ADVERTISEMENT

You Go Coach Bergman!

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
Sorry folks, I was trying to post a couple of tweets from Monte Vista coach Bergman slamming Cal Berkeley's unwillingness to recruit local football players

Last edited:
Reactions: mshNASTY
In one tweet he says "I guess Sonny Dykes doesn't think much of Bay Area football, no recruits taken from Bay Area. Horrible message to send to future recruits".

In another he tweets "Congrats to N Landman for his WSU offer and to Erik K on UCLA. Strange that Cal hasn't even stopped in. They must be loaded with talent".

Good for him. One would think the local schools would search local talent first and branch out from there.

At the end of the day kids are either D1 caliber players or they aren't. With that said I think a high school coach can help or hinder a kid's recruitment and it sounds like Coach Bergman is one that wants to help his players.

Reactions: concrete17
Bishop O'Dowd's Je'Quari Godfrey recently committed to Cal -- there's at least one!

It seems most local players that actually get offers from Cal are guys that get much bigger offers. Cases in point right off the top of my head are class of 2015 Isaiah Langley, Matt Snyder and Dru Samia. The year before that was Mixon.

At the end of the day kids are either D1 caliber players or they aren't. With that said I think a high school coach can help or hinder a kid's recruitment and it sounds like Coach Bergman is one that wants to help his players.

This is true. But there are different levels of D1 if you will. Like SC, Bama,etc, then N. Arizona, Poly, Sac, etc. then of course there is always D2 that offers scholorships that most coaches seem to completely ignore. Coaches need to do a better job getting their kids out there and exposed to all levels it should be about moving on and getting a education. Kids and families also play a huge part but is seems most coaches do little to get kids recruited.

This is true. But there are different levels of D1 if you will. Like SC, Bama,etc, then N. Arizona, Poly, Sac, etc. then of course there is always D2 that offers scholorships that most coaches seem to completely ignore. Coaches need to do a better job getting their kids out there and exposed to all levels it should be about moving on and getting a education. Kids and families also play a huge part but is seems most coaches do little to get kids recruited.

When it comes to D1 there are levels within levels. Teams like Alabama, USC, Clemson, etc......are the cream of the crop. Teams like Toledo, Marshall, Fresno State, etc.....are also D1 but a far cry from the SEC. All FBS D1 programs are required to dole out 85 full ride scholarships. Then there are the Big Sky Conference FCS D1AA teams like Eastern Washington, Montana, Montana State, Cal Poly, Davis, Sac State, etc.......that can award up to 63 full scholarships either as full or partial scholarships. Then there's the Pioneer Conference that the University of San Diego belongs to that are technically D1AA but offer no athletic scholarships. They typically have a hard time competing with the likes of a Northern Arizona, just like UNLV has a hard time competing with say a Nebraska.

Busts: Tagaloa, McKinley. Damariay blew it, but atoned. Freddie was especially disappointing as he bailed on the 1-11 Bears, while Goff swallowed the medicine all the way to #1. Bergman knows the gig as a former long term AD at MV. He's had guys like McAlister (USC) and Nottingham (Stanfurd.) It's highly unlikely he'd take a jab unless there was some truth behind it.
Projectability is so overrated. If a player has one of the three gifts (DNA size, wheels, smarts) he gets his foot in the door. Everything else is simple: coaching + hard work (Goff.) Have one and not the other those stars do you no good. Perfect example is going into the Cal HOF. Bad knees before he arrived, Jerrott Willard was not a listed 6'1" but maybe 5'11". Outworked and outsmarted those with more gifts.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Wasn't Dykes handed an Oscar when Goff decided to stay after Tedford was fired? Correct me if I'm wrong but Goff was a Tedford recruit. In orther words what the hell has dykes done? He's not even .500 as a head coach.

Wasn't Dykes handed an Oscar when Goff decided to stay after Tedford was fired? Correct me if I'm wrong but Goff was a Tedford recruit. In orther words what the hell has dykes done? He's not even .500 as a head coach.

I agree that Dykes has done little at Cal. I'm not sure about Goff's "decision" to stay at Cal. Transferring colleges without consequence is not a simple matter, ask Tagaloa.

Goff was not polished as a frosh (1-11) and had considerable competition from Hinder, Bridgeford and Boehm and especially Kline who had entered in Spring a full year to redshirt before Goff entered early. Goff would've never left Cal being that Jerry played there. Kline and Goff were raised on spread O, thus, some gaudy stats like the Folsom guys get. Dykes gave them early reps from that. I've seen what new coaches can do to a roster at D1. The first year is not so bad as keeping the seniors around gets team buy-in with those leaders, and more realistically, new HC did not perform the season-end player meeting. Year two can be a bloodbath chopping block. The NCAA power-5 rule (Fall 2015, effective for students enrolling for 15-16) giving out 4 year guaranteed schollies was NOT in effect when Dykes was hired. You can bet the Power 5 recruiters are now vetting their frosh (especially) and transfers as that money will now be tied up until graduation or violation of specific school rules.

Goff was not polished as a frosh (1-11) and had considerable competition from Hinder, Bridgeford and Boehm and especially Kline who had entered in Spring a full year to redshirt before Goff entered early. Goff would've never left Cal being that Jerry played there. Kline and Goff were raised on spread O, thus, some gaudy stats like the Folsom guys get. Dykes gave them early reps from that. I've seen what new coaches can do to a roster at D1. The first year is not so bad as keeping the seniors around gets team buy-in with those leaders, and more realistically, new HC did not perform the season-end player meeting. Year two can be a bloodbath chopping block. The NCAA power-5 rule (Fall 2015, effective for students enrolling for 15-16) giving out 4 year guaranteed schollies was NOT in effect when Dykes was hired. You can bet the Power 5 recruiters are now vetting their frosh (especially) and transfers as that money will now be tied up until graduation or violation of specific school rules.
Not polished? He started as a true freshman on a crappy team in the PAC-12 and broke Rogers passing record his first year. Agree with him staying at Cal having a legacy there. Interesting new Power-5 rule, wow.

Maybe not the right word...big Goff fan as an Old Blue. As far as passing records, Rodgers was under center a ton compared to Goff being in the gun 99% of the time. I wonder how he'll do translating that to Sundays.

1315- I'm thinking Rogers would own many records. He's as good as the game has seen and is a lock for HOF. But GOFF is the real deal and I think he's going to be a very good NFL QB.

I'm noticing Monte Vista has three guys with their recruitments blowing up. Nate Landman, Erik Krommenhoek and Jake Haener all have multiple D1 offers. When was the last time any Nor Cal team not named DLS had that many D1 recruits in one graduating class?

Last edited:
RR- that's true unless you're Philly at what, 85%! Yet, since Gun formations went over 50% several years ago, the DCs are adapting and the gap between gun and under formations success is slowly diminishing. Ten years ago, yes, the teams that employed gun saw 15% increase in ave. yds/p. There is a difference though in being able to quickly go through your progressions when under, while in gun there's a time luxury.

Don't forget Antioch, they have three kids with offers - obviously Harris, but also Freytes and Dunn. Plus, a huge recruit in Omari Harris for 2018.

I'm noticing Monte Vista has three guys with their recruitments blowing up. Nate Landman, Erik Krommenhoek and Jake Haener all have multiple D1 offers. When was the last time any Nor Cal team not named DLS had that many D1 recruits in one graduating class?

Folsom two years ago and McClymonds under Alonzo Carter are two loaded non-DLS teams that come to mind. Those two might have the best number of D1 prospects period over the last 10-15 years.

Grant also had a real good year with Moala, Lopa, Sample and Paulo on defense

Folsom two years ago and McClymonds under Alonzo Carter are two loaded non-DLS teams that come to mind. Those two might have the best number of D1 prospects period over the last 10-15 years.

Grant also had a real good year with Moala, Lopa, Sample and Paulo on defense

All good examples Streak. Being an EBAL fan it's been a long time since a team in that league has produced three or more from one graduating class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT