American flag as a cloth vs. a racist symbol. Regardless of what you think, they are not at all the same.

I'm curious as to when you're going to comprehend that you're getting backlash because of your actions in the social media space. Instead of taking accountability for it, you continue to try to justify your actions. You're hanging on to the ridiculous notion of people out to get you. You're a cold piece of work, especially calling yourself the winningest girls coach in state history, your Black friends, etc. Kill it with the third person act. None of this shields you from the bigoted action you undertook. You may be too smug or aloof to understand it, but that is the reality. Own it! Apologize and move on. Stop making excuses.

For the record, a coach in Colorado who had 48 years and multiple state championships was fired for telling a kid "you're white, so you'll never be able to dunk". May seem petty but its the times we're living in. And here you are defending your post of a blatantly racist symbol, instead of just saying you were wrong. Sad!

Poor dude, you really just don't get it.

Honestly, it's really not about you Tom. It could be anyone. I would still have the same exact feelings.
The fact remains, if the racially insensitive remarks were not made and the confederate flag post was not retweeted on Twitter, there would be no need for commentary.
This should be a lesson for us ALL. Be careful what you post on social media. And be ready for the back lash you might receive and/or the consequences of your actions.
Perception is EVERYTHING!

So Tom re-tweeted a confederate flag and according so some of you that is inexcusable. Well did it ever occur to you that Respect the Game posted a tweet with the confederate flag on this site? Why is that also not as offensive?

Let me clue you in--- It's all about intent and context. Trying to connect Gonzalves or even the original tweeter via leaving out content we can not get the context or intent of those tweets or the reason for posting of the flag. Using the same criteria I could say that Respect the Game posted a confederate flag and that makes him a racist. And those that defend him are the same via association.

The lack of logic expressed in some of the posts in respect to this thread makes me very suspicious of other things that are claimed by these posters to have happened.

The issue of symbols and their respective meanings to different people can be a problem. We all have different perspectives of what they mean to us. Their meanings might even change over time. What is evident is that no one has the right to make a unilateral decision on the meanings of either symbols and words. That does nothing but create confusion and miscommunication. Unfortunately this is what has been happening in our society for the last fifty years. It is a divisive tool in turning use against ourselves for the benefit of those whose agenda is to gain control via the destruction of commonality.

In respect to Kap------I have once I hit my teens always believed in equality. That to me means holding everyone to the same standards. It especially means holding oneself to the standards we expect of others. For me I have always tried to hold myself to a higher standard. While I believe Kap to have good intentions and that he is basically a decent person, he lacks the maturity to really understand what he is doing. There is so much hypocrisy in respect to the standards he sets for others as opposed to living by the same standards. He was ruthlessly attacked by people who used the way he dressed to label him a thug. To them his clothes were a symbol of "Thug life". He was pilloried by the press and media and found guilty before all the facts in the case in respect to the incident in Miami came out. People jumped to a conclusion based on the negative " Image" based on their own blanket social bigotry. Yet his reactions are reflective of the same type of bigotry. Jumping to conclusions based on minimal information and using the flag as a symbol of a negative image. Is disrespecting the flag any different to those that see it as a symbol of the principles upon which our country was founded, than being disrespectful to the feelings of a smaller number of people who consider certain words or symbols offensive.?

Reactions: bulldogmgc
kbrizzzel- Passionate Dad is not Tom. There are many logical reason why this is so. I could just as well say you are Respect the Game. Perhaps you are saying I am Tom.

kross22- Now I might understand kbrizzel saying Passionate Dad is Tom, but you have no excuse. You know who I am. I have told you many times face to face who I am.

To be honest, I don't care who is who. More concerned about the facts as I've seen them over the past couple of days.

Fact: The head coach of a prominent girls high school basketball program whose team is comprised of several young Black female teenagers re-posted/retweeted a racist symbol that was meant as an offensive rebuke from his relative to an African American woman who tweeted. The retweet has been acknowledged as a response to her stating that the American flag is a piece of cloth, as he was getting back at her.

The intent behind the re-tweet was malicious which puts it in the same category as hate. End of discussion. And this is laughable:

"While I believe Kap to have good intentions and that he is basically a decent person, he lacks the maturity to really understand what he is doing."

So only a chosen few can take a stand, which by the way is a very peaceful protest. You're standing by that? Willtalk, you're showing that Tom aint the only who needs educating in cultural sensitivity. This aint the 60s no more, you do understand that right? Good luck, all of you are gonna need it.

Last edited:
Willtalk,

I know exactly who you are, which is why I am surprised that you are coming at me like you are. But let's not make this personal cause this is not about you. And let me remind you, I am indeed a woman, with a husband, so one may want to address me as such.
And I have always thought Passionatedad was Tom. He knows this. He has said certain things on here before which I feel only Tom would know, and would post.
Will, if you'd wish to discuss further, you know how to reach me. I have no problem talking to you in detail about my stance on the matter, as I have made it clear, my feelings would be the same no matter who it involved.

Instead of focusing on this snipet (original post, that includes a cut/paste to make it look like it was one post from Tom), just like the leftist media likes to do, why not digest the entire picture. Here is the link to Tom's twitter account:

https://twitter.com/tomgonsalves_s

Please go read all of the tweets and then truly ask yourself if Tom is being a racist. Please be more objective, instead immediate hanging him on a tree. Why not post the parts of his twitter account where he commended Lebron, Chris, Carmelo, and Dwayne the classy way they communicated their issues? I am with Passionatedad on this issue. This thread is nothing but a hate intent bashing of Tom. This kind of attack is a path to create more division than unity. Why not read Brian Cardoza's most recent tweet on Tom's twitter account:

CsZ884VUMAAXRD9.jpg

My opinion (and that is all it is ... an opinion) on path Colin and Tom have taken ...

I personally believe Colin has the freedom to do what he wants, just like the rest of us, just like Tom. But, he is using the wrong forum, the American flag - just like posting the confederate flag can also trigger people to be upset. Colin is protesting ALL of America in doing so, saying that ALL of America is oppressing black people. Here is a bit of sarcasm ... yep, that is why he is so oppressed, making millions of $'s. I guess ALL of America is oppressing black people because we have a black (ok, 1/2 black) president. Now, don't have a hissy fit trying to guess what race I am ... hint: I am a MUTT! I am an American!

If it is the police force in certain cities that he and many feel are oppressing black people, then target those specific precincts. Now, he has the local Santa Clara police force upset at him. Yet, they are the same people who protect him and escort him to come/go to/from the games at Levi's stadium. Targeting ALL of America, and the American flag, is not the correct path in Tom's opinion and many people's opinion. All it is doing is creating more division. We need to unite! BTW, I at least, prefer he is taking a knee now, instead of sitting.

Again, most people are not opposed to Colin taking a stance. They are just opposed to the avenue/forum he is choosing. In any case, it sure is getting a lot of attention, whether or not Colin Kaepernick is a respected player on/off the field. But, is it working? Like Colin, Tom has the freedom to express himself in a peaceful manner sharing his opinion. I think Tom is also saying that Colin's stance might get more respect, if Colin was respected as a "good" player on the field. Sitting on the bench and then speaking sometimes does not ring as loud if you were a starter and successful in your profession. In some circles (not my opinion but others), it creates a perception he is pulling the race card because he is not playing and deflecting/expanding it (indirectly) towards the police violence against black people in "parts" of our country (without all of the facts - to some people). Personally, as a SF 49ers fan, it does not bother me. I will either cheer or boo Colin for his performance on the field, not his political activity. Personally, I am sick of all this political crap that is going on. Why can't we just all get along. Instead, we have a country more divided now than in most recent years. But, interestingly, this action Colin is taking is getting the attention Colin is seeking - just not all good. And, is it working?

However, turning something into a negative blasting of someone by reading into select tweets to attack Tom of "racism" is simply wrong, in my opinion. But, you are all allowed your opinion, too, whether it be different. Just hoping there will not be any more riots, stomping of cars, or looting of local stores, like we have witnessed across the country. But, I do credit Colin for taking a stance, just not the path he is taking, either. Let's hope there is a stop to killing of black people by cops or "any" people. Even if a person commits a crime, I too, am not happy people are being killed. There has to be a better way to apply the law without killing. Let's please have peace. At least Colin is attempting to protest in a peaceful manner, even though some or many people believe it is simply the wrong forum/symbol to use. But, again, it is doing its job to get people's attention. Just not sure it is as positive the attention needed to make a difference. However, like the media, instead this is painting a picture to further divide our country rather than unite it. I just prefer we take a path of unity, versus division. Recommend listening to Ben Carson, even though he is no longer a candidate for POTUS. He is more in the middle. He is for America!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT