ADVERTISEMENT

Yani ...the ACCAC Player of the Year...Good job AC

becoolpt55

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2017
San Jose
Big game tonight her team Central Arizona plays Eastern Arizona in the ACCAC Semi finals

D0sChg7UYAAE1a-.jpg

Is her classroom work on par with her hoops achievements? One hopes.

Might not be a bad idea for her to turn pro and go overseas. The classroom isn't for everybody. I'm sure she can play overseas and make some money somewhere for a few years while developing.

Reactions: Paytc
Might not be a bad idea for her to turn pro and go overseas. The classroom isn't for everybody. I'm sure she can play overseas and make some money somewhere for a few years while developing.

Here is the issue with that: what market appeal does she have? The overseas leagues take the known WNBA and college stars to improve their teams and bring marketability. At this point, Clark offers none of that. She has only consistently proven herself to be an exceptional HS player. While her JC numbers are impressive, it's at a JC. She hasn't proven that she can handle playing against high level college or professional players, let alone handle the discipline and issues that would come with playing in a different country. Plus, a lot of the overseas leagues are limited on the amount of american players that they can have on their rosters. Why would a foreign team risk spending money and losing a valuable roster spot on an unproven commodity?

Clark needs to finish college, if for no other reason than to get time to fully mature.

Here is the issue with that: what market appeal does she have? The overseas leagues take the known WNBA and college stars to improve their teams and bring marketability. At this point, Clark offers none of that. She has only consistently proven herself to be an exceptional HS player. While her JC numbers are impressive, it's at a JC. She hasn't proven that she can handle playing against high level college or professional players, let alone handle the discipline and issues that would come with playing in a different country. Plus, a lot of the overseas leagues are limited on the amount of american players that they can have on their rosters. Why would a foreign team risk spending money and losing a valuable roster spot on an unproven commodity?

Clark needs to finish college, if for no other reason than to get time to fully mature.

I don't agree. She was a McDonald's All American and now adds a player of the year award to her list of achievements. Her being a MDAM is equivalent to being one of the best high school players in a country. That speaks volumes. She might have to start on a lower level and work her way up but there is a place for her. There are so many leagues and divisions overseas many of which don't have the luxury of having any WNBA players. Yes, it's a farm system and would be similar to the G League experience or baseball farm system but there is a place and division for her to play. Obviously the playing part isn't the issue. She can play with the best of them. Unless you've heard of any off the court issues which I haven't I don't think the discipline part is the issue either.

Women's basketball allows you to leave after your junior year right? Why not go overseas try out for a high level team? Worst case scenario if she doesn't make it she gets placed on a lower level team and can still develop. Yes, most teams can only carry 2 Americans on a roster but guess what? If you don't preform they send you home and fly another American in to take your place. It's a risk either way for them. I've also known players to pay their own way over there and try out for a team. If you make it great if you don't the team doesn't lose anything.

Who are we to say what she "needs" to do? Yes it would be ideal but what's ideal for you and I might not be ideal for her. Can she not mature overseas? College doesn't necessarily help kids mature. IMO experience is life's best teacher. Obviously she's struggled in school which might stem from bigger issues that what we know. At this point she should be almost 21 and this is a viable option for her. She can still go to school overseas and take classes at the university there or online with universities here.

I don't agree. She was a McDonald's All American and now adds a player of the year award to her list of achievements. Her being a MDAM is equivalent to being one of the best high school players in a country. That speaks volumes. She might have to start on a lower level and work her way up but there is a place for her. There are so many leagues and divisions overseas many of which don't have the luxury of having any WNBA players. Yes, it's a farm system and would be similar to the G League experience or baseball farm system but there is a place and division for her to play. Obviously the playing part isn't the issue. She can play with the best of them. Unless you've heard of any off the court issues which I haven't I don't think the discipline part is the issue either.

Women's basketball allows you to leave after your junior year right? Why not go overseas try out for a high level team? Worst case scenario if she doesn't make it she gets placed on a lower level team and can still develop. Yes, most teams can only carry 2 Americans on a roster but guess what? If you don't preform they send you home and fly another American in to take your place. It's a risk either way for them. I've also known players to pay their own way over there and try out for a team. If you make it great if you don't the team doesn't lose anything.

Who are we to say what she "needs" to do? Yes it would be ideal but what's ideal for you and I might not be ideal for her. Can she not mature overseas? College doesn't necessarily help kids mature. IMO experience is life's best teacher. Obviously she's struggled in school which might stem from bigger issues that what we know. At this point she should be almost 21 and this is a viable option for her. She can still go to school overseas and take classes at the university there or online with universities here.

First of there is absolutely no question she has on court talent that be utilized by some professional team. The main concern is for Yanni as a person. As has been documented on this board in the past she has had numerous challenges in school and been somewhat just "pushed" through the system. I sinscerely hope she is getting the proper guidance and support that will carry her on beyond these years she plays basketball. Lets not lose sight of whats truly important for her longterm well being.

First of there is absolutely no question she has on court talent that be utilized by some professional team. The main concern is for Yanni as a person. As has been documented on this board in the past she has had numerous challenges in school and been somewhat just "pushed" through the system. I sinscerely hope she is getting the proper guidance and support that will carry her on beyond these years she plays basketball. Lets not lose sight of whats truly important for her longterm well being.

I hear you. I can't really speculate on what's been documented on this board with out knowing who really knows her situation and who doesn't. Everybody learns differently and some people have more severe obstacles learning than others. In some instances schools don't often offer that type of support unless it's a place that specializes in what ever she needs. At this point she can't be forced to do anything she doesn't want to do. However, if moving on to the next level after JC for her means playing overseas until she figures it out I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT