ADVERTISEMENT

You tell me guys!!!

farmair3

Sports Fanatic
Nov 25, 2012
. This is a TD pass that was thrown by Sutter last night that would have given Sutter a 6 point lead late in the 4th quarter. I respect all of your opinions in this hence I am posting it. It is a double pass to the slot receiver. The QB throws the ball from the 14 yard line, the receiver catches it on the 16 and throws the ball into the end zone for what appears to be a TD. Watch the line judge and the back judge closely on this play. Mainly the line judge. This is a travesty that this official put th

I think Its fine, wr never passed the line of scrimmage and the inital throw was backwards, therfore there was not two forward passes.

Perfectly fine play for the score. No lineman down field when the first passer threw the ball from behind the LOS. Sutter got screwed!!

That line judge, how and when he threw that flag is just so suspect. It was a great hard fought game. Sierra was a worthy opponent but your kids can not beat crazy calls like that. I would have rather our guy drop it or something than to execute the play and have it called back in that manner. Good luck to all NorCal teams this weekend. Oh and they were from the NCS. Maybe someone on here has seen them before.

Perfectly legal first pass was a lateral second pass was forward. Terrible call hope it was the difference in game.

Legal pass. QB to receiver a lateral - not a forward pass. receiver moves forward after catching and then back and never crosses line of scrimmage. Then passes to receiver in end zone for TD. No off-sides and line was blocking. Looks like perfectly executed play. Only thing I could see maybe confusing ref is when lateral catcher rn forward and maybe ref got confused and thought was caught in front of QB, but it was clearly a well executed play and should have been a TD. Unfortunately, no review in HS football, but the penalty would have been overturned. That is a bad call and should have put Sutter up in the game.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
From the look of the play to me I would guess all of the movement, ie the reciever goin forward then back, a pulling guard and the right tackle moving outward almost like a reach block just goofed the line judge up and as we all know, especially us up in the ns high school refs dont admit alot of error such as waving the flag off.

Play appears fully legal. Having said that I can see the human error factor in the WR catching the ball running a step or 2 forward and then retreating and passing the ball with the "human error" factor pertaining to the offical not able to note each step taken front & backwards. The official goofed, "plane & simpal" as they say. Without instant replay & review this is what occurs.

Did you guys inform the crew that you might run some trick plays and what they were? Not that that would help if the fix was in.

Yeah that's too bad as it sure appeared to be a legal play. The line judge was right there looking straight down the line so he should have known the receiver never crossed the LOS. What was the actual call, or did they bother to explain it?

But did they explain why it was illegal? Over the LOS? 2 fwd passes? Initial receiver stepping forward before throwing? Ref just didn't understand what happened so flag thrown? The fix was in ?

It would be nice to know what the exact call was, but the consensus seems to be clear that the film shows it was a legal play.

But did they explain why it was illegal? Over the LOS? 2 fwd passes? Initial receiver stepping forward before throwing? Ref just didn't understand what happened so flag thrown? The fix was in ?

It would be nice to know what the exact call was, but the consensus seems to be clear that the film shows it was a legal play.
Do they ever explain why it was illegal when they're totally wrong in the first place??? I'll sit that right there.;)

Reactions: FAR_NORTHERN
Exactly! It really is a bummer especially the timing and it being a score but thats just totally a reality of HS football. I personally would find it hard to believe there was any sort of collusion.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
The only reason I mentioned the possibility of the fix being in was a prior poster stating it in gest. I certainly would not even consider that to be an actual possibility, especially with refs from a neutral section. The refs are out there doing the best they can and I'm sure that line judge would feel bad if he saw the tape on that.

The only reason I mentioned the possibility of the fix being in was a prior poster stating it in gest. I certainly would not even consider that to be an actual possibility, especially with refs from a neutral section. The refs are out there doing the best they can and I'm sure that line judge would feel bad if he saw the tape on that.
I get what you're saying and I'm sure there are refs that cheat for certain teams. With that being said, I would think the guy made an honest human error in this situation. He most likely thought the receiver had crossed the LOS but his split second judgement was off. Without having instant replay there is nothing for him to explain.

You just cannot throw this flag without 100% certainty you saw the infraction. First off the play starts in shotgun so one step forward on a backwards pass still puts the receiver 5 yards behind the LOS. Second he is never lined up to see whether that pass is a lateral for when the play starts he is on the LOS and the lateral took place 5 yards behind the LOS. An official just cannot make this call without 100% certainty especially when he does not throw the flag til he sees the reception made. He simply said it was an illegal forward pass and their was no more explanation than that. It did give us a 5 yard penalty and in the heat of the call Sutter also received an unsportsmanlike conduct call which moved the ball back even further and made it 4th down. A missed FG ensued from 47 yards out into a stiff breeze. I would love to sit with this official and watch this play with him. As stated earlier he was an NCS official. I DO NOT think it was fixed in any way. My point is you just can't throw this flag unless you know what you saw 100% !!!! It definitely hurt Sutter's chance to move on to state title game. It was a grueling hard fought defensive battle and you knew it would come down to a play like this to pull it off. Just a bummer. Back to the drawing board now and get ready for next season. Merry Christmas to all of you and Happy Holidays from Sutter Nation

Reactions: therunningsloth
Goes on par with the NCS officiating throughout the season. The officials are more concerned with keeping people out of the coaches box than officiating the game. To bad for Sutter, seemed the right time to dial up a trick play. The timing of the ref and his behind the back flag throw looks out right suspicious, like he tossed it behind his back so nobody would see how late he threw the laundry after the TD was caught.

Reactions: therunningsloth
Jesus guys is there a grassy knoll at River Valley stadium too?

It's HS football refs, the NFL guys have been brutal as well and they're pros (sorta). We got the benefit of a frame by frame break down of a Youtube video.

It was a blown call. However, based on where the linesman was standing and what he was looking at, it probably looked like the first pass was a forward pass and did not travel backward. He was not at a good angle to see, and you can tell he was not looking back for that. Bad call. But to say anything more than a bad call, something that happens with regularity in HS/College/Pro Football games, is a bit far fetched.

Yeah I agree, just a bad call. To me it looks like the ref is reaching for the flag and having a tough time pulling it out. Then does what he can to throw the flag back to the LOS and get eyes on who came down with ball.

The play was executed properly and should not have been penalized. The first pass was clearly backward and in todays rule book verbage was a backward pass ( no longer called a lateral). The second pass was forward and it wouldn't have mattered if the receiver had moved across the neutral zone as long as when he did throw the forward pass that both of his feet were in or behind the neutral zone. Unfortunate that the official either guessed that there were two forward passes on the play (illegal) or that the forward pass thrown by the wideout from beyond the neutral zone. ( also illegal)

Before i post this...congratulations to Sierra and go win a bowl game. Also...I'm not a Sutter guy....but i felt like puking when a left this game.
i was at this game. it was decided by penalties, which many were "blown" calls. that is what they were, nothing more.
lets call this what it is....a game decided by referees blowing game changing calls. Sutter won on the field and doesn't get to go.
What a shame for those young men, for that officiating crew etc. etc. etc.

some questionable penalties besides the illegal forward pass blown call.
1st half - Sierra 3rd and 8ish in their own 20ish. Same side judge calls a "horsecollar" on sutter from across the field and 20 yds downfield and 15 yds behind the play and on opposite side of the field. He was 40 yds +/- away from the play and this was not even his call to make. Sierra O stays on the field. next play was a hit out of bound on sutter (likely legit, could not see this as well). 2 plays 30 yds Sierra TD.
After this call, I started calling this side judge "Phantom"....for this Phantom horsecollar call.
the refs dominated the 1st half...with a distinct advantage to Sierra in terms of # of calls and yardage. BLOWN CALL

1st half - 3rd and 5 ish. Sierra QB scrambling (he is a fantastic athlete BTW). He has three Sutter D Lineman coming after him....one is hooked around the neck by an o lineman and another dlineman's jersey nearly ripped off from behind. he scrambles for the 1st down leading to a sierra score. no holding call with the side judge within feet of the play (this is the opposite side judge). BLOWN NO CALL

3rd Qtr. - Sutter 3rd and long. 35 yd +/- play action pass complete for 1st down into Sierra side of field. Late flag for a high/low. was watching the receiver and not the line, but flag came out on time. probably a legit call?

4th Qtr. - THE BIG BLOW. Game deciding Blown call takes the winning TD off the board. Sierra may have changed their calls on their last drive and gone for TD instead of field goal on their last 3rd and long, but in this tight of a game, this blown call made the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT