ADVERTISEMENT

Youth basketball does spread COVID

I posted this on the football board, but it applies to all sports. No easy solution that gets up safety and providing opportunties for kids.

1) Should youth sports be happening in any fashion right now?

2) If yes, is it safer to do them in a school setting or a club setting?

The answers aren't simple in either case, but I agree with their premise that if youth sports are happening, it needs to be done by people who understand and are willing to follow guidelines. This is more likely to happen through the schools than what we have going on right now

Reactions: GBBall4L
Honestly, the facility is partially to blame but the parents and coaches are the ones that need to take responsibility.

The facility was an enabler. In state, against public health orders, I blame them. Parents going to other states, where those states are open, I would blame the parents. People are dying and these guys held a tournament?

Profit trumps safety -- and people convince themselves that what they're doing is OK so they can justify continuing to make money. Sadly, it's human nature ...

But maybe we're done now, and we can ride out the rest of the pandemic without making things worse by having events like these.

Reactions: thatch62
The facility was an enabler. In state, against public health orders, I blame them. Parents going to other states, where those states are open, I would blame the parents. People are dying and these guys held a tournament?

Blame the facility for creating the event and the environment. But, you can't hold him solely accountable for the problem. He cannot have a tournament without participants. What about the coaches and parents who signed these kids up and allowed them to play? If these teams are participating in tournaments, they must also be practicing, right? Wouldn't that be just as bad?

Blame the facility for creating the event and the environment. But, you can't hold him solely accountable for the problem. He cannot have a tournament without participants. What about the coaches and parents who signed these kids up and allowed them to play? If these teams are participating in tournaments, they must also be practicing, right? Wouldn't that be just as bad?
I do not know how you guys/girls raised your kids but I made the decision about mine and if something goes wrong and I was fully aware of what we are stepping into then that is on Me the parent but I guess that, parents being held accountable is old fashion.

100% blame is on the organizers and facility for the event. If you put candy in front of a baby, they're gonna eat it. IF you don't, they won't. It's really a shame that some people aren't smart enough to think for themselves. It's all about the bottom line and if anyone tells you its about exposure or development, ask who's watching? NCAA has shut down all recruiting for the time being. yet parents think that playing in a tourney will get them that scholarship.....puh-lease!

100% blame is on the organizers and facility for the event. If you put candy in front of a baby, they're gonna eat it. IF you don't, they won't. It's really a shame that some people aren't smart enough to think for themselves. It's all about the bottom line and if anyone tells you its about exposure or development, ask who's watching? NCAA has shut down all recruiting for the time being. yet parents think that playing in a tourney will get them that scholarship.....puh-lease!

Really...100%...Come on! This is a parent problem. I don't care who throws a tournament, camp, clinic, or practice, if Mom/Dad says "yes, my child can participate;" then that is 100% the responsibility of Mom/Dad. Parents ultimately make the decision on whether their child will participate in an activity and assume the risk of doing so. You can't put the sole blame on the person hosting the tournament.

Really...100%...Come on! This is a parent problem. I don't care who throws a tournament, camp, clinic, or practice, if Mom/Dad says "yes, my child can participate;" then that is 100% the responsibility of Mom/Dad. Parents ultimately make the decision on whether their child will participate in an activity and assume the risk of doing so. You can't put the sole blame on the person hosting the tournament.

Agree the blame is on the parent, but if the event isn't held, then there would be no participants. If you don't provide the supply, then there is no demand? And think about it...the liability isn't on the parent, it's on the person who threw the event and the facility. If someone died as a result of covid and there were rules in place to not have these events, it's possible the organization and facility could be liable for hosting an illegal event (again if the county prohibited this from the beginning)

Last edited:
Horrible analogy we're not talking about Babies were talking about adults

Agree the blame is on the parent, but if the event isn't held, then there would be no participants. If you don't provide the supply, then there is no demand? And think about it...the liability isn't on the parent, it's on the person who threw the event and the facility. If someone died as a result of covid and there were rules in place to not have these events, it's possible the organization and facility could be liable for hosting an illegal event (again if the county prohibited this from the beginning)
it is easy to sit in your high chair and criticize people that have lost all source of income and do not know how they will pay there next mortgage payment. The blame is on the parent.

it is easy to sit in your high chair and criticize people that have lost all source of income and do not know how they will pay there next mortgage payment. The blame is on the parent.

You're talking about not being able to may a mortgage payment but travel to a basketball tourney? GTFOH! Some people/parents have the common sense of babies...look at the proof! 77 confirmed cases...who knows how many more were not reported. I'm not sitting on a high chair but will say that avoiding large events like this are really a no brainer. Covid has impacted the lives of people all ages. But that still isn't an excuse to put your life or your kids lives in danger.

Terrible analogy. The owner of Courtside has many income opportunities and well as business ventures. This is not the only source of income. They are not the guy working at Applebee's who lost in paycheck.

Terrible analogy. The owner of Courtside has many income opportunities and well as business ventures. This is not the only source of income. They are not the guy working at Applebee's who lost in paycheck.
Whatever, its on the Parent make good choices for YOUR CHILD

You're talking about not being able to may a mortgage payment but travel to a basketball tourney? GTFOH! Some people/parents have the common sense of babies...look at the proof! 77 confirmed cases...who knows how many more were not reported. I'm not sitting on a high chair but will say that avoiding large events like this are really a no brainer. Covid has impacted the lives of people all ages. But that still isn't an excuse to put your life or your kids lives in danger.
I do not need anyone to tell me what is best for MINE perhaps you do. Don't get me wrong because i do not want to sound like no Trumpster I put my mask on but come on i also don't need my hand held.

I do not need anyone to tell me what is best for MINE perhaps you do. Don't get me wrong because i do not want to sound like no Trumpster I put my mask on but come on i also don't need my hand held.

that's cause you're logical. others? not so much...tha'ts all im saying

Whatever, its on the Parent make good choices for YOUR CHILD
I agree with that. Clearly the families decided to go and they knew the risk. But the business had direct orders to not have the event. So equal blame goes on them as well. They provided the crack pipe. Sure the crackhead ultimately suffers but the provider of the crackpipe can pay his mortgage at least.
Or if you drive the car and your boy rob the trap house and shoot the room up, he still gets a murder charge too.
Yes, mom knew there was a risk but she thought covid was a joke too. Until she in the bed with that fever and cant smell or taste her skinny vanilla iced latte chai venti.

I agree with that. Clearly the families decided to go and they knew the risk. But the business had direct orders to not have the event. So equal blame goes on them as well. They provided the crack pipe. Sure the crackhead ultimately suffers but the provider of the crackpipe can pay his mortgage at least.
Or if you drive the car and your boy rob the trap house and shoot the room up, he still gets a murder charge too.
Yes, mom knew there was a risk but she thought covid was a joke too. Until she in the bed with that fever and cant smell or taste her skinny vanilla iced latte chai venti.

Thats funny even though it ain't funny. :-D

Whatever side you are on about who is to blame, colleges are still recruiting. The NCAA has shut down campuses to recruits as well as in person attendance by collee coaches, but coaches are watching online games. I had 3 schools call this week on players of ours out playing in events recently with their clubs. Now, what events you are in will determine who, if any, are watching. But colleges are recruiting via online games right now. We even had two kids get offers in the last 3 months from virtual recruiting.

There are practices, games and tournaments going on in California every day and every weekend. This is not an isolated event. Stanford and Cal played last night but it is okay because it is in Berkeley. These events are not going to stop. There are loopholes and exceptions all over the place. Do we really think hair and nail salons are not going to be open for three weeks? They are open even if you have to use the backdoor. Judging by the shopping center parking lots it does not seem folks are adhering to the 10-20 percent capacity requirements.

I think Trump was right, this will be gone by Easter, Easter of 2021 that is.

There are practices, games and tournaments going on in California every day and every weekend. This is not an isolated event. Stanford and Cal played last night but it is okay because it is in Berkeley. These events are not going to stop. There are loopholes and exceptions all over the place. Do we really think hair and nail salons are not going to be open for three weeks? They are open even if you have to use the backdoor. Judging by the shopping center parking lots it does not seem folks are adhering to the 10-20 percent capacity requirements.

Are you serious? You can't compare Stanford and Cal which are colleges that have testing and protocols to high schools. Even if we all agreed high school kids shouldn't okay right now I do believe college and pro sports which have protocols and money for testing should be allowed to play. There are no fans so it's no big deal. But remember we talking high school not college or pro. Those are two different things.

Reactions: Norcal_Fan

Sure Cal and Stanford played.... but i would guess 200 other games have been cancelled because of corona. The college kids who are student athletes are probably being extra careful and they live in a controlled environment for the most part if on campus. the best of a bubble they can do and it still is not working too well. As for shopping I have had to stand in line at Target, Marshalls and the 99 cent store in Alameda County. So they are adhering to the rule here. But again what does that have to do with high school basketball? I mean you kinda need toilet paper and hennessey to survive. not so much a jv basketball game of irvington vs kennedy

it's crazy and hopefully this will just be a bad nightmare by next spring and yes Hennessey is a necessary item😂

Reactions: jstblev
I think that those who say that the parents are responsible, and those who say the coaches are responsible, and those who say that Courtside is responsible are all right. And while responsible parents certainly are in the best position to decide what is good for their own children, this isn't just about their children. It's about anyone else who may come in contact with their children, be those teammates, the people working the snack bars, their friends at home, grandparents, etc.

The only way to limit the pre-vaccination spread of COVID is to avoid unnecessary activities, and to comply with medically approved guidelines when participating in necessary activities. While there's nothing I'd love more than to be back out working with my girls, and I know they're also eager to be back out, I don't see any responsible choice other than to patiently wait it out, and hope we can still get a season in.

Cal football just ended their season with only four out of eleven games. and they are tested every other day. Can high schools or independent tournaments do that?

Reactions: ClayK
I think that those who say that the parents are responsible, and those who say the coaches are responsible, and those who say that Courtside is responsible are all right. And while responsible parents certainly are in the best position to decide what is good for their own children, this isn't just about their children. It's about anyone else who may come in contact with their children, be those teammates, the people working the snack bars, their friends at home, grandparents, etc.

The only way to limit the pre-vaccination spread of COVID is to avoid unnecessary activities, and to comply with medically approved guidelines when participating in necessary activities. While there's nothing I'd love more than to be back out working with my girls, and I know they're also eager to be back out, I don't see any responsible choice other than to patiently wait it out, and hope we can still get a season in.
ball is life. the parents think if they do not play now that they wont make it to the nba. so it is essential.

• Haha
Reactions: thatch62
We cannot ignore the fact that other parts of the country have found a way to continue to find some type of normalcy for their studen athletes. The NHFS says that "22 states have played regular-season basketball contests so far, with two additional states scheduled to start play later this month..." Food for thought...

Article can be found at the below link: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/with-...es-expected-to-be-playing-high-school-sports/

I think what makes this whole thing crazy is that our state didn't even try to conform to playing. all they did was push back everything. I feel like if those 22 states found a way to make some sort of normalcy for these kids to still play and follow all guidelines and covid protocols I think our state should have. How are you going to have 20 sports be played in 6 months when you have 2 and 3 sport athletes or small schools whos numbers are low and basically share the same kids because they play everything? and sports will run into each other...So that will delay the kids who transitions from what sport to another? not only the will the kids health on the line but also there physical wear and tear on the body trying to compete and the mental state of these kids dealing with school online and battling depression and suicidal thoughts. It alot that these other states took into consideration to try and create high school sports as normal as possible. our kids have been sitting since march that's all I'm saying

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT